• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Does anyone have video of his #3 UpB that buries the opponent? As much as I love the Super jump punch this sounds interesting! And so does his fireball customs as well. Nice work!
Lanuigi made a video about it on YouTube.

I don't think the head bury thing will be that great, too easy to see coming tbh. Fireballs sound ok.

Luigi's easy uppercut custom on the other hand...that looks damn good haha. Straight missile looks nice too for recoveries.

Last edited:

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Lanuigi made a video about it on YouTube.

I don't think the head bury thing will be that great, too easy to see coming tbh. Fireballs sound ok.

Luigi's easy uppercut custom on the other hand...that looks damn good haha. Straight missile looks nice too for recoveries.
Just watched it thanks. I agree easy super punch and straight missile look good so far. B#2 fireballs are cool because they drop down when you're in the air. I'd still want to test out UpB#3 just because its giving me looks-can-be-deceiving vibe but time will tell... come on Wii U release date!

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Yeah sorry to you all...I had other things to take care of but hopefully I can put something out for you guys soon,

I also need to play some Melee and Brawl because i don't want to spread information that is false. I already like I have somewhat with the down-B. I was never good at utilizing it in Melee so I can't say/remember if its the "same" or something just different from Brawl.(NEVER MIND TESTED..WAS WRONG)

One thing I will try to do for people (mostly Luigi) is use this replay channel. People can upload videos from the 3DS and watch other matches online. Its funny all the matches I see on here is of Luigi losing but once. But I'll put the Luigi winning one up later tonight...Editing and rendering it first. Its Luigi vs Pikachu. (Give me an hour or so)

And one more note about down-B, myself as well as other people I'm watching shy away from using down-B to recover. Again I'm not sure if its the exact same as its Melee version or if its just new timing thing.

EDIT: Not like melee...

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
He is definitely better.

Luigi and Mario have the best down throws in the game potentially.
I probably didn't give Luigi enough of a chance, but he seemed to be worse than he was in Brawl. At the least, being offstage was definitely worse. Missle is slower both with movement speed and cooldown, and it doesn't travel as much distance as it did before (even with misfire). Cyclone also does not rise as high from jumping cyclone and it doesn't even do anything when you attempt a non-jumping cyclone in the air (and I'm a monster at mashing B).

On the other hand, Luigi does seem ridiculous onstage. I found combos to be very doable and lethal at times, and grounded cyclone is a great move. Not to mention weak landing nair to upb was possible at higher percents.

I'll likely try him out again when I get my own copy of the game because Luigi's mah mans, but I do worry about his viability considering he's super free offstage. My initial thoughts, if custom movesets are legal for tourneys he'll definitely need them to be relevant.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I probably didn't give Luigi enough of a chance, but he seemed to be worse than he was in Brawl. At the least, being offstage was definitely worse. Missle is slower both with movement speed and cooldown, and it doesn't travel as much distance as it did before (even with misfire). Cyclone also does not rise as high from jumping cyclone and it doesn't even do anything when you attempt a non-jumping cyclone in the air (and I'm a monster at mashing B).

On the other hand, Luigi does seem ridiculous onstage. I found combos to be very doable and lethal at times, and grounded cyclone is a great move. Not to mention weak landing nair to upb was possible at higher percents.

I'll likely try him out again when I get my own copy of the game because Luigi's mah mans, but I do worry about his viability considering he's super free offstage. My initial thoughts, if custom movesets are legal for tourneys he'll definitely need them to be relevant.
With how it's (first impressions are) going so far, most characters need custom moves to be relevant.

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
With how it's (first impressions are) going so far, most characters need custom moves to be relevant.
I haven't looked much into custom moves yet so I can't say anything on that. Luigi's lack of recovery was a huge letdown for me but finally seeing his custom moves gives me a lot of hope.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet

Yeah that is correct about the tornado. I was testing it and it really solely depends on the momentum from your jump. Thats why I haven't been using it to recover much. Because I'd only do it if I was directly below the edge and need to get up but normally your jump and up-B is enough already. I do use it sometimes to go diagonally forward when recovering but thats about it.

I still want one or two days of training mode and some for glory play before I stay anything but I can say again that although hes been nerfed, he was also buffed by just the game in general. I think overall since alot of stuff has changed (removed the easy recovery with tornado, made super jump punches more punishable, missile can be completely stopped by some or all projectiles) Luigi players WILL have to play better than they did in Brawl. Which isn't a bad thing. We will have BETTER LUIGI players !!!

Again though...I'll try to see as much things as i can

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I haven't looked much into custom moves yet so I can't say anything on that. Luigi's lack of recovery was a huge letdown for me but finally seeing his custom moves gives me a lot of hope.
From what I seen with Fox's, Ganondorf's, Ike's, Mega Man's, and Zelda's custom moves threads, the general consensus is that the default moves are less effective than the custom ones. They're not bad, but people see the new moves and their possibilities and feel that the custom moves are much better. First impressions as always. DmC: Devil May Cry's combat was bashed since trailers, the demo, and release, but some players were able to pull off wicked stuff with lots of research and experimenting.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Yeah that is correct about the tornado. I was testing it and it really solely depends on the momentum from your jump. Thats why I haven't been using it to recover much. Because I'd only do it if I was directly below the edge and need to get up but normally your jump and up-B is enough already. I do use it sometimes to go diagonally forward when recovering but thats about it.

I still want one or two days of training mode and some for glory play before I stay anything but I can say again that although hes been nerfed, he was also buffed by just the game in general. I think overall since alot of stuff has changed (removed the easy recovery with tornado, made super jump punches more punishable, missile can be completely stopped by some or all projectiles) Luigi players WILL have to play better than they did in Brawl. Which isn't a bad thing. We will have BETTER LUIGI players !!!

Again though...I'll try to see as much things as i can
But just double jump and upb aren't enough imo. I have a strong feeling that the metagame will eventually evolve to where chasing offstage to edgeguard will become commonplace and if that does happen, Luigi is screwed. His missle is predictable and has little priority as it did before but now it is slower and easier to punish both on and off the stage as well. Cyclone stays easy to punish offstage but does not give you enough of an upwards boost as before. And when comparing this to other characters' recoveries, you can see that Luigi will just fall into low-mid to low tier as he was in Brawl.

I'm not saying this to get people down, because I'm really hoping I'm wrong about some of this as I wanted Luigi to be relevant for smash 4. I'm just going by what I've seen and tested so far.

From what I seen with Fox's, Ganondorf's, Ike's, Mega Man's, and Zelda's custom moves threads, the general consensus is that the default moves are less effective than the custom ones. They're not bad, but people see the new moves and their possibilities and feel that the custom moves are much better. First impressions as always. DmC: Devil May Cry's combat was bashed since trailers, the demo, and release, but some players were able to pull off wicked stuff with lots of research and experimenting.
Just gotta hope custom moveset tourneys are approved etc. Which should happen since it'll give reason to running 3DS tourneys alonside Wii U tourneys once both games are released.

Last edited:

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
But just double jump and upb aren't enough imo. I have a strong feeling that the metagame will eventually evolve to where chasing offstage to edgeguard will become commonplace and if that does happen, Luigi is screwed. His missle is predictable and has little priority as it did before but now it is slower and easier to punish both on and off the stage as well. Cyclone stays easy to punish offstage but does not give you enough of an upwards boost as before. And when comparing this to other characters' recoveries, you can see that Luigi will just fall into low-mid to low tier as he was in Brawl.
Definitely understand where you are coming from. I feel that people will defeitely try to edgeguard because people survive for much longer in Sm4sh. But I still have to be optimsitic (at least for now). I mean Little Mac is designed to be similar in the sense that he is a beast onground and pretty bad at recovering. Future not looking bright but still some chance

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Heres the match I found on the replay channel and I'll try to get more that I see might be interesting...should I start a new topic for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6MdGhvi2rA
Most noteworthy thing here is that Luigi's up B has about 1/3 of the helpless state as Brawl up B. Guess that's a double edge sword for recovery though.

Unfortunately, I am starting to see where people are coming from revolving around Luigi's viability judging from gameplay vids. He's going to have the same problems, and it appears recovery has been traded for on stage prowess via combo ability.

So I'm betting middle tier again. Not low. He wasn't even low in Brawl, contrary to popular belief. But I guess I'll need to get SSB4 first to judge.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
My thoughts overall based on what I played and what people have said:

Overall: Not a bright future competitively for Luigi. Extremely hard to play efficiently due to recovery game
and the "increased" difficulty for playing him because of the easy components that have been removed. I'm referring
Up-B being more punishable, Recovering being harder, etc. I feel only "skilled" players will break out in the big events.

Pros:
- Aerial playstyle is still the same. Most Back-airs have lag so Luigi having some wasn't really
a Luigi thing.
- Aerials just seem normal as in Brawl.
- Running A attack isn't horrible. It's not the best but its the only Smash game where I say sometimes I use it
on purpose.
- Down-air's sweetspot is increased? Unsure. Maybe it's because of the Down-Throw setups but I've gotten
a TON of spikes already in this game.
- Down-Throw can be followed up pretty nicely most of the time. I don't know which moves work the best at what
percentages but it seems to be pretty good all around the game.
- I have spiked with Down-Air from a Down-Air into a Super Jump Punch (Up-B). Spiking opponents into the ground
causes them to bounce up even if they aren't currently on the ground. I've had the most success doing this
above 100%.
- Forward-Air appears to be better than it was in Brawl. At least to me. I'll try to elaborate sometime but it just feels better.
- Down-B is very good for combat.

Cons:
- Recovery game is bad. Primarily the fault of Green Missile!
- Green Missile is horrendous. It stops momentum for nearly (if not) all projectiles. I killed my videos discussing
all of this post but made a post to laugh at how bad the priority is by making this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJosZphGJf0
- Down-B recovery is dependant on the momentum of your jump. Using it without this in regard will cause you
to fall horribly. I tend to shy away from using this as my recovery as much as possible. I'm just scared of getting
gibbed on the initial animation of my jump into Cyclone (Where then I'll be hopeless). Diagonally towards the
stage is how I use it and so far I like using it that way the most.
- Up-B makes you turn very fast upside down. Which leads to you having very little room to move when wiffing a
Super Jump Punch. I've always get punished for whiffing Up-B if I miss because I can't dodge them going to the ground.
A platform maybe your only hope.
- The slide that occurs (moving forward then letting go of control stick) because of Luigi's traction is very
annoying to deal with for someone like me. I like to be competitive but I never stress myself enough
to clean up the tiny things that make a difference. This needs to be one of them.
When you slide in Brawl, you can either jab, shield, jump, spot dodge or roll. in Smash 4, you can only
roll backwards or jump in the sliding animation.
- Forward Smash angled Upward isn't quick anymore. In Brawl, angling the Forward Smash allowed you to
spam it faster than normal. Seems all angles of forward smash is the same speed now.

Unknowns:
- I appear to be out-ranged alot of the time by alot of characters. Maybe its the influx of sword users?
- Killing power seems low for Luigi for some moves disregarding the large blast zones. Neutral A, Up Smash.
Could be just the blast zones.
- B may or may not be better. Looking at Mario's fireball, Mario's fireball is definitely better. But not so sure on Luigis.
-Custom moves are still a toss up. The forward-B custom moves appear (to me) to be better than the original

Last edited:

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Would Luigi's Mach Cyclone fix his recover issues?
Damn I forgot to include the custom moves bit. The original Cyclone is still good but either or I need to test to see which is better. I don't think you can go so wrong to pick one or the other though.

However, both custom moves for missile appear to be more useful than the original by far.

D

Deleted member

The slide that occurs (moving forward then letting go of control stick) because of Luigi's traction is very annoying to deal with for someone like me. I like to be competitive but I never stress myself enough
to clean up the tiny things that make a difference. This needs to be one of them.
When you slide in Brawl, you can either jab, shield, jump, spot dodge or roll. in Smash 4, you can only
roll backwards or jump in the sliding animation.
Does this mean you can't have Luigi preform an up smash while he's sliding? I loved doing that in Brawl...

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Does this mean you can't have Luigi preform an up smash while he's sliding? I loved doing that in Brawl...
You can still attempt to Up-Smash while running before you let go of the stick and do the "slidiing animation". The slide for that is less than Brawl but its still there. But you must charge the up-smash before you let go of the circle pad otherwise you just slide and be stuck in that sort of sliding thing

D

Deleted member

You can still attempt to Up-Smash while running before you let go of the stick and do the "slidiing animation". The slide for that is less than Brawl but its still there. But you must charge the up-smash before you let go of the circle pad otherwise you just slide and be stuck in that sort of sliding thing
Ah! So it is still in Smash 4! Thank you!
Does any of the custom Green Missile moves increase priority at all? It's pretty sad and pathetic to see a simple dash attack stop Luigi...

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Ah! So it is still in Smash 4! Thank you!
Does any of the custom Green Missile moves increase priority at all? It's pretty sad and pathetic to see a simple dash attack stop Luigi...

No I wouldnt say its in. Its there but not something i would consider a sliding up-smash. What I meant to say is you dont stop dead in your tracks. Ill try to post a gif of it.

But heres a gif of the slide for now

And no custom moves dont increase the priority of it.

Attachments

D

Deleted member

No I wouldnt say its in. Its there but not something i would consider a sliding up-smash. What I meant to say is you dont stop dead in your tracks. Ill try to post a gif of it.

But heres a gif of the slide for now

And no custom moves dont increase the priority of it.
I see. Thank you.

And really? That's stupid. I hope that they patch this or something because this seems pathetic.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
wicked research Lanuigi.

Luigi in brawl felt almost perfect for me (despite how horrendous some of his traits were) and it's looking like he'll stay similar enough to keep him smexy in smash 4.

we'll deal with these changes and send some peeps to the moon with our f-smashes and up-Bs!

D

Deleted member

Yeah the priority of it is pretty funny ...well a little funny

Anyway heres the sliding up-smash
Kinda funny... but mostly sad. This will make recovering as Luigi a bit more tedious and painful. The most painful part of maining Luigi are his easily gimpable recovery moves and it doesn't sound like they entirely improved it here.

Ah! That's what I've been mentioning! I'm glad that I could still do that!

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
wicked research Lanuigi.

Luigi in brawl felt almost perfect for me (despite how horrendous some of his traits were) and it's looking like he'll stay similar enough to keep him smexy in smash 4.

we'll deal with these changes and send some peeps to the moon with our f-smashes and up-Bs!
I definitely agree. Luigi in Brawl is easily my favorite rendition. Well, I wish his missile and fireball were slightly more useful is my only complaint. [Fireball definitely look faster in SSB4].

I poured enough time in Luigi to never be defeated in years as him.

Although that was after we banned Meta Knight. Since every other matchup was actually winnable.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Kinda funny... but mostly sad. This will make recovering as Luigi a bit more tedious and painful. The most painful part of maining Luigi are his easily gimpable recovery moves and it doesn't sound like they entirely improved it here.

Ah! That's what I've been mentioning! I'm glad that I could still do that!
Can Luigi Cyclone still get good height right after a midair jump?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh geez Green Missile getting out prioritized like that is just a joke. :(
...Then again it never really was a good option for approaching anyway.

Recovery... looks like Luigi players will have to work harder to outmaneuver projectiles that opponents
might throw their way before using the missile.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the Green Missile should only be used as a last resort now, or when you are trying to recover from far off. I'm worried about Falco's lasers.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
General consensus I hear about Luigi is that he's low or bottom tier in this game.

Here I was just hoping he'd be back in mid again. Hopefully things change.

Last edited:

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
From all the gameplay Ive seen he looks more or less the same as brawl. Some nerfs and some buffs. But then again he may feel completely different when actually playing him so who knows

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
Well I can "conclude" as off today that Luigi is buffed in some departments: down-throw combo starter, deadly combos, setups to Shoryuken, an easier and more powerful spike; and some nerfs: worse recovery, back-throw not as strong.

We'll see how this changes (as well as the new engine) make him as the game's meta develops.

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
General consensus I hear about Luigi is that he's low or bottom tier in this game.

Hes not bad at all. You have to be on point with your recovery. Your second jump and how you use it with missile, tornado, and super jump punch is important.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I can't wait until I get the game so I can write a massive analysis on Luigi and give my own thoughts instead of just hearing from others. 12 more days!

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
On the subject of the Missile, could it be used mid air as a sort of combo-ender? It kinda just hangs out there, so it could potentially catch people trying to air dodge, but it's also slow enough to cause their air attacks to whiff if they throw one out to try and limit your approach. Plus there is always the chance of getting a misfire and scoring an unexpected KO.

I feel that the move has no use as an approach option on the ground and is a shoddy at best recovery option, so I'm racking my brain trying to find a use for it.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Dair to jumping missle might be a thing at high % but not completely sure. It seemed like it could work when I was playing Luigisama yesterday.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

You hear that a lot about him, dunno how much of it is true really. He's always Luigi to me. Even if this is the case, I feel like the tiers in this game might not be incredibly definitive(the balance seems really good.)

It all boils down to how many dedicated Luigi mains are gonna push his meta far enough.....which is a scary thought considering he's avoided a lot for some reason : (.

Top Bottom