• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The lack of l canceling is not a bad thing.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Haha, really now.

What your argument really comes down to is one thing. Winning. That's all you care about. And you're afraid. You're afraid that without your techniques you can't win. That you'll be beaten by some nobody who played cheaply. That's all this is really about.

You know, you win some and you lose some. True no one likes to lose, but that shouldn't stop you from having fun. As the saying goes, "winning isn't everything."

And with that, I leave you to your own devices.
If we wanted to win, we would not attend tournaments where we get our ***** handed to us every other match. If we wanted to win, we would not spend hours trying to teach all of our friends advanced techniques.

Yes, when we're playing we're trying to win. A game wouldn't be fun if you weren't trying to win, would it? I've played plenty of different games (not just Smash) with people who didn't care about winning. No one had fun. In fact, we have a term for people who aren't trying to win a particular game--sandbaggers.
But ultimately, we're trying to have fun and we find battles of skill, strategy, tactics, reflexes, knowledge, and dexterity to be fun.

Tanzz

Smash Cadet
Winning = fun
Losing = fun
Smash = sick
Brawl = awesome

If you are seriously not having fun playing smash because of the way that people are playing the game. Then... wow...

Oh wait.... this thread is about L-Canceling, huh?

soap

Smash Hero
i play more to do sweet **** while im winning, although the doing sweet **** part sometimes gets in the way of the actual winning.

but the point is you cant do anything sweet in brawl so...

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Meh. What if some people like the spacing and camping? I think it's fun/hilarious.

And who knows. Maybe we'll have a competitive scene that's constantly cycling out veterans and newbies, kinda like a lot of TCGs like Yu-Gi-Oh!. I dunno.

In any case, this is a giant babyfest. You guys should stop arguing and start playing whatever games you prefer playing/finishing your homework.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the first post wholeheartedly. The principle of L-cancelling is terrible game design.
L-canceling isn't terrible game design. What people don't seem to understand is that Brawl wasn't the first game designed to work without L-canceling; both the others were also supposedly balanced based on preset lag times on every move. L-canceling was designed to give you an option to go beyond that, but it involved an inherent risk, which is that you might miss, in which case you get punished. That is an obvious, but brilliant, design mechanic: it allows for extra depth, but doesn't require it (unless you want to compete). I never saw anyone complain that Melee's lagtimes were too slow before Brawl. Now everyone acts like this "auto-cancel" is some amazing new development. It's not. But *limiting* everyone to that really *is* terrible game design, because now there are weaknesses built around lagging moves which you are completely unable to overcome.

L-canceling was never the standard. It was the option to push the game further, with a risk. It's not like it's difficult to perform or particularly arcane; it was even in an official strategy guide. Anyone who was interested in playing Melee seriously was easily capable of finding out about it.

Giving players extra options can never be terrible design. Limiting players' options is.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
You know what pisses me off about unavoidably laggy aerials? Light and Forte's new videos have shown that Ganon's dair is SO laggy that even if you land it, your opponents hitstun will usually wear off before your lag does. This means that even if you brilliantly and stategically mindgame your opponent into a stomp, if it doesn't kill them they often get to reciprocate with a free hit and you can do nothing about it.

Jackal478

Smash Ace
You know what pisses me off about unavoidably laggy aerials? Light and Forte's new videos have shown that Ganon's dair is SO laggy that even if you land it, your opponents hitstun will usually wear off before your lag does. This means that even if you brilliantly and stategically mindgame your opponent into a stomp, they often get to reciprocate with a free hit and you can do nothing about it.
Then dont use Gdorf. xD

almost every character has one lame move.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
I just read an article that shows why it could be a good thing to have l-canceling in Brawl. Although the depth that l-canceling gives is rather pointless, having it in just increases the overall skill needed to reach the max potential. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144559

I still don't feel that the lack of one specific technique is necessarily bad, though, and I still think my original post is relevant. There are going to be other techniques, and there still is going to be the most important thing- mindgames.

Let me use chess as an example, though. Say for whatever arbitrary reason you were no longer allowed to castle. Castling is a huge technique in Chess, and many people's entire strategies would be destroyed by this rule. Although people may hate it, chess, after people had gotten over this disruption, wouldn't have to be a worse game.

(I'm also going to put this into the OP)

TheBigBadCow

Smash Cadet
First, l-canceling has no strategic depth whatsoever. The reason for this is that, once learned, there is simply no reason to not do it. When there’s no thought downside to doing something, no reason to take another path, there’s obviously no strategy involved.
You can say the same thing about teching, DI... heck, even shielding and dodging. Why not have those removed, too?

All the general depth that l-canceling provides in Brawl is pointless and unnecessary.

See above comment. L-canceling, just like sheilding and dodging, is just another defensive move... Its only harder to do because it takes timing. There is no other difference, really.

Although it did good things for Melee, this is a new game, and it is no longer needed.
You really can't use that excuse. Brawl is not Melee 2.0, but its still a Smash Bros game and still uses the same concepts. L-canceling would be just as useful in Brawl (perhaps even more so) than in melee.

The only valid excuse I could accept for talking L-canceling out, is that its too difficult for casual players to utilize, which is definitely true but ironically, you didn't even mention. Now, based off of impressions so far, the lack of L-canceling is really hurting some characters (cough, Captian Falcon). Taking it out was a bad decision... At the least, they could have balanced the removal with reducing lag on some characters moves.... but they didn't... I think that's unfair.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Why are people so opposed to reflexes, muscle memory, consistency, and dexterity being a part of Smash? It's a fighting game! Of course you need fast, accurate, and precise fingers!

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Comparing l-canceling to shielding or grabbing is misleading. While it is "one specific technique" in a sense, it is a catalyst for literally hundreds of strategies and combos because it allows you to chain any moves together in any way you want. Instead of having 20 different options out of a dair, some offensive and some defensive, you might have just one option now-- sit there and lag for a second.

Anyone here played much Tony Hawk's Pro Skater? The original game's combo system is incredibly basic and limited because you cannot link tricks together. The sequels added the manual and revert, which allowed you to link tricks together in any way you want. Guess what happened? These two techniques-- yes, that's right, just TWO little specific techniques-- increased the depth of gameplay by a magnitude of 10. Same basic concept in Smash.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
LOL. Awwww you mean you have to learn all new advanced techniques?

CRY CRY CRY

anotherdeadcow

Smash Apprentice
i guess, to be honest, one of the elements about l canceling that i loved in melee was the speed allowed us to play at. honestly, what got me into ATs and competitive play was the videos of the pros. many years ago, when i didnt know about ATs and i saw those videos, they blew my mind. blinding speed, people sliding all over the place, all set to a rap song or some metal. it really didnt even look like smash, like lightning melee squared or something. it really inspired me to play at that speed, just because it looked so badass. when it comes down to it, i guess for me its fun to play that badass style, and its fun to pull off the multishines in fights and to, for example, di a shinespike into the stage, tech it, and dair fox on a tech wallkick. we didnt look anything like the pros but it still drew us into the game, made us talk smack when we pulled that **** off. i guess, bottom line, it gave us a lot to strive for, the badass pro videos gave us the motivation and it was really fun the whole time.

i guess i personally am just worried (maybe prematurely) that brawl wont have as much to strive for, which upon reflection might actually be what a lot of people are dissapointed about.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
i guess, to be honest, one of the elements about l canceling that i loved in melee was the speed allowed us to play at. honestly, what got me into ATs and competitive play was the videos of the pros. many years ago, when i didnt know about ATs and i saw those videos, they blew my mind. blinding speed, people sliding all over the place, all set to a rap song or some metal. it really didnt even look like smash, like lightning melee squared or something. it really inspired me to play at that speed, just because it looked so badass. when it comes down to it, i guess for me its fun to play that badass style, and its fun to pull off the multishines in fights and to, for example, di a shinespike into the stage, tech it, and dair fox on a tech wallkick. we didnt look anything like the pros but it still drew us into the game, made us talk smack when we pulled that **** off. i guess, bottom line, it gave us a lot to strive for, the badass pro videos gave us the motivation and it was really fun the whole time.

i guess i personally am just worried (maybe prematurely) that brawl wont have as much to strive for, which upon reflection might actually be what a lot of people are dissapointed about.
Quoted for truth.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I agree, but it still added tech skill, which separated a lot of ignorant people from the people who actually care.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
You can say the same thing about teching, DI... heck, even shielding and dodging. Why not have those removed, too?

See above comment. L-canceling, just like sheilding and dodging, is just another defensive move... Its only harder to do because it takes timing. There is no other difference, really.

You really can't use that excuse. Brawl is not Melee 2.0, but its still a Smash Bros game and still uses the same concepts. L-canceling would be just as useful in Brawl (perhaps even more so) than in melee.

The only valid excuse I could accept for talking L-canceling out, is that its too difficult for casual players to utilize, which is definitely true but ironically, you didn't even mention. Now, based off of impressions so far, the lack of L-canceling is really hurting some characters (cough, Captian Falcon). Taking it out was a bad decision... At the least, they could have balanced the removal with reducing lag on some characters moves.... but they didn't... I think that's unfair.
You didn't really get the point, did you?

I'm not saying it was good that it was removed. I'm saying it's not bad.

You cannot say the same thing about teching, DI, shielding, and dodging. Teching is broad, and you have three options of direction when doing it. Thus there is yomi in it (go to Sirlin.net to learn about yomi, yomi = good for tourney stuff.) Unless you mean smash DI, taking out DI would make it impossible to recover, because you couldn't go forward (with most characters), instead of shielding, you may want to just light shield, run/WD/jump away, roll, or spotdodge. Dodging is a concept, not an actual move (unless you mean spotdodging, which would conflict with your shielding argument) which would mean that you can't really take it out.

I the second part doesn't really need addressing, because you were just addressing your above logic.

This is addressed to the rest of your post and many of the posters afterwards. L-canceling isn't the culprit of the lack of linked moves or speed, the devs could've just made the lag much less, and then you could do all that stuff. Also, I've said that multiple times in this topic already. Learn to read instead of glance over big posts before replying.

Also, I'm not against l-canceling or anything, I just don't think it's a bad thing (=/= being removed is a good thing) that it's gone. Read my edit on the first post.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
And Brawl is not a new game. You hit them off and don't let them back. They have hampered the means to do BOTH of these things.

Brawl should be renamed: Super Smash Bros. Spacing.
I really think it's too god**** soon to come to such conclusions, and even if it's true, we really need to reassess what we mean by depth because I see plenty in character matchups--even more so than in Melee. Because of all the technical depth in Melee it became all about SPEED characters, so power guys were rendered entirely useless.

And I'd rather play SUPER SPACING BROTHERS LAWL with 15 viable characters that SUPER FAST BUTTONS MELEE with only 4.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
Haha, really now.

What your argument really comes down to is one thing. Winning. That's all you care about. And you're afraid. You're afraid that without your techniques you can't win. That you'll be beaten by some nobody who played cheaply. That's all this is really about.

You know, you win some and you lose some. True no one likes to lose, but that shouldn't stop you from having fun. As the saying goes, "winning isn't everything."

And with that, I leave you to your own devices.
Wow, I have been found out. Nice ad hominem argument.

I'm not afraid of losing, that would be ********. I don't even have the game yet. I'm afraid the game is going to suck, and therefore I wouldn't want to play it competitively, and with the release of Brawl, Melee tournaments will die out, and I will have to move on to something else (Halo, Guilty Gear, learning flash, etc.).

I REALLY LIKE playing Melee competitively, but if that stops happening because Brawl is released, and I don't want to play Brawl because it sucks, I lose something I used to enjoy immensely. But yeah, I 'm afraid of losing something I enjoy, not losing in the game. I go to tournaments expecting to lose at some point, because I know I'm not that good.

Do you think I was amazing the moment I started playing Melee competitively? To think that I won't start over again because I'm afraid of losing is a weak argument that doesn't really prove anything I've said wrong.

Furthermore, hypothetically, if I were afraid of losing, that still wouldn't make any of my arguments (the ones you have ignored) less valid.

GG.

Sliq mains Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff is capable of playing a very not-fun game in Melee. The point is that since you're playing a game, it may as well be fun. If "winning" and "having fun" are not possible to combine in competitive play, then Brawl will not be good as a competitive game.

This has nothing to do with the party game and one-player game aspects of Brawl, obviously.
I wouldn't be surprised if I was amazing in Brawl, just because all Jigglypuff is is spacing and floating around, and that's all that Brawl is.

And yeah, some people don't like fighting Jiggs. I personally don't see it, I love fighting Jiggs, just NOT WITH JIGGS.

LOL. Awwww you mean you have to learn all new advanced techniques?

CRY CRY CRY
Go ahead and tell us which new techniques we have to learn. WOULD NONE BE AN ACCURATE AMOUNT? I THINK IT WOULD.

I really think it's too god**** soon to come to such conclusions, and even if it's true, we really need to reassess what we mean by depth because I see plenty in character matchups--even more so than in Melee. Because of all the technical depth in Melee it became all about SPEED characters, so power guys were rendered entirely useless.

And I'd rather play SUPER SPACING BROTHERS LAWL with 15 viable characters that SUPER FAST BUTTONS MELEE with only 4.
You do realize that the removal of l-canceling HURTS slower characters, right? The fact that faster characters land with almost no lag, while slower one land with huge amounts, makes them much worse than in Melee.

For example, if Fox's nair is 12 frames in Melee, 6 frames l-canceled, and Ganon's fair is 25 frames, 12 frames l-canceled, who benefits more (note: I don't know the actual frame data, this is just an example)? Ganondorf drops 13 frames, while Fox drops 6. Plus Fox's running speed is faster, giving him more maneuvrability.

If anything, the removal of AT's HURT slower characters. Except you wouldn't know that because you are a non-competitive noob.

Shipa

Smash Rookie
It´s funny how so many competitive players keep saying brawl has no ATs, most of them has not even played the game yet. It took, at least, a year to find the ATs in melee and people want them to be found in brawl under a week or two? And if they are so "pro" to use and casuals would never be able to use them, do you think those with brawl right now would be able to FIND new ATs and then be able to use them repetedly under just 2 weeks when in melee we had years on us?

Long story short, those ATs that will affect the gameplay as much as wavedashing, those ATs that are so hard to learn, will not be found in a day as so many of you seem to think/want. If they were found and somewhat mastered in a week, would they even be so pro to use?

Tatertots441

Smash Rookie
I think removing l-cancel is all part of the shift away from fast move spamming, and having greater consequences for moves that are not well thought out. They implemented the new system that reduces move effectiveness if you spam a move, and I believe that eliminating l-cancel is a way of furthering their goals of diversifying game play. This is also evident in the improvements of many characters B-move set. For instance Falcon's Falcon punch is now mid-move reversable and Falcon Kick does more damage. Brawl wants to make the B button more applicable beyond just projectiles and recoveries. These actions are all attempts to expand game strategy and move variation.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think removing l-cancel is all part of the shift away from fast move spamming, and having greater consequences for moves that are not well thought out.
So making Marth and Peach have even less lag than their l-canceled melee counterparts is their way of doing this? And making Gannondorf slower than his non l-canceled self was basically just a giant nerf. If they take out the button press and speed everyone up then it is okay, but what is not okay is to speed a few characters up while making the othersslower than they were without L-canceling. They made the speed gap between these characters even more extreme than it was in melee!

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
It´s funny how so many competitive players keep saying brawl has no ATs, most of them has not even played the game yet. It took, at least, a year to find the ATs in melee and people want them to be found in brawl under a week or two? And if they are so "pro" to use and casuals would never be able to use them, do you think those with brawl right now would be able to FIND new ATs and then be able to use them repetedly under just 2 weeks when in melee we had years on us?

Long story short, those ATs that will affect the gameplay as much as wavedashing, those ATs that are so hard to learn, will not be found in a day as so many of you seem to think/want. If they were found and somewhat mastered in a week, would they even be so pro to use?
Here's some Copypasta for you, since you can't read:

You guys just don't get it. First off, ADVANCE TECHNIQUES need to be discovered for Brawl. Next, they have to add more depth, or an equal amount of depth, to its predecessor, otherwise the predecessor is superior (for tournament play; Brawl is OVER 9000 times better than Melee in terms of noobs that didn't play tournament Melee).

Therefor, if Brawl is a step backwards, it is a failure.

You all seem to think that there some magical techniques we haven't found in the game that are just going to make everything all better. Not only will these techniques need to exist, they have to be on par with those from Melee in terms of depth gained.

Right now, Brawl has no combos. This is of course an exaggeration, but as it stands right now, landing 2 hit combos is the standard, and personally that seems pretty ****ing boring.

Right now, Brawl matches are just Jigglypuff dittos, both people spacing until they land a hit, with the other getting hit too far to combo, but not far enough to be killed. JIGGLYPUFF DITTO'S ARE ****ING BORING, EVEN WITH MELEE AT'S.

Right now, the movement system in Brawl has less options then Melee, and therefor has less depth.

You guys all seem to think that we don't get new **** will be found.

What we are saying is, if new things aren't found (substantial new things), based from what we have seen so far, BRAWL IS GOING TO BLOW.

Then you retort some line about Rome not being built in a day (except you don't use that metaphor because that would make you look clever). Either that or you spout the good ol' mantra MELEE 2.0, as if the core gameplay mechanics are different at all.

"You can't approach this game like you did for Melee."

"What, you mean hitting them until you can hit them far enough that they die? I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE ENTIRE GAME!?."

Snap recoveries are ********. You can't possibly argue for them adding depth, because it eliminates the skill needed to sweet spot, and the ability to edge guard from the stage. Now you have to go out there and hit them, which only happens when the don't DI well enough so they can LITERALLY float back onto the stage WITHOUT using their second jump.

I want someone to address these points without using the "new game defense", or the "we'll find stuff defense." Go ahead. Let's do something DIFFERENT as opposed to serving up stale copypasta over and over again.

1.)Combos reduced due to less hitstun, more landing lag, and better DI. Slower pacing, making it less exciting.
2.)Less movement options (DD and WD removed and not replaced with anything new). Less options means less depth.
3.)Auto-snap recoveries. Eliminates skill, and competition is based off of skill.

As Melee stands, it revolves around Combos and edge guarding, and right now neither are prominent at all in Brawl.

I already know someone is going to reply to these with the same old, tired bull****.

tl;dr

You think some magical AT's will be found to make things better. If nothing is found, Brawl will suck. RIGHT NOW NOTHING HAS BEEN FOUND, and we can ONLY base hypothesis on CURRENT KNOWLEDGE, seeing as none of us are ****ing psychic.

Tanzz

Smash Cadet
Its not about discovering new magical ATs that probably won't exist. Its about trying to play brawl as a completely different type of game. Go read Hylian's article.

And if Brawl does end up sucking, I guess we will be playing Melee.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
Its not about discovering new magical ATs that probably won't exist. Its about trying to play brawl as a completely different type of game. Go read Hylian's article.

Once again, different doesn't mean better. Quit repeating the same arguments over and over and address my ****ing points.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Sliq stop arguing, its rather pointless. Scrubs don't understand.. their arguement is lol tourney***.. just continue making money playing while they charge smash attacks against their friends and BAWWWWW

Galt

Smash Journeyman

I know Hylian personally. He lives here in Austin. I know he has a lot of street cred over at GameFAQs, but around here... I don't think most of us Austin-types would be endorsing any opinions of his. Go read his SmashWiki article sometime; you'll understand. See, it's a bad idea to brag to everyone about how technical you are when you can't beat them, because you're basically saying that you're a stupid player.

Brawl *isn't* a completely different game. It is still Smash, only dumbed down. Some physics were added/changed. The basic ideas remain the same. Only they don't work now, because *nothing* works. After less than two weeks playing Brawl, I pretty much don't want to ever play it again without Assist Trophies and Pokeballs on, because the matches are slow, tedious camp-fests. It just isn't fun, and I'm not even sure I'd like it if I'd never been a competitive Melee player. And don't even get me started on SSE...

The experience I'd like to get across to people is that, while I'm playing Brawl, I'm not thinking "Wow, this game is terrible." I'm thinking "I don't understand." The game's design makes no sense. It is stupid. If you haven't played it, wait until your character trips for the first time. You'll suddenly understand.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
While I agree with your opinion I think your viewing it wrong. Its not that brawl doesn't need L canceling because it does it for you. Its not because L cancel would have made brawl better. Brawls individual air moves have their unique landing lag so that by design moves are useful at different heights. Brawl doesn't NEED L canceling because its not based around it. Now instead of hoping you land the shield at the right time on the landing its more important to know what move you can use at what height. if that isn't more DEPTH I don't know what your defining.

L canceling degraded the entire air game and made them all similar where it wasn't needed.

Brawl has streamlined and refocused whats important for success to win.

Tanzz

Smash Cadet
The game's design makes no sense. It is stupid.
Well, out of sheer hope, and what could be called fanboyism, I'm just going to stick to believing that this isn't true.... even though a lot of people are saying it is.

If so... then, that sucks... I guess...

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
L-canceling isn't terrible game design. What people don't seem to understand is that Brawl wasn't the first game designed to work without L-canceling; both the others were also supposedly balanced based on preset lag times on every move. L-canceling was designed to give you an option to go beyond that, but it involved an inherent risk, which is that you might miss, in which case you get punished.
What risk is there to L-cancelling? My understanding is that after doing an aerial attack, two things can happen: you can L-cancel and minimize the landing lag, or you can neglect to L-cancel and have the normal amount of lag. I don't see any risk to "missing" the L-cancel other than there not being an L-cancel. If there was extra landing lag if an L-cancel was timed wrong compared to there being no L-cancel at all, then it would make sense, but I don't think that's the case.

Top Bottom