• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The lack of l canceling is not a bad thing.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
You can either execute a move requiring an L-cancel that has a chance of failing or you can execute one that doesn't require an L-cancel.

You lose. Forever.
There's still no reason not to L-cancel, even if you don't have to (which is funny, considering the fact that someone else said that L-canceling is required).

No, I meant having a button for full jumps and a separate button for short hops.

You could use the same logic to make a case for powershielding.

I also would've pointed out auto-sweetspotting the ledge, but that's in anyway...
No. You can either powershield or risk breaking your shield to try to counter an attack, unless you're already in one.

And auto-sweetspotting is disabled if you press Down on the control stick.

Except in this game power characters actually have priority, super armor and can now get by with good prediction (see why Ike isn't made of fail yet?), something they lacked in Melee. Yes Ganon got screwed. Yes slower characters get hurt with less L cancelling... IN TERMS OF MELEE. You're going to keep hearing tired phrases of "MELEE 2.0 LOL" and "IT'S A NEW GAME LAWL" because all of your complaints are still centered as if this game should be played EXACTLY like Melee, which is completely false. You can play it SIMILARLY to Melee because the core game isn't gone. Exactly doesn't cut it anymore. SHFFL's a viable strategy only for Marth and a few others now as opposed to everyone having to do it just to stand a chance. Some characters actually have... *gasp* viable ground moves! Heck, Ganondorf, the worst character around, even has a forward b that can eat through most aerials (though that doesn't save him from being not predictable)! And yes, I played the **** game as testimony to this fact.

So no, I'm not going to trash talk and say "LAWL U NOOB TOURNEY***" and save any sort of condescending attitude for actual idiots instead of people that disagree with you.
My sentiments exactly. I wish people would stop whining about Brawl as it compares to Melee.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Are you talking about me? Because even though Brawl is a sequel I find it unfair to judge it ONLY in comparison to Melee and not on its own merits. A lot of things decent or even good on their own get passed over or criticized unfairly because they're too different or even inferior to source products--not referring to Brawl of course.

anotherdeadcow

Smash Apprentice
Vigilant:
look man, the fact that it was in 64 doesnt prove it intentional, but the fact that it was discovered and not removed along with numerous glitches shows that it was acknowledged and accepted. beyond that, whether it was intentional or not is meaningless, it was chosen to be something that remained in the game. whether it be poor design becomes completely opinion and pointless to argue.

and btw, its impossible to not compare melee to brawl. its a series.

EDIT: not disagreeing with Kuja above, who states it shouldnt be compared solely to melee, as that also contradicts the meaning of sequel.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I don't really now why everyone is argueing about whether l-canceling was intedended Melee. It removes half your arial lag time, things don't just do that themselves, they HAVE to be programmed into the game. However, it isn't in Brawl, so when they made Brawl they obviously didn't want it in for some reason. I personly didn't think l-canceling was needed; all it did was add technical depth, and if you want technical depth than you should go play Guilty Gear.

Brawl is a new game and not everything in Melee was going to be in it, but at the same time it will have the core of Melee in it, like stated above. Once again, This is Brawl, not Melee 2.0.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Wow, how many times is this tired "Melee 2.0" comment going to come up...I'd like to throttle the moron who came up with that in the first place...

We know it's not the next Melee, but it is the third game in the Smash series. Melee included everything 64 had and more, it's natural to expect the third sequel to continue the trend. It's not that people wanted the next Melee, it's just that people expected it to add on to what Melee had. Instead, things were vastly removed. It's just unexpected, a lot of us are still trying to get over it lol

hOmeb0i

Smash Rookie
i can live with no wavedash or l-canceling, im guessing sumthing better will pop up.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
If the next Tony Hawk game came out, and they had removed the reverts and manuals, which are the moves that allow you to link individual tricks and create combos, and expert THPS players had been hammering away at the game for a solid month trying to find ANY way to link combos and found nothing, the idiots here would probably be saying "Gus it's a new game, those moves were just added unnecessary tech skill and were pointless so I never did them anyway lol. I'm sure they'll find something better anyway."

Top Bottom