• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lagtastic Online Discussion Thread **Sephiroth for S-Tier**

Status
Not open for further replies.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Try to not go off topic, Chaco and I will watch the thread closely and give warnings here and there if people start to drift off.
Props to you Zen, for copying the OTL Social Thread's rules word for word. You missed this, at any rate, lol.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Word for word? No, I personally typed that part up. Not to mention, the social threads in almost every board have very similar wording.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think it started out as Xiivi's final draft, then some other mods edited into their own threads. I noticed that a good deal of that was OTL's, and it was never fixed, because Chaco was mentioned.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad this place is gonna get better now. I'm thinking of writing up a guide to taunt parties soon but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time with finals and I'm not gonna have internet access for a month (unless a can find a way to use it while I'm on vacation).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Who did YOU Brawl today?

lol the "how to post without looking stupid" thread is awesome. the gambit of "gobots vs transformers" threads and the inane will no longer hog the attention of the average page hitter, and some topic titles that were sure to slaughter interest from anyone who's competent in the game will now see a pleasant variety of information about online brawl.

so...

Who did YOU Brawl today?

Well today I've only logged in once before it got kinda spammy sooo

I took on...

Sonic
Toon Link
Snake

The sonic tried to play that lets hang out at the edge of the stage and try to bag KOs with grabs. meh, M > sonic in that scenario, nAir ftw

TL was ok except he couldn't get a good shot in thanks to pokemon trainer! M's good buddy.

Snake was... haha snake. I'm beginning to find snake less of a good pick for teams but that's not always true cause an extremely precise snake will get his hits in without dmg his team mate... as much. :p

--ha! as if on que I logged in for round two and got a much better Snake. This one was good enough to basically dominate teams. You know you're good when you have all the KOs and everyone else is just ... there. Still took dmg tho, but not nearly as much lol

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Who did YOU Brawl today?
I just had to save a reply today in With Anyone (which I rarely ever do). I was playing Team Battle with a snake on my team, against a sonic and an MK. As soon as the match started, the sonic runs at me full speed (I started by the edge), I spot-dodge but he runs right by me and off the stage. I could tell it was an accident cause after that he was really trying to get back up, but he got stuck under the edge of FD and ended up SDing.

So after that the MK pissed me off by taunting when my aether got stuck under FD (which he played no part in). Both sonic and MK knocked snake away and began to chase him off-stage when I jumped out of the halo and spiked them both with a well-placed dair. Sure enough they were constantly trying to prove they could do it too after that, MK attempting to gimp aether every chance he got... sonic SDed two more times using his dair on me off-stage and missing.

Anyways, I had to save that reply cause in total there were like 18 legitimate deaths in two minutes (like no one was killing themselves as soon as they respawned on purpose... but it happened).

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
lol, I've never had a Snake partner who didn't end up blowing me to bits by the end of the battle.

I actually "played" basic brawl today...well more like watched. If you have ever entered a match where one of the opponents just stands there the whole time, thats probably someone like me. Today I watched A snake, Luigi, and CPU Wolf fight while I just stood back(Theres a reason why I was doing this...)
The luigi and CPU ended up in sudden death...and let me tell ya, the CPU has some serious mind games. Right at the start, the Luigi did his down-B towards wolf, and at the same time the Wolf jumped backed evading the attack and then did his Up-B at Luigi causing an instant death. It was pretty hilarious. :laugh:

Anyway, thats my story of the day.

The reason why I was watching in the first place was because sometimes I get this random error on my friend roster where it says everyone is offline, even when they are online. When I exit Wi-Fi and come back I'm still disconnected, but I found that entering a basic brawl reconnects you =D.

Nysyarc- lol, I have to see that.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I just had to save a reply today in With Anyone (which I rarely ever do). I was playing Team Battle with a snake on my team, against a sonic and an MK. As soon as the match started, the sonic runs at me full speed (I started by the edge), I spot-dodge but he runs right by me and off the stage. I could tell it was an accident cause after that he was really trying to get back up, but he got stuck under the edge of FD and ended up SDing.

So after that the MK pissed me off by taunting when my aether got stuck under FD (which he played no part in). Both sonic and MK knocked snake away and began to chase him off-stage when I jumped out of the halo and spiked them both with a well-placed dair. Sure enough they were constantly trying to prove they could do it too after that, MK attempting to gimp aether every chance he got... sonic SDed two more times using his dair on me off-stage and missing.

Anyways, I had to save that reply cause in total there were like 18 legitimate deaths in two minutes (like no one was killing themselves as soon as they respawned on purpose... but it happened).
It's always funny when you spike someone, and they try doing it too. Usually, they Fast fall and end up SDing. I got bored and did nothing but DAC with Snake for one battle and the next battle, one guy does nothing but his Dash attack canceled into U-smash.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
It's always funny when you spike someone, and they try doing it too. Usually, they Fast fall and end up SDing. I got bored and did nothing but DAC with Snake for one battle and the next battle, one guy does nothing but his Dash attack canceled into U-smash.
I don't know what it is about spiking but it always seems to piss people off :confused:

Like, I could punish a roll with an fsmash to KO someone or just charge my usmash as they fall and let them airdodge into it... no problem with those embarrassing deaths. When I spike someone though? Doesn't matter if it's with dair, dtilt or Aether, they come out of that halo with vengeance in their bearing. They start going all-out trying to spike me too or at least KO me as many times as possible.

That's why I like spiking :)

I love it in FFAs when two or more people jump off-stage to try and gimp each other and I'm the only one left on-stage. I just shorthop -> dair off the edge and I'm almost guaranteed to get at least one random spike. Same goes for team battles but it's hard to get both your opponent's off the same side of the stage at the same time. Good fun.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what it is about spiking but it always seems to piss people off :confused:

Like, I could punish a roll with an fsmash to KO someone or just charge my usmash as they fall and let them airdodge into it... no problem with those embarrassing deaths. When I spike someone though? Doesn't matter if it's with dair, dtilt or Aether, they come out of that halo with vengeance in their bearing. They start going all-out trying to spike me too or at least KO me as many times as possible.

That's why I like spiking :)

I love it in FFAs when two or more people jump off-stage to try and gimp each other and I'm the only one left on-stage. I just shorthop -> dair off the edge and I'm almost guaranteed to get at least one random spike. Same goes for team battles but it's hard to get both your opponent's off the same side of the stage at the same time. Good fun.
That reminds me, I somehow managed to tech two Marth spikes and one stage spike in one battle yesterday. He got really mad after that and started focusing on my sister who was afk.
EDIT: I just realized this actually used to be the Wi-fi johns thread. :p

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Steel you never answered me :mad::bee::mad:

Zajice- Moved it here since the question was answered.

Let me tell you though, with blue connection there is a major difference. The lag is pretty inoticable! Everything else pretty much is the same for me, with a few exceptions...

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
answered what? about the clans? i haven't asked chaco yet, but as far as I know clans aren't to be discussed in this board.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
It's more like a Catalog.
All the clans would be posted in the OP with a link to the social group for quick acess and advertisment.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Another Social thread?

Hmmm everyone to me seems effected equally by lag.
Its just the randomness of lag throws everyone off. xD

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
To me Ness and Lucas (even more Ness) are effected a lot more than others becuase of their Up-B. Even with little lag their Up-B is thrown way off and you lose most of your control over it. All of Ness' jumping techniques are thrown off by a large scale too, making his attacks easily avoidable by the opponent. I can only play ness when I have really great connection. Usually blue/green connection. Other wise, too many SDs. To me a character like Jigglypuff is least affected. Because she is so light and aireal she is a little more managable.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
When I play with Falcon online that he is just more uber. xD
I can actually land punches and feels like I can actually combo.
Except MK still gives me trouble. All I can do is shield and hope a smash attack hits. D:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I end up nairing off the edge to my death a lot as Ike because of the lag. I'll go to do a jump -> aerial attack, but the input lag will skip the jump and buffer the A button, which means that if someone pushes me off the edge in that short time, Ike = dead.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Lol. I do that sometimes with Ike. At moments instead of making it worst by moving, I wait a bit to move back to the stage. Unless its some accidental Fast Falling N air were I'm screwed.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You know, I've never really liked camping and all of that nonsense, but I found something that's kind of fun to pass the time when I'm bored in With Anyone.

If you're on a stage like FD, BF or SV, camp right by the edge with Ike, and backthrow people who come near. It's the instinct of any newb to do one of two things at that point: jump immediately back to the stage, or fall for a little while to do their upB.

In scenario one, I shorthop and spike them with a dair. In scenario two, I either walk-off dair or dtilt to spike them, depending on whether they jump before their upB or not. It's actually really amusing how often it works. I got 7 spikes in 2 minutes doing this just now.

Just thought I'd share that.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, I'd rather not :p

I used to take With Anyone mode seriously, but I don't even try anymore. I turn on explosive items and attack them when someone comes close enough. I don't taunt spam, or spam at all for that matter, I just blow things up (including myself) and spike people.

Ah the wonders of anonymous online brawling.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I end up nairing off the edge to my death a lot as Ike because of the lag. I'll go to do a jump -> aerial attack, but the input lag will skip the jump and buffer the A button, which means that if someone pushes me off the edge in that short time, Ike = dead.
Yeah that happens to me all the time. I've learned to be very cautious at the edge with Ike.

Teams are a bit more serious than with anyone imo. DiScuss. D:<
I've only done teams once I believe so I wouldn't know. I think I will try it out next time I'm have nothing to do. Discuss.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Oh, well I meant With Anyone in general (Basic Brawl and Team Battles), I prefer to do the aforementioned goofing-off in Team Battles because everyone in there is more serious :p

Although you do speak the truth; 90% of Basic Brawl matches are just complete nonsense.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I still suck with online Brawl, maybe it's because the characters I use doesn't do well with Online Brawl, Kirby, Ness, Wario, and Lucas. XD

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I don't see how Kirby or Wario would have it particularly hard. Ness' and Lucas' recovery would be made more difficult though. There really aren't any character that are hit too much harder than others because of lag IMO. Maybe some are slightly more affected than others, but not enough that online Brawl would need it's own tier list.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I've been debating with myself for a while now whether an online tier list is needed. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. At first I thought it would be completely unnecessary, but as I think about it I can imagine there being a significant number of differences from the normal tier list. For example, Ness would most likely drop down and character gaps would probably be decreased. The thing is lag is spontaneous and unpredictable so in order to make an online tier list, some sort of lag scale would have to be determined.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
We can do it if it will bring more activity to this board.

Since the minimum frame lag is 6 ( i think ), we should use 6.

Thoughts everyone?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I was thinking of determining some sort of average, so it could account for higher ranges of lag as well.

It's also possible to have one made for various ranges rather than just one. Such as 1 for minimum lag, horrible lag, and somewhere in between the two.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
somebody tell me olimar is wack!
(i advise you not to for those who obviously didn't get the sarcasism)

:olimar:the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom