• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
nice job! yay bowser jr. results. any videos going to be uploaded? i'll try and get some of my onw jr. vids out there in the near future. @ nido, yea you can trick rosalina to use down b early, but it has such big range on converting your koopa/koopa throw it's best not to use down B very much at all in that matchup if the rosalina is smart

I got to save a couple of matches of losers finals on my set up but I left my ac brick so can't access them. I think I was playing pretty bad at that point... kinda got pigeonholed into heavy mechakoopa play since Austin didn't know the matchup. We just got a recording setup in SA so I will get some videos up soon.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey everyone! I could not find a match-up thread for Bowser Jr so I decided to post here. We are currently starting discussion on the Bowser Jr. match-up on the Marth Match-Up Thread. It would be awesome if you could help us out!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
nice job! yay bowser jr. results. any videos going to be uploaded? i'll try and get some of my onw jr. vids out there in the near future. @ nido, yea you can trick rosalina to use down b early, but it has such big range on converting your koopa/koopa throw it's best not to use down B very much at all in that matchup if the rosalina is smart
Oh no, I didn't mean the mechakoopas themselves would do much. I mean down B on Rosa has a bit of an opening. Use the tumble mechakoopa (from a height) to delay it and if she gravpulls, easy chance to hit her in the kisser! Otherwise, well, mechakoopa running about. Similar with her upB, it's not an attack so you can drop exploding clown cars with good timing!

Also, I've been messing around offline and loving bthrow. At high percentages it won't actually kill but combine with about 4-5 pummels (easy to do even to a lot of cpus at that point) can tack on about 23% and the throw itself is a 12-13% which is quite swell for something that can't be blocked or countered. About one or two of those on a high% will probably make even a fair into a killmove.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
It appears this would be the most appropriate place to post this; The Zeldas have started discussion on the Koopalings MU today, and we'd love some input from Koopaling players!

:4zelda: "Hey Bowser Jr."

:4bowserjr: "Yeah?"

:4zelda: "Click mah face to be teleported directly to the Zelda MU thread."

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
Hi! I'm still relatively new to the forums and i don't really post often, but i thought I'd introduce myself here seeing as how I'm officially picking up Bowser Jr. as my main.

I absolutely love this character, he took a little bit of getting used to, but I love his move set now, from his specials to his aerials, his recovery can be a little upsetting when somebody flinches you to your death. but i find that to not be happening as often anymore. i just find him comfortable to play as now, so much so that i dropped Donkey Kong for him.

My favorite Koopaling is Iggy, (obviously judging by my profile pic) though i have on rare occasions picked Lemmy or even Bowser Jr. himself. and i also picked up Papa Bowser recently because of Bowser Jr., they strangely compliment each others playstyle IMO.

anyways, i look forward to meeting you guys, and hope to maybe play against you guys sometime!

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
welcome! The forums seem only somewhat active from what I've noticed (not that I've posted a ton yet) but everyone here seems friendly! I learned about a game changing combo recently and when I have all the stats I will post the % range on each character that it works on if people are interested in my chart lol. The combo is good enough by itself to boost bowser jr a couple spots on a potential tier list, that's how good i think it is.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
welcome! The forums seem only somewhat active from what I've noticed (not that I've posted a ton yet) but everyone here seems friendly! I learned about a game changing combo recently and when I have all the stats I will post the % range on each character that it works on if people are interested in my chart lol. The combo is good enough by itself to boost bowser jr a couple spots on a potential tier list, that's how good i think it is.
Would it involve offstage fairs? I saw a Morton player use it to basically curbstomp a Lucina yesterday on the replay channel. You can really chase 'em far and get back easily. Either way, looking forward to it!

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
nah, the fairs can chain of course, good guess. Our fairs can be set up like pika's fairs to carry people to the blast zone with the kart giving us a third jump. But actually re-reading threads in here the combo I'm thinking of has already been mentioned but it's so strong it really needs to be perfected by all Jr. mains. It's the side B to up B hammer combo. It's amazing that it is a true combo and I'm doing a lot of lab work to test all the percents it works on all the characters. I will factor in rage as well. I'll post the results if you guys think the data would be useful. The side B to up B hammer combo can be di'd out of I believe if you have good reaction time, but failure to di is a guaranteed hammer at death percent, which is nothing short of amazing.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
nah, the fairs can chain of course, good guess. Our fairs can be set up like pika's fairs to carry people to the blast zone with the kart giving us a third jump. But actually re-reading threads in here the combo I'm thinking of has already been mentioned but it's so strong it really needs to be perfected by all Jr. mains. It's the side B to up B hammer combo. It's amazing that it is a true combo and I'm doing a lot of lab work to test all the percents it works on all the characters. I will factor in rage as well. I'll post the results if you guys think the data would be useful. The side B to up B hammer combo can be di'd out of I believe if you have good reaction time, but failure to di is a guaranteed hammer at death percent, which is nothing short of amazing.
Oh, I wanna see that in action. Just a thought though, if you can read a DI as long as it's left or right you can get around that maybe!

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yeah this has been known for a while but it's really useful and is one of the best ways to KO the opponent imo. Every Bowser Jr player should learn to use it!

Side B > Up B Hammer works at around 90 - 120% damage on most characters but after that the opponent is sent too high up to reach with the Hammer hit. If you do a second jump in between the side B and Up B Hammer however, you can increase the percentage range of which it works by around 15% damage.

Would be cool to see a chart though!

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Other thing with the hammer, since it doesn't grab the ledge it IS risky to use on the way down (okay, more like definite SD) but on the way up swinging it might catch someone off guard kinda like link's clawshot. Then just land normally. If you don't abuse it that might be a decent option to put them back on the defense. :D

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I've been trying but on single player it's just impossible. Even though I followed their DI it often missed for no reason at all, like half the attacks on a com in the middle of hitstun. Hell it's hard to approach since all their moves are given infinite priority and increased range.

Of all the things to change in an update they didn't fix the bloody cpus this isn't even level 9!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Sorry double post but I have a feeling there's people reading these threads. I'm just looking on the replay channel and I keep seeing them pull off new things whenever they come up on these boards, case in point: at least twice I've seen players use or try to use the sideB into upBhammer, first one won a match even!

steelguttey

mei is bei
its my trademarked name you should all be using for the aerial you get after using up b (eject)

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I wonder if there's a way to share the saved replays. Been farting about a bit and have a visual demonstration of few of things like fair chasing.

Granted it's against cpus and I'm just naff but I'm not really ready for anything serious... It's just more a "how to do X" thing.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I wonder if there's a way to share the saved replays. Been farting about a bit and have a visual demonstration of few of things like fair chasing.

Granted it's against cpus and I'm just naff but I'm not really ready for anything serious... It's just more a "how to do X" thing.
Can't share replays yet :(

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
I'd really like to see some of your videos posted. Any idea when that may be done?

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Hey Tony, I don't have a capture device but as soon as I can get a friend to record some games or a tournament match or something I will post right here. Well, here or the video thread.

Edit: actually there is one vid out there that a sheik player uploaded but my gameplay has changed a TON since then. For example I used to do side b> nair at early percents. Now I pretty much exclusively do side B>Dair>dash atatck for a 25-30% dmg combo. I play a lot on Anther's ladder and am the highest ranked Bowser Jr. main there but online rankings don't matter at all, I challenge as many people as I can to get that matchup experience so that hopefully I can do okay IRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugXmvsMzo8

Last edited:

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
Hey Tony, I don't have a capture device but as soon as I can get a friend to record some games or a tournament match or something I will post right here. Well, here or the video thread.

Edit: actually there is one vid out there that a sheik player uploaded but my gameplay has changed a TON since then. For example I used to do side b> nair at early percents. Now I pretty much exclusively do side B>Dair>dash atatck for a 25-30% dmg combo. I play a lot on Anther's ladder and am the highest ranked Bowser Jr. main there but online rankings don't matter at all, I challenge as many people as I can to get that matchup experience so that hopefully I can do okay IRL.

Yeah, I looked that video up a while ago when I saw you quickly rise on anther's but figured your style changed because you'd be more optimized at that high rank. Thanks for the reply! I'll be on the lookout when you get some videos up.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078

You should do Side B>Dair> SH Fair/Bair as it deals more damage, is easier to hit with and you can followup with other things afterwards, just a tip :) Or maybe there is a point in doing dashattack that i don't know?

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Thanks for the tip, against lighter characters I tend to go for the fair, I dunno just in my experience dash attack is more reliable for making sure that third part of that three part combo connects. also if all the hits on a dash attack connect it's 1% more :p. For the fair that is...I've never tried to go for the bair after the dair...I'll try that out!

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Hey everyone, just to let you know I'll finally have some videos up soon! I participated in an Anther's ladder online invitational tourney today and got first! it was a lot of fun and you can get to see some of my strategies and how I play. Any and all advice welcome. They are already on twitch but I'll wait until they are put on youtube to link you all. Here's the tournament result link.

http://challonge.com/Smash4WLG2

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, just to let you know I'll finally have some videos up soon! I participated in an Anther's ladder online invitational tourney today and got first! it was a lot of fun and you can get to see some of my strategies and how I play. Any and all advice welcome. They are already on twitch but I'll wait until they are put on youtube to link you all. Here's the tournament result link.

http://challonge.com/Smash4WLG2
Great sets! Very smart and patient play. Also, saw some good things that I can put to practice, such as out of shield options and baiting pivot grabs. Overall great videos!

Any tips on approach options for projectile heavy characters, such as samus? I'd like to play you on anthers sometime.

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
Oh wow you found the sets on twitch already? nice! haha. If the guy doesn't end up uploading them I'll just post the twitch link with timestamps or what not. and thanks! Jr. feels like u always gotta go aggression but if it's carefully spaced aggression I think it can work out. and ya Jr's pivot grab is so awesome it makes up for his sub par normal grab, it's fast and pretty dang long range. against projectile heavy characters that beat out your camp game it's tricky but I find best thing for me is to not rely too heavily on mechakoopa to get in. Just stay calm and play normally weaving in between the projectiles, Jr. has nice movement to be able to do that and once in range can use his disjointed ariels or normals. once you get a hit in thats your chance to lay down the pressure by either laying down a mecha or trying to follow up your hit. Kart should mainly be used as a fakeout (starting then jump to cancel) so they won't know when you actually choose to go in with it. Unless you see a nice opening of course then go in with it. the jump cancled side B you guys discovered on here has been helping me a lot, it's significantly faster than normal side B it feels like.

and ya feel free to add me, my nintendo ID is V1cegrip or find me on anthers.

Last edited:

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow you found the sets on twitch already? nice! haha. If the guy doesn't end up uploading them I'll just post the twitch link with timestamps or what not. and thanks! Jr. feels like u always gotta go aggression but if it's carefully spaced aggression I think it can work out. and ya Jr's pivot grab is so awesome it makes up for his sub par normal grab, it's fast and pretty dang long range. against projectile heavy characters that beat out your camp game it's tricky but I find best thing for me is to not rely too heavily on mechakoopa to get in. Just stay calm and play normally weaving in between the projectiles, Jr. has nice movement to be able to do that and once in range can use his disjointed ariels or normals. once you get a hit in thats your chance to lay down the pressure by either laying down a mecha or trying to follow up your hit. Kart should mainly be used as a fakeout (starting then jump to cancel) so they won't know when you actually choose to go in with it. Unless you see a nice opening of course then go in with it. the jump cancled side B you guys discovered on here has been helping me a lot, it's significantly faster than normal side B it feels like.

and ya feel free to add me, my nintendo ID is V1cegrip or find me on anthers.
This is the first I hear about the JC side B, I'll have to try it! What's your strategy for hitting the Kart kill? I saw you only spinning out when in the air. Is that so that you spin out of reach if you miss?

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
the JC side B you jump and immediately side b, you shouldn't even be seeing you jump but you should notice a slightly faster startup on the kart, this can be done in the air coming to the ground as well if you have the correct height when doing side B just before landing. This is the latest tech I have yet to master but it's exciting because it means our kart has 3 speeds- JC fast, fast, and slow. I mainly do spinout in the air good observation. Spinout has a nice, fast deceptive and high priority hitbox. I sometimes use it to beat stuff out on the ground or to be surprising, but on the ground it is much more risky cause if you miss you tend to get punished. if you dont spinout and you dont connect with kart you are less likely to get punished. Also in the air it is much less predictable, for example when your opponent has you in the air they usually expect you to jump out of kart or to try and ariel them, spinout has an awesome and fast horizontal hitbox. plus the fade back with the kart in the air can be used to dodge attacks like you do on the ground and them hit them with spinout.

With spinout I usually only go for the hit on the ground when A: I'm trying to beat out a hitbox or surprise someone with the kart spacing (spinout will connect a little sooner than just karting into them) or they left themselves wide open on the ledge and a spinout may kill (not sure on percents, but it can kill with bad di at like 100 on the ledge). Other than that you should either be going for Side B to uair or Side B to Up B if they are in the % range because those are better damaging and killing (and safer) options than grounded spinout. Spinout in the air is amazing though, highly underrated imo.

also how do you quote text in smashboards? wanted to quote you but not sure how.

Last edited:

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
the JC side B you jump and immediately side b, you shouldn't even be seeing you jump but you should notice a slightly faster startup on the kart, this can be done in the air coming to the ground as well if you have the correct height when doing side B just before landing. This is the latest tech I have yet to master but it's exciting because it means our kart has 3 speeds- JC fast, fast, and slow. I mainly do spinout in the air good observation. Spinout has a nice, fast deceptive and high priority hitbox. I sometimes use it to beat stuff out on the ground or to be surprising, but on the ground it is much more risky cause if you miss you tend to get punished. if you dont spinout and you dont connect with kart you are less likely to get punished. Also in the air it is much less predictable, for example when your opponent has you in the air they usually expect you to jump out of kart or to try and ariel them, spinout has an awesome and fast horizontal hitbox. plus the fade back with the kart in the air can be used to dodge attacks like you do on the ground and them hit them with spinout.

With spinout I usually only go for the hit on the ground when A: I'm trying to beat out a hitbox or surprise someone with the kart spacing (spinout will connect a little sooner than just karting into them) or they left themselves wide open on the ledge and a spinout may kill (not sure on percents, but it can kill with bad di at like 100 on the ledge). Other than that you should either be going for Side B to uair or Side B to Up B if they are in the % range because those are better damaging and killing (and safer) options than grounded spinout. Spinout in the air is amazing though, highly underrated imo.

also how do you quote text in smashboards? wanted to quote you but not sure how.
Just click the reply button on the post itself. It should be on the bottom right. Thanks for the reply, I also agree about the spinout's unpredictability and it's truly satisfying when the hit kills!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Could I get a link to the twitch videos? Can't find them and I think this is something I really oughta see (mostly so I can follow what you guys are saying, pretty sure it's something worth taking on board)

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
Could I get a link to the twitch videos? Can't find them and I think this is something I really oughta see (mostly so I can follow what you guys are saying, pretty sure it's something worth taking on board)
Sorry! I realized I forgot to put up the link. http://www.twitch.tv/waffru/b/624397151 I don't have timestamps, but I think Vice played around 4 sets in that stream

fabz97

Smash Cadet
Yoo, my names fabian but everyone calls me fabz, one of my mains is bowser jr (YA BOY ROY) and i wanted to get an in depth base of knowledge of the character.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
just got back from Närcon Winter! was in a huge Smash4 tourny in it and carried solo Jr all the way to Quarter Finals loser bracket.
I losed thanks to luck to the opponent and I losed against the "winner/top player" in the winner brachet.
the winner said that our match were the hardest he ever played and he is originally that guy that wins with least 2 stocks!

many there said I was great with Jr and was really scared to face me with him owo even the staff said I was the third best player on that tourny xD

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
just got back from Närcon Winter! was in a huge Smash4 tourny in it and carried solo Jr all the way to Quarter Finals loser bracket.
I losed thanks to luck to the opponent and I losed against the "winner/top player" in the winner brachet.
the winner said that our match were the hardest he ever played and he is originally that guy that wins with least 2 stocks!

many there said I was great with Jr and was really scared to face me with him owo even the staff said I was the third best player on that tourny xD
There was a Smash 4 tournament at Närcon Vinter? Bah if i had known i would have been there :( There are so few Smash 4 tournaments in Sweden.

Anyway Nice work making it to loser bracket quarter finals and reppin Bowser Junior!

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
There was a Smash 4 tournament at Närcon Vinter? Bah if i had known i would have been there :( There are so few Smash 4 tournaments in Sweden.

Anyway Nice work making it to loser bracket quarter finals and reppin Bowser Junior!
sad you missed it D: but I know that Närcon Summer will have it again since it was their biggest tourny! even bigger than melee!
I know I will join it once again at Närcon Summer!
trust me, this time I will meet that "winner" again and this time in the finals with Jr >:3 because our matches were he most intense match at the tourny!

(me and my girlfriend did won Brawl Team tourny with King Dedede and Ness but thats diffirent story and offtopic)

Last edited:
Top Bottom