• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Klones (the Ganon character design thread)

Folt

Smash Ace
I disagree with this whole heatedly! he was barely changed at all from Brawl. And he still shares way too many moves and animations with C. Falcon to be considered unique. And how would Sword smashes, a new N-B, a new Up tilt with maybe a new Nair and some new throws and making each of his animations be unique and differ from Falcon would change the character too much? I can almost guarantee that 99% of current Ganon mains would love these types of changes if they were done in Smash 4/5. people don't like change until they see it in action. See what happened with Project M Ganon; someone said he will be getting a float + a reflector and he got laughed at and everyone hated the idea. As soon as they saw it in action everyone loved it.
If you're talking about the iteration where Warlock Punch is now a Smash attack, no thank you to that.

U-tilt and nair are also two of the moves unique to Ganondorf. Volcano Kick is p satisfying to land when you do while the nair has the least amount of landing lag right now and is a 2-hit attack, something Ganondorf doesn't have a lot off. Ganondorf as-is has at least eight moves that are different from Captain Falcon, with a couple more that have different animations or functions (with some that are similiar, but not entirely alike). There's always custom moves if you want to see Ganondorf use his sword in action (or the fact that his customs are just about all very different from the good captain's). Most of all, he feels incredibly powerful to play as, and is incredibly satisfying to get kills with (also, Reverse Warlock Punching Sandbag in Home-Run Contest and see him fly so far will never get old).

I'm sure those changes are nice, but keep them to game mods if you want to change him that much. Ganondorf as he currently is has made the moveset his own, and I am loath to see it go away (or have it put onto Black Shadow: If F-Zero is going to get another rep, I'd rather it be Samurai Goroh, and Black Shadow isn't as cool as Ganondorf).

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Instead of Black Shadow why not DeathBorn?
If Sakurai loves the move set so much he should just give it to his character Hades from Kid Icarus.
I highly doubt that another F-Zero character will ever be added (unfortunately).

But death born is a really cool suggestion! In a lot of art work he even stands jut like Ganon in smash.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
If Sakurai loves the move set so much he should just give it to his character Hades from Kid Icarus.
I highly doubt that another F-Zero character will ever be added (unfortunately).

But death born is a really cool suggestion! In a lot of art work he even stands jut like Ganon in smash.
Yeah Deathborn was pretty much generic evil thing. And the moveset would actually fit well I would think. If Sakurai wants to stick with the slower Captain Falcon clone set then I would prefer it be mapped to another F-Zero character. I love Ganondorf but I stand resolute that this Ganondorf is in name and model only.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah Deathborn was pretty much generic evil thing. And the moveset would actually fit well I would think. If Sakurai wants to stick with the slower Captain Falcon clone set then I would prefer it be mapped to another F-Zero character. I love Ganondorf but I stand resolute that this Ganondorf is in name and model only.
I disagree. Ganondorf has shown to not be above using hand-to-hand combat and is a character with overwhelming power as well, so it's certain to say that it's his moveset captures his character in this regard.

Last edited:

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
I disagree with this whole heatedly! he was barely changed at all from Brawl. And he still shares way too many moves and animations with C. Falcon to be considered unique. And how would Sword smashes, a new N-B, a new Up tilt with maybe a new Nair and some new throws and making each of his animations be unique and differ from Falcon would change the character too much? I can almost guarantee that 99% of current Ganon mains would love these types of changes if they were done in Smash 4/5. people don't like change until they see it in action. See what happened with Project M Ganon; someone said he will be getting a float + a reflector and he got laughed at and everyone hated the idea. As soon as they saw it in action everyone loved it.
I'm all in favor of him getting more unique animations, don't get me wrong! But his actual playstyle and winning strategy is undeniably different from Falcon, and definitely makes him feel like a savage and powerful fighter. I would definitely miss his brutal up smash if it were replaced by another sword strike. We've got Link, TL, Shulk, Marth, Lucina, MK, Pit, DP, Robin and Ike all swinging around blades already. Replacing his ripped animations to be totally different than C. Falcon would be good, but fundamentally changing how they work gameplay-wise would bug me. I don't think all Ganon mains would be fine with the replacement of some of his already defining stuff like his up tilt and newly-armored neutral b. Now, making them actually viable against good players would be awesome.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I disagree. Ganondorf has shown to not be above using hand-to-hand combat and is a character with overwhelming power as well, so it's certain to say that it's his moveset captures his character in this regard.
Just give me more animations fitting to Ganondorf and a Reflect on his jab and a better Up B or make Dark Fists the standard and I'll be peachy. Less Falcon and more Dorf.

I stand with Ganondorf because if anyone needs our support it would be him. We need something against the Link Projectile Spam, the Zelda Magic Projectile Spam, the Sheik Needle and Grenade spam. All that spam.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I would definitely miss his brutal up smash if it were replaced by another sword strike.
Here here! I have so much love for that kick you have no idea. Fewer things are satisfying than connecting with an opponent trying to execute a d-air ^_^

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I love how Ganon is currently but I also think he could be represented better. The only thing is they can't really represent him correctly or he would break the game. He would be invincible since the only thing that can harm him is light and the Master Sword (seriously, dude got stabbed in the goddamn face with the only weapon that can harm him and he was still only able to be subdued in a different dimension by the magic power of 7 sages).

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I love how Ganon is currently but I also think he could be represented better. The only thing is they can't really represent him correctly or he would break the game. He would be invincible since the only thing that can harm him is light and the Master Sword (seriously, dude got stabbed in the goddamn face with the only weapon that can harm him and he was still only able to be subdued in a different dimension by the magic power of 7 sages).
Let's not be simpleminded. I'd like more representation that is true to form but that doesn't mean the Master Sword/Light is the only way to beat Ganondorf has to be a thing.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I agree; it was meant to be a bit of a joke. I was intending to play on the ongoing joke that Ganon is bad in Smash games because to use his true power would be unfair to the other characters and would most likely melt the game and our faces.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I wish they would have made that sword custom a default move and warlock punch a custom. I just want his moveset to be less captain falcon, more zelda.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I don't see why they can't make changes. I mean they made changes to make Link's moveset more lore-friendly and he's not even a clone (specifically referring to the jumping dash attack and the backflipping back roll).

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I don't see why they can't make changes. I mean they made changes to make Link's moveset more lore-friendly and he's not even a clone (specifically referring to the jumping dash attack and the backflipping back roll).
Sakurai and co probably don't want to alienate all the people who grew used to the moveset they suckered people to live with and accept.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Yeah. Also appears they would rather spend time on new mechanics for new characters than new mechanics for old characters. Generally speaking (read as: considering the casual player culture) there's going to be much more hype and marketability surrounding new characters than revamped movesets of previous characters.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah. Also appears they would rather spend time on new mechanics for new characters than new mechanics for old characters. Generally speaking (read as: considering the casual player culture) there's going to be much more hype and marketability surrounding new characters than revamped movesets of previous characters.
Although as a Bowser main and being pleased at the big changes they made with Bowser both mechanically and aesthetically I have to ask if they went the extra mile for Bowser then why not for Ganondorf?

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Good point. As someone who never mained Bowser it really only seemed to me like they changed his stature and a few of his moves got tweaked as a side-effect of that. If there is such a large difference then with that in mind I would ask the same question. Perhaps we will have our answer with Smash 5?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Good point. As someone who never mained Bowser it really only seemed to me like they changed his stature and a few of his moves got tweaked as a side-effect of that. If there is such a large difference then with that in mind I would ask the same question. Perhaps we will have our answer with Smash 5?
Sakurai considers Smash Wii U to be Smash 5 I'm afraid.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
And not only Bowser got a nice revamp. Pit got all new specials except his standard one. And he received animation changes on some moves as well. Charizard got new animations and a new side special. Zero suit got a pretty big revamp with a lot of her move changing drastically.

From Melee to Brawl Ganon revcived a few changes like a new Up smash, an attack after Up B, a new side b, and many other animation changes like Ftilt, down tilt, warlock punch etc.

From Brawl to smash4 Ganon got;
A new animation after the Up B grab, a tweaked WP animation and darkness effect on all his smash attacks... That's it!?!?!?!

While Zamus, Pit, Bowser get huge game changing revamps and others get new moves like Charizard side B, Link running A, DK running A etc. and even new characters like Palutena get completely unique 12 special moves. And Ganon can't even get his famous DMV projectile...

Ganon just got diddly squat! And out of any smash character he deserves it the most. I also really dont think Sakurai and Co. Don't want to "alienate" anyone. Cause 1.) most people want a revamped Ganon. And would of caused even more hype and could've been like an almost new character (depending on how far they revamp him) And 2.) if they cared about stuff like that they wouldn't change any body at all.

It's just pure laziness from Sakurai he proabably went; "Let's just throw some darkness effect on those smash attacks... That's unique enough right?"

Just realize that since Melee he still shares animations with Falcon. 2 smashes, down B, 3 aerials, spot dodge, air dodge, rolls, some get up attacks, Uptilt (except for him holding it). Even if they wanted to keep him the same and not think of the majority of fans that want him changes or what's best for the character, there is simply NO excuse as to why every animation of his are STILL not completly unique to him after all this time.

It all comes down to 2 words: laziness (on Ganon) and favoritism (of other characters).

EDIT: (Actually his Melee down B was more unique than his current one lol)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Sakurai and co probably don't want to alienate all the people who grew used to the moveset they suckered people to live with and accept.
Warlock Punch ended up being a part of Hyrule Warriors so... yeah.

I'm all for Ganondorf being more unique, but some things already are "Ganondorf". Twilight Princess introduced the Sparta kick which SSBB used and SSB4 made it more similar to Twilight Princess since it's a powerful and fairly fast kick that TP Ganondorf used to break Link's guard and SSB Ganondorf uses to boot the living hell out of people. Melee sort of used the fist-slam move from Ocarina of Time as his Fair and Brawl sort of used it as the air version of Flame Choke.

If Ganondorf became more unique or used a sword, I think those aforementioned moves should stay along with his Dtilt and perhaps Nair - Link uncharacteristically kicks too - and Uair - not much to do with a sword aside from Ike's helicopter, Link's stab, and Marth's flipcut. Flame Choke seems like a Ganondorf thing to do and it's already unique despite being a Luigified Raptor Boost. Dark Dive should be something else, but I don't want it to be replaced with a generic rising uppercut like Marth's, Lucina's, Shulk's, and Roy's. Dark Fists would be a cool nod to Akuma since y'know, they are both powerful fighters who's attacks are wreathed in dark flames. Heck, they both even have red hair... Hmm, this makes me wonder if Sakurai chose Captain Falcon's template to quickly add in Ganondorf because of Akuma.

Wizard's Foot, Volcano Kick, Warlock Punch, and his Down Smash are iffy. Side Smash can stay, but it could be changed somehow. With a sword, an overhead slam or powerful swipe would work. I wished that Volcano Kick was his Up Smash and his Up Smash was his U-tilt. It would make so much sense since I find myself doing Volcano Kick when I wanted to do his Up Smash. Volcano Kick's "charging" just makes me think, "Oh, it's a Special or a Smash", and then I U-tilt thinking it's a his Up Smash, whoops. Down Smash could be a fist-slam and a powerful AOE attack instead of Captain Falcon's sweep, but better and slower. Warlock Punch to many, should have been Dead Man's Volley and seeing Ganondorf's lack of projectiles and range, it would be the first suggestion. It could stay or change to Warlock Sword as more of a iaido slash instead. Wizard's Foot, Ganondorf's recovery as Wizard's Dropkick. If it stayed, I'd rather have Wizard's Dropkick replace Wizard's Foot which is basically Falcon Kick except slower and its ability to spike.

I would like Ganondorf to stay as a hand-to-hand and magic orientated fighter while Toon Ganon becomes a newcomer for the swordplay, but here's the issue: Zelda Wii U. We don't know if Ganondorf's back and we don't know what he'll look like or fight like. For all we know, that Ganondorf could use a flail, a battleaxe, or a scepter. The next SSB would/should reflect that Ganondorf; SSB4 didn't since Ganondorf's latest (canon) appearance was Twilight Princess and Demise is a walking spoiler - seriously, people still complain about Titanic's ending when it's based on history, but dramatized so, we could see Leonardo DiCaprio draw Kate Winslet like his French girls. Who knows, maybe that Ganondorf is extremely fast or maybe he's still the lumbering powerhouse or maybe he's a master illusionist.

I can totally see Link become more archer-like in the next SSB, but it might never happen. So, he might gain that vault and shoot move, the energy arrows, his ponytail, and whatever sword moves he uses in Zelda Wii U. Zelda could end up being a warrior princess who uses a crossbow, tomahawk, or daggers. Or worst case and most likely scenario: the next SSB will still use Twilight Princess Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Sheik's Twilight Princess design.

Alienating is one thing; evolving is another. Link's slowly "evolving" to reflect his series and Ganondorf reflects Skyward Sword's Demise and his Twilight Princess appearance as extremely powerful, but slow. Sheik stay the same as her ninja-self. As for Zelda... Yeah...

The King of Fighters had Kyo's move set change as the story progress. NESTS Kyo is much more different than the original Kyo. Somehow, though, KOFXIII (and probably XII) made Kyo revert back to his original set while in XII, Iori lost his flames and used a claw-based move set. Talk about cool and savage. Does it alienate? Yeah, for people who were used to Iori and now find themselves with some "new" character, but maybe not for Kyo players since it's still Kyo, but classic move set Kyo. Iori does get his flames back at the end of XIII so, it's more of a change of pace and story-gameplay integration.

Now, since Zelda games can change so much from game to game, there is a template for each character. Sakurai probably wants to keep that familiarity of Link being this gadget guy with powerful sword attacks, Zelda's magic based, Ganondorf's powerful, and Sheik's fast and sneaky, but what if the game changes too much? Skyward Sword had Link who could willingly make sword beams and slash energy waves. So, do we incorporate Skyward Sword Link's Skyward Strikes? Zelda Wii U has Link being more archer-like so, do we make him more archer-like? Fair could end up as his energy arrow instead of his double slash.

It'd be nice to have changes and characters who don't stay the same in each game, but there are people who don't like that. Just look at Falco, people don't play as him since he isn't Melee or Brawl Falco and write him off as nerfed. SSB4 Falco is the least clone-like and much more different even if he's a fusion of himself and Wolf. Others are welcoming; look at Pit/Dark Pit who has a much more different set than in Brawl.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist

I'm all for Ganondorf being more unique, but some things already are "Ganondorf". Twilight Princess introduced the Sparta kick which SSBB used and SSB4 made it more similar to Twilight Princess since it's a powerful and fairly fast kick that TP Ganondorf used to break Link's guard and SSB Ganondorf uses to boot the living hell out of people. Melee sort of used the fist-slam move from Ocarina of Time as his Fair and Brawl sort of used it as the air version of Flame Choke.

If Ganondorf became more unique or used a sword, I think those aforementioned moves should stay along with his Dtilt and perhaps Nair - Link uncharacteristically kicks too - and Uair - not much to do with a sword aside from Ike's helicopter, Link's stab, and Marth's flipcut. Flame Choke seems like a Ganondorf thing to do and it's already unique despite being a Luigified Raptor Boost. Dark Dive should be something else, but I don't want it to be replaced with a generic rising uppercut like Marth's, Lucina's, Shulk's, and Roy's. Dark Fists would be a cool nod to Akuma since y'know, they are both powerful fighters who's attacks are wreathed in dark flames. Heck, they both even have red hair... Hmm, this makes me wonder if Sakurai chose Captain Falcon's template to quickly add in Ganondorf because of Akuma.

Wizard's Foot, Volcano Kick, Warlock Punch, and his Down Smash are iffy. Side Smash can stay, but it could be changed somehow. With a sword, an overhead slam or powerful swipe would work. I wished that Volcano Kick was his Up Smash and his Up Smash was his U-tilt. It would make so much sense since I find myself doing Volcano Kick when I wanted to do his Up Smash. Volcano Kick's "charging" just makes me think, "Oh, it's a Special or a Smash", and then I U-tilt thinking it's a his Up Smash, whoops. Down Smash could be a fist-slam and a powerful AOE attack instead of Captain Falcon's sweep, but better and slower. Warlock Punch to many, should have been Dead Man's Volley and seeing Ganondorf's lack of projectiles and range, it would be the first suggestion. It could stay or change to Warlock Sword as more of a iaido slash instead. Wizard's Foot, Ganondorf's recovery as Wizard's Dropkick. If it stayed, I'd rather have Wizard's Dropkick replace Wizard's Foot which is basically Falcon Kick except slower and its ability to spike.

I would like Ganondorf to stay as a hand-to-hand and magic orientated fighter while Toon Ganon becomes a newcomer for the swordplay, but here's the issue: Zelda Wii U. We don't know if Ganondorf's back and we don't know what he'll look like or fight like. For all we know, that Ganondorf could use a flail, a battleaxe, or a scepter. The next SSB would/should reflect that Ganondorf; SSB4 didn't since Ganondorf's latest (canon) appearance was Twilight Princess and Demise is a walking spoiler - seriously, people still complain about Titanic's ending when it's based on history, but dramatized so, we could see Leonardo DiCaprio draw Kate Winslet like his French girls. Who knows, maybe that Ganondorf is extremely fast or maybe he's still the lumbering powerhouse or maybe he's a master illusionist.

I can totally see Link become more archer-like in the next SSB, but it might never happen. So, he might gain that vault and shoot move, the energy arrows, his ponytail, and whatever sword moves he uses in Zelda Wii U. Zelda could end up being a warrior princess who uses a crossbow, tomahawk, or daggers. Or worst case and most likely scenario: the next SSB will still use Twilight Princess Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Sheik's Twilight Princess design.

Alienating is one thing; evolving is another. Link's slowly "evolving" to reflect his series and Ganondorf reflects Skyward Sword's Demise and his Twilight Princess appearance as extremely powerful, but slow. Sheik stay the same as her ninja-self. As for Zelda... Yeah...

The King of Fighters had Kyo's move set change as the story progress. NESTS Kyo is much more different than the original Kyo. Somehow, though, KOFXIII (and probably XII) made Kyo revert back to his original set while in XII, Iori lost his flames and used a claw-based move set. Talk about cool and savage. Does it alienate? Yeah, for people who were used to Iori and now find themselves with some "new" character, but maybe not for Kyo players since it's still Kyo, but classic move set Kyo. Iori does get his flames back at the end of XIII so, it's more of a change of pace and story-gameplay integration.

Now, since Zelda games can change so much from game to game, there is a template for each character. Sakurai probably wants to keep that familiarity of Link being this gadget guy with powerful sword attacks, Zelda's magic based, Ganondorf's powerful, and Sheik's fast and sneaky, but what if the game changes too much? Skyward Sword had Link who could willingly make sword beams and slash energy waves. So, do we incorporate Skyward Sword Link's Skyward Strikes? Zelda Wii U has Link being more archer-like so, do we make him more archer-like? Fair could end up as his energy arrow instead of his double slash.

It'd be nice to have changes and characters who don't stay the same in each game, but there are people who don't like that. Just look at Falco, people don't play as him since he isn't Melee or Brawl Falco and write him off as nerfed. SSB4 Falco is the least clone-like and much more different even if he's a fusion of himself and Wolf. Others are welcoming; look at Pit/Dark Pit who has a much more different set than in Brawl.
I like some of your ideas. But by Hyrule warriors having warlock punch do you mean the YYYYYX attack where he charges a huge magic ball above his head slams it to the ground then punches it and it explodes into many other projectiles. Than if that was based on WP than why the projectiles... I wish SSB4 Warlock punch was like that!

Also Up tilt being Up smash is a good Idea but I would have the Uptilt be his down smash if anything, it works quite well like that in this mod - @0:37

I almost anyone can agree that Ganon needs more attention and more love in SBB be it with new animations, moves whatever just more love from the developers.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I like some of your ideas. But by Hyrule warriors having warlock punch do you mean the YYYYYX attack where he charges a huge magic ball above his head slams it to the ground then punches it and it explodes into many other projectiles. Than if that was based on WP than why the projectiles... I wish SSB4 Warlock punch was like that!

Also Up tilt being Up smash is a good Idea but I would have the Uptilt be his down smash if anything, it works quite well like that in this mod - @0:37

I almost anyone can agree that Ganon needs more attention and more love in SBB be it with new animations, moves whatever just more love from the developers.
I'm starting to get the feeling that Sakurai didn't change them much because of Zelda Wii U (or maybe even Hyrule Warriors). If he established something amazing with Ganondorf and the next SSB, whether he's involved or not, uses Zelda Wii U's Ganondorf who, let's assume, is a different beast, then people would complain a lot despite that both Ganondorfs stay true to lore.

You can never please everyone.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice

If Ganondorf became more unique or used a sword, I think those aforementioned moves should stay along with his Dtilt and perhaps Nair - Link uncharacteristically kicks too - and Uair - not much to do with a sword aside from Ike's helicopter, Link's stab, and Marth's flipcut. Flame

Choke seems like a Ganondorf thing to do and it's already unique despite being a Luigified Raptor Boost. Dark Dive should be something else, but I don't want it to be replaced with a generic rising uppercut like Marth's, Lucina's, Shulk's, and Roy's. Dark Fists would be a cool nod to Akuma since y'know, they are both powerful fighters who's attacks are wreathed in dark flames. Heck, they both even have red hair... Hmm, this makes me wonder if Sakurai chose Captain Falcon's template to quickly add in Ganondorf because of Akuma.

OK, there are multiple things wrong here. First of all, since when is Ganondorf slow? In every incarnation he's been extremely agile. The only thing that hints at him being slow is the fact that he's walks nonchalantly when battling Link. However, as soon as you attack, he goes ape**** and starts jumping around really quickly. Even in Windwaker, when Ganondorf is an old man, he's still incredibly agile and precise. Sure, he may walk slowly towards you, but it's not like he's some lumbering, brutish, old due gasping for breath as he moves. No, he moves like a spider monke,y jumpig around and dodging. Same with Twilight Princess. Ganondorf may walk slowly and confidently, but when he's engaged he's moves like a 22 year old. He's also very precise in his swordplay. He's not swinging like some brutish troll trying to crush link. In Twilight princess and windwaker he's very meticulous. He's not trying to just bash your face in like he is in SMash Bros. Ganondorf's style is in no way the brute force that we see in Smash.

Also, why do you think he's reflective of demise when 1. His moveset was created before Skyward Sword's development even started. and 2. He's not demise. Demise isn't just the "father" of Ganodorf, he's the father of all Zelda villains. Since Demise doesn't really fight the same way Ganondorf does, you can't justify Ganondorf's moveset by saying it's similar to demise. That's like adding Vaati to Smash Bros. and making him slow and weary with heavy hits. You can't justify Vaati being made oddly simply because he's an incarnation of Demise's hatred. And if you think that Vaati isn't an incarnation of Demise, the Smash Bros. website says that Link battles Ganondorf, as well as "other incarnations of Demise".

FInally, the Sparta kick doesn't mean ****. That doesn't make his moveset justified at all because he had one minor move in Twilight Princess. That's like making Mario a falcon clone because he punches in Super Mario 64. Or Yoshi a physical fighter just cause he punched in 64 DS.

Overall, this is just laziness. It's not because of alienating players, because Luigi would have Pit, Zero Suit, and Bowser wouldn't have been changed. It's not because of Ganondorf being Sakurai's dad, (even though that's probably just fanfiction), because he could have been given unique custom moves just like Palutena. It's jus laziness. It's like when you run out of time to do your homework one night and decide to turn it in a day late, but the next day, you feel that it'd be too much work to do and put it off another day, then you just stop giving a ****. It's laziness, and that's all there is too it. A 10 year could come up with a better moveset for Ganondorf than the director of Super Smash Bros.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice

I think we should take this video and just spam Sakurai's inbox with it.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
OK, there are multiple things wrong here. First of all, since when is Ganondorf slow? In every incarnation he's been extremely agile. The only thing that hints at him being slow is the fact that he's walks nonchalantly when battling Link. However, as soon as you attack, he goes ape**** and starts jumping around really quickly. Even in Windwaker, when Ganondorf is an old man, he's still incredibly agile and precise. Sure, he may walk slowly towards you, but it's not like he's some lumbering, brutish, old due gasping for breath as he moves. No, he moves like a spider monke,y jumpig around and dodging. Same with Twilight Princess. Ganondorf may walk slowly and confidently, but when he's engaged he's moves like a 22 year old. He's also very precise in his swordplay. He's not swinging like some brutish troll trying to crush link. In Twilight princess and windwaker he's very meticulous. He's not trying to just bash your face in like he is in SMash Bros. Ganondorf's style is in no way the brute force that we see in Smash.

Also, why do you think he's reflective of demise when 1. His moveset was created before Skyward Sword's development even started. and 2. He's not demise. Demise isn't just the "father" of Ganodorf, he's the father of all Zelda villains. Since Demise doesn't really fight the same way Ganondorf does, you can't justify Ganondorf's moveset by saying it's similar to demise. That's like adding Vaati to Smash Bros. and making him slow and weary with heavy hits. You can't justify Vaati being made oddly simply because he's an incarnation of Demise's hatred. And if you think that Vaati isn't an incarnation of Demise, the Smash Bros. website says that Link battles Ganondorf, as well as "other incarnations of Demise".

FInally, the Sparta kick doesn't mean ****. That doesn't make his moveset justified at all because he had one minor move in Twilight Princess. That's like making Mario a falcon clone because he punches in Super Mario 64. Or Yoshi a physical fighter just cause he punched in 64 DS.

Overall, this is just laziness. It's not because of alienating players, because Luigi would have Pit, Zero Suit, and Bowser wouldn't have been changed. It's not because of Ganondorf being Sakurai's dad, (even though that's probably just fanfiction), because he could have been given unique custom moves just like Palutena. It's jus laziness. It's like when you run out of time to do your homework one night and decide to turn it in a day late, but the next day, you feel that it'd be too much work to do and put it off another day, then you just stop giving a ****. It's laziness, and that's all there is too it. A 10 year could come up with a better moveset for Ganondorf than the director of Super Smash Bros.
Way to be hostile.

First off, Ike's slow in SSB, but incredibly fast in Fire Emblem. Sonic's even faster when he boosts, but that would either make him too difficult to use or way too broken if he moved that fast in SSB. I believe Mario, Luigi, and Wario can run even faster than in SSB. It's just balancing. If Ganondorf was as fast as he was in Twilight Princess, then he'd be broken considering he'd be incredibly strong and incredibly fast. Link moves slower in SSB than in his games, especially considering he can sprint in Skyward Sword and probably in Zelda Wii U along with previous games having Pegasus Boots.

Next, did I ever mention he wasn't precise with his attacks? No. Ike's and Link's swordplay are unorthodox, but incredibly strong and precise. Same thing with Ganondorf. They're not like Marth, Roy, or Lucina with refined and graceful techniques, instead, they have refined, simple, and brutal techniques. Link's slashes tend to cover a ton of range in SSB and his games. Ike's are powerful and simple. Ganondorf's swordsmanship is fast, simple, and strong. Never did I mention anything about Ganondorf throwing haymakers and swing his sword like a moron.

Also, I never mentioned that Ganondorf should reflect Demise. All I said was that there was a theme and having them fit a theme is consistent. Skyward Sword didn't feature Demise who, although, important, isn't as popular or well-known as Ganondorf. So, why add Demise or make Ganondorf Demise when Twilight Princess-based Zelda characters would work? Now, if Ganondorf appears in Zelda Wii U - he probably will -, then Ganondorf should look his Zelda Wii U appearance since it's the new game. Many characters in SSB get updated to their latest appearance. Ike's in his Radiant Dawn form, Marth's in his Shadow Dragon sequel outfit, and Pit's in his Uprising form. Nothing's wrong with updating them to look like their current looks.

The Sparta kick is just a way to translate something from Twilight Princess to SSB and to make Ganondorf less like Captain Falcon. What would you rather have of these 2 options: a quick roundhouse or a front kick that smashes guards? I'd take the front kick that Ganondorf used to break Link's guard and it demonstrates that he's a powerful character and not a fast, beat-em-up fighter like the Capt.

I never justified his move set. I only mentioned moves that were used by him in Zelda games. Also, they fit him. If Ganondorf still didn't use a sword, but fought with magic and hand-to-hand, was a completely different character, and still used Flame Choke and the Sparta kick, would it matter? It's a Ganondorf thing to be strong and effective in his attacks. Those moves reflect his strength.

Laziness, I would agree for Brawl and SSB4, but not for Melee. Ganondorf was supposed to use his sword, but Sakurai ran out of time and maybe budget. So, that's more like time mismanagement or outright failure than laziness. Laziness is knowing that there's an opportunity to reflect a character's true style and not while using "alienation" as an excuse.\

Edit: Saw where the "reflecting" Demise thing. Demise is powerful; Ganondorf is powerful. That's what I meant by reflecting. Their power.

I'm not saying that Ganondorf should be replaced by Demise, but that SSB reflects Ganondorf's, Ganon's, and Demise's power. All the current Ganondorfs of SSB reflect that theme of power.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Melee is understandable. But Dorf has been pseudo clone for 2 game cycles. There really isn't any excuse for it. If Bowser can get reworked so can Ganondorf. It really is that simple.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I think we should take this video and just spam Sakurai's inbox with it.
If only it was so simple... knowing Sakurai being a bit senstive to critisism he would proabaly not like that. But maybe it would inspire him to do it. Maybe Hyrule Warriors Ganon also inspired him... we have a while to wait to find out though...

But I really gave up hope on Sakurai when it comes to Ganondorf. I hope for a new director that takes characters cannon into account and isn't so biased and tries to add fan favorite characters from popular Nintendo series, and a director that wont go out of his way to make the game less technical/competitive.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
If only it was so simple... knowing Sakurai being a bit senstive to critisism he would proabaly not like that. But maybe it would inspire him to do it. Maybe Hyrule Warriors Ganon also inspired him... we have a while to wait to find out though...

But I really gave up hope on Sakurai when it comes to Ganondorf. I hope for a new director that takes characters cannon into account and isn't so biased and tries to add fan favorite characters from popular Nintendo series, and a director that wont go out of his way to make the game less technical/competitive.
He won't respond to his twitter anyway so I say screw em. Make your voice heard. Even if he doesn't like it. No such thing as a wrong opinion.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
Way to be hostile.

First off, Ike's slow in SSB, but incredibly fast in Fire Emblem. Sonic's even faster when he boosts, but that would either make him too difficult to use or way too broken if he moved that fast in SSB. I believe Mario, Luigi, and Wario can run even faster than in SSB. It's just balancing. If Ganondorf was as fast as he was in Twilight Princess, then he'd be broken considering he'd be incredibly strong and incredibly fast. Link moves slower in SSB than in his games, especially considering he can sprint in Skyward Sword and probably in Zelda Wii U along with previous games having Pegasus Boots.

Next, did I ever mention he wasn't precise with his attacks? No. Ike's and Link's swordplay are unorthodox, but incredibly strong and precise. Same thing with Ganondorf. They're not like Marth, Roy, or Lucina with refined and graceful techniques, instead, they have refined, simple, and brutal techniques. Link's slashes tend to cover a ton of range in SSB and his games. Ike's are powerful and simple. Ganondorf's swordsmanship is fast, simple, and strong. Never did I mention anything about Ganondorf throwing haymakers and swing his sword like a moron.

Also, I never mentioned that Ganondorf should reflect Demise. All I said was that there was a theme and having them fit a theme is consistent. Skyward Sword didn't feature Demise who, although, important, isn't as popular or well-known as Ganondorf. So, why add Demise or make Ganondorf Demise when Twilight Princess-based Zelda characters would work? Now, if Ganondorf appears in Zelda Wii U - he probably will -, then Ganondorf should look his Zelda Wii U appearance since it's the new game. Many characters in SSB get updated to their latest appearance. Ike's in his Radiant Dawn form, Marth's in his Shadow Dragon sequel outfit, and Pit's in his Uprising form. Nothing's wrong with updating them to look like their current looks.

The Sparta kick is just a way to translate something from Twilight Princess to SSB and to make Ganondorf less like Captain Falcon. What would you rather have of these 2 options: a quick roundhouse or a front kick that smashes guards? I'd take the front kick that Ganondorf used to break Link's guard and it demonstrates that he's a powerful character and not a fast, beat-em-up fighter like the Capt.

I never justified his move set. I only mentioned moves that were used by him in Zelda games. Also, they fit him. If Ganondorf still didn't use a sword, but fought with magic and hand-to-hand, was a completely different character, and still used Flame Choke and the Sparta kick, would it matter? It's a Ganondorf thing to be strong and effective in his attacks. Those moves reflect his strength.

Laziness, I would agree for Brawl and SSB4, but not for Melee. Ganondorf was supposed to use his sword, but Sakurai ran out of time and maybe budget. So, that's more like time mismanagement or outright failure than laziness. Laziness is knowing that there's an opportunity to reflect a character's true style and not while using "alienation" as an excuse.\

Edit: Saw where the "reflecting" Demise thing. Demise is powerful; Ganondorf is powerful. That's what I meant by reflecting. Their power.

I'm not saying that Ganondorf should be replaced by Demise, but that SSB reflects Ganondorf's, Ganon's, and Demise's power. All the current Ganondorfs of SSB reflect that theme of power.
I agree with you on a lot of stuff here, but how was I hostile? I used a few swears, jeez.

Anyway, I mentioned the part about being slow for balancing issues. In the actual Zelda games, Ganondorf just moves slowly and nonchalantly towards his foes. He's to wheezing and croaking while he moves towards link, he's just confident and displays this by moving slowly. Sakurai has said outright that Ganondorf moves like an old man who "gasps as he moves". This is also reflected in his running animation, where he looks like he's having a stroke or something. This is a creative liberty by Sakurai to make a misrepresented character even MORE misrepresented. Characters like Bowser, Ike, and Palutena move slowly, but still have agility and capability reflected in their animations and movesets. It's not like Ike is gasping and wheezing as he runs in the same way Ganondorf does. Ganondorf was deliberately made less like he is in the games, and I have no idea why. Seriously, couldn't the work put into making his animations look like he's some businessman running a 5k have been used for like 1 other move? It's kind of weird, and I have no idea why Sakurai made this decision. It's like changing Gandalf from the capable and skilled fighter in the Lord of the Rings series to some gasping old man.

Anyway, I agree that Melee's Ganondorf cloning was not a result of laziness. The other two, however, were just a result of phoning it in. Especially in Smash 4.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well as I've said many times they literally sat on Ganondorf for 2 development cycles. Sakurai seems to want him to be a heavy hitting joke character on the roster.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I agree with you on a lot of stuff here, but how was I hostile? I used a few swears, jeez.

Anyway, I mentioned the part about being slow for balancing issues. In the actual Zelda games, Ganondorf just moves slowly and nonchalantly towards his foes. He's to wheezing and croaking while he moves towards link, he's just confident and displays this by moving slowly. Sakurai has said outright that Ganondorf moves like an old man who "gasps as he moves". This is also reflected in his running animation, where he looks like he's having a stroke or something. This is a creative liberty by Sakurai to make a misrepresented character even MORE misrepresented. Characters like Bowser, Ike, and Palutena move slowly, but still have agility and capability reflected in their animations and movesets. It's not like Ike is gasping and wheezing as he runs in the same way Ganondorf does. Ganondorf was deliberately made less like he is in the games, and I have no idea why. Seriously, couldn't the work put into making his animations look like he's some businessman running a 5k have been used for like 1 other move? It's kind of weird, and I have no idea why Sakurai made this decision. It's like changing Gandalf from the capable and skilled fighter in the Lord of the Rings series to some gasping old man.

Anyway, I agree that Melee's Ganondorf cloning was not a result of laziness. The other two, however, were just a result of phoning it in. Especially in Smash 4.
Well, beginning with "there are multiple things wrong here" and that "the Sparta kick doesn't mean ****" are aggressive in tone. Also, I never justified why Ganondorf is the way he is, instead I was pointing out how Ganondorf slowly is gaining moves from Zelda and has moves that are characteristic to him like Flame Choke.

Ganondorf's dashing animation was just weird since it was the Capt.'s but slower. In Brawl and SSB4, it's more like a regular person jogging compared to everyone else, especially Mega Man's and Fox's ninja run, Shiek's "I have idea what she's doing", and Marth's "lean in and die". Seriously, if I saw someone like Marth run up to me like that I would either boot his head or grab something pointy and let him run into it.

Ganondorf's jog doesn't translate well. If he ran faster, but with this form or a form closer to running than jogging. I think it'd be okay, but he moves slow and it just seem out of place. Hyrule Warriors had him do sort of a mad, berserker, blood-rush, "you gon' die" sprint.

I think Sakurai wanted Ganondorf to reflect the mighty glacier archetype of a slow moving, but incredibly powerful character. If his dash speed was slow, but sinister, I don't think it would have been that bad like if it was just a faster version of his run animation - there's like walk, run, and dash, right?

I think Sakurai prioritized Bowser because one, he's completely misrepresented since Melee and still is to this day - his voice is still from Mario Kart 64. So, Bowser looks more kid-friendly like in his actual games instead of whatever Godzilla reject. At least Ganondorf looks like Ganondorf and has moves that are what Ganondorf would do rather than the violent, "I'mma keel" you thing Bowser had for 2 games.

Ganondorf began in concept as something I would say might have caused Ike to become a semi-clone, but things happened and he became a Captain Falcon clone, then became a failed representation of a mighty glacier, and is now a fixed mighty glacier.

Link is more like Link with his backflips and Jump Attack. That's Link. Sheik definitely fits the sneaky ninja theme, but Ganondorf and Zelda are just hanging there. Sure, Ganondorf's powerful, but he's lacking Dead Man's Volley, still is based on the Capt., and for some, lacking his sword. As for Zelda, sure, she's a mage, but really? She never used Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love. The only move that she actually uses is Light Arrow while the others had to be made up.

Hear me out on this one: Sakurai technically isn't a first-party developer, but he works for Nintendo like how Insomniac Games don't belong to Sony, but work on Ratchet & Clank a first-party game Insomniac began. He knows what's going on like how he knew about Greninja and picked him for SSB4. In theory, he probably knows about future plans and knows about Zelda Wii U's early concept. Now, let's assume Ganondorf and Zelda are in Zelda Wii U. Knowing that, what if Ganondorf and Zelda are much more different and much more bad*** in Zelda Wii U?

Nintendo would be against having any evidence of them in SSB4, but had SSB4 been released after Zelda Wii U, then I wouldn't doubt that Ganondorf and Zelda would be based on that along with Link. So, Sakurai would be in a dilemma: fix Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda from Brawl or make them more like the current lore, Twilight Princess, and have most if not all of that effort never come back again.

Let's say Zelda Wii U is the last, big Zelda game on Wii U before another console comes out or before like 5 years later when another Zelda game comes out. Link would be more like an archer so, SSB5 would probably make Link an even better ranger. Lets say Zelda uses a staff and for no reason at all, only water magic in Zelda Wii U. Great, all that work giving her a rapier and making her specials all based on light magic is never coming back until way, way later. As for Ganondorf, let's say he's like a technological revolutionary who uses a magical - gotta stay kid-friendly here - hand cannon and saber. Great! All that work giving him a massive sword and now Ganondorf's a freaking pirate or musketeer.

So, Sakurai could have done something, but let's say doing so makes the game delayed or consumes time for two other characters meaning two less on the roster. Oh, but quality over quantity. Let's say those two are Ike and Shulk. Knowing people, they would be ****ed. Oh, and let's not mention the asinine issue where for whatever stupid reason, despite Nintendo knowing that SSB is a beloved franchise, Sakurai always, ALWAYS has to start from scratch because there aren't any data centers housing past game data. REALLY, NINTENDO?! I can understand deleting SSB64 or really old games, but Brawl which is still somewhat recent and where Sakurai could have easily referenced if there was a data center and maybe just copied and pasted animations, stages, etc. and update them?

I'm not a developer, but having the ability to reference like that would have been tremendously helpful. Nope, gotta let Sakurai waste himself re-creating characters, stages, and such and anger fans because character were caught since they would take to long to recreate. SHOULD I mention that there are "perfect" characters? Characters who's move set and play style just click like I don't know... Marth, Fox, Ike, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Captain Falcon, Triple D, Meta Knight - it'd just be unbreaking him -, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, and more. Maybe it's misquoted or misunderstood, but still.

The other thing is work ethic. Japan's work ethic is simply put, bad. Sick? Work harder. Stressed out? Work harder. Funeral? Work harder. Onset of insanity? Work harder. Look up hikikomori. They're NEETs who live in their homes and don't do stuff because Japan's societal pressure is extreme.

Sure, this means that Japan's games tend to be less glitchy and more polished, but that also means the death of them and if you haven't noticed, but stress does things to you like makes you irritable which might explain why Hideki Kamiya will snap at people or why Sakurai's health is deteriorating and why he might never return for SSB. It also explains why tons of people leave Capcom to form their own development studios that are a mix of western and eastern work ethic.

For me, since Zelda is ever changing compared to Mario, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, and even Metroid - it's mostly weapons and suit designs -, that's one issue which I will suspect Zelda Wii U will involve major or noticeable changes to the trio. Two, data which might be misquoted or Sakurai's work code of starting from scratch which isn't bad, but it's incredibly taxing because three, work ethic. Add time mismanagement, budgets, and conflicts and we know why Ganondorf is the way he is.

Next time SSB is developed, they better have more than just Sakurai if he even comes back, Sora Ltd. and some other company. It'd be better if they just had Sakurai, Sora Ltd., 5-10 members of each franchise's development team even if they're just concept designers, writers, etc., the third-party devs like Sega, Namco, and hell, why not have Nintendo work it out? You'd have the main team, people who know the franchises and can offer advice on representation, and the workforce.

It's just really weird for a massive game like this to only have such a small team. I know there are small teams that make giant games, but fighting games tend to be another beast.

Hoffburger

Smash Rookie
Right. We need Beast Ganon as a character instead. Or just Fabudorf.
Beast ganon would actually be pretty cool.

There is enough of a difference between falcon and ganondorf already. Hell the command grab alone makes it completely different. There are plenty of other fighting games that have similar characters that are still very different (Ryu, Ken, all the other Shotos, etc.)

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well I'm thinking we have 2 Link's. 2 Zelda's. Obviously we need a second Ganon. Pig/Beast Ganon would really fit the bill and make a lot of people happy.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well I'm thinking we have 2 Link's. 2 Zelda's. Obviously we need a second Ganon. Pig/Beast Ganon would really fit the bill and make a lot of people happy.
Wind Waker Ganon or Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf or bust.

:p

Last edited:
Top Bottom