• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The keys to futhering Ikes game.

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Hello fellow Ikeians, Im Devil, 1st time caller and long time listner. Recently Ive gotten back into Smash and my blue haired badass Ike, practicing in hopes to enter (and win tournaments), unfortunately I only have Wifi to practice with...anyway

tl;dr

Tonight I was thinking alot on Ike and his game, and the people who play Ike, and I thought of alot of questions that Id like to get multiple perspectives on to not only improve Ike, but myself (and maybe some of you) and our smash minds.

1. On a scale of 1/10, how technical (including mind games and AT's) is Ike as a character.

2. Does Ike in your opinion play better offensively (In there face non stop blitz) or defensively (precise spacing and picking ur moments)

3a. Do you feel Ike has a horrible (Link) recovery or an average/above average recovery?
3b. Is it very gimpable/exploitable or very hard to gimp?

4. In your opinion, what are Ike's most useful setups/strings/"combos"?

5. Do you feel like its easy to GET Ko'd or not?

6. Do you tend to attack, roll/spot dodge, shield or air dodge most of the time?

7. In your opinion is from best to worst, what are the best uses of QD? Recovery, Attack, Retreat or Aporoach?

8. What do you feel is Ike most versatile move?

9. Do you fight for your friends?

I hope to get lots of feed back from everyone here, in order to help each others games. Also I am aware alot of that is character dependent, so just on average (though feel free to talk about special cases).

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
1. On a scale of 1/10, how technical (including mind games and AT's) is Ike as a character.

I'd say 6.5/10

2. Does Ike in your opinion play better offensively (In there face non stop blitz) or defensively (precise spacing and picking ur moments)
Defensive. Ike can be punished for any false move.

3a. Do you feel Ike has a horrible (Link) recovery or an average/above average recovery?
Right B: This is great for far away recovery.
Ather: Its better as a anti camping attack. Not the best recovery move

3b. Is it very gimpable/exploitable or very hard to
??
AA grab d throw AA Nair rair

Its according to the match up.

6. Do you tend to attack, roll/spot dodge, shield or air dodge most of the time?
I like to run around alot, pissing off anyone i play

7. In your opinion is from best to worst, what are the best uses of QD? Recovery, Attack, Retreat or Aporoach?
Aporoach

R-tilt

9. Do you fight for your friends? Not so much no.

I hope to get lots of feed back from everyone here, in order to help each others games. Also I am aware alot of that is character dependent, so just on average (though feel free to talk about special cases).

Palpi

Smash Hero
4/10
Since other characters can easily force him to approach, he has to approach a lot, but almost all of his aerials get punished when shielded.
One shine can kill ike, his recovery is poor.
Against a projectile spammer, lucario, falco etc, it is really easy to gimp. Other characters can use tilts or aerials at the top of aether to hit you away.
Nair -> bair, nair to jab. Jab->grab, Jab jab -> dash grab. (Backthrow-> dash attack)
If you DI correctly, then no.

Probably shield. I spot dodge a lot with olimar. Or atleast more.
7. In your opinion is from best to worst, what are the best uses of QD? Recovery, Attack, Retreat or Aporoach? None

Nair or bair
Not anymore. But I did once :)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
3/10, Ike is just doin the right thing at the right time. However, it takes some skill to use a guy who is slow.

Defensive game

Not too horrid

"Piece of cake"

nair > jab x # > jab combo

Flat out die, I manage to survive a bit, gimped is too easy for some characters.

Shield

Retreat

Jab

My friends are yellow rodents with pouches of electricity

comboking

Smash Master
1. Not very technical at all. 5.5/10

2. Both, It depends on the opponent's char

3. Easily gimped if done right. Carefully recover with aether when your opponent is over 100%

4. Jab cancelling,or NAir to jab.

5. Not that easily considering Ike is heavy.

6.Attack

7.Retreat and Tech chasing

8.Jab

9. Yes, I do

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow Ikeians, Im Devil, 1st time caller and long time listner. Recently Ive gotten back into Smash and my blue haired badass Ike, practicing in hopes to enter (and win tournaments), unfortunately I only have Wifi to practice with...anyway

tl;dr

Tonight I was thinking alot on Ike and his game, and the people who play Ike, and I thought of alot of questions that Id like to get multiple perspectives on to not only improve Ike, but myself (and maybe some of you) and our smash minds.

I'd say defensively, Ike is too slow to play pure offense.

A. Not as horrible as link's, but it's pretty bad imo.
B. QD=Very gimpable Aethers= Gimpable if the person knows what they're doing.

His intense fair range, neutral air cancels, and jabs.
x] The closest thing you'll get to combos is the Nair, bair. Or Jab cancels into ftilts or bairs.

If the character has great aerial game, then yes, it's far too easy to get Ko'd.

I have a bad spot/air dodging habit. Although if I keep playing Melee, I think that habit will break rather quickly.

Retreat, approach, attack recovery

His jabs.

Of course!

Well hopes this helps, and good luck with your Ike research.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

4/10. Jab Cancels, Grab Releases, Bthrow -> Dash Attack, and DACIT. Thats all of the "advanced" stuff you need to learn. There are also basic things like spacing, but thats not technical really.

I'd say 25/75 ratio, offensively being 25. Most of the time, you have to play defensively. Spacing Fairs, Nairs and all of that. However, once you get a jab in, switch to offense. Jab cancels, grabs, throws, dash attacks, a quick burst of offensive moves. Then the moment they fall out of range, go back to defensive.

Bad. Not Link or tether back, but not much better.

It's fairly easy to gimp. The only "hard" part about gimping Ike is timing the edgehog correctly so you don't get hit by the spinning sword and spiked.

Nair -> Jab

Jab -> *insert various options here*

No, it's not easy to get KO'd. Gimped? Yes. Flat out KO'd? Nope.

Spot Dodge and Shield mainly.

They are all bad, but..... Recovery when it's perfectly safe to do so, retreat, attack, approach, recovery when unsafe to do so (95% of the time). In that order.

Jab, grab being in second.

Yes, but I don't have many friends. >_<

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY

5/10. Jab cancelling being the obvious one, Jab Jab to Bair, OOS attacks (Though not really technical), DACIT, walkoff Dair if you wish. That's basically it.

Ike is mainly 65% defensive, and 35% offensive. That 65 % defensive play is basically as everyone said, retreating Fairs, Nairs, Counter and whatnot. If you get a Nair in though, you should quickly switch to offensive style like NidtendoFreak said and start pummeling your opponent. Jab cancels, grabs, throws, dash attacks, aerials are all useful for this purpose. Just don't approach recklessly. A smart opponent will see you coming from a mile away and just easily punish you.

I'm going to have to say it's on the borderline between either Horrible and Average.

Main reason that Aether and QD aren't great recovery moves is because of how easy it is to gimp both of these recovery options and shut Ike's chance to get back to the edge out. Aether can also be easily edgehogged as well as QD. There are numerous ways to gimp Aether. Snake can even gimp Aether by taunting -_-.

Nair -> Jab cancels -> Grab

Jab cancel -> Bair

Not really. Ike's a heavy so it's pretty easy not to get KO'd. It's arguable, but Ike dies getting gimped more than he dies by attacks.

Ike's spot dodge is ridiculously good. I abuse this and if I'm facing the other direction from my opponent on the ground, I spot dodge my opponent's attack and quickly pivot jab and start pummeling him. That doesn't mean it should be used instead of shield. Shield is useful as well, because Ike can quickly jab out of shield as well as use powerful out of shield aerials. I mainly use Shield and Spot Dodge.

QD's great for getting around the stage. I especially love using QD on platform stages such as Battlefield. Full hop QD onto a platform is awesome. It gets your opponent confused and leaves them shocked. :). It also doesn't hurt to charge QD randomly. It's nice if you can time the exact moment when your opponent lifts his shield and tries to jump. It'll send your opponent flying if he's at a high percentage. Otherwise, if you hit his shield, if I'm not mistaken, you send him with his shield up some distance away so he can't punish you. For a far horizontal recovery, you should air dodge, jump then QD onto the stage. You survive really long by using this. Just make sure you don't wait too long to charge it otherwise you'll get gimped. Retreating QD's has some great uses as well. For example, if your opponent thinks you're going to approach him, you could reverse QD back to where you were and then just dash attack your opponent, who thought you were going to approach, but when you didn't, he let go of his shield.

Jabs, then Nair.

Uh.. Sure?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad

tl;dr

1.i got to say 5/10
Jab canceling,along with a few combination with ikes jabs
jab ,jab,bair, jab ,jab,grab, walk off bair/nair

2. Defensively, if you're too offensive with ike,you're going to have a hard time :(
Most of the times you're waiting for opponent to attack first,and space well with fair

3a/bI say his recovery is average. Unless you're facing a character that has projectiles that can gimp your aether, most of the time you'll make it back on stage without worrying.
But if they're waiting for you on the edge while you're hanging,it's going to be hard to make it back on stage safely.

4.As said before,Nair->jab-> grab, Nair-> bair(low dmg), jabs->bair

5.Ike is a heavy character,so no,it'll be hard to kill him,(without gimping him) lol.

6.I avoid roll dodge a lot but his spot dodge is really good,i abuse that D:. I don't shield alot for the reason that after i'm done shielding(and my opponent is right next to me), ike is too slow to move away so i'll be hit anyway. It's not bad though,use it:p

7.Aether is great for those gimps. That is pretty much the only time you should be using that onstage. Too bad the chance to do it never comes out:p. QD is great for putting tension on your opponents and getting around the stage

8.his jabs,and his grabs,especially back throw

9. Yes,i always fight for my friends;).Unless there's nobody rooting for me:( lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF738Rb9Sv8&feature=channel_page

10. BEST IKE MOMENT YOU'VE HAD???
THIS ONE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vblA6pbfgnw&feature=channel_page

Ike ftw:]

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
8/10, spacing is a huge part of utilizing his insane range. Mindgames play a humongous role in getting your opponent to walk into the hurricane.
Ike players should be a general hybrid of these, playing offensively when you have the upper hand and want to pressure the opponent, and defensively when you want to play "Come here, I have a surprise for you".
Ike's recovery is only considered below average because most Ike's don't know at what point is the best to recover. People who have seen good Ikes recover know that his recovery is definitely average.
This goes back to 3a. Since quite a few Ikes don't know when to execute which recovery, it is usually gimped with ease. When used at the right time, it becomes increasingly difficult to gimp.
Jab cancel, U-Throw -> Aether, Walkoff F-Airs.
It is not easy to get KO'd because of Ike's weight. It is very easy to get punished, though.
When going versus projectile users, I try shielding otfen. Otherwise, I sopt dodge and attack. I might mix in some roll dodges as well, but not often.
QD is incredible as an approach, as long as you don't hit anything. It is also a great retreat, because if they choose to follow you, you could feed them a B-Air. As a recovery, it is good, as long as you dont hit anything. It is sometimes hard to sweetsopt the ledge though. I would only use it as an attack if the opponent was >100% damage and it was fully charged.
U-Tilt, with jump lock it is a great floow through for jab cancel or grab. If not U-Tilt, I'd say N-Air, it hits all around and has extremely low landing lag.
I do fight for my friends. Unfortunately, I have no friends.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
8/10, spacing is a huge part of utilizing his insane range. Mindgames play a humongous role in getting your opponent to walk into the hurricane.
Ike players should be a general hybrid of these, playing offensively when you have the upper hand and want to pressure the opponent, and defensively when you want to play "Come here, I have a surprise for you".
Ike's recovery is only considered below average because most Ike's don't know at what point is the best to recover. People who have seen good Ikes recover know that his recovery is definitely average.
This goes back to 3a. Since quite a few Ikes don't know when to execute which recovery, it is usually gimped with ease. When used at the right time, it becomes increasingly difficult to gimp.
Jab cancel, U-Throw -> Aether, Walkoff F-Airs.
It is not easy to get KO'd because of Ike's weight. It is very easy to get punished, though.
When going versus projectile users, I try shielding otfen. Otherwise, I sopt dodge and attack. I might mix in some roll dodges as well, but not often.
QD is incredible as an approach, as long as you don't hit anything. It is also a great retreat, because if they choose to follow you, you could feed them a B-Air. As a recovery, it is good, as long as you dont hit anything. It is sometimes hard to sweetsopt the ledge though. I would only use it as an attack if the opponent was >100% damage and it was fully charged.
U-Tilt, with jump lock it is a great floow through for jab cancel or grab. If not U-Tilt, I'd say N-Air, it hits all around and has extremely low landing lag.
I do fight for my friends. Unfortunately, I have no friends.
His recovery is horrible against actual competent players -_-.

stealthwarrior17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2938-7216-1604
Ike like all the other characters is great if played right. His main issue is being grab combo-ed and being interupted while recovering.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord

2/10 he is just... spacing pretty much. Alot of his moves suck, so he is limited in his move choices

Defensively, well kinda in the middle, you need to know when to approach after a point in your defensive play, then switch back into a defensive stance

His recovery is bad and gimpable, no question there

j,j, cancel fgrab

Well, he can be gimped, but other than that no

what

OD is really really bad, only use it for short retreats and for the OCCASIONAL approach.

Nair

They get no sympathy from me

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
4/10

Defensively
Not has horrid as Link's recovery, but still pretty bad
you kiddin me right? as gimpable as the gimp from pulp fiction.
jab cancels to w/e, nair, oh did i mention Jab cancel
I feel that is easier to get GIMPED than KO'ed
roll/spot dodge (bad habit, breaking it though)

RETREAT, QD sucks ballzinis
JAB JAB JAB JAB JAB JAB JAB

screw those guys, they always pick top tier characters so i say let 'em fight for themselves gosh darnit!!!

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
4/10

Defensively
Not has horrid as Link's recovery, but still pretty bad
you kiddin me right? as gimpable as the gimp from pulp fiction.
jab cancels to w/e, nair, oh did i mention Jab cancel
I feel that is easier to get GIMPED than KO'ed
roll/spot dodge (bad habit, breaking it though)

RETREAT, QD sucks ballzinis
JAB JAB JAB JAB JAB JAB JAB

screw those guys, they always pick top tier characters so i say let 'em fight for themselves gosh darnit!!!
omg you don't fight for your friends sad indeed :(

D

Deleted member

1. 1. Lowest of both in the game.

2. Mixed. Anyone who thinks one is better than the other is asked to get ***** in their weaker aspect.

3a. average.

3b. depends on the opponent.

4. Throw out attacks in places that the opponent can't punish out of shield. Use strong attacks to push shielding opponents off of platforms.

5. Average

6. You can buffer defenses in this game with the same 10 frame window you can with attacks. The 2 best defensive tactics in the game air dodge dodge to buffer another defense on landing, or sidestep buffer into sidestep to make punishing sidesteps humanly impossible (frame advantage). Ike makes better use of these than most characters. Don't roll.

7. QD's best used as if it doesn't exist.

8. Grab.

9. **** no, I fight to kill as many mothers****ers as possible as brutally as possible.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Umbreon: MK has less ATs then Ike does. >_> Ike's not the lowest in technical stuff. Captain Falcon, Fox, Olimar (when it comes to ATs, managing Pikmin is technical), Marth, G&W, and Jigglypuff don't exactly have much either.

D

Deleted member

Umbreon: MK has less ATs then Ike does. >_> Ike's not the lowest in technical stuff. Captain Falcon, Fox, Olimar (when it comes to ATs, managing Pikmin is technical), Marth, G&W, and Jigglypuff don't exactly have much either.
hmm, I thought I would get addressed for this. Allow me to explain.

for both mind games and technical variations, ike is very limited. technical ability is doing exactly what you want to do. ike has to worry about spacing and sweetspotted attacks less than any other character. his timing is also relatively easy due to his lengthy attacks.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm not addressing the score, I'm addressing the words after it:

1. 1. Lowest of both in the game.
I just proved at least the ATs part wrong. MK is the lowest AT wise. Falcon, Fox, and Marth are possibly lower.

Ike has: Combat Walking (minimal usefulness), DACIT (useful), Aerial Quick Draw Slide (borderline worthless. EXTREMELY situational. More like "just realize that this will happen if you let go a just the right time"), and Counter Diving (useful against a few people on Pirate Ship, like avoiding Sonic's spring gimps)

MK: IDC, banned in most cases.

Falcon: Falcon Kick Ledge Canceling

Fox: Curved firefox (helpful), flamedash (about the same as the AQDS)

Marth: Some trick with their Up B, haven't really looked into it, and counter diving.

D

Deleted member

I was addressing utility, based on the thread title. for just stuff that ike can randomly do yeah I guess he has some chars beat.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Even with pure utility, he beats MK, Fox, Marth and Falcon. >_> I forgot that MK can also DACIT, but combat walking works amazingly well against Ganondorf and Zelda, so it actually has a use. And Fox, Falcon, and Marth he beats by one each.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The keys to getting good with Ike? Play better rofl rofl rofl...

What Ussi said, and learning how to read the opponent well.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
~ 7/10 Ike is too good as a character being the strongest in the game , if backed up by some sweet mind games and combo work he CAN be god tier , or better known as GOD IKE.
He plays offensively and hes on his defense when ever hes got 100% control of the match , a Ike should wait for a mess up by the opponent but not depend on it.
In theory Ikes recovery is the **** , but its not like that in real life , he has a modest recovery.
~gimpable definitely

~Learned this one off kirk , Fthrow at the edge and walk off fair ,but we cant forget the best combo in the game can we? So Nair , Jab to jab or jab to anything productive.

~Ike can never be Ko'ed he's Ike , So hes easily gimped , but he'll never go down at 150% under ideal conditions.* maybe I'm getting carried away*
~attack and spot dodge .

~Approaching with out the big Ike guys I would never have found out the true use of QD apporaching .Thats what all the cool Ikes are doing.

Jab

Yea if only in brawl there were more friends to fight for , like Roy I'd fight for Roy anyday

Top Bottom