• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
On my searches today I saw some more cool pics. Not necessarily from this year. Here's some cosplaying (including luminary),
if anyone's interested (probably NomadLuminary NomadLuminary ;)):

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And here's a DQ4 puzzle:

Love that puzzle! Really dig those new outfits! Meena looks glam as heck. Alena is like a totally different character. What the heck is Kyril wearing, lol.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
By the way guys. I'm part of this twitch show called Day1Update that's basically a video game/tech newsshow. I'm working on a segment of Dragon Quest that should be happening tomorrow during the weekly episode 7:30 PM (MST).

I'm currently writing my segment rn but I'm also hoping to find visuals of why DQ is such a big deal. If you're all willing to watch I'd be so happy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
By the way guys. I'm part of this twitch show called Day1Update that's basically a video game/tech newsshow. I'm working on a segment of Dragon Quest that should be happening tomorrow during the weekly episode 7:30 PM (MST).

I'm currently writing my segment rn but I'm also hoping to find visuals of why DQ is such a big deal. If you're all willing to watch I'd be so happy.
Post a link when it's up.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Sure! Post the link whenever it’s up!

So safe to say at this point that nothing was announced on DQ day?
I think there was just an expansion to an already existing mobile game and a new mobile game to be announced in June.

Personally, that’s slightly more than I thought we’d get, which was... nothing. But it’s cool that DQ Day is at least a little acknowledged.

I’m just waiting for that Shonen JUMP announcement.

Edit: logo looks dope. Not sure how I feel about people saying it will supposedly be similar to Pokémon Go.
On one hand, this is what I wanted when I used to play Pokémon GO. Maybe I can customize my own DQ avatar in Toriyama style!
What if it’s a combination of DQ Swords (with touch controls) and Pokémon GO! That’d be awesome.

Attachments

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Post a link when it's up.
Sure! Post the link whenever it’s up!

I think there was just an expansion to an already existing mobile game and a new mobile game to be announced in June.

Personally, that’s slightly more than I thought we’d get, which was... nothing. But it’s cool that DQ Day is at least a little acknowledged.

I’m just waiting for that Shonen JUMP announcement.
Amazing thanks guys! Currently I'm trying to look into Dragon Quest day. Just trying to find if there was an actual convention there or if it was just a celebration all across Japan.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Amazing thanks guys! Currently I'm trying to look into Dragon Quest day. Just trying to find if there was an actual convention there or if it was just a celebration all across Japan.
I dont know if it'd be easy to find where there were actual conventions. My guess is that there would've been some, including based on some of the photos we saw, but i dont really know.

At the very least you could talk about the dragon quest museum. im sure that's a hot topic, and it was probably packed on dq day.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
There was a convention held on 25th. The actual day 27th was a normal working day.
People and companies and celebrities were celebrating the day on internet though.

Calane

Smash Ace
I think that's a neat idea. Though personally I dont like those types of auto-attacks, I like when people can see it coming instead of just a timing anyway.
Zap is probably the hardest spell to figure out what to do. I thought of just arching electricity going upward and away (before falling down?). dunno tho ;p
I imagine Zap would just work like this: Zap Animation Video

Of course, it probably wouldn't be so dramatic in Smash.

It'd probably just be an animation where Erdrick quickly points forward as a single focused lightning bolt strikes down in front of him.
DQ3-SNES-Zap.gif
DQ11-PS4-Zap.gif

Perhaps you could charge it into Kazap, and Erdrick would wave his finger in the air for as long as you held the button. Kazap would probably be more like a lightning shower than a single strike, so maybe it would be multi-hitting unlike the more focused Zap.
DQ6-SNES-Kazap.gif
DQ8-PS2-Kazap.gif

That's how I see it working, anyway.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
There was a convention held on 25th. The actual day 27th was a normal working day.
People and companies and celebrities were celebrating the day on internet though.
Thank you, good to know. Since I don't know too much of the topic, perhaps it's best I only talk about DQ day for a brief moment and focus on more on the importance of the franchise in general.

I dont know if it'd be easy to find where there were actual conventions. My guess is that there would've been some, including based on some of the photos we saw, but i dont really know.

At the very least you could talk about the dragon quest museum. im sure that's a hot topic, and it was probably packed on dq day.
Thanks for that, good thing there are photos of the museum in the internet. Hopefully this segment goes through, I worked hard on it and hopefully, it might bring more people into the franchise.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I imagine Zap would just work like this: Zap Animation Video

Of course, it probably wouldn't be so dramatic in Smash.

It'd probably just be an animation where Erdrick quickly points forward as a single focused lightning bolt strikes down in front of him.
View attachment 224869 View attachment 224870

Perhaps you could charge it into Kazap, and Erdrick would wave his finger in the air for as long as you held the button. Kazap would probably be more like a lightning shower than a single strike, so maybe it would be multi-hitting unlike the more focused Zap.
View attachment 224871 View attachment 224872

That's how I see it working, anyway.
Yeah that would be like my very first idea for zap, which could work a bit like palutena's side-b but with a lightning bolt like that.
Really though I'd like it not to come from the sky, because that'd be like pikachu. But I also dont want it to be straight like Robin, so that's why I was thinking it could arc from erdrick towards the sky and have a hitbox going there too, before hitting down.

thx for sharing all them animated gif ;p

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, with this Pokémon annoucement today, did you too think that the Geodude line having Explosion in they move list is inspired in the Rockbomb?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey guys, with this Pokémon annoucement today, did you too think that the Geodude line having Explosion in they move list is inspired in the Rockbomb?
You'd have to bring up a link or something, because i have no clue what announcement there was.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I saw it.

And I had never made the connection, other than Voltor being obviously Rockbomb’s inspiration. Though NOW I get why Geodude would have the ability to learn that move. :o

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
It looks like the conf they announce Let's Go, Quest and Untitled SwSh. They higher bets are on new Switch spin-offs and new mobage been announced today, as 06/06 they will have a Pokémon Direct.
Edit: Forgot to quote Luminary on this:
I'm not really into Pokemon, but I'll tune in if it means another headline for the show.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It looks like the conf they announce Let's Go, Quest and Untitled SwSh. They higher bets are on new Switch spin-offs and new mobage been announced today, as 06/06 they will have a Pokémon Direct.
Edit: Forgot to quote Luminary on this:
Well lets see if this will sway me into playing the series

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Well the PkC and :DeNA game surpassed my expectations for it and the Pokémon Home is everything I ever asked as a successor of Bank, as it's account linked now instead of save data+pass based and been fully updatable to future games.
Was super funny the sleep part tho, only PkC could pull that with a straight face xD And make sense with Nintendo strategy of life quality improvement things they are talking about. But I'm more happy for the memes it will bring xD
Edit: Also happy for Detective Pikachu Sequel, as I liked a lot the fist game(even only watching the cutscenes as a movie, as I didn't find it here. Funny enough I couldn't watch the actual movie till now).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It was mostly just mobile stuff (like expected), and nothing too special (tho yeah home is good for transfering). I'm more interested in Sword and Shield.

June's gonna be jam packed with goodies :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The event was weird in general, the sleep app sounds interesting. Also, I'm kinda not surprised about the gatcha given the popularity of some trainers.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I dont think it was supposed to be exciting. Unless you're into pokemon mobile stuff, which i'm not.
Yeah I was under the impression that it would be something a little more considering the people I talk to. Well if it's interesting to some people then it's interesting to them. I'll just wait till the direct or E3

The event was weird in general, the sleep app sounds interesting. Also, I'm kinda not surprised about the gatcha given the popularity of some trainers.
At least the key art for Pokemon Masters looks dope.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah I was under the impression that it would be something a little more considering the people I talk to. Well if it's interesting to some people then it's interesting to them. I'll just wait till the direct or E3

At least the key art for Pokemon Masters looks dope.
Yup. and like i was saying, no doubt june will be interesting :D

What was going to be on june 3rd again? I cant remember what it was but that's next week, and then pokemon on the 5th, and then e3 stuff after :grin:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Yup. and like i was saying, no doubt june will be interesting :D

What was going to be on june 3rd again? I cant remember what it was but that's next week, and then pokemon on the 5th, and then e3 stuff after :grin:
From what I recall in terms of DQ, the mobile game unveiling is on the 3rd of June.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Yeah i think that's all. I'm not too interested in mobile games but i'll be curious about the online (mostly japanese) reactions ;p
Yeah not too enthusiastic with mobile games, but I guess we shall see. We still got that Shonen Jump thing on the 10th so hell yeah

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would be hype for a DQ mobile game... if it came to the west.

They have like 4 now, they look amazing, and we can’t play them. D:

At least there’s so much to look forward to.

D

Deleted member

I'm back boyos, I kind of stepped away cause I was just growing more annoyed than anything with the current state of smash speculation. I'll probably just hang around here and avoid the rest of it.

As for what's currently at hand... I'm gonna predict that the Shonen Jump announcement coming up is somehow related to Dai no Daiboken - either that, or a new manga series. Whether the announcement coinciding with E3 is just a coincidence or it's just *that* big of a deal for the series, it'll still probably be really cool. Could also be related to a spinoff, be it info on the new DQM or a new game like Heroes 3.

And the announced mobile game.... I would be interested if there were any chance of it being localized, lol

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'm back boyos, I kind of stepped away cause I was just growing more annoyed than anything with the current state of smash speculation. I'll probably just hang around here and avoid the rest of it.

As for what's currently at hand... I'm gonna predict that the Shonen Jump announcement coming up is somehow related to Dai no Daiboken - either that, or a new manga series. Whether the announcement coinciding with E3 is just a coincidence or it's just *that* big of a deal for the series, it'll still probably be really cool. Could also be related to a spinoff, be it info on the new DQM or a new game like Heroes 3.

And the announced mobile game.... I would be interested if there were any chance of it being localized, lol
When it comes to the Shonen Jump announcement, something related with Dai no Daiboken is safe and I would be content with the idea of either: A sequel or some kind of story revival. However, my hopes is that we either get an announcement of a new DQ game or even a manga adaptation of one of the games (I would absolutely love a manga adaptation of Dragon Quest 11 by Dragon Garow Lee or something like that). Another idea is we get a new DQ manga entirely, something completely original and like Dai no Daiboken not related to the games at all. I would be very happy to see something like that come to life.

As for the mobile game, whatever it might entail, I hope it's good enough that it would actually interest me to buy it. I am personally not a huge fan of mobile games, but mobile or not, it's still a game and I'm always interested in games.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Would be awesome if they announce DQ Heroes III and Dai be one of the characters.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
why aren't the main heroes in more spin-offs I'd love to play as them more often

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
As we get closer to E3, and to that June Shonen Jump article, I have no idea how you guys are enduring. The hostility over the possibility of Erdrick being in smash is getting more and more intense here. Like it's all just seething.

Still, if there was ever a series with as good a chance as getting a character in, it's Dragon Quest. I don't see Kingdom Hearts having its own officially registered holiday.

Also I got a free level 80 Corvus in Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for Dragon Quest day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

why aren't the main heroes in more spin-offs I'd love to play as them more often
In games like Fortune Street and Heroes I think it's because a big part of them is dialogue and character interactions, and as well with Heroes their protagonists already are just like the standard hero archetype in their gameplay.
But that aside I agree hard. The only spinoff I can think of that does include them is the Monster Battle Road games but I hope they can find a way to incorporate them into a new game at some point.
As we get closer to E3, and to that June Shonen Jump article, I have no idea how you guys are enduring. The hostility over the possibility of Erdrick being in smash is getting more and more intense here. Like it's all just seething.

Still, if there was ever a series with as good a chance as getting a character in, it's Dragon Quest. I don't see Kingdom Hearts having its own officially registered holiday.

Also I got a free level 80 Corvus in Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for Dragon Quest day.
To be blunt, at this point I find it hard to give a ****. Some people have acted like entitled babies over this game since the beginning and it's not going to stop anytime soon. All we can do is just ignore it.
If someone doesnt want him for some reason or another then I can respect that, just as long as they're mature about it. Which much of this community absolutely isn't.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

I already expect this happening, and I see this happening even more if there's no MS character or it didn't been revealed before him. When the Hero be announced the hate will die off like the one for Piranha Plant as people will start to play with they and some Non-DQ fans start to maining they.
But what make me really nervous for the day is two things:
1- That if all this hate have any effect and they have changed the character.
2- In a worst case scenario where there's no DQ rep(I think also this mean no SE rep at all), the DQ community could be stigmatized after that :/

Also, nice catch.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just got my Anlucia figurine! She looks awesome!

I dont have something to take and upload pictures right now, but she looks just as good as the pics online or more :)
Everything being good gives me confidance to buy a bit more merch. Lookking for some plushies too.

That's all for now :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

It's there loss. I'm not interested in dealing with people who have nothing better to do in their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom