• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kone Invitational - The UKs First REAL Brawl Tournament. 24/05/08 <-confirmed!

DevMBC

Smash Ace
happy birthday joe an ed =D

i say no to skyworld , electroplankton and great sea D: we could all get shot at an blown up - angles on the bottom platform of skyworld can lead to gimp *** stage spiking an electroplankton is far too tranquil for hardened tournament gladiators such as ourselves.

DevMBC

Smash Ace
nothing's fo sho in the uk, we have pikachus an roys in our finals >_O

i dunno, jus way i see it they're off and we avoid their awkwardness altogether or we put them on an though nobody picks them ryan turns up an takes people nowhere but electroplankton

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Electroplankton sucks balls. So so Skyworld and Great Sea. I won't like coming all the way to England only to get killed by a sweetspot random bomb on Great Sea on my last stock. =(

craiigg

Smash Lord
happy birthday joe and ed ^___^

plz not electroplankton or skyworld .___.

(great sea is good times XD)

AmcD

Smash Ace
They are both bad. I wouldn't won't to go to a tournament and to lose a match due to the stage.

Kone

Smash Master
Chillout and lighten up alan son, throwing your weight around eh?

I dislike skyworld, great sea and elektroplankton. Im glad coen popped in and mentioned the bomb thing on great sea. When me and wes first played it we banned it straight off because of that then replayed it and it hasnt happened since. Forgetfulness is our sin :(

Im happy to take the three of them off if its the consensus? I really dislike them all, so I dont have any major quarry with it unless people really want them on?

Tho i do remember the old pain of being taken to floats

Does anyone else have any input on the stages? I dont see how the random list could be changed. Theres little arguments against the current 6 and no others I think people see fit to be on random.

What about counter picks? any stages people want on or have a valid reason for turning a stage of. Please remember this is the first UK brawl tourney. No overboardness needed.

Coen: at the minute im limiting this to the UK and maybe a handful of foreigners. However, if I werre to turn this into a european event how many dutchies would think about it? could you ask around?

Its the difference between me running it in my house and saying no to foreigners or getting a community hall and bothering my *** to make this thing a kickass event.

LOTS OF HUGS ED

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll ask around, but frankly I'm not expecting more than 1 or 2 people who would actually be interested ;p Most dutchies hate Brawl, from the looks of it ;_;

craiigg

Smash Lord
charles you're a weirdo >________>

Ed meng i'm getting brawl tomorrow so want some games tomorrow night? xD

Kone

Smash Master
craig : yes

coen: thats cos their ****heads. wait till brawl pal is out and melees dead lol

charles: cool ;)

Aiko

Smash Champion
Great sea should definitely be banned. The bombs only favour the weaker player, and gives them a higher chance to win a match when their chances of winning may be lower. If it weren't for the bombs, it'd be ok but since theyre there, you have to put them in the same boat (no pun intended) as fzero, mario kart and to an extent, battleship halberd (kirby level).

Electroplankton shouldn't be on either because the ledges screws up tether recoveries and whip moves. However this is more viable as a counterpick than great sea.

Skyworld shouldnt be on because the ledges screws up so many recoveries, but again like electroplankton, its more viable as a counterpick than great sea.

In terms of random stages, Imo only FD, battlefield and smashville should be on, but if you think a large no. of randoms is suitable then I would say FD, battlefield, smashville, yoshis island, lylat cruise at least and luigis mansion is optional. Delfino and pokemon stadium 1 shouldn't be on there. Pokemon stadium 1 should imo be banned because the windmill is awful and the walls leads to infinites. You can argue that infinites are in melee, but the difference is, many characters in brawl can infinite now and its much easier to do and certainly not determinant of skill.

VA

Smash Hero
Don't counter pick it then lol. I personally don't like a few of the stages on the list but Brawl is a brand new game, and in skyworlds case as it doesnt have walk off sides or anything on the level that can damage you (i think) then its possible it will stay on a counter pick list for alot of tourneys. I mean i hate it but thats not the point. I think what Ed is trying to do with TKI is to put too many stages on and not too few, i mean its gonna be a tourney for money but being the first national tourney it should also have an element of the fun. As far as i see it the stages on the random list need to be neutral, but counter pick stages dont really have to be, just look at melee counter stages especially in American tourneys. The fact that a stage can have advantages to a character is why youd counter pick it, and if you do get counter picked on skyworld you will probably have won a game, so win another lol.
In the case of Skyworld, it's pretty much like fighting downstairs on Hyrule Temple, you bounce off those gay ceilings etc, it's basically totally awful.

Walk off sides were banned in melee largely due to waveshining, I mean I think that Castle Siege is more than appropriate for a counter pick despite the walk off parts. I like it.

Craiigg mengz should I come over tonight or do you want to have some gamez online?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
haven't played much of this game but what I will say is that I really dislike skyworld :(. All of the platforms are breakable which means it's constantly changing. It sucks when you end up worrying more about the stage than actually playing smash

COEY

Smash Lord
In terms of random stages, Imo only FD, battlefield and smashville should be on, but if you think a large no. of randoms is suitable then I would say FD, battlefield, smashville, yoshis island, lylat cruise at least and luigis mansion is optional. Delfino and pokemon stadium 1 shouldn't be on there. Pokemon stadium 1 should imo be banned because the windmill is awful and the walls leads to infinites. You can argue that infinites are in melee, but the difference is, many characters in brawl can infinite now and its much easier to do and certainly not determinant of skill.
Though to be fair i mean fox could infinite against a wall on melee and yes its kinda hard to do, but i mean the set up for it mist of the time is really easy, i mean you try and shield grab and get shined into infinite. Brawl is quite an arial game and everytime i have played on ps1 i havent encountered a situation where i could follow up into an infinite. See this tourney as more of a tuning for the final stage list. If you can find ways or infiniting on ps1 easily then counter pick it dont complain ;)

Aiko

Smash Champion
the brawl event at ALT could be used as a pilot tournament instead. we can use ed's suggestions, see how it goes and then tweak it for TKI. This would also benfit foreigners because some don't want to come only to lose to poor stage selection.

craiigg

Smash Lord
In the case of Skyworld, it's pretty much like fighting downstairs on Hyrule Temple, you bounce off those gay ceilings etc, it's basically totally awful.

Walk off sides were banned in melee largely due to waveshining, I mean I think that Castle Siege is more than appropriate for a counter pick despite the walk off parts. I like it.

Craiigg mengz should I come over tonight or do you want to have some gamez online?
If you didn't get my text then yeah lol come over, my brawl didn't turn up O__O
Should be here tomorrow >__>
postmen are slackaz

Kone

Smash Master
I dont see the brawl event for ALT happening or being a pilot event. Im afraid aiko it looks like sdb wont be there. Jam isnt going for personal reasons, Wes is back in america seeing family and im not prepared to go alone.

I understand everyones opinions regarding elektro, skyworld, great sea and pretty much confirmed they would be off with my last post. I REALLY dislike them myself.

I had also stated that delfino and castle siege would be counter pick only.

There is nothing wrong with ps1. The windmill has changed . . . so what. Learn the new mechanics, learn to tech it and change your approach. In the end of the day if it becomes a pain itll be like the mountain level where everyone just waits anyway. Get my point? its not worth taken of random. Also, infinites arent justified either, not until they PROVE to be in tournament play. Nothing in melee was removed until a long period of testing.

Lylat and yoshis story have no problems either. Just get used to a different stage setup.

Im also not bothered too much about foreigners, usually i say no to them as its to much hassle but if thers only a handful then its cool. Plus; Mrsilver,rune and guido are old accquaintances so there allowed to anything i host.

Kone

Smash Master
Aye, but then brawl wont have any competition ;) . SDB the only ones with the game =x lol. Your talking as if itll be a pilot scheme but i dont think youll hae the numbers of people thatll have played it for it to be worthwhile. Heck, my tournament in may will barely stretch to a good enough number of people that own brawl ^_^

Spoke to scott/adam and there both unable to get time of work for alt. Sorry aiko, was wanting to take your money and leave your pengy with egg on his face :(

Looking forward to this tourney ;) would update first post but wes isnt here. REALLY annoying

EDIT - Just wondering who is coming that WILL bring a wii+brawl ?

SDB =

me
jam
wes
adam

(potentially two more in scott/will)

aiko,box?

COEY

Smash Lord
Yea i will be able, if i haven't got brawl by TKI then i also wont be alive and therefore wouldnt be attending anyway. So yea add another wii and brawl to the list please =x

J03

Smash Master
that joke was horrendous xD.

wuv yew xD

ed. once i get the game my wolf is simply gonna rip yall a new one, all at the same time, i mean, have you seen his claws mengz

grayfox

Smash Champion
Bad times Craiigggg T___T

I just seen this thread lol, a few things:

Happy belated birthday to Ed and Joe!

This plankton stage sounds the best of times. Never played brawl so it stands to reason i can't give my opinion on it really, yet, in comparison to what happened with the melee stages - please have on as many viable stages as possible. This after all is a test tourney practically, the game isn't even out yet. N the days of peaches castle and that dk stage with the rap music were good ones lol.

Awesome times if Matt, Rune and Guido can come!!!! Q too = DDDD **** man i'd love to see all the old faces again

As for my attendance, i know i've flaked a great deal in the year or so but that has been on priorities of no money or having money i'd rather spend elsewhere. As this goes, aslong as i have no exams on the dates (got them on may), then i'll do anything to get to this.

Frozenwave

Smash Ace
i say use

Luigi's Mansion
FD (lol at bottom of the stage)
Battlefield
Smashville
Pokemon stadium melee
Yoshis story/island forgot name, but its the brawl version

OR

Custom Stage and just make a box

Who mains Ice Climbers here? :(

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i was playing darvor on netplay last night, was really fun =D + me frozenwave and nhat like brawl.

For some reason it didnt lag at all against darvor o_O woot woot

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
If I'm coming I'll definitely bring my Wii+Brawl. :D

Should be able to so long as travel doesn't cost too much, maybe I can find a bunch of people to go with via coach.

Kone

Smash Master
If you went through london by coach itll be cheap plus possiblity of coordinating trip with londoners.

Top Bottom