• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The Robin thread is active all day even though the game isn't out yet. Then again, I'd rather not talk over talk about shipping and similar stuff. lol
That's basically just a Fire Emblem discussion thread, and with the number of Awakening fanboys/girls on these forums, it's no surprise that the thread progresses quickly.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Definitely counting on you guys to fill me in on all things Bowser Jr. when the 3DS version releases (I can only get the Wii U version). Looking forward to it all and this thread becoming more active. :bee:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I was a (pretty good) jiggs main in brawl. I'm going to main the Bowsers in smash4 (with Jr./Wendy being my best). I'll try to attend as many tourneys in Europe since I'm here to study.

So nice to meet you all :D

Sacked

Smash Rookie
Been using Bowser Jr all day in For Glory mode also. I'll possibly post some videos later with some cool stuff I've learned

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I think Bowser Jr is pretty bad tbh, mid tier at best. he gets juggled too hard, has no options coming down, cant get off the ledge, and is both light and gets extra knockback and damage.
He has cool things and is really fun, so I'm going to probably main him, but I think he is bad.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Im a fallen Ice Climber vet from melee/brawl. He was one of the characters that I was hoping to be in, well his sunshine incarnation anyways. Picked him up and dang, the mobility and mindgames this guy has is stupid.

His Forwards B being cancelable into jump makes it so satisfying to mindgame/combo with it.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Mained Sonic in Brawl, and I'm still using him as a crutch for the time being, but Bowser Jr. is probably my favorite newcomer. Love his twin hitboxes and extra aerials, not to mention his mindgames all around.

T-block

B2B TST
I think Bowser Jr is pretty bad tbh, mid tier at best. he gets juggled too hard, has no options coming down, cant get off the ledge, and is both light and gets extra knockback and damage.
He has cool things and is really fun, so I'm going to probably main him, but I think he is bad.
I agree with pretty much everything except getting juggled hard. Side-b to escape the juggle is pretty effective.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I agree with pretty much everything except getting juggled hard. Side-b to escape the juggle is pretty effective.
The problem with side-b is that it just repositions you, and to get out of it you have to either do the air spin which is laggy, or jump which puts your higher and gives them more time to get under you again.
I dont think its a problem right now in week 1 but people will start to abuse it pretty hard, expecially the faster characters or those with huge hitboxes.

I'm not going to throw out "bad MUs" yet because its like day 2, but I think theres ALOT of characters that will give him trouble.

MarcheR

Smash Rookie
NNID
mars
3DS FC
1177-7044-9396
Jumping doesn't give them 'more time to get under you again' unless they're ZSS with crazy jump stuff or get a perfect read, in which case any amount of escape techs won't save you. From what I've seen Bjr has excellent recovery options and his projectiles give a lot of traps into nair/dair. Lots of people are overusing the fair/bair when nair would be better, though, from what I see online.

As far as MUs go I like jr vs samus, all her projectiles are blocked by mecha koopas. Most situations are better for him, except for her uair beating his dair (but that's expected, it doesn't beat out much for range).

I'd argue that jr has at least mediocre ledge and returning options. His dair has a really wide hitbox, you can go down from over the top of an opponent and land beside slamming drill into the stage and it'll hit them for a safe amount of knockback. Between that, free third jump off the kart and fast aerial mechakoopas he's got enough options to keep most people guessing. He's no shiek but not 'bad'.

T-block

B2B TST
The problem with side-b is that it just repositions you, and to get out of it you have to either do the air spin which is laggy, or jump which puts your higher and gives them more time to get under you again.
I dont think its a problem right now in week 1 but people will start to abuse it pretty hard, expecially the faster characters or those with huge hitboxes.

I'm not going to throw out "bad MUs" yet because its like day 2, but I think theres ALOT of characters that will give him trouble.
His horizontal speed is fast enough that most characters won't be able to catch up. Of course some characters will have the movement to be able to catch him, but still... there are a lot of characters who will have a harder time with juggles than Bowser Jr. will.

Who cares if it's day 2? I'm already convinced Bowser Jr. vs. Mario is unwinnable looool

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I just did a whole bunch of For Glory matches as Lemmy and won every single one. A big part of his game is figuring out which smash attack you want to use in a given situation, I think. A pretty good chain I've figured out is usmash>uspec!nair.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I've been getting some nice Up B hammer kills today. If you haven't been using it much, DO IT. It looks and feels so great when you pull it off.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Best use for the hammer aerials is when the opponent is coming down from an attempted vertical KO. I also see it getting a LOT more use in 2v2.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Having tried all the newcomers now I was most looking forward to, I've got to say Jr.(or Ludwig in my case) is certainly a strong candidate for a second main. Haven't quite got him down yet, but he's so much fun I'm frankly blown away.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Hello everyone! First time poster, long time lurker! I've been peeping on here since Brawl, so I thought it was time to introduce myself!

I am enjoying Bowser Jr. a lot so far. I do not want to preemptively declare him my main, but he's definitely a favourite so far! Though I've been reading about Smash jargon for awhile now, I hope to finally learn a lot of the techniques that are talked about such as short hopping and certain cancels.

This is worth re-posting from some other threads too-- After you connect with the Side-B, without using the spin out, you can jump cancel it (Easy, even for me!) into a lot of aerial moves. At around 50-80%, and probably even a little higher, you can also chain it directly into your Up-B with no chance to shield or roll. Very strong finisher, for those looking for kill moves!

steelguttey

mei is bei
bowser jr isnt bad at all probably high mid. everyone in this game has a bad time on the way down except like greninja and anyone else with a divekick. hit someone with an up-b on the way down ande you have a free landing

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
bowser jr isnt bad at all probably high mid. everyone in this game has a bad time on the way down except like greninja and anyone else with a divekick. hit someone with an up-b on the way down ande you have a free landing
I feel the same. I get just pummeled in the air and it can be hard to land. Many say that the clown car can be used to escape a juggle but the problem I'm having is the delay afterwards. You can land, but on the spin-out or jump cancel you're just begging to bite a dash attack and go right back into the air. I find a Mecha Koopa can sometimes throw a would-be juggler off his game, though.

Corbyn Doty

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5429-9252-3234
I just did a whole bunch of For Glory matches as Lemmy and won every single one. A big part of his game is figuring out which smash attack you want to use in a given situation, I think. A pretty good chain I've figured out is usmash>uspec!nair.
whats uspec?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well and truly impressed with Junior and the Koopalings. Their fighting style reminds me of Peacock in Skullgirls: weird mechanical keepaway fighter that flings projectiles and smacks down hard when at a distance. Definitely going to keep playing as Ludwig and see where he goes!

MarcheR

Smash Rookie
NNID
mars
3DS FC
1177-7044-9396
How to deal with Rosalina? Luma beats projectiles, her normals and smashes are bigger/faster than yours. I lost ten matches in a row against a good one.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
I feel the same. I get just pummeled in the air and it can be hard to land. Many say that the clown car can be used to escape a juggle but the problem I'm having is the delay afterwards. You can land, but on the spin-out or jump cancel you're just begging to bite a dash attack and go right back into the air. I find a Mecha Koopa can sometimes throw a would-be juggler off his game, though.
Depending on the character it may make a safe(er) landing. He has a great movement game which you can mix up. He may not have answers against the ground but he does have the ability to run around.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
So here's a question.

Some say the Mecha Koopas are weak and should be used sparingly as a mix-up. Others think of them like Diddy's banana peels-- you should always be trapping the battlefield with them.

Which approach has been more succesful for you? Or do you opt for a more middling strategy with them?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I like having the mecha-koopas on the field always when possible.

More often than not, the opponent fail to avoid the mecha-koopa, the cannonball AND my Jr coming straight to their face to attack them.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So here's a question.

Some say the Mecha Koopas are weak and should be used sparingly as a mix-up. Others think of them like Diddy's banana peels-- you should always be trapping the battlefield with them.

Which approach has been more succesful for you? Or do you opt for a more middling strategy with them?
Drop 'em every now and again to pressure the opponent. They tend to get savvy and pick them up if I'm not careful with it, so I try to exercise caution, make sure they're only used to be unpredictable and clever.

Last edited:

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
Drop 'em every now and again to pressure the opponent. They tend to get savvy and pick them up if I'm not careful with it, so I try to exercise caution, make sure they're only used to be unpredictable and clever.
This has worked for me as well.
You know what else has worked for me? SideB and aerials. That ****'s real.

steelguttey

mei is bei
bowser jr seems to do reaaaallllyyy well against heavies without projectiles but somebody who has alot of shield pressure and/or projectiles ****s him up kind of like ivysaur in pm

Prawn

Smash Master
Hi everyone. Played the game for the first time just a bit ago. Leaning towards looking into bowser jr for competitive play.

Anybody that knows me that might happen to play him too hmu. Know nothing about early tier impressions. Is he good?

Edit:

Are there differences in skins?

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Hi everyone. Played the game for the first time just a bit ago. Leaning towards looking into bowser jr for competitive play.

Anybody that knows me that might happen to play him too hmu. Know nothing about early tier impressions. Is he good?

Edit:

Word on the street is that Lemmy is S-tier material, but Roy is doomed to the catacombs of neverplayed.

Just kidding, there is no difference.

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244

Edit:

Seems like he's getting some competitive hype, and rightly so. I'd read around the topics here for more specifics, but it basically boils down to the fact that almost every move of his has some use, he's heavy, does well mid-range, has a mean aerial and decent ground game, and is unpredictable. Or, really, should be.

Basically, have fun with the character, psyche your opponents out, get a few licks in, and you should do pretty well.

The dtilt is so fun. The usefulness of the attack is only half the fun. Being licked to your doom must be humiliating.

steelguttey

mei is bei
but roy is our boy

anyway, more notes:

- empty jumping side-b when someone tries to use a counter or just punish it sets up for some really silly stuff
- his aerials dont start combos but they do lead into situations where he gets an advantage, like bair or fair space enough that you can send out a down b or a dash grab
- his throws are ass tier, idk if any of them can kill but its a dissapointment cause his grab is really really good. dthrow doesnt lead into anything cause it goes in a really awkward angle
- dtilt, ftilt, and jab are really good spacing tools (dtilt has an unnecessary amount of range and jab makes space)
- he cant really off stage edgeguard
- he has awful kill options cause fsmash is really hard to land and up-b is wonky as heck
- when you do land an up-b tho UMPH that **** combos perfectly into ejair (officially naming that post-eject air attack that) which is one of his earliest kill moves
- dsmash seems pretty useless. **** range, bad damage and really laggy
- usmash is hard to hit but its probably easier if there is platforms (been mostly playing on for glory)
- the only useful custom moves is the up-b meteor smash. gives him kill options against people with obvious recovery (robin, little mac, c. falc etc)
- neutral b is actually not as bad i thought but mostly i think its hilarious when you sn1pe people with it. but otherwise its a good kill move
- nair is good at early percents, dair is good off of side-b, uair cant really kill and you dont have much options when the enemy is above you but if its the only thing that youcan hit then hit it
- fair and bair are very very good use those for creating space
- crouch alot in neutral so you dont take hella %

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Seems like he's getting some competitive hype, and rightly so. I'd read around the topics here for more specifics, but it basically boils down to the fact that almost every move of his has some use, he's heavy, does well mid-range, has a mean aerial and decent ground game, and is unpredictable. Or, really, should be.

Basically, have fun with the character, psyche your opponents out, get a few licks in, and you should do pretty well.

The dtilt is so fun. The usefulness of the attack is only half the fun. Being licked to your doom must be humiliating.
This is extremely true. The glow in Bowser Jr. is that you can be pressing just about any of his buttons and performing relatively well. I like it for that reason. :]

But competitively, he's also quite heavy and enjoys a lot of durability AND mind games. Hard to beat that!

His front throw is actually not so shabby. At the higher percentages, the launch is legit. If Bowser Jr's aerials were just a mite better for off-stage edgeguaridng, I'm sure he'd be so much stronger...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
GIANT MECHA KOOPALING JUST EXPLODED TWICE AND DID LIKE 40% DAMAGE TO ME IN BOWSER JR DITTOS

>:[

If you throw it and it hits like, a frame or two before it explodes, it explodes twice

idk if this is the same with all custom variants

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know the conditions under which the toys walk off the edge? Seems really inconsistent.

Also, does anyone know when and what projectiles and attacks his side b eats?

Top Bottom