• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ice Climbers in Brawl+

D

Deleted member

I don't really consider myself in a competitive level, even though I main the IC, I don't think I know enough about the IC to answer these questions.
Lately there has been talk of removing the IC's infinites, because every other (known) infinite has been removed (except a Pikachu one, which is being worked on). Although removing their infinites is of low priority right now, and there's a decent chance it won't happen, there is a chance it will happen, So, IC mains, I ask you:

1. Should the IC's infinites be removed? (Not necessarily their chaingrabs, only the ability to 0-death someone with them). And Why?

2. Even if you answered no to question 1, If they where removed, how would you go about removing them?

3. How would you buff them for compensation of losing their infinites?

Sorry if you can't understand some of this, the brokenness of my English gets more noticeable the longer my paragraphs.

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
Uhm, your English is fine. Just so you know.

I personally believe that IC's chaingrabs in B+ are too hard to remove. Really hard. Every character has tweaked gravity, fall speed etc. and stuff, and it's really hard (atleast for me) to CG. However, once a faction of ultra-CG's comes along, they might remove/edit it.

Let's hope the gold version is out by then.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Their chain grabs are way less broken than a lot of the other stuff in Brawl+ right now, and it's still fairly easy to avoid getting grabbed in Brawl. A lot of characters now have 0-deaths in Brawl+ anyways, or at least characters that combo up to high percentages (like Sheik's ftilt in Brawl+ x.x)

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
They should've called it Melee+, with the + meaning new characters and stages <_<
LOLLL yes.
The whole point of Brawl+ is to make it more like Melee, when you could just play Melee instead. It will never reach a point of being accepted competitively, so it's pointless to discuss it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
If you guys don't like Brawl Plus, or agree with the purpose of Brawl Plus's creation or existence (and chances are you're not aware of those reasons or purposes, it isn't supposed to be Melee 2.0), then don't post. This is strictly for the discussion of Ice Climbers in Brawl Plus. Try to stay on topic. :ohwell:

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
did you not hear what he just said?
Im not sure how removing the CG's would work anyway. but if they were taken out then maybe increase their grab range (since grabs wont mean death) I dont think they would do too bad without them.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
I agree with increasing their grab range, mostly because of the fact that most characters will be moving too fast in Brawl+ to get grabbed. Air speed, maneuverability, and momentum will also play key roles in their chances of getting the grab. I know that's a pretty stupid way of reasoning, but thinking about it a bit more, I'm probably at least mostly right, or something.

Alternatively, it would just be better for their moveset to be fiddled around with when we get more lines of code when (if..?) Gecko 2.0 comes out. Maybe we can buff their air moves and make their blizzard have less startup lag or little things like that. IMO, their infinite is too hard to pull off in Brawl+ so it'd be a waste of space taking out something that will be sparsely done.

But who am I to make such a bold decision? Let the Ice Climbers mains decide by playing Brawl+ themselves. (ninja Brawl+ endorsement ftw)

D

Deleted member

Just go play melee.
Brawl+ is dumb.
They should've called it Melee+, with the + meaning new characters and stages <_<
LOLLL yes.
The whole point of Brawl+ is to make it more like Melee, when you could just play Melee instead. It will never reach a point of being accepted competitively, so it's pointless to discuss it.
Can't believe there's still people who think this... *facepalms*

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Their Fthrow chain grab is actually easier to pull of in Brawl+, but their Bthrow chain grab is harder, and I haven't been able to hobble in Brawl+, so it's almost like they can't infinite, without really good practicing.

(Also, is it just me or am I the only one who's ever posted a video of Ice Climbers in Brawl+ o.O)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm actually starting to get interested in Brawl+. I dunno if I can take it seriously though, considering all that you have to do to even play the game. :x

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm actually starting to get interested in Brawl+. I dunno if I can take it seriously though, considering all that you have to do to even play the game. :x
Once you make the jump to Brawl+, there is no going back. It is too much fun.

You can easily make the adjustments back and forth, but you won't want to ;-)
As a member of the B+ back room, feel free to PM me any questions about it

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I only played Brawl + once but ****, was it fun. It was awkward not being able to airdodge out of everything though. I played IC the same as I always did though, Bairs and blizzards all day, baby. lol

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Can't believe there's still people who think this... *facepalms*
One of the first things Brawl+ did was increasing hitstun. Then fall speed. The ledge system was changed, as was the airdodge system. Stale moves were given siginificantly less impact. All of those things were frequently whined about by Melee players.

On another note, this thread should be in the Smash Workshop forum.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I'd be very interested in getting IC's feedback. PLUR, if you or others start playing Brawl+ please let me know so we can get good idea how they are performing.

I recommend using this set (in progress / not public release yet of the upcoming official beta):
http://shanemulliganphotography.blogsite.org:6111/~shane/Smashcodes/3-11-2009/US/
Well, I can tell you some things.

The version I played didn't have the same period for buffering that VBrawl has which I happen to use alot for alot of IC's desynchs, mostly the hitlag desynch. That and hitlag was lessened, which makes desynching from it ever harder. I personally like having more hitlag in Brawl. Not because it makes it easier to DI but because it makes the hits feel like they have more weight.

IC's landing animation from aerials is weird. Sometimes Nana will Auto-lcancel and sometimes she doesn't. Maybe we should just get manual L-canceling back. Or maybe I'm buffering my moves at a specific point so that Popo acts before Nana can

shanus

Smash Hero
Well, I can tell you some things.

The version I played didn't have the same period for buffering that VBrawl has which I happen to use alot for alot of IC's desynchs, mostly the hitlag desynch. That and hitlag was lessened, which makes desynching from it ever harder. I personally like having more hitlag in Brawl. Not because it makes it easier to DI but because it makes the hits feel like they have more weight.

IC's landing animation from aerials is weird. Sometimes Nana will Auto-lcancel and sometimes she doesn't. Maybe we should just get manual L-canceling back. Or maybe I'm buffering my moves at a specific point so that Popo acts before Nana can
Around when did you play last so I can guess what version you used?

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
One of the first things Brawl+ did was increasing hitstun. Then fall speed. The ledge system was changed, as was the airdodge system. Stale moves were given siginificantly less impact. All of those things were frequently whined about by Melee players.

Do some research. The airdodge system is the exact same as regular brawl. It hasnt been changed. Fall speeds were changed for every character to optimize their performance. We merely added things from BOTH smash games that were not transitioned over properly. Brawl+ still has that sense of brawl feel but is an entirely different game from every other smash game so far and is more so of a combination of all three games to date. It's even more unique with the addition of new things such as the "bowser thick skin" code that was not present in any smash game

Also, this is in the right place. Its about the IC's and if i recall this is their board. Brawl+ does not have character specific boards so if you dont like brawl+ then just dont come into the threads.

@ KDRsonic- the codes you used are out of date. Lots of changes have been made that i think you would enjoy alot. I would love to see some of your IC's with the new set linked by shanus. Keep up the ****** :)

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
I dont think so, threads like this are popping up in every character boards so it would be too cluttered with 30 some character specific threads. Maybe they could make character threads for brawl+ in that particular forum similar to how the normal character boards are.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
@ KDRsonic- the codes you used are out of date. Lots of changes have been made that i think you would enjoy alot. I would love to see some of your IC's with the new set linked by shanus. Keep up the ****** :)
Alright, I'll have my friend who's wii I use for Brawl+ to update it to the newer set of codes.

I played on the most recent version, on someone's Wii at HOBO 15, which was really fun. My IC were unbeatable in Brawl+ there :p Solo Ice Climber has much more of a chance in Brawl+, which I love.

legion598

Smash Ace
I think that CG infinites are completely fair due to that fact that the ICs have the worst grab range in the game and cannot shield grab without nana being hit and then after this a CG infinite is very difficult to do and removing it would probably make the ICs low tier

Rikana

Smash Champion
Like, early February, methinks
That codeset is quite outdated. We had quite a lot done in just one month thanks to the staff behind Brawl+. It'd be awesome if you can test out Ice Climbers again 'cause we don't really have any IC mains to tell us what needs to be done about them.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I think that CG infinites are completely fair due to that fact that the ICs have the worst grab range in the game and cannot shield grab without nana being hit and then after this a CG infinite is very difficult to do and removing it would probably make the ICs low tier
In Brawl+?

I don't think it would be that bad. I mean the same could be said for regular Brawl too. By the way there are characters with worse grab ranges.

With increased hitstun, the Ice Climbers can also perform some combos. Up-Tilt works about the same as it did in Melee due to the increased hitstun and falling speed of the opponents. And Up-Air combos into itself too.

Desynchs are still possible, especially with the addition of Dash-Dancing. Blizzard and Squall Hammer still work well in this game (probably even better.)

And from the version I played last (Mid February) I was still able to chaingrab and 0 death. And footstooling a edgehogging opponent with SoPo saved my life once too.

Recovery is cool I think. The instant tether doesn't allow Popo to get gimped nearly as easily. Side-B recovery worked about the same.

I only played it once, and that's what I thought about it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hopefully, I can hack my Wii tommorow.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Hopefully, I can hack my Wii tommorow.
Awesome. Another IC player. You can always test out Kirby in B+ as well and provide us with feedback on what you think about him. Installing it should be easy if you have both Zelda and an SD card (2gb and lower).

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Awesome. Another IC player. You can always test out Kirby in B+ as well and provide us with feedback on what you think about him. Installing it should be easy if you have both Zelda and an SD card (2gb and lower).
Thanks. Hopevully my Wii doesn't get destroyed tommor...*checks clock* Yeah, tommorow.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
lol, Why would your wii get destroyed? If your talking about addin HBC to play brawl+ its perfectly safe.

Top Bottom