• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
On a completely unrelated note: Pink Gold Peach/Baby Rosalina > Bowser Jr./Diddy Kong...why...?
Pink Gold Peach is there to make Peach available in all different weight classes (like Mario), and I'm assuming Baby Rosalina is just there to pad out the roster for a lightweight. (Even though Dry Bones would have been better in every way...) It's in excusable though, and honestly if it weren't for the Koopalings I'd be pissed but eh they saved the roster for me.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Pink Gold Peach is there to make Peach available in all different weight classes (like Mario), and I'm assuming Baby Rosalina is just there to pad out the roster for a lightweight. (Even though Dry Bones would have been better in every way...) It's in excusable though, and honestly if it weren't for the Koopalings I'd be pissed but eh they saved the roster for me.
I just don't get why they felt the need to pad out the lightweights, since if remove Baby Rosalina, there's still more lights than any other class.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I'm honestly of the belief that Bowser Jr. will -at least- make an assist trophy appearance. He's too important in his series not to and he deserves the playable spot - I'm just not sure if it's gonna happen.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
As much as I like rosalina, I believe he should have been added before her, he has appeared in more games and been around much longer. She has only had a story role in the galaxy games right? I don't mind her it's just I feel bowser jr should get in too but I find unlikely with rosalina in.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
As much as I like rosalina, I believe he should have been added before her, he has appeared in more games and been around much longer. She has only had a story role in the galaxy games right? I don't mind her it's just I feel bowser jr should get in too but I find unlikely with rosalina in.
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. Rosalina didn't even do anything in Galaxy 2. She appears at the end saying "Thanks for finding my Luma!" Oh, and if you suck and die in one stage like 15 times or something, she appears and helps you out. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Rosalina, one of my top 5 favorite characters, but I really, really want Bowser Jr. more.

But anyways, I could see why he added/revealed her before him: she has arguably the most unique playstyle in Smash Bros. history. No other character plays quite like she does from the looks of it, with being 2 characters, 1 of them being a puppet master, and controlling them both in 2 different places. The only character that comes close is Ice Climbers, and even then, you don't see Popo saying, "Go Nana, do my bidding!" And Nana is like a level 3 computer if desynced. So she adds more uniqueness to the roster I guess, and nobody expected her as much as Bowser Jr., so revealing her was more of a surprise than revealing a character everyone expected.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. Rosalina didn't even do anything in Galaxy 2. She appears at the end saying "Thanks for finding my Luma!" Oh, and if you suck and die in one stage like 15 times or something, she appears and helps you out. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Rosalina, one of my top 5 favorite characters, but I really, really want Bowser Jr. more.

But anyways, I could see why he added/revealed her before him: she has arguably the most unique playstyle in Smash Bros. history. No other character plays quite like she does from the looks of it, with being 2 characters, 1 of them being a puppet master, and controlling them both in 2 different places. The only character that comes close is Ice Climbers, and even then, you don't see Popo saying, "Go Nana, do my bidding!" And Nana is like a level 3 computer if desynced. So she adds more uniqueness to the roster I guess, and nobody expected her as much as Bowser Jr., so revealing her was more of a surprise than revealing a character everyone expected.
Yea, I think showing off more of the "shock" characters is more of a way to draw in attention of the game. A lot of the newcomers were mostly very wanted characters or really unexpected ones.

I do still think if Bowser Jr. was to make it he would be shown off after the game's release as a secret character.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I don't understood why people include Paper Mario in the Mario reps debate. If Paper Mario were to get in the game, he would represent his own Paper Maio series, not the Super Mario series. Paper Mario never had to worry about the other Mario reps.

Bowser Jr. is sadly a different case. If you couldn't tell by my avatar, I LOVE and support Junior. Ever since Brawl, I've badly wanted him in Smash. For the new Smash games, I felt like Bowser Jr. had a great chance of being playable: A villain character, unique moveset potential, important to Mario series. It seemed realistic..

Then came Rosalina. Don't get me wrong, Rosalina is an amazing character, and her moveset is very interesting. But when I saw "ROSALINA AND LUMA LAUNCH INTO BATTLE!", I became sad almost immediately. I knew Bowser Jr's chances had taken a big hit. I thought it was over for him, and I even stopped following Smash 4 for a minute.

But now, I'm feeling more hopeful, and I'm still supporting Jr, for reasons that have already been stated: Zelda and Pokemon had more reps than Mario in Brawl, so Smash 4 having six Mario reps is acceptable. Bowser Jr. could easily be revealed at E3, and he could come with Bowser's Castle, a stage that should've made an appearance in Smash a long time ago. He could utilize his paintbrush, gadgets and gizmos from the New Super Mario Bros. Series, various minions from his dad's army, and of course, his shell.

Here's one thing though that makes me think Sakurai has at least considered Junior before: the POTD where Waluigi was confirmed as an Assist Trophy. Sakurai stated, "Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!!... Which means he's not a playable character." I feel like this means Sakurai was aware of Waluigi's fanbase, since he made a point to say he was not playable. If Sakurai was aware of Waluigi, a character associated with the Mario Universe, he should definitely be aware of Bowser Jr. I would be surprised if Junior was only a trophy in this game, or non-existent entirely. I realize I'm grasping for straws, but I'm just trying to find some hope.

In conclusion, I love Bowser Jr, and I'm still going to support him until the very end. I know people find him annoying and unimportant to the Mario series, but the Koopa Prince will always have a place in my heart when it comes to Smash. I want to thank everyone else who supports Bowser Jr. I'm still gonna root for Junior, and I'll grasp for straws whenever necessary.

Long Live The Prince!

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I don't understood why people include Paper Mario in the Mario reps debate. If Paper Mario were to get in the game, he would represent his own Paper Maio series, not the Super Mario series. Paper Mario never had to worry about the other Mario reps.
That's actually a pretty good point. I never thought of that personally. :p That makes complete sense though, as Paper Mario definitely stands out in his own series and has nothing to do the with "Super Mario" series, so he would be his own thing, I would think. Then again, I'm not Sakurai, so I don't know how he would approach it.

Here's one thing though that makes me think Sakurai has at least considered Junior before: the POTD where Waluigi was confirmed as an Assist Trophy. Sakurai stated, "Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!!... Which means he's not a playable character." I feel like this means Sakurai was aware of Waluigi's fanbase, since he made a point to say he was not playable. If Sakurai was aware of Waluigi, a character associated with the Mario Universe, he should definitely be aware of Bowser Jr. I would be surprised if Junior was only a trophy in this game, or non-existent entirely. I realize I'm grasping for straws, but I'm just trying to find some hope.
That makes sense too. It kinda seemed like a weird decomfirmation spree with Waluigi getting revealed as an Assist Trophy and Toad still being Peach's special attack. And it's true that he's probably aware of the Mario series most wanted newcomers more than any other newcomers (except Ridley and King. K Rool probably) just because the series is so big and popular. I'm pretty sure Bowser Jr. is more popular than Waluigi, so I'm sure Sakurai knows fans want him in. And after making movesets for Rosalina and Captain Falcon, I'm sure he can come up with something cool for Bowser Jr., seeing as how theirs was completely made up, but pretty interesting.

Just one thing bothers me though, and that's Brawl. Super Mario Sunshine was so heavily represented in Brawl, with Delfino Plaza being a stage, and Mario's Down Special being changed to FLUDD. Seeing as how Sunshine was Jr.'s debut and arguably most important role, he was nowhere to be seen. He was relegated to just being a trophy and sticker. So I'm definitely hoping he makes an appearance this time around with the Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. games under his belt. And I'm confident in him showing up. :) I think he would be a secret character after the game releases though, because I don't think he would create the most hype at E3, definitely not as much as say, Ridley or King. K. Rool.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Bowser Jr. would build my hype levels to the maximum. I literally wouldn't know what to do with myself. Even though Jr. wouldn't create the most hype at E3, I can still picture it happening. That was actually a really good point you made, with so much Sunshine representation but Bowser Jr. simply missing.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think he would be a secret character after the game releases though, because I don't think he would create the most hype at E3, definitely not as much as say, Ridley or King. K. Rool.
He would.

People actually know Bowser Jr. K.Rool is a big fat "who?". Ridley will be popular though because the E3 audience love Metroid.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Going to be honest here, even if it doesn't really matter to his chance imo, you're right which you normally shouldn't.

I started to beleive the opposite simply because the fact that he's mario is a fact and it's undeniable. But I realize that it would be abnormal. This is too long to list but the op in my thread explains it enough: his potential is the most diverse I've ever saw for any character including those who should come before him. His potential is so unique that he doesn't even feel like mario which he should've if he was just another mario. I came to the conclusion that he's not THE mario like toon link was THE link (how they feel in series at least).

Which leads me to the sad thing that rosalina confimation actually did for jr. It's really unfortunate but jr is the most affected by it. Not only it removed another place for other mario rep but also because at this point, it will be surprising that both her and jr make it in considering that jr would have been there before her (the good thing is that she's very unique so I don't consider her as not worthed since jr would be unique too).

Lots of people will call me crazy or biased but I think it's why jr's chance are lower than paper mario which is a very sad thing to say in this thread but I see no mistake. Yes we got a unique mario rep but we might have just lost another one. A win-win situation now will be assist trophy now because he would at least feel unique for an assist. He's far from deconfirm but if I were you, I would for him to least be in the game other than a trophy because there's a good chance of it happening.

Reminder: I didn't post this to act like a jerk on his thread I just want to tell what I think is happening (heck I wouldn't even mind him over paper mario as long as his series is better rep).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I see a lot of talk about how unique Paper Mario would be.

All I can think of for him is using items that are mostly already items in smash.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

All I can think of for him is using items that are mostly already items in smash.
Will not argue here (because I think it would be selfish) but I have to remind you that when I say infinite potential, I mean really big in every department which includes other than the character itself. Actually, if you want, you should come in my thread to talk more about this because I feel incormfortable to do so here especially after the rosalina thing.

As a curiosity, did you played a paper mario game? I'm wondering because I can tell this for almost a fact that it's more than just items from ssb which is what you claim.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I think his chances are 50 50, he is easily the next in line for mario, and you have to think that there will be some cuts. Snake and maybe the whole earthbound series, jiggly puff and wolf who I hope may not be cut. Cuts improve his chances as metroid and zelda are bound to have at least one new character.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, definitely if Zelda gets another new character, then I'd say Mario should get Bowser Jr., because then they'd have 6, assuming Ganondorf returns, which I think is a safe bet. And if Pokemon gets Mewtwo AND Jigglypuff, then that's another series with 6. I wonder how many cuts will happen though, I was honestly kinda surprised Ike came back, but also kinda not surprised because he wasn't really a clone of Marth like Roy was. So Ike gets me thinking how many cuts will actually happen. But hey, the more cuts, the more chance for newcomers.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Is it desperate to say that the new Pic of the Day, showing a New Super Mario Bros. U stage and Kamek being a hazard, increases Bowser Jr.'s chances by a small amount like how the showing of the Galaxy stage and Rosalina being playable in Super Mario 3D World increased her chances of showing up? Or is it just pure straw grasping?

D

Deleted member

Is it desperate to say that the new Pic of the Day, showing a New Super Mario Bros. U stage and Kamek being a hazard, increases Bowser Jr.'s chances by a small amount like how the showing of the Galaxy stage and Rosalina being playable in Super Mario 3D World increased her chances of showing up? Or is it just pure straw grasping?
Ehh, I find it to be grasping for straws. Though, it's still nice to see that be a stage. I would probably give him a minor increase in chance, but it's nothing too significant.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I believe this does increase his chances. Plus, Sakurai reveals this stage the week before E3? Maybe Bowser Jr. could get revealed next week.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I really hope you're right. I support both Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. as I think they could bring the most to the table.

Cool, I didn't know Koops, Flurrie, Parakarry, Lady Bow, or any of the Pixls were items(those were just some examples). Besides, that would be a terrible excuse to exclude characters. Dedede has a hammer, Link has bombs, Diddy Kong has bananas. All those characters I listed are unique and still bring something to the table.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I believe it does raise his chances a small amount, but emphasis is on the small. This is the sort of thing that you would get out of the way for his announcement, but it's also just a stage you might want to show off.

That said I still think Jr's extremely likely, so maybe for people who doubt him it highlights the possibility more.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I still think he has a good chance too. I was just thinking that maybe this new stage could be alluding to something like others have before:

Mario Galaxy Stage -> Rosalina revealed as a newcomer later
Boxing Ring Stage -> Little Mac revealed as a newcomer later (although more predictable than Rosalina)
Pyrosphere Stage -> Several teases of Ridley that are ambiguous
New Super Mario Bros. U Stage -> Bowser Jr. as a newcomer maybe? (no Nabbit, please)

He could just be showing off the stage just to show it off, because it is a cool stage, and he hasn't really shown off any Wii U stages in a while. Or it could just be wishful thinking on my part. But it still increases his chances, I think, no matter how small the increase is. And it's going to be at E3 as well.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The thing is, he played a large role in the Galaxy games as well so he really doesn't need this stage.

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
I am completely biased, Bowser Jr. is my most wanted character for Sm4sh. I really think it comes down to if the Mario universe will get another rep this game. His best competitors IMO are Waluigi (confirmed assist trophy) and Toad.. Which I guess Toad could be the blue/yellow one from NSMB but I'm thinking Jr. is next in line. He would easily be a unique character with his paintbrush, we'd be getting another villain which is a plus and assuming Bowser turns into Giga Bowser again; Jr's Final Smash could be the Clown Car. If he isn't playable then I expect him to be Assist Trophy at the very least.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
He really looks like a creative Character, so I'd really like him being in.
I wouldn't be too disappointed if he's not, but I am supporting him!

Mr. KoopaTurtle, your post was really great btw.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
He really looks like a creative Character, so I'd really like him being in.
I wouldn't be too disappointed if he's not, but I am supporting him!

Mr. KoopaTurtle, your post was really great btw.
Thank you. I figured this was the best place to share my opinion on Bowser Jr.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
He really should be in the game. The magic paintbrush, the little clown car... so much potential. Rosalina, Daisy, and Waluigi should all be in line behind Bowser Jr. (and possibly Toad).

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think if he was a DLC character? Not sure if Sakurai or his team is planning on it, but Bamco has done fighting games before with DLC characters, so I wouldn't be too surprised if DLC characters were a thing.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I still would like this little guy in. At this point he may be the only newcomer I support who actually has a chance haha.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I still would like this little guy in. At this point he may be the only newcomer I support who actually has a chance haha.
Yeah, my main wanted newcomers are Bowser Jr., Ridley, and Lucina, but at this point, I believe Jr. has the best chance. I still think he could be likely, but I really, really want him in because I couldn't care less about any of the newcomers except Greninja.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
There is just so much move-set potential with him I feel like, and he really deserves a spot.

domokl

Smash Lord
so if inklings get in as dlc that means paint wouldnt be unique to bowser jr so you better hope inkling never gets in as dlc while inkling is likely to happen for dlc anyway

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I actually want Bowser Jr to have a Squirtle based moveset, rather than his one game item, so personally I hope Inkling gets in for one more reason! (the other being just that I like them)

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see a problem with a character having an item that they used in one game as inspiration for a moveset, or part of it at least. I mean, Mario still has FLUDD even though it was only used in Sunshine, and that was back in like 2002, and Jr. still uses his Paintbrush in other games to this day. I can see Jr. taking inspiration from Squirtle easily though, with Withdraw and some of his aerial attacks. In a perfect situation for me, I see Jr. using his Paintbrush for some of his specials and about half or more of his standard attacks, while the other standard attacks can be derived from Squirtle.

so if inklings get in as dlc that means paint wouldnt be unique to bowser jr so you better hope inkling never gets in as dlc while inkling is likely to happen for dlc anyway
I don't see how Inkling affects Jr.'s chances in any way, shape, or form. And I also don't see how Inkling is likely. Splatoon and Smash 4 are too close for Smash to take stuff from Splatoon. I mean, look at Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy as an example.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
he is the only mario character left who i could realistically see in the game as for paper mario you could argue that it a different series all together

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, it's not like splattering paint all over the place is the only thing Bowser Jr is good at.

He can use those magic wands or probably take some inspirations from the other Koopalings really, or even use some of his own machines. :/

Besides, I highly doubt the Inklings will really pose much of a threat for him anyway.

Top Bottom