• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Klones (the Ganon character design thread)

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I see your point, sir. Well made. There was actually a person that always said that they should include a certain character, I can't remember the name of the guy, but he's from F-Zero and uses shadow. What if we gave Ganon's move set to that guy, and gave Ganon a new moveset so that old Ganon players wouldn't be totally left in the dark? Of course, that's far fetched seeing as how Sakura doesn't want to do anything more with the game.
It's a good idea (btw- his name is "Black Shadow" also there is another character that "fits the bill" who's name is "DeathBorn")
But most would be upset over this character out right replacing smash Ganon.

A win-win situation (imho) will be to have Melee/OoT Ganondorf with an updated "Smash Ganon" move set. And have TP Ganondorf have a some similarities to the Smash/OoT Ganon but over all be completely unique.

For example;
-OoT Ganon will have a Flame Choke that launches the foe like Gerudo Dragon did in Melee. And TP Ganondorf has Brawl/Smash4 Flame Choke.
-OoT Ganondorf Dair stomp is quicker and strong while TP Ganon's Dair is slower but even stronger.
-OoT Ganon has the skull crusher Fair while TP Ganon has a similar move but it uses a sword and the move had more range who's being weaker and slightly slower.
But most things would be different like TP Ganon hovering, teleporting, B projectile, sword using etc.

I think you guys get the point lol...

This solution of 2 Ganondorfs will please everyone and than no one can really complain. "Smash Ganon" fans get to keep him the same (not considering any possible changes he might get) and Ganondorf fans get a unique and true to series character.
Win-Win!

If we have 2 Links, 2 Samus. And the likes of Marth and Lucina with only slight alterations between, I have a difficult time imagining this couldn't fly with 2 VERY different Ganondorfs on the roster both adding something unique to the game.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well of course. How else are you supposed to fight ditto matches with Ganondorf if there wasn't? :p

In all honesty, that's not as farfetched as it seems.
^This guy is a shill for Falcondorf in every way.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
We have three timelines and a Ganondorf for every timeline + FS Ganondorf and HW Ganondorf. All five could turn into Ganon. I don't see how that's wrong.
It's the same Ganon just in different timeline's. The only time another Ganon resurfaced was in one of the timeline splits where Ganon was resurrected. As in not Ganondorf Dragmire.

And most recent occurrences of Ganon happen to be post Oracles where Ganon was a mindless beast.

HW is in a separate timeline/dimension. As far as the official timeline goes everything in HW does not exist.

Folt

Smash Ace
It's the same Ganon just in different timeline's. The only time another Ganon resurfaced was in one of the timeline splits where Ganon was resurrected. As in not Ganondorf Dragmire.

And most recent occurrences of Ganon happen to be post Oracles where Ganon was a mindless beast.

HW is in a separate timeline/dimension. As far as the official timeline goes everything in HW does not exist.
Then that proves my point: There are indeed multiple Ganondorfs (and Ganons by proxy). But it is as a consequence of what happened when the timelines split. Each Ganondorf went on from their point to meet different fates and either are or are not active at the moment.

(As well as FS Ganondorf and HW Ganondorf where only one of them is in a current established timeline while the other one is in an separate Zelda universe where things turned out different.)

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Then that proves my point: There are indeed multiple Ganondorfs (and Ganons by proxy). But it is as a consequence of what happened when the timelines split. Each Ganondorf went on from their point to meet different fates and either are or are not active at the moment.

(As well as FS Ganondorf and HW Ganondorf where only one of them is in a current established timeline while the other one is in an separate Zelda universe where things turned out different.)
But as of Smash there is only one Ganon in the game on the roster.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Sakurai's whole "multiple Ganons" bit just proves how little he (and by extent his little Uprising waifus) knows about, as Viridi called it, Ganon Canon. Ganondorf has always been the same guy in each game, with only a single technicality with his Four Swords Adventure incarnation being a legit reincarnation, rather than the typical revival he get's. Whereas Sakurai largely implied that every single Ganon/Ganondorf are totally different people, and all of them certified F-Zero pilots apparently.

CannonGanon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1498-3334
It's a good idea (btw- his name is "Black Shadow" also there is another character that "fits the bill" who's name is "DeathBorn")
But most would be upset over this character out right replacing smash Ganon.

A win-win situation (imho) will be to have Melee/OoT Ganondorf with an updated "Smash Ganon" move set. And have TP Ganondorf have a some similarities to the Smash/OoT Ganon but over all be completely unique.

For example;
-OoT Ganon will have a Flame Choke that launches the foe like Gerudo Dragon did in Melee. And TP Ganondorf has Brawl/Smash4 Flame Choke.
-OoT Ganondorf Dair stomp is quicker and strong while TP Ganon's Dair is slower but even stronger.
-OoT Ganon has the skull crusher Fair while TP Ganon has a similar move but it uses a sword and the move had more range who's being weaker and slightly slower.
But most things would be different like TP Ganon hovering, teleporting, B projectile, sword using etc.

I think you guys get the point lol...

This solution of 2 Ganondorfs will please everyone and than no one can really complain. "Smash Ganon" fans get to keep him the same (not considering any possible changes he might get) and Ganondorf fans get a unique and true to series character.
Win-Win!

If we have 2 Links, 2 Samus. And the likes of Marth and Lucina with only slight alterations between, I have a difficult time imagining this couldn't fly with 2 VERY different Ganondorfs on the roster both adding something unique to the game.
Right. Like I always said, hey there's Toon Link, why not Toon Ganon that uses swords and has much more mobility and Ganon-esque moves?

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Give me Pig Ganon. But Sakurai will just say lolno Black Bull(Beast Ganon aka Pig Ganon) is Falcondorf's Final Smash.

Folt

Smash Ace
But as of Smash there is only one Ganon in the game on the roster.
And Zelda would have had the usual "turn into Sheik and back" thing if the 3DS could have done it.

And there are two Samuses on the roster, even if we know that there's only one Samus in her Metroid (we do have Dark Samus, but she's already an Assist Trophy), so how many of a character there are on the roster is not that important.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
And Zelda would have had the usual "turn into Sheik and back" thing if the 3DS could have done it.

And there are two Samuses on the roster, even if we know that there's only one Samus in her Metroid (we do have Dark Samus, but she's already an Assist Trophy), so how many of a character there are on the roster is not that important.
I agree.
But fyi- Dark Samus isn't really a different Samus, or even a clone of her in cannon.
its "Metroid Prime" after he is defeated and absorbed Samus' Phazon suit in order to stay alive

But your point still holds true regardless

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

I look at Samus as the SA-X from Metroid Fusion. And Samus as ZSS.

Regardless on the whole transformations are separate thing, Giga Bowser and co notwithstanding, you have to admit that there are 2 Links, 2 Zelda's, and 1 Ganon in Smash.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I look at Samus as the SA-X from Metroid Fusion. And Samus as ZSS.

Regardless on the whole transformations are separate thing, Giga Bowser and co notwithstanding, you have to admit that there are 2 Links, 2 Zelda's, and 1 Ganon in Smash.
That a cool/interesting way of looking at it, I like it. But the point stands that it's the same Samus. Regardless of our "head-cannon".

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
That a cool/interesting way of looking at it, I like it. But the point stands that it's the same Samus. Regardless of our "head-cannon".
Well personally. Samus never made computer noises when Samus got damaged. So that's probably Sakurai's "headcanon" at work.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Well personally. Samus never made computer noises when Samus got damaged. So that's probably Sakurai's "headcanon" at work.
Your 100% correct! Not trying to argue with you brother (sorry if it comes off that way, it's not the intention).
Obviously Sakurai uses a lot of his "head-cannon" heck just take a look at this thread... It because Sakurai is completely biased toward certain characters and makes them very close to actual cannon while other characters *cough...Ganondorf...cough* get the "shaft" and he just makes up crap for them lol!

Last edited:
Totally, I have wondered about the similar things. I know to keep a fighting game like Smash Brothers would be difficult. But, come on! Is it difficult to give a new moveset for Ganondorf? Yeah, stop praising Falcondorf like "He is so badass that he can pummel others with some heavy armors!" or "His fighting style is totally beast! He ain't need new moveset!" It is a discussion a possibilities of Ganon earns a potential moveset, not a thread of praising.

It is reasonable that Kids Icraus has so much content because Sakurai could save some development time by borrowing the content from the game. However, a thousand and thousand of details on each tiny piny detail will not satisfy the general goal. It is like I want to order a pizza from a restaurant, but the chef makes me a pudding instead. Then the chef tells me all the detail about his very pudding he made me. I want that pizza! See? It is like some people suck up the reputation of the reviews and forgot the essence. It is not like because the restaurant is five star then I can accept anything the restaurant offers.

Rialdospaldacht

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how Ganondorf's moveset has to be justified with jumping through all these hoops like "it fits his personality" or "it represents his power" when no other character in the game has to and they can just go and fight like themselves.

D

Deleted member 278362

[ removed ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Folt

Smash Ace
The real reason for that (and probably a lot of other stuff) is that Smash as a whole is a silly series where characters fight each other and do silly stuff for no reason.

Which I'd say is it's appeal.

It's funny how Ganondorf's moveset has to be justified with jumping through all these hoops like "it fits his personality" or "it represents his power" when no other character in the game has to and they can just go and fight like themselves.
I dunno 'bout that. Some other fighters are in the same boat (like, I really doubt Cpt. Falcon would fight as flashy as he does in Smash).

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I dunno 'bout that. Some other fighters are in the same boat (like, I really doubt Cpt. Falcon would fight as flashy as he does in Smash).
Captain Falcon had no moveset to begin with, so it's not like there's anything to contradict. Ganon's different.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
The real reason for that (and probably a lot of other stuff) is that Smash as a whole is a silly series where characters fight each other and do silly stuff for no reason.

Which I'd say is it's appeal.
Why take the time to keep Megaman and Pacman to source material then? After all like you said Smash is a game where silly things happen for no reason.

I'd love to see Ganondorf get a new moveset. Twin swords, dark magic, speed, bits and pieces of what he has now, and no mercy. Sounds like Ganondorf to me if you combine all the Zelda timelines.
You get all these things and more with Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
Just made an account, hello! :D

This is weird for me, I really like Ganondorf in Smash, but I also dislike how he's represented at the same time. It goes both ways for me. Also, I DO think Ganondorf could do all of this, he could easily fight with his fists, I mean, as we all know, he's a very physical warlock lol ;p he just seems to be handicapping himself... ;/

What I would do is, keep his basic moveset and feel the same, but just change things here and there to give him more a a Dorf feel.

Things I like and think should stay the same:

. F-tilt
. D-tilt
. Flame Choke. Seriously, this is so Ganondorf for me, I mean, grabbing someone's face then blasting it with energy? Hell yes ;p
. F-air
. D-air

Things that maybe should change:

. Warlock Punch - I love this... I honestly don't know whether it should change or not ;/ I'm personally leading towards keeping it.
. Maybe a jab combo that sends them up and can lead to follow ups
. N-air - Maybe have it as a magic attack that covers both sides of him more?

Things I would change:

. Down-B to Dead man's Volley. Or, have it as DMV on the ground, and the normal dropkick while in the air. Although, that could be OP? ;o
Edit: How about having it so it can be hit back and forth...? Would be accurate :p aha
. Up-B to include a hover of some sort
. Up-tilt animation to a ball of energy in his hands like that Hyrule Warriors combo. Seriously, this move has got me kills, it's a good edge guard, but the animation... I can't imagine Ganondorf doing that... So yeah, keep it the same, JUST change the animation.
. B-air has a small blast of dark energy, that sprays a bit like fire with hit boxes. Would help to keep people away.
. Change the grab animations to include more... magic, I guess.

Also just wanna mention that I like the fact that he doesn't use a sword, it's so badass to punch people with the Dorf lol.

That's all I can think of atm. I think most people would like it, it doesn't change him to the point that his play style would totally change. But at the same time, makes him feel more like a badass Warlock. Not that he already doesn't, but he could have been so much more, he is Ganondorf after all.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sakurai's whole "multiple Ganons" bit just proves how little he (and by extent his little Uprising waifus) knows about, as Viridi called it, Ganon Canon. Ganondorf has always been the same guy in each game, with only a single technicality with his Four Swords Adventure incarnation being a legit reincarnation, rather than the typical revival he get's. Whereas Sakurai largely implied that every single Ganon/Ganondorf are totally different people, and all of them certified F-Zero pilots apparently.
Sakurai has never implied that there has been multiple Ganons as far as we can remember.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
I would'nt be up for changing ganon, admittedly I main him so i'm ever so slightly biased XD, but while his moves are exactly the same to falcons animation wise, his speed and strength and playstyle could'nt be more different.
Not to mention Ganon's never had an exact moveset, he's changed it up in each of the games he's been in, admittedly generally he has used swords though.

if they were to change him up slightly, I think a better way about it would be to allow him to use the sword similiair to that brawl mod, alot of the chars in smash 4 have massive unique differences such as megaman, littlemac and shulks playstyle, giving ganondorf a way to change between two different playstyles, a longer reaching but less powerful sword and his ordinary moveset could be interesting if not hard to balance.
I would love a Toon ganon though, he duel weilds swords which aside from metaknight, no one else in smash does that so they could build a unique fighter out of that.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A0957er_Ro

"One thing you should know, Pit, is that there are many different Ganons."
Again, Sakurai has never said that. That's a line of dialogue said by Viridi.

She has also said that she wants to kill humans and such, or are you going to tell me that that implies that Sakurai wants to kill humanity? What a character says does not necessarily reflect what the author thinks.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

She has also said that she wants to kill humans and such, or are you going to tell me that that implies that Sakurai wants to kill humanity? What a character says does not necessarily reflect what the author thinks.
Learn to differentiate factual information in the Zelda canon as opposed to a juvenile Tsun Tsun loli Nature Goddess with a huge Magic Stick for a weapon who wants to wipe out humanity for petty reasons on par with most Greek Deities in mythical lore.

If you want to argue semantics Sakurai has never said a lot of things and he has also said a lot of things. Things that he often contradicts. As great a developer he is, he is still like a child that has decided that a Chicken Sandwich makes for a better Hamburger then a Hamburger. And Ganondorf right now is that Chicken Sandwich.

It just so happens that a group of people REALLY LIKE that Chicken Sandwich while others say while that Chicken Sandwich is alright they would much prefer their Ganon to be the meatier Hamburger he deserves.

Much like Bowser's transformation from a Pork Chop into a Spicy Steak of greatness.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Learn to differentiate factual information in the Zelda canon as opposed to a juvenile Tsun Tsun loli Nature Goddess with a huge Magic Stick for a weapon who wants to wipe out humanity for petty reasons on par with most Greek Deities in mythical lore.
Same for you. Learn the difference between what someone actually says rather that what one of their characters say.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Same for you. Learn the difference between what someone actually says rather that what one of their characters say.
Implications of what is said implies there is more then one Ganondorf. Which isn't true. Therefore it is wrong.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Implications of what is said implies there is more then one Ganondorf. Which isn't true. Therefore it is wrong.
While there aren't that many, there are actually two of them at the very at least with FSA Dorf being a reincarnation. It could also be a reference to the split timeline where he, although the same entity, differs a lot from each other and walks differents paths through history

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
While there aren't that many, there are actually two of them at the very at least with FSA Dorf being a reincarnation. It could also be a reference to the split timeline where he, although the same entity, differs a lot from each other and walks differents paths through history
The fact of the matter is that when Ganondorf becomes Ganon he isn't Ganondorf anymore. It's Ganondorf losing all his humanity and by extension becomes a new entity Ganon. While saying there are multiple Ganon's can technically be correct it's still wrong. Here's why. Because Viridi in this instance is referring to Ganondorf and as we know in all of Zelda at any point there was only ever one Ganondorf Dragmire.

Now if we look purely at Ganon the creature we can safely say there are multiple. Over the course of the series Ganon has taken on various different forms all based on a Demonic Boar.

But the thing is in this game we have Ganondorf not Ganon and the only Ganon form Ganondorf takes on is from TP. Therefore by Smash canon only one form of Ganon is present.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Sakurai clearly used her to deliver what I'm sure he thought was a fact about Ganondorf. Getting technical and trying to argue semantics will go nowhere. Viridi is wrong and Sakurai is wrong, and that's all there is to it. So much for knowing "Ganon Canon", is all I can say. lol

She has also said that she wants to kill humans and such, or are you going to tell me that that implies that Sakurai wants to kill humanity?
Being evil and giving "trivia" on a character from a different universe based entirely on the creator's false knowledge are 2 completely different things.

While there aren't that many, there are actually two of them at the very at least with FSA Dorf being a reincarnation.
2 is not "many".

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
The fact of the matter is that when Ganondorf becomes Ganon he isn't Ganondorf anymore. It's Ganondorf losing all his humanity and by extension becomes a new entity Ganon. While saying there are multiple Ganon's can technically be correct it's still wrong. Here's why. Because Viridi in this instance is referring to Ganondorf and as we know in all of Zelda at any point there was only ever one Ganondorf Dragmire.

Now if we look purely at Ganon the creature we can safely say there are multiple. Over the course of the series Ganon has taken on various different forms all based on a Demonic Boar.

But the thing is in this game we have Ganondorf not Ganon and the only Ganon form Ganondorf takes on is from TP. Therefore by Smash canon only one form of Ganon is present.
Without Ganondorf, there is no Ganon. Just because the designers like to redesign his form every Zelda, doesn't mean it's a different creature. Ganondorf IS Ganon, it's simply a transformation that he can go into and go out of, thanks to the triforce of power. I don't know how that makes him a different being.

I do remember hearing of one game where he's thought to be a different Ganon/dorf, but I can't remember which one it was... probably one for the old games that split from the Link is defeated timeline, idk, I'm not very good with the timeline.

On a side note, I'm really not that keen on his typical blue-ish pig form... looks too... hmm saturday morning cartoon villain for me lol. This is my personal best design for him http://zeldawiki.org/images/3/3b/OoT_Ganon.png

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Why take the time to keep Megaman and Pacman to source material then? After all like you said Smash is a game where silly things happen for no reason.
They're guest stars and characters not made by Nintendo or any of their subsidiaries. Even then, they may get changed in order to fit better, like how Pac-Man gets original moves to fill out his moveset or how Snake doesn't use weapons other than those that are or fire explosives, but keeps his CQC techniques. Mega Man by contrast to the others needed little changes in order to fit in, since he could already take most of his moves from the way his weapons worked.

Captain Falcon had no moveset to begin with, so it's not like there's anything to contradict. Ganon's different.
We know him to be a bounty hunter in a futuristic setting. That's enough information to make a truer moveset than what he currently has. As it is, Captain Falcon's moveset was made up on the spot, or based on the only prototype sentai-like moveset from before Smash was Smash which is probably more likely: Captain Falcon fit the masculine build of the polygons programmed in at the time, and there were enough people who knew who and from where he came (though he wasn't that well-known, which is likely why he got in as a secret character). If anything, Cpt. Falcon would probably have more in common with Fox if they were to design a moveset for him from the scratch, than the sentai moveset he currently has.

Ganondorf's inclusion in Melee is more or less the same thing: He got in because he had the right masculine build for what Sakurai needed: a cloned Falcon moveset, and he was also a lot more well-known than any of the other F-Zero cast (and also came from a more prominent franchise as well because let's be frank, Captain Falcon can rep the playable side of F-Zero very well on his own).

This guy gets it.

But there is the question. There are so many characters in the game do not have moveset to begin with. ANY characters from Star Fox (don't tell they have guns and reflectors), pokemon (arguably if consider the anime is the concept of the moveset), retro characters such Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, Rob (slam the gameplay mechanic from other franchises such that Mr. Game and Watch is essentially the conglomeration of all Game and Watch mini games), and finally Cap.Falcon.

All these characters got some excuses either they really lack of potential movesets or ideas. However, this makes Ganondorf an exception. At first, I was surprised that Ganondorf has his "sword" in his victory pose in melee years ago, as well as the same EXACT sword in Gamecube Zelda Techno trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvE3yJv3fm0. It is now a contradiction. First, Sakurai wants to keep the character as it is (cough, cough, Ridley. Remember?), yet, when is the last time Ganondorf wields a sword in OCARINA OF TIME!? It is at most the trident from Phantom Ganondorf from forest temple, or the giant golden dual blades wield by Ganon in the finale. Later, Ganondorf has the sword in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and possibly Skyward Sword Demise (the predecessor of Ganondorf, or consider Ganondorf is the incarnation of Demise's hatred).

In the bottom line, if Ganondorf has a unique yet far from root moveset could be understandable because melee has a short developing time. However, Ganondorf is still a clone or a semi-clone other prefer. It is also unacceptable that Ganondorf has wield such a massive blade in trophy and victory pose, and yet does not show up in the later game. Here is another analogy, I hope the supporters of both side can see it.

I want to eat an Angus burger in the commercial. The burger in commercial is half pound and with 5 toppings to pick from. When I arrive the store and order the burger, I got a .25 lb burger and only a ketchup in the burger. If the sword in melee is a commercial for the techno-demo, then why makes it so real in the first place, or could the trophy state the reason behind it? Ganondorf should be the way we have always wanted, Ganondorf can have unique moveset AND under the impression in Ocarina of Time, not a clone.

For last, please do not say Ganondorf's clone style fits him completely like "Oh, his Jump is so adrenaline pumping! Or his running amation is so imitation! Totally not something from Friday the Thirteen. If there are some supporters for the clone moveset, then opens a new thread for it. Or the thread discussion will be in a big loop over and over

Folt

Smash Ace
But there is the question. There are so many characters in the game do not have moveset to begin with. ANY characters from Star Fox (don't tell they have guns and reflectors), pokemon (arguably if consider the anime is the concept of the moveset), retro characters such Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, Rob (slam the gameplay mechanic from other franchises such that Mr. Game and Watch is essentially the conglomeration of all Game and Watch mini games), and finally Cap.Falcon.

All these characters got some excuses either they really lack of potential movesets or ideas. However, this makes Ganondorf an exception. At first, I was surprised that Ganondorf has his "sword" in his victory pose in melee years ago, as well as the same EXACT sword in Gamecube Zelda Techno trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvE3yJv3fm0. It is now a contradiction. First, Sakurai wants to keep the character as it is (cough, cough, Ridley. Remember?), yet, when is the last time Ganondorf wields a sword in OCARINA OF TIME!? It is at most the trident from Phantom Ganondorf from forest temple, or the giant golden dual blades wield by Ganon in the finale. Later, Ganondorf has the sword in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and possibly Skyward Sword Demise (the predecessor of Ganondorf, or consider Ganondorf is the incarnation of Demise's hatred).

In the bottom line, if Ganondorf has a unique yet far from root moveset could be understandable because melee has a short developing time. However, Ganondorf is still a clone or a semi-clone other prefer. It is also unacceptable that Ganondorf has wield such a massive blade in trophy and victory pose, and yet does not show up in the later game. Here is another analogy, I hope the supporters of both side can see it.

I want to eat an Angus burger in the commercial. The burger in commercial is half pound and with 5 toppings to pick from. When I arrive the store and order the burger, I got a .25 lb burger and only a ketchup in the burger. If the sword in melee is a commercial for the techno-demo, then why makes it so real in the first place, or could the trophy state the reason behind it? Ganondorf should be the way we have always wanted, Ganondorf can have unique moveset AND under the impression in Ocarina of Time, not a clone.

For last, please do not say Ganondorf's clone style fits him completely like "Oh, his Jump is so adrenaline pumping! Or his running amation is so imitation! Totally not something from Friday the Thirteen. If there are some supporters for the clone moveset, then opens a new thread for it. Or the thread discussion will be in a big loop over and over
That's probably one of the other reasons for Sakurai picking Ganondorf to be the clone: A model to use for the GameCube already existed since that Ganondorf's Melee model also is (or is based) on the one on the 2000 Spaceworld demo. He probably included the sword in one of his victory poses as an easter egg and a based shout-out to the demo where he (presumably) got the model from. Ganondorf's design would latter be updated to Twilight Princess, and his moveset would be updated to include moves inspired by that particular incarnation's non-sword moves (while the Spaceworld Sword would then be swapped out for the Sage Sword).

As for why Ganondorf has stayed a semiclone, as I've said before, Ganondorf has made his luigified Captain Falcon moveset his own and he does his own thing with it now. However, I'd like to talk more about why I feel that way: Ganondorf is one of the few Nintendo characters who can rival Captain Falcon in masculinity and this makes Ganondorf in many ways a foil to other villains like Vaati or Ghirahim, or to the heroes: Link (while the fighting style of both tend to lean more towards power and less towards skill, Link appears to rely more on his natural talent while Ganondorf relies more on his natural strength, Link also has some effeminate features which contrasts nicely with the masculine Ganondorf) and Zelda (both are reincarnations of a divine/supernatural being, but Zelda is wise, graceful, and feminine while Ganondorf is powerful, brutal, and masculine).

However, there's a key difference between them: Captain Falcon's take on the moveset makes him look like a sentai hero with a certain finesse behind his moves, but Ganondorf's take on the moveset after Brawl, makes him look absolutely BRUTAL. And both of their appearances really sell this: Captain Falcon's suit does make him look like some sort of sentai hero while Ganondorf comes in with full armor and looks that could kill.

In a way, both Captain Falcon and Ganondorf in Smash are foils to one another too: Both are masculine, strongly built men, but Captain Falcon's masculinity enhances the flashy sentai hero he's built up as in Smash while Ganondorf's is another indicator of his status as a brutal villain. Their different takes on a moveset further enhance these images in a way that makes them fit this particular Captain Falcon and Ganondorf respectively: While Captain Falcon's moveset looks flashy and has finesse behind the moves that fits with the sentai hero he is in Smash, Ganondorf's looks powerful and brutal and has properties that vastly underplay and/or remove the flash that Captain Falcon's known for, which both fits with how serious a villain he is, and fits with the series' penchant for enjoyable silliness.

As for the burger analogy: The sword was included as an easter egg due to where his model actually came from. There's no reason for him to have it: It's just something that was put in for fun due to where the model came from.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Though I like Ganondorf's current moveset and I think it fits him, I would make a few changes if I were in charge.

The gameplay style is unique enough, so that wouldn't change, though I'd give him a few new moves:
- Up A: Animation change from a kick to him charging a magical energy ball before throwing it to the ground, causing an explosion. Essentially, the move would remain the same, just an animation change.
- Side Smash: Have him thrust his sword forward. It would buff the range, but other proprieties would remain the largely the same.
- Down Smash: New move in which he slams a ball of energy to the ground, causing it to explode in a wave of darkness and attack foes on both sides at once.
- Neutral Special: Darkness Wave - Instead of punching the foe with full might, he would shoot a wave of darkness, giving the move improved range, but otherwise keeping the same proprieties. This would be inspired by the cutscene preceding his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. (He does have a similar move to this in his 3rd neutral special variation in Smash 4.)
- Down Special: Shockwave - Based on a move from his Ocarina of Time fight, in which he slams the ground sending shockwaves around him. This move would work similarly to Bowser and Yoshi's down specials, except with more power and range, dealing electrical damage to nearby foes.

Small changes (only 5 moves, with some being purely aesthetic changes) that would keep his gameplay style (thus, still a slower, heavier version of Falcon overall), but at the same time, diversifying his moves and showing the versatility he shows throughout the Zelda series. Those sort of changes wouldn't be too different from what Bowser and Pit had from Brawl to Smash 4.

I feel he doesn't need a radical change, but instead change some of his moves to be more similar to stuff he does in the games. Brawl already diversified him by giving him two moves based on instances of hand-to-hand combat from Twilight Princess (side A and side special), gave him a few new moves (up Smash, forward aerial and neutral A) and overall made his cloned moves from Falcon have a more Ganon-like feel (animation changes in Warlock Punch and several others).

I think the problem with Ganondorf's moveset is not an inaccurate portrayal, but the lack of moves coming from his own games. If you disregard his status as a Falcon semi-clone, you'll see that his moves do reflect his ruthless, brutal personality and his sheer physical strength, having his magic skills incorporated as well, powering up his already powerful physical strength. In that sense, the best would be incorporating some moves from the games into the moveset, leaving the Falcon-clone moves as filler, resulting in a best of both worlds approach: he would be closer to his portrayal in the Zelda series, while still keeping the gameplay style he's always had in Smash, thus not alienating veteran players.

On Viridi's commentary about "multiple Ganons", I think it leaves itself to some interpretation, considering different timelines and times when he reincarnates or is resurrected. Though I wouldn't discard the possibility of a mis-translation. The best thing would be to analyze the original Japanese script rather than going with the English dub. (Though I wouldn't take those seriously, considering the tongue-in-cheek nature of those conversations and how some trophy descriptions contain mistakes.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom