• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The lack of l canceling is not a bad thing.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
Before I get to the main part of the post, I want to say two things.
1)Read my whole post before replying or flaming, and especially read more than my title.
2)I know the initial negativity has died down somewhat, but I still think this needs to be said.

The first thing I should do is describe what I consider l-canceling. L-canceling (fully known as lag canceling) is a (mainly non-obvious) technique is the Super Smash Brothers games that reduces the landing lag of a player’s aerials.

Since Brawl has come out, I’ve seen many posts where people have said that they were disappointed by the apparent removal of l-canceling from the game, especially since it was there in E-for-All. Some common complaints were that l-canceling allowed for combos and safety that otherwise wasn’t there. People also said that it added depth to the game. The point of this post is to prove these, and hopefully any other, complaints flawed.

First, l-canceling has no strategic depth whatsoever. The reason for this is that, once learned, there is simply no reason to not do it. It’s like, in melee as Marth facing Sheik, purposefully doing an fsmash right out range of a fully mobile Sheik. You can shout, “MINDGAMES!” all you want, but regardless, you’re just opening yourself up for punishment. When there’s no thought downside to doing something, no reason to take another path, there’s obviously no strategy involved. This is in contrast to wavedashing, where you may want to jump or dash to move instead.

All the general depth that l-canceling provides in Brawl is pointless and unnecessary. I’d say it’s safe to say that anything that gives you more options or ways to move/attack/block/grab (especially when not obvious) is depth. Although very minor, being able to walk, run, or jump would be depth. Being able to light-shield is depth. When you l-cancel, it’s also technically depth, but it’s only useful having it in Melee. In that game, l-canceling allowed us to do combos or follow-ups otherwise impossible, and have greater safety when approaching with an aerial. Brawl is a fresh new game, however, and the devs had no reason to keep it in. The reason for this is that l-canceling just reduces lag. All they had to do was lower aerial lag in general. If they had kept melee’s l-cancel, and doubled Brawl’s average aerial lag (which they very well could’ve done) then the only difference would be that we have to press an extra button to get to where we are now. (It seems that we do have more average landing lag in Brawl then in Melee, but that’s not because of l-canceling’s exclusion.) There’s really no reason for them to have us press that extra button, except for one thing, and that is to keep a bigger gap between casuals/scrubs and pros/competitive players.

That has also been a complaint of some people, I believe. That too is flawed thinking, though. First off, I’m not going to show why it’s bad to want a gap, or just more depth in general. That’s not the problems. There are two main problems for wanting l-canceling just for the above described skill gap. One, advanced techs are not as much a factor as mindgames and smart thinking/strategy. That’s why Ken or Chu or whoever could probably 4-stock me in melee, because I use Melee’s advanced techs. There’s no way the developers can take that away. In fact, it seems like they’re putting a tiny bit more stress on such things in this game then in Melee (but that’s for a different post.) The other reason that wanting l-canceling for that reason is flawed is because Brawl, as already stated, is a whole new game. There are many possible new techniques that have yet to be discovered. I myself would be very surprised if we didn’t find a single new technique that overshadows what l-canceling did for Melee.

I hope that I’ve showed all of you why taking out l-canceling is not a bad thing for Brawl. Although it did good things for Melee, this is a new game, and it is no longer needed.

EDIT:

I just read an article that shows why it could be a good thing to have l-canceling in Brawl. Although the depth that l-canceling gives is rather pointless, having it in just increases the overall skill needed to reach the max potential. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144559

I still don't feel that the lack of one specific technique is necessarily bad, though, and I still think my original post is relevant. There are going to be other techniques, and there still is going to be the most important thing- mindgames.

Let me use chess as an example, though. Say for whatever arbitrary reason you were no longer allowed to castle. Castling is a huge technique in Chess, and many people's entire strategies would be destroyed by this rule. Although people may hate it, chess, after people had gotten over this disruption, wouldn't have to be a worse game.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
one of the best posts i've read so far.

in melee tournaments, everyone l cancels naturally and without thought.

if they remove L cancelling, no one can L cancel. whats the difference then? everyone's still even.

blue_dragon

Smash Apprentice
That is...a good point. I used l-canceling all of the time because I used heavy characters. I suppose I'll use Bowser's Klaw Jump now that that's been discovered instead.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
I don't think L canceling would have been as important in Brawl anyway because of how floaty everyone in and since most attacks have less lag time anyway it isn't really a big problem except for characters like Ganondorf.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I strongly disagree. I've played brawl and like half the aerials in the game are unusable because they're so laggy. The loss of L-canceling seriously hinders brawl IMO.

CasshernDGZ

Smash Journeyman
Well from a previous thread, ( I forgot which one,) But someone said, that the reason why l cancelling was taking off is because the just changed the game so it was obsolete. Due to all the characters being floaty, and some aerials having a lot less lag then others, you simply need to develop a completely different strategy, and in essence providing more depth into the game. But, good point none the less.

Jun.

Smash Lord
techniques such as lcanceling created gaps and levels between players which can be seen as both good and bad. You can walk up to any "smash player" and ask them 2 things, do you lcancel and wave? and you'll basically know what to expect out of them. That's not to say that if you lcancel and wd that you are good but it just shows that the player is aware of the techniques that are at their disposal. Whether they implement it well or not is a different story. Then there are melee players that say, "I play kirby cause down B is awesome." basically the same story.

I kinda wanted lcanceling to be in so that there could be a competetive edge but i'm sure Brawl will have its own subtleties that will create a gap between the casual player and the competitive player. so all you tech crazy people can either wait or just try crazy stuff out and see what happens. happy teching

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
i dont know what to think becuase i never played melee but it sound like a good thing thats its gone it one less think i have to do to be considered good

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
I strongly disagree. I've played brawl and like half the aerials in the game are unusable because they're so laggy. The loss of L-canceling seriously hinders brawl IMO.
This is where the OP's argument is flawed. True, L-canceling does not add strategic depth to the game, but it does make more attacks usable, more combos doable, more characters viable, etc. I'm not sad to see L-canceling go, since hopefully it will allow less technically advanced players to do well as long as they are smart players, but it certainly added tremendous depth to melee.

Coselm

Smash Ace
I agree wit hsome of this post. When all of my friends started l-cancelling and wavedashing and etc. the person who could mash buttons had a bigger advantage. Friends that I was once able to beat were now beating me. After a while, I became smarter, and was able to beat them even though I did not rely as heavily on l-cancelling at the time.

We don't need to l-cancel; Brawl does it for us!

Give those controllers a well-needed break!

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
This is where the OP's argument is flawed. True, L-canceling does not add strategic depth to the game, but it does make more attacks usable, more combos doable, more characters viable, etc. I'm not sad to see L-canceling go, since hopefully it will allow less technically advanced players to do well as long as they are smart players, but it certainly added tremendous depth to melee.
Read my whole post, both you and Sheermadness. I specifically said why this isn't the case. L-canceling was great in melee, but all the devs had to do for the switch to Brawl was decrease everyone's landing lag and we'd have essentially the same results.

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies, and cookies, though!

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
We don't need to l-cancel; Brawl does it for us!
...no it doesn't. With some attacks, yes, but not with all of them, which hinders you by restricting your choices for quick aerials and slowing you down upon landing, allowing your opponent to punish you for using non-cancelled aerials.

By the way, OP, how much competitive experience do you have? You seem like a smart guy, but you don't seem like you have much experience in the competitive scene.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Ban Heim, did you read my whole post? Or my post right above yours? I've already answered your disagreement.

To answer your question, in melee, I use l-cancel (and even SHFFL) all the time. I haven't been to any real tournies, where I know I'd lost, but I do keep up with the metagame, and have placed well (even won) in local tournies.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Read my whole post, both you and Sheermadness. I specifically said why this isn't the case. L-canceling was great in melee, but all the devs had to do for the switch to Brawl was decrease everyone's landing lag and we'd have essentially the same results.
Sorry, I must have skipped the giant paragraph where you covered that lol. My mistake. But anyway, there are still aerials in brawl that have lag that render them near useless, and in that sense it is a shame L-canceling no longer exists. However, as everyone has mentioned, its nice that now there is more a dependency on a player's mind than their fingers.

6uardianAngel

Smash Rookie
I don't think L canceling would have been as important in Brawl anyway because of how floaty everyone in and since most attacks have less lag time anyway it isn't really a big problem except for characters like Ganondorf.

I think that WAS the solution to L-Cancelling.

Great post by the way. :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Brawl does NOT all l-cancel for us. And the dev team did not put in "auto l-canceling". Like I said before I've played brawl and like half the aerials in the game are insanely laggy.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Flame me or not, but I do agree. I'm glad l-cancelling is out. It's not like I can't do it or anything, because trust me, I can. It's just, idk, for everyone to have to care which aerials they choose seems like a plus for me as having to press l and r so many times really got annoying. Not to mention I naturally choose the lesser laggy aerials.

The only thing that I will miss in Brawl is directional air dodging (and wavedashes/wavelands) - it was just SOO much fun!

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I must have skipped the giant paragraph where you covered that lol. My mistake. But anyway, there are still aerials in brawl that have lag that render them near useless, and in that sense it is a shame L-canceling no longer exists. However, as everyone has mentioned, its nice that now there is more a dependency on a player's mind than their fingers.
No problem.

I'd have to agree that there are aerials that have horrific landing lag in Brawl. They destroyed Ganon's air game. I have a (not as lengthy) theory about why they did that, though.
It seems that the devs want us to play a lot differently than in Melee for some reason. I believe that the huge-lag air attacks may be for finishes and whatnot. I earnestly think that the devs tried to make the slow moves/characters able to fight the fast ones, unlike in Melee. So far, their efforts have shown potential, but it's too soon to call for sure.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna flame you, but I disagreee ALOT. What kind of grudge do you have against l-canceling?? Seriously man, there are A CRAP TON of reasons to keep it in. You say that it has no reason to stay in the game?? That just boggles my mind, I'm sorry!! To say that you are glad to see it removed because, say, you couldn't do it in Melee is one thing (although that would also be wrong), but to say that it has no reason to be in the game is just another thing ENTIRELY!! You say that there is nothing wrong with having huge skill gaps between casuals and competetives, but then you turn right around and say that the one thing that really causes that gap has no reason to be in the game. You're not making a whole lot of sense here. The main advanced tech in Melee that really divided the casuals from the hardcores was l-canceling. Not WDing (though that was a major one as well), or SHing (also a major one, though probably the easiest of the three to do), but l-canceling. Just reduce the lag time in the first place?? HUHH??? I know that I didn't just read that!!

Actually, the reverse of your statement is true, they had no reason to take it out. Give me one GOOD reason. There isn't one. You might say that now it emphasizes the mental side more, but that's not true either. All the advanced techs did was INCREASE the options of the player. They don't decrease the mental side, they just give you more options in certain situations (which were practically always occuring). If you can come up with any GOOD reason besides 1) the mental side is emphasized 2) they had no reason to be in the game or 3) they were stupid, then comee talk to me. Until then, I'm out

~mario-man~

mario-man

Smash Lord
It evens the playing field... it takes out the biggest "seceret move"
excuse me, but that is one of the most stupid reasons I've ever heard. (and I've heard it plenty too)

also, do you now realize that this actually UNevens the playing field. Cuz now, slow characters are almost automatically garbage tier. They now have no way to approach, and if they do, they can only use it once or twice sincespamming moves reduces damage and knockback. Now what, they are forced to use REALLY laggy moves and will be punished.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, you're wrong. And this is why:
L-Canceling gave us choices. We could approach with an L-cancelled aerial and then either dodge, jab, shine, jump again or run away, mindgaming the opponent into trying to shieldgrab us and then punishing them for it.

Without L-canceling, there is no longer any shieldpressure (well, there is, but only for a very select few). Now, our choices are limited to playing a WoP-character, hiting someone's shield and getting shieldgrabbed or jumping towards and opponent and then away from it in fear of getting shieldgrabbed.

We could do all of this in Melee. We could just do a whole bunch of other things we can no longer do.

The slower characters with lots of lag on their moves are now useless on approach. They have nothing that is universally safe. If they space their aerials, the opponent can still shieldhop Nair/Fair/Bair them into infinity.

No, the removal of L-canceling did not add anything. It removed a lot of things. Just because L-canceling gave us a few options that were considered "the best" that were universally the most used does not make it bad.

Removing it and giving us less options is. Especially when said options suck compared to the ones we would've had with L-canceling.

You see, nobody ever forced anyone to use L-cancel or to use L-cancel in a specific way with specific followups (out of the many followups that were available). We all (including you) had choices. We could choose not to use it.

Removed L-cancel removes that choice altogether. We're now limited to a few options. The game didn't become deeper. It became less deep.

Please think before you post in the future.

Jun.

Smash Lord
relax everyone, there's gotta be something in the game to separate the casual with the competative

mario-man

Smash Lord
relax everyone, there's gotta be something in the game to separate the casual with the competative
If you would actually read our posts, you would know that that is not the only reason that we are upset about it being removed.

Fluff

Smash Cadet
All i have to say, is that me and my friends all play melee (alot) without l-canceling, without wavedashing, without hardly any advanced techs(im the only one who even reads about them on the net)... yet we still enjoy the crap out of it! Now, im not saying that you just need to swallow your words and get over everything, because you have an opinion. BUT! take into account that we cant expect brawl to be exactly how we want it. what we CAN do is ENJOY the game that we are presented with. is that so hard? just because they took out some advanced stuff, does that mean you cant enjoy it? if so then why are you getting it? just play melee if you like it so much more. Nobody here is wrong, btw. we each have our opinions, please consider that before you act out against others.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
You know... honestly I just think the devs got it in their head that you're not really supposed to SHFFL Captain Falcon's knee across FD. Save it for a good finisher move, when you intercept in the air and have enough time to finish the animation before you land, which is entirely possible with the new floatiness aspect.

That's all I'll say on the subject, though, at least until I actually play it.

mario-man

Smash Lord
All i have to say, is that me and my friends all play melee (alot) without l-canceling, without wavedashing, without hardly any advanced techs(im the only one who even reads about them on the net)... yet we still enjoy the crap out of it! Now, im not saying that you just need to swallow your words and get over everything, because you have an opinion. BUT! take into account that we cant expect brawl to be exactly how we want it. what we CAN do is ENJOY the game that we are presented with. is that so hard? just because they took out some advanced stuff, does that mean you cant enjoy it? if so then why are you getting it? just play melee if you like it so much more. Nobody here is wrong, btw. we each have our opinions, please consider that before you act out against others.
okay, we are NOT saying that we dislike Brawl. I'm not saying that I won't say it after I've played it, but I'm for sure not gonna say it when I haven't played the game even. We are just saying that we are very upset that it was taken out and given the reasons. That is all we have done.

umm, if nobody is wrong then nobody is EVER wrong which means that nobody would ever go to jail or anything so let's not go there. There IS such a thing as right and wrong. Now, I will say this to the people who are glad it is out:

I'm not saying you can't be glad it is gone. I'm just saying that you have no reason to try and PROVE why you are glad it is out, because the ONLY reason you are glad it is out is because you personally didn't like it. There is no reason to take it out, there are no reasons to be even glad it is out. EXCEPT that you, personally, yourself, did not like it. Other than that, there are no logical reasons for it to be out. Just leave it alone now. You can be glad it is out if you want, but that's your preference and not because it was a logical thing to do. THE WHOLE REASON IT (or any other advanced tech) IS OUT IS BECAUSE OF ONLINE LAG TIME!!

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Actually, the reverse of your statement is true, they had no reason to take it out. Give me one GOOD reason. There isn't one. You might say that now it emphasizes the mental side more, but that's not true either. All the advanced techs did was INCREASE the options of the player. They don't decrease the mental side, they just give you more options in certain situations (which were practically always occuring). If you can come up with any GOOD reason besides 1) the mental side is emphasized 2) they had no reason to be in the game or 3) they were stupid, then comee talk to me. Until then, I'm out

~mario-man~
It does emphasize the mental side more. While it may take away options at first glance, it makes you develop strategies for using arials, which may in turn give you options.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The reason I loved l-canceling so much was the concept that if you miss an l-cancel, you're liable to get punished, or you won't be able to get that combo out. It just added a whole new layer to the game that made it that much more fun and competitive.

Top Bottom