• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The journey of a Link noob [Complete]

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Happy birthday WaffleZ :D Excellent last chapter, it's very poetic. Wow, my keyboard is crap!!!! Like seriously, all the keys are stuck. ALL OF THEM. My little brother needs to calm down while playing games on this thing.... Ugh this is so bad. :(

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
*Blush*

Awww, thanks you guys. I think it's time I hugged all the board members again.

*Stretches arms*

Glad you liked the story. And a birthday gift from me to you will be some new footage, as soon as I get it off this DVD...

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
*Blush*

Awww, thanks you guys. I think it's time I hugged all the board members again.

*Stretches arms*

Glad you liked the story. And a birthday gift from me to you will be some new footage, as soon as I get it off this DVD...
NOT AGAIN!!! *gaak* *gurgle*
Oh and to the guy in Conneticut, if Utah has a Smash scene CT DEFINITELY has one. Nobody is interested in Smashing down here, except for about 30 or 40 of us.

SSBKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
Yeah epic. Link is hard to main with. It took me like a bunch of matches to at least not be a n00b with him.
But like you I kept trying and now I mostly win all my matches.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
oddly enough, i saw the SSB games in the console magazines and whatnot, but only until earlier this year i had actually played SSBM for the first time ever at my friends sleep over lol.. i obsolutely hated its guts

due to how terribad i was.. but the 2nd time i ever played it i owned my friends face 3 times in a row O.o

since then i've had a terrible addiction for the SSB games, cant get enough of it.

i havent really found a character i enjoy as of yet, and im getting around to learning link because he looks interesting and a challenge maybe to learn..

so far i've cycled through Ike, Snake, Ganondorf, Wolf and MK, and maybe used other characters for something different.. thats basicly my Smash story lol.. so far my best performance is with MK (what a surprise.. everyone complains about his bullcrapness lol)

anyways, would you consider link to me as a good fun character to main, or should i bother with someone else?

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
oddly enough, i saw the SSB games in the console magazines and whatnot, but only until earlier this year i had actually played SSBM for the first time ever at my friends sleep over lol.. i obsolutely hated its guts

due to how terribad i was.. but the 2nd time i ever played it i owned my friends face 3 times in a row O.o

since then i've had a terrible addiction for the SSB games, cant get enough of it.

i havent really found a character i enjoy as of yet, and im getting around to learning link because he looks interesting and a challenge maybe to learn..

so far i've cycled through Ike, Snake, Ganondorf, Wolf and MK, and maybe used other characters for something different.. thats basicly my Smash story lol.. so far my best performance is with MK (what a surprise.. everyone complains about his bullcrapness lol)

anyways, would you consider link to me as a good fun character to main, or should i bother with someone else?

Link is fun, VERY fun.

But he's going to take a lot of practice. Link is complicated, and his learning curve isn't friendly to beginners. He's pure awesomeness once you master him, but the question is whether or not you're willing to take the time to learn him.
Since he's so hard to master, most of the people who use him are just Link fanboys.

But no one is going to pressure you to main him. It all depends on you really, I can't tell you whether to main Link or not.

(Do it. Do it!!!)

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
hah lol

yeah i'd be determined to, after seeing alot of peoples combo videos, tutorials and such he looks like he'd be worth the time and training

especially to **** my friends face. he mains Marth / Snake >.>

Popertop

Smash Champion
This is the story of like every smash player ever.
It's so nostalgiac (wow i spelled that way wrong)

Also, I'm picking up Link.
HE'S SOOOOOO EPiC!!
LiKE WOAH!

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah he's waaay too fun.
I need a technical character to show off.
I was pleasantly suprised to find that he's really really epic to play.
Like, every match I have is very intense and epic.
I <3 Zair. And bombs.

sasook

Smash Champion
Who are the most technical characters anyway?

Obviously Link, and I know Yoshi is too. Hmm...

Diddy Kong I heard is very technical. Who else?

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah Diddy is real technical his infinite is waaaay hard.

Icies have their grabs, but that's too ghey.
They have some other tech stuff, but it's kinda meh.

Peach has some unique things to her game.
Most of it is just float cancel, but she has some pretty delicious combos involving re-catching the turnip after you hit them with it.

Pikachu has some QAC stuff.

Pit's arrow tricks, and he has a lot of nuances to his gameplay. Like a bunch of little tricks that will suprise you even if you know Pit.

Yoshi and Zero suit are the only other vaguely technical characters I can think of.
Of course Zerosuit isn't as much, but she has some stuff.

And LOL at Meta comment

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah Diddy is real technical his infinite is waaaay hard.

Icies have their grabs, but that's too ghey.
They have some other tech stuff, but it's kinda meh.

Peach has some unique things to her game.
Most of it is just float cancel, but she has some pretty delicious combos involving re-catching the turnip after you hit them with it.

Pikachu has some QAC stuff.

Pit's arrow tricks, and he has a lot of nuances to his gameplay. Like a bunch of little tricks that will suprise you even if you know Pit.

Yoshi and Zero suit are the only other vaguely technical characters I can think of.
Of course Zerosuit isn't as much, but she has some stuff.

And LOL at Meta comment
Right, how could I forget the IC alternate CG? It's incredibly hard, only players at Hylian's level can do it consistently, I believe (because the timing is different for each character, or so I've heard).

Dunno anything about Peach. And Pika just has the QAC right...that's only one...meh..

Pit is pretty technical, that is true.

I mentioned Yoshi already, and I don't think ZSS is that technical. I second her, the only real AT she has is a glide toss. Everything else is just spacing.

Spacing with her without using sideb is so HARD O_O

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah I was going to main either Jiggs or Icies this time around, and then I found out Jiggs was trash lol.
I was gonna learn the grabs, but that would be difficult without a Wii.
And then there was that mess about the limits and whatever and I was like eff that.

Peach is pretty fun to play actually.
I love the look on my opponents face when I pull a stitch face XD

LOL at Zamus taht's so true.
IMO that would be how you tell the really good ones apart from "the rest".

sasook

Smash Champion
Jiggz has a decent aerial game, good gimping potential. Rollout is crazy annoying too. I know almost every projectile stops it but.....still.

And for ZSS, yeah the top players (Claw, James Sparrow, especially Snakeee, <3 Snakeee) are so much fun to watch, and so hard to replicate.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah. :)

The thing I've found with the top players, they've mastered the character to such an extent that they become unpredictable, they actually "feel" the character the entire time so they can devote the rest of their mental capacity during the match to prediction of their opponent.

And about Jiggs, she's pretty much my secondary so believe me when I say she's trash llolol.
When I say trash, I mean there's pretty much no chance against a really good player using a really good character. LIke garabage high tiers lol. That's why I have Wario.
But Jiggs is still fun to play. I'm going to have Link as my second once I get good enough with him.

sasook

Smash Champion
Ohhh I see what you mean.

---------

Snake vs. Jiggz

*random fighting for a minute*

Snake uses utilt -> KO.

>__>

lol

Top players always just "know" what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. Its like....O_O

Popertop

Smash Champion
No lie, I kind of zone out when I watch them play, It's like magic.

When Beaumont went to our first OOS tourney (LasT 2 in Louisiana)
Mah boi Takeurlife2 got into the finals against LeeMartin.
The matches leading up to the finals were soo cool.
Take just got into "**** mode" and just started destroying everybody.
Of course he lost to Lee, but Lee is Pro level, soo....

Lawz93

Smash Rookie
i went the exact same way as you when I started playing smash bros. i was really young and my friend and i always played SSB 64 like every minute of the day. Link was my favorite character all the time. we had fun with items and all the mayhem. once Melee came out my friend bought the Gcube and we played that like 64. we were actually better than most people in our area but we never heard or seen the competetive scene of smash bros. our playing consisted of smash attacks, jabs, and lots of dodge rolling. we didn't know about wave dashing and anything that made the game extremely fast paced until maybe a year before brawl came out. but then we started getting waaay better and brawl came out and we are getting a lot better. (none of you have seen my Link yet so you might think i'm just saying a bunch of bs im working on getting videos up)

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
I think that if Link had a better recovery he could be somewhat of a CP for MK >__> or at least even

just my thoughts <_<
yeah....

Deva

Smash Lord
huh? I thought Link was an MK counter. I was thinking about picking up Link since The last tournament I was at I made $50 off of finding MKs and mming them. I was like, "maybe I should give this Link character a try." Every MK acceptedt the mm cuz it's Link lol. And after going through all the MKs there, it's the easiest $50 I've made. Get it? They get frustrated after losing to Link so they mm you again and you make even more moneyzz =P.

huh? I thought Link was an MK counter. I was thinking about picking up Link since The last tournament I was at I made $50 off of finding MKs and mming them. I was like, "maybe I should give this Link character a try." Every MK acceptedt the mm cuz it's Link lol. And after going through all the MKs there, it's the easiest $50 I've made. Get it? They get frustrated after losing to Link so they mm you again and you make even more moneyzz =P.
yea link is meta counter, cause meta has no long lasting moves, and link has no long lasting dodges, meta knight is light link is heavy, link has kill moves, MK can combo, link can string attacks together, link has projectiles that goes through and clinch with metas attacks, link has overall at least equal priority as meta knight, yes meta knight can gimp link but who cant and link can actually gimp kill MKs pretty easily (Ill show you as soon as anonano gets his christmas presents). Link has medecine against ledge stalling and. meta knight is fast, link is NOT slow. link has the master sword, so if meta is evil, link wins.

so I say its one of links best matchups,
70:30 to meta knight.

Actually I dunno, in my mind link should win this match up, but for some reason link dont.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Actually I dunno, in my mind link should win this match up, but for some reason link dont.
Well... He's freaking Link!

And after everything is said and done, Link can clearly kick the butt of every other character in the game. However, using the infinite power of the Triforce he learned that he must hold back completely in this particular game because he had to at least give the other characters a meager chance at beating him.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Well... He's freaking Link!

And after everything is said and done, Link can clearly kick the butt of every other character in the game. However, using the infinite power of the Triforce he learned that he must hold back completely in this particular game because he had to at least give the other characters a meager chance at beating him.
This statement is win.

Top Bottom