• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Japanese Ledge Grab rule

pockyD

Smash Legend
Ledgehopped projectiles.

And, trust me; while it is annoying, ledgehopped eggs and ledgehopped missiles aren't too much trouble to get around...and you should really be doing 50+ to begin with, unless you're stalling.
i realize that... although it's not even really an AT. If you're lucky enough that your projectile has early frames for ledge grabbing, that's just built into your character, with no special action taken by the player... is "auto-sweetspotting" an AT for 30+ characters simply because wario can't do it?

My point is that it's nothing more than glorified "regrabbing the edge" (is it really any different from MK doing a ledgehop fair, except that it has way more range?), so why does it deserve "special treatment" outside of "standard" ledgestalling?

OverLade

Smash Hero
i realize that... although it's not even really an AT. If you're lucky enough that your projectile has early frames for ledge grabbing, that's just built into your character, with no special action taken by the player... is "auto-sweetspotting" an AT for 30+ characters simply because wario can't do it?

My point is that it's nothing more than glorified "regrabbing the edge" (is it really any different from MK doing a ledgehop fair, except that it has way more range?), so why does it deserve "special treatment" outside of "standard" ledgestalling?
This is why a number is more reasonable.

If A yoshi player is doing his "ledge egg thing", will judges count it as ledgestalling? When does it become fair and where do people draw the line? Should people let Samus ledgecamp more than Metaknight?

Hence why a number makes more sense.....

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
You know what makes the most sense? Not being a little *****.

Lol but for real, lets just all adopt DA rules and ban everything that can even remotely be considered "cheap" lol

Grab release on wario? BANNED. he must hit the ground!!

Smash Master
That's a gross exaggeration and you know it. A game changing tactic on one character can't be banworthy, because it doesn't overcentralize. Planking reduces the game in many instances to whoever can plank better/get the first damage lead. The question is whether "many" is too many.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion

Lol but for real, lets just all adopt DA rules and ban everything that can even remotely be considered "cheap" lol

lol if you think what your doing isnt cheap then you should keep doing it bro. i hope one day you find someone who planks twice as hard as you do and maybe youre eyes will open up and youll be like dam am i really this gay? lol

if you wanna call people that complain about planking a "little *****" thats dum
cuz people could call you the same thing for being so gay you feel me,
when m2k camps the edge at least he does cool gimps and ish, this is just super gay

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
I like this rule 70 times per match. 70 is actually a good amount. Cause you'll notice if a dude a grabbing the ledge that much. average i think is around 40 (not like a counted gestimating). So if he's a ledgecamper, he's out.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ok, i was playing some team wifi matches (i know teams is a little different, planking isn't as effective, but still) I counted 1 match with each of my mains.

Pikachu: 5 ledgegrabs
DK: 9 ledgegrabs
Samus: 5 ledgegrabs

OverLade

Smash Hero

DA rules are the **** dont even lie. :D

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
lol if you think what your doing isnt cheap then you should keep doing it bro. i hope one day you find someone who planks twice as hard as you do and maybe youre eyes will open up and youll be like dam am i really this gay? lol

if you wanna call people that complain about planking a "little *****" thats dum
cuz people could call you the same thing for being so gay you feel me,
when m2k camps the edge at least he does cool gimps and ish, this is just super gay
actually whenver anyone tries to "plank" me i **** them terribly lol. and "what im doing"? i love how everyone thinks this is all i do, or that i do it often for that matter. show me a vid online of me doing that vs anyone except sk92

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah it is but that doesnt mean i do it often. ur just jealous that there is no term named after u, mainly because most people already accept "extreme sucking" as a sufficient term

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wonder what it'd be like if I had a technique named after me.

Quick question (for my own use and for the thread), though: Is the standard for competitive Brawl play seven minutes or eight? I never figured that out.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
yeah it is but that doesnt mean i do it often. ur just jealous that there is no term named after u, mainly because most people already accept "extreme sucking" as a sufficient term
lmao

oh no im so jealous!! how u know?!??!
:(

lol get over yourself bro, walk up to someone in life and say hi im plank they named planking after me you know! and see what happens lolol

your seriously a clown man

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
lol why would i walk up to someone in life and say that? what does that have to do with anything?

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
your tryna say im jealous because they didnt name something after me in a video game man,
as if this was my life and i all i do is try to get something named after me

im tryna to say this is nothing bro, its a game, to say im jealous of u cuz you got something named after you is real stupid, ur a real clown if you believe that

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol jona you just got wrecked hard.

personally I think someone needs to go out and win a tourney doing just this. Planking does seem cheap, but is it unbeatable? It is scrub mentality to ban anything that seems cheap.

I like the rule however if it can be proven that this unbeatable or heavily imbalanced/game breaking. It makes for a very concrete rule that can be enforced.

xXRoYXx

Smash Cadet
lol jona you just got wrecked hard.

personally I think someone needs to go out and win a tourney doing just this. Planking does seem cheap, but is it unbeatable? It is scrub mentality to ban anything that seems cheap.

I like the rule however if it can be proven that this unbeatable or heavily imbalanced/game breaking. It makes for a very concrete rule that can be enforced.
good point, it's not like planking is unbeatable, i probably think its a counter-pick tech. i wonder where the origin of planking came from..ill put 10$ it was because of MK

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Plank and joan, stop the flaming. You can do that in your visitor's message. It's not helping the thread at all.

xXRoYXx

Smash Cadet
after reading the first few pages, I belive this rule SHOULD be implented in tournaments. It gives the players ANOTHER way to win then just by, stocks and time. However, I belive this is going to be brought up again in the near future (If it does get implented)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I wonder what it'd be like if I had a technique named after me.

Quick question (for my own use and for the thread), though: Is the standard for competitive Brawl play seven minutes or eight? I never figured that out.
I believe 7, not entirely sure. Thats what it was last time I checked...

Edit: SBR says 8, idk if thats the standard though.

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
Lemme break it down for you guys:

Stalling in ANY form is against the rules because it exploits a weakness in the tournament system. The reason a timer was put in is because realistically, matches can only be allowed to run for so long for the sake of a tournament finishing in a timely fashion. But it was not intended for matches to be won by running the time down. The timer is a construct created as an aid to a tournament setting, and is not actually a part of the game of melee.

The only way that this construct can be functional in a tourney setting is if it goes unexploited. However, if people exploit the fact that they can win USING the timer to their advantage, then it really isn't fair to have that in tournaments at all.

Now the idea of having the right to call a Tourney director is completely valid, and anyone who disagrees has to refute the fact that it has worked for years in melee. In melee, u can call a tourney director over if u ever feel that someone is using any of the following tactics as a form of stalling: peach's wallbombing, jiggs rising pound, luigi's ladder (teams), fox's shine infinite (wall), or IC's wobbling as a form of stalling. Its the same idea.

You can't possibly argue that a person CANNOT do anything about a wallbombing peach that is trying to stall. So why is it banned then? Because it puts someone in a disadvantage to try and attack someone who is in such a position. Yes u CAN attack them, but it would be to there advantage if u did, because they can easily kill u in such a position. Its the same idea here. You CAN do something about a person ledge stalling, but its not fair that you have to put urself at a disadvantage in order to do so.

This isn't just about metaknight, or brawl, or jigglypuffs, its about stalling in general. Excessive stalling in an attempt to win by running down the time is illegal in tournamnets, and has been for years. This is just another form of stalling, nothing more. Its no different then any of the other stalls that have been banned in the past. I don't see how people can possibly refute this.
qfmft son

think of this more as.. a yang to the time limit. they go hand in hand. the time limit is there for practical and necessary reasons, and the ledgegrab limit is there to prevent, imo, an unbelievably crude "tactic" which is really just an exploitation of the unintended weakness that the time limit creates

in friendlies, in which time limits aren't necessary, stalling would merely stunt the progression of a match into a stalemate, not drastically shift things in your favor. these two constructs aim to create the same structure within a practical tournament setting, not to be exploited :(

the only unanswered questions i can raise are:

- who's to decide if excessive ledgegrabbing is an entailment of tactical play or stalling?

- most importantly, who will keep count? (jk)

to which the ledgegrab limit answers beautifully. it's up to you if you want to stall, or ledgegrab tactically, but you have 70 grabs to use, so use them wisely. 70 may not be the perfect number, but you can just start taking averages of matches and see what value the average heavily gravitates toward. it will still be arbitrary by nature, but that's not important. the idea is to deter the use of this crude tactic, which it will do.

oh, and i just want to address the already addressed "what if you grab the ledge while recovering." as with the fact that you should never reach 70 with this, unless you're a complete d1ck****, you.. don't want to be knocked off the ledge in the first place. so, don't get knocked off! gives you more of an active incentive to avoid being knocked off anyway.

OverLade

Smash Hero
If someone named a Technique "Berding" after me....that'd be legendary.

But considering Plank hasn't even planked for ages, I don't see why you should support something you don't need. You're a top MK player. Be cool and let scrubs like us have a chance. :p

Besides Planking is too good anyway....

Stev

Smash Ace
Have you ever seen someone ledge stall more than 7 times as a part of a tactic that's NOT planking? I would think it's pretty obvious to call out.

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
Have you ever seen someone ledge stall more than 7 times as a part of a tactic that's NOT planking? I would think it's pretty obvious to call out.
yeah for sure, the only reason i posed the question was because yuna or someone else was making a fuss about it earlier.

xXRoYXx

Smash Cadet
Well this thread was to raise ideas about how to make tournament rounds more "fair" in terms of planking. Me personally, I believe it is silly because its not like planking makes you "unbeatable", best thing to do is come up with ways to counter-act it. (Remember, it's my opinion) but with a 70 or w/e ledgegrab limit, it could actually shake things up and make a tournament more challenging if you ask me.

Quick question: If you fight some1 who planks, why not just wait at the center stage and make a "stalling" call on him/her? Or is it even possible?

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
We used this rule (7 minutes 50 ledgegrabs at a tourney last weekend and there was no planking witnessed :D)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
If someone named a Technique "Berding" after me....that'd be legendary.

But considering Plank hasn't even planked for ages, I don't see why you should support something you don't need. You're a top MK player. Be cool and let scrubs like us have a chance. :p

Besides Planking is too good anyway....
Whether or not I need it does not determine what side of the issue I am on. I look at the facts and decide whether or not a tactic merits banning, and then i formulate an opinion and post on it. I have strong opinions on infinites, counterpick stages, etc as well, even if they don't effect me.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Whether or not I need it does not determine what side of the issue I am on. I look at the facts and decide whether or not a tactic merits banning, and then i formulate an opinion and post on it. I have strong opinions on infinites, counterpick stages, etc as well, even if they don't effect me.
No matter what though, your opinion will always be considered biased.

Plairnkk's opinion on the legality of planking. lol.

It's just funny to me. :p

pockyD

Smash Legend
how can anyone NOT be "biased"? in barlw, 3/4th of the cast is capable of edge stalling

just listen to all the low tier whiners jumping in here asking for special treatment

bobson

Smash Lord
Ya you can. If you sit in the center of the stage and that's all the do for a while, it's pretty **** obvious they're stalling.
It could then easily be argued that you're the one stalling by not approaching them.

Smash Master
It doesn't matter that its obvious to you... a T.O. needs to verify it, and they can't be watching every match.

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
Well this thread was to raise ideas about how to make tournament rounds more "fair" in terms of planking.
well, no. this thread, like alphazealot's reiterated numerous times, is to offer an objective alternative to the "no planking" rule, as it's much more easy to enforce. this thread isn't about the brokenness or validity of planking as a tactic, so you might as well get off that train of thought now.

Top Bottom