• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of the Missile, could it be used mid air as a sort of combo-ender? It kinda just hangs out there, so it could potentially catch people trying to air dodge, but it's also slow enough to cause their air attacks to whiff if they throw one out to try and limit your approach. Plus there is always the chance of getting a misfire and scoring an unexpected KO.

I feel that the move has no use as an approach option on the ground and is a shoddy at best recovery option, so I'm racking my brain trying to find a use for it.
Well, as a hopeful Jigglypuff main, I want to say it is okay to have one or 2 moves that aren't as good xD

Donyoku

Greed
I think Luigi wont be that bad, though of course I have not played the game yet to test it out with him. However, after reading the information posted I have to say that I feel Luigi still isn't as bad as yall are making him out the be. I will say he doesn't stand out as crazy potential or anything like that but, I believe he can definitely hold his own. After watching a few videos since there aren't much out there honestly I feel Luigi will be viable for competitive play at this moment in time. No one just out right beats him and he still has options for aerial combos and things of that nature his recovery has been nerfed from what I have heard, which of course is a problem.

One thing I believe Luigi may have to his advantage is being able to go off stage and attack at times since he has quick and strong aerials and quickly get to the stage. Of course that's just something I think, haven't tried it of course and haven't seen possible punishes for the attempt either.

Anyways I just feel like Luigi can be something this game if people (myself included) actually develop his game and make something out of it. Everyone just stop being so negative. :luigi:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
To me Luigi just looks like mostly a copy/paste from Brawl with a few tweaks, except slightly traded recovery and slightly less kill power [Due to blast zones] for more aerial prowess and combo ability. Still have the same range problems and bad approach. I have no idea if Luigi sped up in the air movement wise or not. He definitely looks faster dash wise.

Still looks like a middle of the middle tier to me *Shrug*. Not low tier by any means.

McX

Smash Cadet
Shofu posted a video of him destroying a dark pit as luigi. I can't put the link in here because I don't have 10 posts yet.

It seems luigi is basically the same as brawl. His upsmash range is still excellent, and he looks even more erratic than before.
Could be a few changes due to knockback, because it doesn't seem like jab to upB is the same as in brawl. It seems to work more on aggressive, spammy opponents. Still looking forward to destroying people with luigi though. He's excellent for KOing at low percentages.

Do we know anything about the luigi cyclone? Can it still travel upwards?

Also, with the new ledge physics, should we be using the down taunt as a KO move?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I will say one of my favorite buffs I have witnessed so far is that Dair spike is much simpler to land.

[Same goes for Mario and his fair meteor smash].

McX

Smash Cadet
Luigi's nair still has high priority and is still an excellent combo starter. Dthrow seems a little more difficult to use as a combo starter than before, but it can still be done using a nair probably.
That usmash range though. Just perfect.
Also nice one with that dair spike. Maybe we can go nair/dthrow to dair spike combos, since opponents bounce off the ground now with the changed physics. A favorite of mine was dthrow to dair to nair to dthrow and uairs. I don't really know if uairs work as well now.

Last edited:

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
With the new bounce physics off of an on-stage spike, I wonder if dair spike would set up for a fire jump punch at low percents? If they are in hit stun long enough after the spike, it could work.

McX

Smash Cadet
Possibly. The hitstun has to last until the character acquires their maximum downwards speed, otherwise we'll have to chase the opponent into an aerial fire jump punch which is a bit risky. Honestly, we should check out what percentages will make the jump punch a killer move. Luigi tends to be good when he gets early KOs.

McX

Smash Cadet
That looks really good then. If we can get a long enough combo to get someone up to 60-70%, we can instantly KO a lot of characters really quickly.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Luigi Cyclone 2 looks boss; makes me feel a ton better about Luigi's recovery. The Missile customs both look pretty nice as well.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeyhynY_hkILuigis Super Jump Punch KOs lucario at 58% at 3:10
That luigi looks really free.

On a side note I think the cyclone gets the same height, but it may seem difficult to pull due to the fact that it is hard to do on a 3DS. I say wait until the wii u to see if Cyclone rise has been reduced. Also Cyclone can kill now and at low percents. Lastly lol since it connects now you can rise with it and follow up with an aerial.

EDIT
Jab hit stun on characters in Smash 4

I apologize for the poor quality. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnE-q2AxXXpSPWfeQK89J4T28OXcXrh8

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
That luigi looks really free.

On a side note I think the cyclone gets the same height, but it may seem difficult to pull due to the fact that it is hard to do on a 3DS. I say wait until the wii u to see if Cyclone rise has been reduced. Also Cyclone can kill now and at low percents. Lastly lol since it connects now you can rise with it and follow up with an aerial.

EDIT
Jab hit stun on characters in Smash 4

I apologize for the poor quality. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnE-q2AxXXpSPWfeQK89J4T28OXcXrh8
To cyclone rise, you need to jump into it for max height

McX

Smash Cadet
Apparently it's really hard to mash on a 3ds (probably with that flat surface). Maybe the cyclone goes higher than we think. I know using momentum out of jumps still exists in this game because I saw it with ike's custom neutral B.
I'm seriously looking forward to using luigi in this game. I loved him in brawl, so free and felt so good to use.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Apparently it's really hard to mash on a 3ds (probably with that flat surface). Maybe the cyclone goes higher than we think. I know using momentum out of jumps still exists in this game because I saw it with ike's custom neutral B.
I'm seriously looking forward to using luigi in this game. I loved him in brawl, so free and felt so good to use.
I can mash pretty good but thats how it is now unfortunately

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Ok...watching that custom video, did people see Luigi's 1st tornado custom? WITHOUT jumping, hits the top of the screen.

Customs needs to be legal dang it!

Luigisama

Smash Champion
B-but doubles ;-;
Doubles with customs? I heard my friend did that and he was losing a lot because it was just crazyness. I would just go to use the character with the most annoying custom moves and try to win with it to get that whole thing banned.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Doubles with customs? I heard my friend did that and he was losing a lot because it was just crazyness. I would just go to use the character with the most annoying custom moves and try to win with it to get that whole thing banned.
lol you really hate custom moves don't you?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
So far I know that me, Raptor, and Eli(the one that is uploading the Dk videos) hate custom moves.

Custom moves would be an interesting side event, but the tournament standard? Lol "guys we have to watch out for each custom move" Oh no I didn't know he'd use that one! noooooooo!. I'm not ready for this match up!

They are going to have to make up rules.
1.Only one custom move ban
2. Only one custom move change per match. C'mon learn to adapt people
3. You are responsible for the glitches that the customs moves may cause and if you do a glitch that stalls the match you are disqualified.

I apologize if it seems like I'm trolling. I'm against custom moves, but I have nothing against people who want them.

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Why the general hate?
To me I see the custom moves as a replacement to custom stages and they make the game unfair; even to the point where the game just doesn't make sense. Lol at luigi up b that spikes you into the ground. If I remember correctly customs stages were being used, but were eventually banned in the beginning of brawl. I think the same thing is going to happen to custom moves.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
To me I see the custom moves as a replacement to custom stages and they make the game unfair; even to the point where the game just doesn't make sense. Lol at luigi up b that spikes you into the ground. If I remember correctly customs stages were being used, but were eventually banned in the beginning of brawl. I think the same thing is going to happen to custom moves.
Thats not even comparable and the custom moves arent even broken to begin with. I made ALL of those videos to show that, going in detail for almost 400 moves.

I'm not saying have them day 1 but it should be standard at one point. This allows the game to be more balanced rather than ruin it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I interrupt the current discussion to bring you all this very, very important image:

Weegee Swag

Donyoku

Greed
It makes me hope that there might be more people that don't like customs.
Sadly right now you are in the minority. Most of the community is actually supporting custom moves at the moment. I can't say whether it's bad or good since I don't have the game yet. But they don't seem too bad after watching videos. And some people's argument is that some characters may need custom moves to be tournament viable.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Every move has its drawbacks. Compared to other games where some characters have almost their entire moveset changed, this is tame. Are you really complaining about Luigi's up-b pitfalling someone? Is anyone really gonna get hit with that besides maybe an airdodge punish?

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
i'm probably going to raw dog it with the default moves. if i'm going to get bopped, i will get bopped the way our forefathers showed us!

1000th post too, whoooooooo i've been here too long.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone ever stop to think that Luigi Cyclone 3 is basically the return of Smash 64 Luigi Cyclone?

Top Bottom