• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The anti-sword character thing is honestly weird, especially when you look and see Smash honestly doesn't have many sword users....
I will not be counting echoes in this, or Young Link.
Smash 64, One Sword User: (Using their Ultimate version of the characters for this however)
Link: Jab, All Smash Attacks, All Tilts, Fair, Up Air, and Dair. Up Special

Melee, 2 Sword Users Added:
Marth: All Attacks use sword
Roy: See above

Brawl, 3 Sword Users Added:
Meta Knight: All attacks besides Neutral Special
Ike: All attacks besides jab 1
Toon Link: Same as Link

Smash 4, and this is where I think the hate for swords started...4 sword users added, 5 counting Lucina:
Robin: Aerials, Smashes, and Tilts.
Shulk: All attacks besides jab 1
No more sword users until DLC
Cloud: Smashes, Aerials. F-Tilt, Up Tilt. Side Special, Up Special.
Now this is where it makes no sense, Corrin despite being the most hated addition in this game....barely uses their sword.
Corrin: Jab, TECHNICALLY down smash. Fair, Up Air, All Tilts....thats it. Corrin uses his dragon powers for the rest of his moveset.

This carries onto Ultimate, the only sword character added is...Joker, if you want to count him. He only uses his dagger.
Joker: Jab, All Smash Attacks, F-Tilt, Up Tilt, Bair, Dair. That's all.

Not counting echoes (or young link), we have a grand total of...11 sword users. Even if we include echoes and YL into this, that number only goes up to 14. 16 if you're petty and include the Pits. Also, calling Ganon a sword user would be even pettier because he uses his sword for a grand total of 3 attacks, all reused animations too.

11-14 out of a roster of over 70 characters honestly isnt that bad....(also please tell me if Im missing anything)
I think it makes for quite a bit of them compared to other weapons. But there's a lot of echoes or clone characters. Lucina, Chrom, Roy, Young and Toon Link, etc.

I think it'd be good to have other weapons going around, but not as a criteria for getting a character in. The thing is that swords are just pretty prevalent in games in general.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I think it makes for quite a bit of them compared to other weapons. But there's a lot of echoes or clone characters. Lucina, Chrom, Roy, Young and Toon Link, etc.

I think it'd be good to have other weapons going around, but not as a criteria for getting a character in. The thing is that swords are just pretty prevalent in games in general.
Im all for it :^) swords are cool
Give every character in Smash a sword\

ALSO I FORGOT MII SWORDFIGHTER ITS LITERALLY IN HIS NAME AHHHHH

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Im all for it :^) swords are cool
Give every character in Smash a sword\

ALSO I FORGOT MII SWORDFIGHTER ITS LITERALLY IN HIS NAME AHHHHH
Yeh but they also added 1 of each mii fighter :p (+ brooms and staffs)

I would rather have other weapons, or a mix of them, but a sword is not going to change whether i like a character or not for smash. There's quite a lot of other characters with swords that people would enjoy too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are only so many other potential characters who use swords right? I think we're at a point where we're scraping the bottom of iconic sword users. Hell, Joker's knife shouldn't even be counted as a sword.

Who else was leaked that had a sword besides Erdrick? Artorias... Yeah that's about it. I think we're good y'all.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Please add me to the support list! i made a couple posts before (i think) but mostly i've been lurking, honestly DQ deserves and i'm down with Erdrick, i always liked that kind of "mystical hero" mood he/she exudes, i'll most likely main imediatly, and more so if they gave some mechanic that feels like using a turn in a RPG, and the female version too.

D

Deleted member

The anti-sword character thing is honestly weird, especially when you look and see Smash honestly doesn't have many sword users....
Smash 64, One Sword User: (Using their Ultimate version of the characters for this however)

Smash 4, and this is where I think the hate for swords started...4 sword users added, 5 counting Lucina:
Now this is where it makes no sense, Corrin despite being the most hated addition in this game....barely uses their sword.
Corrin: Jab, TECHNICALLY down smash. Fair, Up Air, All Tilts....thats it. Corrin uses his dragon powers for the rest of his moveset.

This carries onto Ultimate, the only sword character added is...Joker, if you want to count him. He only uses his dagger.

Not counting echoes (or young link), we have a grand total of...11 sword users. Even if we include echoes and YL into this, that number only goes up to 14. 16 if you're petty and include the Pits. Also, calling Ganon a sword user would be even pettier because he uses his sword for a grand total of 3 attacks, all reused animations too.

11-14 out of a roster of over 70 characters honestly isnt that bad....(also please tell me if Im missing anything)
If I may, why count Toon Link when you’re not counting Young Link? And Joker is most certainly not a Sword user. A knife is not a sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

At most you could count Ganondorf in Ultimate, Mii Swordfighter, Pit and Pitoo (D. Pit) and even then its not even a quarter of it.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
If I may, why count Toon Link when you’re not counting Young Link? And Joker is most certainly not a Sword user. A knife is not a sword.
Young Link has Links exact moveset (just without Dash Attack, Grab, and Bombs) while Tink has some differences
SPEAKING OF DASH ATTACKS I FORGOT DASH ATTACKS

Joker isn't a sword character yeah, but I've seen petty people complain

At most you could count Ganondorf in Ultimate, Mii Swordfighter, Pit and Pitoo (D. Pit) and even then its not even a quarter of it.
I aint counting Ganon, he has 3 attacks that use a sword that are stolen from Ike and Cloud.
Mii Swordfighter I simply forgot
The Pits are weird to me, its honestly strange to count them imo. I can see why, but it seems petty to me.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Interesting, but take with a grain of salt. Just so you know, it is neither the Slime nor the Luminary this person is talking about.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Interesting, but take with a grain of salt. Just so you know, it is neither the Slime nor the Luminary this person is talking about.

Its Torneko

D

Deleted member

What do we know about this Fadel?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Bucket of salt from me.

So now it’s tomorrow? I thought it was today. Oh well, makes sense since as off right now it should be around 4:41 am in Japan? Not completely sure.

D

Deleted member

Its the Descendant?

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Bucket of salt from me.

So now it’s tomorrow? I thought it was today. Oh well, makes sense since as off right now it should be around 4:41 am in Japan? Not completely sure.
Tweet was posted 19 hours ago, tourney is today bro

God, not another anime abacusman.
Jokes aside, I see it being Madason to tie in with the movie. Or Luminary.
Could also be descendant.
or they call him "HERO" in game and he got confused....

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I saw that, too. Don't know if we should take that guy seriously or not

D

Deleted member

Madason? I think there is a genuine case to be made - while 3 is the most broadly popular in the series (at least in Japan) 5 seems to be the favorite among the core fanbase on both sides of the world (Like how FF7 is the most popular FF but a lot of FF fans prefer 6 over it)

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

From what I've seen around this the person who made this tweet assumed it was someone else because of the way someone else talked about it, not because they said it's a surprise compared to erdrick. I havent looked too far into it tho.

Bucket of salt from me.

It's soon today.

D

Deleted member

Okay I looked into him. One, I think he's making predictions more so than actually leaking content. Two, he says in his predictions video at 8:20 that he thinks Erdrick and Banjo are coming so I don't know what the Hell he means in his tweet

Calane

Smash Ace

I'm going to call the Protagonist of DQ Builders.

He's got male and female versions as well, so it would even fit with Tansut's information.

(I hope it's not, because I'd much prefer we get a character from the main series).

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm going to call the Protagonist of DQ Builders.

He's got male and female versions as well, so it would even fit with Tansut's information.

(I hope it's not, because I'd much prefer we get a character from the main series).
You know, I've never played DQ Builders or DQ Builders 2. Is it any good? Is it like Minecraft?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
CardiganBoy CardiganBoy added to the supporter list, we reached a secret milestone of 80 supporters. and we're close to 120 pages,which was another one :p (not for any reason except they're cool numbers ;p)

You know, I've never played DQ Builders or DQ Builders 2. Is it any good? Is it like Minecraft?
Yes it's quite a bit like it, building things, but 3rd person and dragon quest stuff as an rpg adventure. s'fun. :)

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Never played it myself, unfortunately. I have to get around to that, lol.

I heard it was good, though.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Only played the first one, but I quite enjoyed it.

It's like Minecraft, but with goals. And the characters look nice.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
The Japanese audience of 2 seems to be REALLY enjoying
Sakurai has stated he became addicted to it...oh...oh no

D

Deleted member

The main difference between it and Minecraft is that DQB has an actual story (DQB1 ties into DQ1, DQB2 ties into DQ2). It generally feels.... I guess more focused than Minecraft, DQB basically pushes you in a certain direction while letting you decide how to take that path, and Minecraft is just do whatever you want.
I like both of them, but DQB is worth it alone for being a really cool take on DQ1's story after the hero joins the Dragonlord (not a spoiler, it's heavily implied right from the beginning)

D

Deleted member

Okay y'all, we're safe. He's not even 100% on his info being right. I think I'll trust Tansut over him given he doesn't really have a history of leaking anything according to his followers.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking a bit about weapons earlier, and I do really think Erdrick could easily have the other weapons he can use in the original game.
Instead of equipment change, I was thinking maybe there could be 3 or 4 weapons mixed in the moveset. A bit like we've talked about but more of the same ones (instead of more than those). Like a couple of axe attacks, obviously sword attacks, and a few Spear ones. Maybe one or two whip/flail.

I didn't talk about the boomerang because i think we have enough characters that have it, and magic could be more interesting.

I also had the thought that even Jab could be a weapon, like small axe swings.
F-tilt a spear thrust. Anyway. stuff like that :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay y'all, we're safe. He's not even 100% on his info being right. I think I'll trust Tansut over him given he doesn't really have a history of leaking anything according to his followers.

Really even if it's not Erdrick the possibility of any DQ character being so close makes me so excited. I feel like I'm gonna physically boil over, lol

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Oh it was gone and now it's back? Weird. Anyway, It doesn't make much sense to me to announce a characters at a tournament that not a lot of people will be watching. Tuesday makes more sense

Teeb147

Smash Legend

There's been some people piggybacking on what some potential leaker said, and i dont remember what i saw but some said that they mistook what he said, like just saying it wouldn't be expected like Slime.

I'm not sure, but all I'll say is no one should read too much into it.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Kind of, but it's a lot more focused. The story is actually pretty good too, much better and more DQ-like than either Heroes game.

I'd call it Minecraft meets DQ meets early Zelda meets ActRaiser, almost.

It will be that Roto/Loto guy, I bet.
Rotoloto? That's the guy who voices Frank West, right?

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Huh
Liam deleted his tweet to prevent people from harassing that guy, not as suspicious as I thought. fair reason.
I already planned on watching the tourney, but now I have a real reason too. I still don't expect a reveal however.

A DQ rep that isn't Erdrick?
That looks n othing like torneko...

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
So, Splatoon got announcements in their tournament, this could be the day.

And I figured out who it is. Here is a peek into the reveal

?: Do you want DQ content

User: No!

?: Oh...

BUT THOU MUST!

GwaelinChibi.png

Princess Gwaelin carries the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom