• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
To be fair, it's not like splattering paint all over the place is the only thing Bowser Jr is good at.

He can use those magic wands or probably take some inspirations from the other Koopalings really, or even use some of his own machines. :/

Besides, I highly doubt the Inklings will really pose much of a threat for him anyway.
if you think about it the paint thing is more of a shadow mario thing anyway's jr just held the brush we never seen his use it (i think)
in his Koopa forum

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
if you think about it the paint thing is more of a shadow mario thing anyway's jr just held the brush we never seen his use it (i think)
in his Koopa forum
I think he used it in one of the Mario Baseball games (or both) and perhaps one or two other Mario sports titles, but yeah, he's done more things without the paint brush more often than with it. Especially in the platformers.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I think he used it in one of the Mario Baseball games (or both) and perhaps one or two other Mario sports titles, but yeah, he's done more things without the paint brush more often than with it. Especially in the platformers.
i was thinking more of a fighting stand point but i know (he used it or one like it) in a mario sports game
but you never really fight him he in the clown car more then anything

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i was thinking more of a fighting stand point but i know (he used it or one like it) in a mario sports game
but you never really fight him he in the clown car more then anything
True I guess.

I think Bowser jr would have a decent shot assuming Sakurai has one more Mario character hidden as an unlockable and if the "cap" has been increased to 6 which could possibly be the case for Pokemon at least.

All in all, up to this point we haven't seen Bowser jr yet in any way so I guess that's good so far for his supporters.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I feel like if Pokemon gets both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, then Mario is likely to get a secret newcomer. Most likely won't find out though if both Jiggs and Mewtwo made it until the Japanese release date though, since both of them are secret characters themselves. =\

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
True I guess.

I think Bowser jr would have a decent shot assuming Sakurai has one more Mario character hidden as an unlockable and if the "cap" has been increased to 6 which could possibly be the case for Pokemon at least.

All in all, up to this point we haven't seen Bowser jr yet in any way so I guess that's good so far for his supporters.
if mario does get one more mario rep i think it wil lbe bowser jr waluigi is deconfirmed toad is to (i think) we don't need a third mario princess so that leaves jr but i don't think we getting a 6 pokemon (mewtwo or grass starter) so maybe smash 5 we will get him

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yeah the paintbrush is not all Bowser Jr. is known for. I don't think Inkling (who I don't find even likely anyway) will affect his chances.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm not that big if a Bowser Jr. fan, but I do feel bad for his supporters since he wasn't even playable in Mario kart 8. I hope he gets to be an assist or at least have a part in the game since he most likely won't be playable.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Not being playable in Mario Kart 8 is dumb, but Mario Kart rosters have been getting progressively worse anyway (Honey Queen Bee back in 7). Even Diddy Kong isn't playable, which makes me think DLC characters is pretty likely. But anyways, I'd be happy if he was an assist, but I still think he has a decent shot. I kinda hope he isn't a boss though, because after seeing the Yellow Devil, I'm pretty disappointed by this whole idea of boss hazards on stages and I don't like it at all.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Not being playable in Mario Kart 8 is dumb, but Mario Kart rosters have been getting progressively worse anyway (Honey Queen Bee back in 7). Even Diddy Kong isn't playable, which makes me think DLC characters is pretty likely. But anyways, I'd be happy if he was an assist, but I still think he has a decent shot. I kinda hope he isn't a boss though, because after seeing the Yellow Devil, I'm pretty disappointed by this whole idea of boss hazards on stages and I don't like it at all.
makes you think mario kart should just become mario and Nintendo all stars racing im mean pink gold peach

Last edited:

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
I can't decide if I like the idea of Jr.'s Final Smash being the Clown Car or summoning a Polluted Piranha plant more. There is also always the chance of his FS transforming him into Shadow Mario..

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I would think his Final Smash would be summoning one of the big machines he uses throughout Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros., or maybe even using an Airship barrage from Galaxy.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well looks like they are giving more spotlight to NSMB content now with the reveal of Nabbit being an AT and/or stage hazard. I say all the new content based on the NSMB series is good since Bowser Jr. is more prominent villain in that series. Let's just hope this burst of new Mario content is hinting at our favorite prince ^^

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I love all of the new content they're showing for NSMB and hope it means something for Jr.. By the way, I never knew Nabbit's bib was exactly like Bowser Jr.'s bib. Not saying it's a hint or anything, but it's just weird to me that this random new Mario enemy just happens to have a bib that's exactly like Jr.'s.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
They're not exactly the same, Jr's is more a grimace than Nabbit's, and his is a shodily coloured in outline rather than painted on... but either way, you're right, I never noticed it either! I guess Nabbit is a thief though, so maybe he just stole the design.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm so happy! Bowser Jr. is a part of this game in some form! His bib! This may be the most we see of Junior, but it's better than nothing.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Add me to the support list! Bowser Jr is one of my favorite Mario characters and I think he would be a great addition to Smash 4.

With the paint brush, he could have a very unique play style!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Woohoo another supporter!

Bowser Jr. is really the only newcomer I would really be hyped for left. Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Ridley, etc. would be great but I want Bowser Jr. most of all now. I hope he is gets to be playable, if not at least represented in more ways than his bib haha.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I am also a big Bowser Junior supporter. I like the Koopalings as well but they definitely won't be in ssb4 as playable characters.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yeah I think out of any Mario character left, Bowser Jr. has the best chance of making it. Just my opinion though.

I wish this thread had more than 11 pages. :c

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
You know, after seeing Lucina, I wonder if Bowser Jr. is gonna be in, that he'll just be made a clone like her. I don't really mind clones since they bolster the roster which makes people happy, and they still have different playstyles. But it looks like Melee-esque clones are back, so do you think they would take the same approach with Junior? Only move I think they should change for him if they do make him copy Bowser is the Side-B, because Junior just cannot copy that kind of physical ability, I believe.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to his list, how would Bowser Jr's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think Jr would be a speedster for the most part, with some resistor and bruiser elements, but I still hold that he'll be picking up Squirtle's old mechanics and Withdraw too. With that in mind it's a question of shell-shifting out of his papa's attack range when he's in danger and playing it defensively. Against most characters he can present huge amounts of pressure with his medium weight, powerful attacks and shell enhanced speediness, while against resistors he can play keep away with his unique pivot mechanics.

I think he'll struggle more with Jugglers and Bruises who, if they catch him, can put a lot of hurt on the kid.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think Jr would be a speedster for the most part, with some resistor and bruiser elements, but I still hold that he'll be picking up Squirtle's old mechanics and Withdraw too. With that in mind it's a question of shell-shifting out of his papa's attack range when he's in danger and playing it defensively. Against most characters he can present huge amounts of pressure with his medium weight, powerful attacks and shell enhanced speediness, while against resistors he can play keep away with his unique pivot mechanics.

I think he'll struggle more with Jugglers and Bruises who, if they catch him, can put a lot of hurt on the kid.
How would he deal with Speedster/Ranger types like :4tlink:?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
How would he deal with Speedster/Ranger types like :4tlink:?
Withdraw invincibility mostly. Moving quickly to break the distance while avoiding the range bombardment with his shell will allow him to keep up close and personal where TLink's ranging will be nerfed. Not to say TLink will be out of options, his sword spacing can still do some work for him, and when he's got momentum he can still range an off-stage Jr. I think it'd be a pretty interesting, and balanced, match-up with a lot of emphasis on the neutral game.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Withdraw invincibility mostly. Moving quickly to break the distance while avoiding the range bombardment with his shell will allow him to keep up close and personal where TLink's ranging will be nerfed. Not to say TLink will be out of options, his sword spacing can still do some work for him, and when he's got momentum he can still range an off-stage Jr. I think it'd be a pretty interesting, and balanced, match-up with a lot of emphasis on the neutral game.
Basically having to outplay your opponent and time good attacks, eh?

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I've always loved the idea of Jr. in Smash. I really don't understand the hate for him, I mean people love Diddy but Jr gets a lot of flack for being a type of "mini me". Speaking of Diddy, it would be awesome to have a Bowser/Jr vs DK/Diddy match.

As far as fighter type goes, I would say he would definitely be a trickster. He could borrow modified version of Bowser's fire breath (perhaps shooting a single fireball which can traverse the stage) and Up B (trading a bit of horizontal movement for more recovery, and less power for more range). Given how tripping is technically still in due to Diddy's banana peel, I feel Jr.'s down B could be similar, throwing a ball of goop at the ground for opponents to slip on. As for his side B... what about throwing out spinys like Dedede throws out Gordos? This would make for an effective hit and run fighter who can keep his opponents at bay, all the while adding smash attacks with the brush in case the opponent catches up to him.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I've always loved the idea of Jr. in Smash. I really don't understand the hate for him, I mean people love Diddy but Jr gets a lot of flack for being a type of "mini me". Speaking of Diddy, it would be awesome to have a Bowser/Jr vs DK/Diddy match.

As far as fighter type goes, I would say he would definitely be a trickster. He could borrow modified version of Bowser's fire breath (perhaps shooting a single fireball which can traverse the stage) and Up B (trading a bit of horizontal movement for more recovery, and less power for more range). Given how tripping is technically still in due to Diddy's banana peel, I feel Jr.'s down B could be similar, throwing a ball of goop at the ground for opponents to slip on. As for his side B... what about throwing out spinys like Dedede throws out Gordos? This would make for an effective hit and run fighter who can keep his opponents at bay, all the while adding smash attacks with the brush in case the opponent catches up to him.
Wait he's hated because he's a young version of bowser?

That, is honestly, even worse than Paper Mario hate. Really, why?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
A simple google search of "Bowser jr hate" comes up with precious discussions such as this one: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/anyone-else-hate-bowser-jr-271945/
What the?

Wow not only I can't understand those "arguments", but it's also way too ironic.

*hate bowser jr for weird reasons*
*see love of TTYD and the Paper Mario series*

I don't know, but that's like turning the knife in his belly for people in this thread.

No but seriously, he's really hated because of this? I even wonder if I understand why when they "explain".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think most of the hate against Bowser jr stems from him "replacing" the Koopalings, or at least, they have been absent for some time between his first appearance. I think people are more chill with him nowadays though.

Though he really only has jr. after his title. He's quite different from Bowser himself.

I'm not even sure if he can perform a fire breath like Bowser can as I haven't seen him do that yet. Probably fireballs though....

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that said thread is over four years old. There's a chance people's views have altered on him.

Those who disliked him for replacing the seven Koopalings received a New Super Mario Bros. game and now a Mario Kart with those seven, whilst missing Jr, so they're probably more lax over it now. The fact he was retconned to be Bowser's ONLY son probably didn't help ease the dislike amongst Koopaling fans though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to his list, how would Bowser Jr's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Definitely a Speedy Trickster with his paintbrush in hand, doing things such as leaving puddles of paint around to cause opponents to slip and keep them distracted while Jr. goes for the kill, and also could share his Up+B with his dad, but it would have way better vertical recovery and horizontal recovery would be a bit nerfed, due to his small size not letting him travel too far across.

Top Bottom