• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I actually kinda wish people wouldn't do that, because when you click the thread to "view new posts" is always loads the tweets after for some reason which pushes you backwards several posts so you're not actually at the first new post anymore. An in a thread like this where half the thread is twitter posts lately, it means I have to scroll halfway down the page to get back to the new posts.

At the very least, I wish people would put tweets in spoiler tags or something to prevent that.
I know, that's what I dont like about it. It's usually not an issue because we dont have as many. (except for a few times)

Some of the time it could be better to just post an image and have a raw link instead of the the twitter post.
Or even put things in spoiler tags. It has less impact like that tho :p

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Some of the time it could be better to just post an image and have a raw link instead of the the twitter post.
Or even put things in spoiler tags. It has less impact like that tho :p
Spoiler tag beats a raw link though, because at least you don't have to load up another page.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since we're on a new page I'm gonna post the sofia stuff i found. I'll put in spoiler tags for the tweets just to give darthender a break :p
The first one is new, and the other one isn't.

I'm curious if we only post images if it backs up the page or not.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All this fanart is incredible, and part of me hopes it only gets even more frequent if Erdrick is ever confirmed.
That's no doubt. Not just more japanese art, but then we'd actually see more in general too :)

So, since we didn't hear any news about the DQ collection, i think that'd be a nice announcement for e3.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That's no doubt. Not just more japanese art, but then we'd actually see more in general too :)

So, since we didn't hear any news about the DQ collection, i think that'd be a nice announcement for e3.
I'm sure we will, we are guaranteed DQ content during the next month. I'm curious to see what will happen on the 10th of June. And of course, hoping we see our boy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sure we will, we are guaranteed DQ content during the next month. I'm curious to see what will happen on the 10th of June. And of course, hoping we see our boy.
ahem, and girl ;)

But yeah I'm pretty sure there's bound to be dragon quest stuff. I just hope we dont get too excited from it and think it means something for the smash news, but .. of course it's good for it too XD

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
ahem, and girl ;)

But yeah I'm pretty sure there's bound to be dragon quest stuff. I just hope we dont get too excited from it and think it means something for the smash news, but .. of course it's good for it too XD
To be honest at this point, even if it doesn't happen, I'm still happy since this is the year where DQ became much more prevalent here in the west. It's a great start.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
D

Deleted member

I've been keeping silent primarily, but I really did appreciate the art spam today. A lot of great drawings.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be honest at this point, even if it doesn't happen, I'm still happy since this is the year where DQ became much more prevalent here in the west. It's a great start.
This. Our boy/girl in Smash is secondary to me to the joy of having the definitive edition of DQXI on Switch. And hopefully more slurprises.

The more I think about it, the more I need DQ8 3DS on Switch. Then again... I want them all. Especially IX in HD. It's my least favorite, but I believe a graphical overhaul and a new online system will benefit it immensely.

D

Deleted member

My brother just said that the president of SE said that they have no plans to put Sora in Smash.
I looked on Twitter and it's real.
Kingdom Hearts in Smash has slowly grown on me throughout this year, so it's a shame to hear Sora is not in Smash in any regard.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
As someone who dislikes blind Sora hate as much as blind Erdrick hate, the response to his possible deconfirmation on this thread is very nice to see. You guys seem pretty respectful about the whole thing.

Baby boy. Baby.
I mean I like to meme about it but I dont outright hate sora fans. I'm friends with them after all, plus in all seriousness everyone wants who they want. So just let them like what they like.

That picture is awesome!!! Where did you find these?
Twitter my guy. It's all Twitter.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I used to be a pretty big KH fan. Not my favorite SE ip, but I liked it.

But the idea of Sora, like Geno, in smash never really clicked with me, because I always wanted someone else.

During Brawl, I wanted Crono (still do).
During Smash 4, I wanted Chocobo & Slime (a’la Duck Hunt), and now I want a DQ character (or Crono).

But I’ve always taken the friendly rival approach. I don’t really hate an entire fan base, not even for a couple of vocal trolls.

I kind of regret following a particularly notorious Erdrick fan on Twitter who likes to wage war against people over Erdrick. I get the idea of defending our boy/girl, but going out of your way to ridicule others, isn’t the DQ way.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I used to be a pretty big KH fan. Not my favorite SE ip, but I liked it.

But the idea of Sora, like Geno, in smash never really clicked with me, because I always wanted someone else.

During Brawl, I wanted Crono (still do).
During Smash 4, I wanted Chocobo & Slime (a’la Duck Hunt), and now I want a DQ character (or Crono).

But I’ve always taken the friendly rival approach. I don’t really hate an entire fan base, not even for a couple of vocal trolls.

I kind of regret following a particularly notorious Erdrick fan on Twitter who likes to wage war against people over Erdrick. I get the idea of defending our boy/girl, but going out of your way to ridicule others, isn’t the DQ way.
I have a pretty good feeling I know who it is.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This. Our boy/girl in Smash is secondary to me to the joy of having the definitive edition of DQXI on Switch. And hopefully more slurprises.

The more I think about it, the more I need DQ8 3DS on Switch. Then again... I want them all. Especially IX in HD. It's my least favorite, but I believe a graphical overhaul and a new online system will benefit it immensely.
If you didn't have a battletoad in your sig, I'd thought of 'slurprises' only as a typo. I'm guessing it's still a typo XD
If it'd been a chrono trigger thread or something tho i might've thought differently.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If you didn't have a battletoad in your sig, I'd thought of 'slurprises' only as a typo. I'm guessing it's still a typo XD
If it'd been a chrono trigger thread or something tho i might've thought differently.
It’s a DQ thread! I thought the pun was pretty obvious referencing Slime. .D

Speaking of CT. I wonder which is considered to be the CT mascot? The Nu? Poyozo?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It’s a DQ thread! I thought the pun was pretty obvious referencing Slime. .D

Speaking of CT. I wonder which is considered to be the CT mascot? The Nu? Poyozo?
oh right. For some reason I never look at slimes as slurpers, even if ive seen that around.

and that's a good question in a way, i cant think of anything besides the main characters. poyozo does sound like the closest.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
For every new Erdrick follower. I'm gonna hit them with this piece of fanart.

IMG_20190528_002807.jpg

Welcome fellow luminaries!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, I decided for fun to look for erdrick art in japanese, and I noticed that when I used Roto (ロト) I didnt actually get a lot of results for erdrick. In fact I mostly got emblems and armor. I think it's possible that maybe they aren't referred to roto as often as we thought?

When I searched for Yuusha (勇者), even without putting dragon quest in I got results with erdrick, lol.
I wonder if this means that the character really could end up being called Yuusha/Hero.

Also, even though this was for some channel, I liked seeing a female version of the ol' art:

6958574i.jpg

Here's something extra, that was official. not sure what it is tho:

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
33th, not 33rd lol.
Duh engrish is real

So, I decided for fun to look for erdrick art in japanese, and I noticed that when I used Roto (ロト) I didnt actually get a lot of results for erdrick. In fact I mostly got emblems and armor. I think it's possible that maybe they aren't referred to roto as often as we thought?

When I searched for Yuusha (勇者), even without putting dragon quest in I got results with erdrick, lol.
I wonder if this means that the character really could end up being called Yuusha/Hero.

Also, even though this was for some channel, I liked seeing a female version of the ol' art:

View attachment 224804

Here's something extra, that was official. not sure what it is tho:
That is a really cool cover.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any references for Erdrick's shield? Specifically, I wanna know if the handle on the back is parallel to its sides or perpendicular to them.

On the Famicom art, it's parallel, as Erdrick is holding it in his hand. On the SNES art, specifically female Erdrick's art, she's wearing the shield on her arm.

The perpendicular handle seems to be the most common. It's also in his Battle Road Victory design.

From what I can tell, the upcoming figure seems to have some kinda mechanism to alter the handle's position. It's parallel on one photo, but perpendicular in another.

I'll include all the pictures I'm referencing in a spoiler tag, since there's a lot.

Here, it's parallel. He's holding it in his hand.
Then again, he could be holding it sideways, as shown here.

(Man, I love this art.)
Female Erdrick's holding it in her arm here. The handle is perpendicular.

The perpendicular handle seems to be the standard from this point on...

except when it isn't.

What?
In Battle Road Victory, Erdrick wears the shield on his arm again.

Finally, we get to the figure, which to my understanding is the only official modern depiction of this character since BRV.

Excuse the oversized image. Parallel here...

and perpendicular here.
The reason I ask is because it's an important aspect to consider when designing his animations for Smash. How does he guard himself? How does he use the shield to attack? How does he free his shield when he has to free his left hand? The parallel handle feels like it'd lead to more natural animations overall, but the perpendicular handle would make switching between handle-grabbing hand and free hand more believable.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any references for Erdrick's shield? Specifically, I wanna know if the handle on the back is parallel to its sides or perpendicular to them.

On the Famicom art, it's parallel, as Erdrick is holding it in his hand. On the SNES art, specifically female Erdrick's art, she's wearing the shield on her arm.

The perpendicular handle seems to be the most common. It's also in his Battle Road Victory design.

From what I can tell, the upcoming figure seems to have some kinda mechanism to alter the handle's position. It's parallel on one photo, but perpendicular in another.

I'll include all the pictures I'm referencing in a spoiler tag, since there's a lot.

Here, it's parallel. He's holding it in his hand.
Then again, he could be holding it sideways, as shown here.

(Man, I love this art.)
Female Erdrick's holding it in her arm here. The handle is perpendicular.

The perpendicular handle seems to be the standard from this point on...

except when it isn't.

What?
In Battle Road Victory, Erdrick wears the shield on his arm again.

Finally, we get to the figure, which to my understanding is the only official modern depiction of this character since BRV.

Excuse the oversized image. Parallel here...

and perpendicular here.
The reason I ask is because it's an important aspect to consider when designing his animations for Smash. How does he guard himself? How does he use the shield to attack? How does he free his shield when he has to free his left hand? The parallel handle feels like it'd lead to more natural animations overall, but the perpendicular handle would make switching between handle-grabbing hand and free hand more believable.
I say make it like typically holding a shield in real life. So that should be parallel.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Erdrick Mechanics set - Leveling up and MP systems

In this post I'm going to talk about 2 possible mechanics that could work for a dragon quest hero. It's not a moveset, but instead a mechanics set. Both Leveling up and having Mana points could work entirely seperately, but I decided to put them together here.

MP:
Mana points are used by magical spells, and maybe even some other attacks (like in order to turn them into more powerful skills.)
In order to avoid players being passive by regenerating mana automatically, regaining mp could happen on attacks that are landed. (Bonus: on level ups too)

Alternate idea: Fast automatic mp regeneration.

Level UP:
The hero character would gain exp in order to level up and gain boosts, at least on attacks as well as higher max mp. (speed and knockback possibly too?)
Smash has all kinds of matches (long and short), which means the mechanic has to be limited in some way in order to prevent a character from being overpowered on longer matches, and allow shorter matches to be balanced as well. This can be done by either a low level/strength cap, or resetting levels each stock, or losing 1 level when losing a stock along with a cap.
Gaining exp to level up would be on attacks landed, in addition to some other actions. so that even matches with short stock counts would allow to level up.

Stats
Lvl1(base):
example tilt-attack: 10% dmg
max mp: 10

lvl2: 12% dmg & 12 max mp.
lvl3: 14% dmg & 14 max mp.
(etc)

Magic
(example) Sizz using 2mp. Zap using 4 mp. etc

MP regen per hit: 2 or 3 mp depending on which attack. And no regen on magic attacks.
extra -> mana regained on level ups: 4-5 mp

EXP
exp needed to level up: 100 (lvl2) -> 150 (lvl3) -> 200 (lvl4) -> etc
(note: that's for if exp points get back to 0 on a level up.)

Exp gained per attack or spell landed: 30 pts
on shield: 5 pts
on grab: 5 pts
on throw: 20 pts
on KO: 80 or 100 pts ?
on item pick-up: 5 pts ?

So, starting out, the hero would need about 4 normal hits for the first level up, but then that would increase by around 2 each time. (so getting to level 3 from lvl2 would take 5 or 6 clean hits). Other actions would give some exp too, but not as much as getting a clean hit or ko.

Everytime someone would get a normal hit, we could see either near it or near the hero's portrait how much exp and mp were gained, either with numbers or bars, or both.
It could feel like attacks in rpgs that give back some mp, as well as gaining something towards leveling up.

This is one way that the mechanics could work in smash, and there are a few ways to design it so that the character is balanced. I think my favorite is a combination of both a low enough level cap (anywhere between lvl 4 to 9 or 10), and losing a stock removing a level or 2. Resetting back to lvl 1 when losing a stock could be fine too if the character is designed with fast levelling in mind.

thanks for reading ;)

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

In this post I'm going to talk about 2 possible mechanics that could work for a dragon quest hero. It's not a moveset, but instead a mechanics set. Both Leveling up and having Mana points could work entirely seperately, but I decided to put them together here.

MP:
Mana points are used by magical spells, and maybe even some other attacks (like in order to turn them into more powerful skills.)
In order to avoid players being passive by regenerating mana automatically, regaining mp happens on attacks that are landed. (Bonus: on level ups too)

Alternate: Fast automatic mp regeneration.

Level UP:
The hero character would gain exp in order to level up and gain boosts, at least on attacks as well as higher max mp. (speed and knockback possibly too?)
Smash has all kinds of matches (long and short), which means the mechanic has to be limited in some way in order to prevent a character from being overpowered on longer matches, and allow shorter matches to be balanced as well. This can be done by either a low level/strength cap, or resetting levels each stock, or losing 1 level when losing a stock along with a cap.
Gaining exp to level up would be on attacks landed, in addition to some other actions. so that even matches with short stock counts would allow to level up.

Stats
Lvl1(base):

(etc)

Magic

MP regen per hit: 2 or 3 mp depending on which attack. And no regen on magic attacks.

EXP
(note: that's for if exp points get back to 0 on a level up. Else add 100)

on KO: 100 pts ?

So, starting out, the hero would need about 4 normal hits for the first level up, but then that would increase by around 2 each time. (so getting to level 3 from lvl2 would take 5 or 6 clean hits). Other actions would give some exp too, but not as much as getting a clean hit or ko.

Everytime someone would get a normal hit, we could see either near it or near the hero's portrait how much exp and mp were gained, either with numbers or bars, or both.
It could feel like attacks in rpgs that give back some mp, as well as gaining something towards leveling up.

This is one way that the mechanics could work in smash, and there are a few ways to design it so that the character is balanced. I think my favorite is a combination of both a low enough level cap (anywhere between lvl 4 to 9), and losing a stock removing a level or 2. Resetting back to lvl 1 when losing a stock could be fine too if the character is designed with fast levelling in mind.

thanks for reading ;)

Cool concepts. The MP system is pretty similar to what I envisioned, actually.

Speaking of which, who was it that suggested we should all make Erdrick movesets on a specific day? I don't remember if it was on DQ day or Roto day. I've workshopped mine to the point that I'm satisfied with it, I think.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Cool concepts. The MP system is pretty similar to what I envisioned, actually.

Speaking of which, who was it that suggested we should all make Erdrick movesets on a specific day? I don't remember if it was on DQ day or Roto day. I've workshopped mine to the point that I'm satisfied with it, I think.
It was I dad. I must see everyones creativity rofl.

MP:
In order to avoid players being passive by regenerating mana automatically, regaining mp happens on attacks that are landed. (Bonus: on level ups too)

Alternate idea: Fast automatic mp regeneration.

Level UP:

Stats
Lvl1(base):

(etc)

Magic

EXP
(note: that's for if exp points get back to 0 on a level up. Else add 100)

on KO: 100 pts ?

This is one way that the mechanics could work in smash, and there are a few ways to design it so that the character is balanced. I think my favorite is a combination of both a low enough level cap (anywhere between lvl 4 to 9), and losing a stock removing a level or 2. Resetting back to lvl 1 when losing a stock could be fine too if the character is designed with fast levelling in mind.

thanks for reading ;)

I really like this. How about a level cap of like 10?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It was I dad. I must see everyones creativity rofl.

I really like this. How about a level cap of like 10?
Ya 10 would be fine. I just figured 9 is simple, and like often in rpgs max level was 99, etc. But i think 10 sounds good too :D

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ya 10 would be fine. I just figured 9 is simple, and like often in rpgs max level was 99, etc. But i think 10 sounds good too :D
Maybe a decent aesthetic idea to that, is have Erdricks weapons slowly change to show the lvl up. Like he starts with the cypress stick and max level is the sword of light. Or we could just keep it simple where the sword slowly glows with light and Erdrick gets a red aura like in that gif you sent me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe a decent aesthetic idea to that, is have Erdricks weapons slowly change to show the lvl up. Like he starts with the cypress stick and max level is the sword of light. Or we could just keep it simple where the sword slowly glows with light and Erdrick gets a red aura like in that gif you sent me.
I dont think it would work to have a different weapon per level. But if they'd bother making equipment i think it'd be pretty dope to be able to switch manually :)

And Yeah i guess that'd look cool if erdrick would glow a bit more with each level. Could feel more powerful, not quite like goku but people would have to feel a bit like that XD

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I dont think it would work to have a different weapon per level. But if they'd bother making equipment i think it'd be pretty dope to be able to switch manually :)

And Yeah i guess that'd look cool if erdrick would glow a bit more with each level. Could feel more powerful, not quite like goku but people would have to feel a bit like that XD
Eh it's fine, if anything itll be just like DQ8 where eight turned super saiyan once he reached lvl 100 tension Haha.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Eh it's fine, if anything itll be just like DQ8 where eight turned super saiyan once he reached lvl 100 tension Haha.
Well tension's still possible too. That or Pep could be its own set of mechanics. Probably not going to write some myself, but the idea is there :)

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

Switching weapons would be a nice visual indication of his level, I think. At least, as long as it's restricted to swords. He could have the weakest sword at level one, represented by that one sword we see in his SNES art, and the Sword of Light at max level.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Under a hypothetical MP system, I think Zap would be a good choice as the spell that costs the most MP but is one of Erdrick's hardest hitting attacks. Perhaps it could target the opponent that Erdrick last attacked, with the thunderbolt striking nearly instantly (though the opponent should be able to dodge or shield from it if their reflexes are good enough). I believe it'd be a good way to differentiate it from Pikachu's Thunder and Robin's Thunder.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Under a hypothetical MP system, I think Zap would be a good choice as the spell that costs the most MP but is one of Erdrick's hardest hitting attacks. Perhaps it could target the opponent that Erdrick last attacked, with the thunderbolt striking nearly instantly (though the opponent should be able to dodge or shield from it if their reflexes are good enough). I believe it'd be a good way to differentiate it from Pikachu's Thunder and Robin's Thunder.
I think that's a neat idea. Though personally I dont like those types of auto-attacks, I like when people can see it coming instead of just a timing anyway.
Zap is probably the hardest spell to figure out what to do. I thought of just arching electricity going upward and away (before falling down?). dunno tho ;p

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just wanted to share this.

It's pretty rare to see DQ covers. And even rarer to see DQ 6 covers! Glad to see 6 getting some love.

... is it just me or does this fit in a classic Doom game?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
On my searches today I saw some more cool pics. Not necessarily from this year. Here's some cosplaying (including luminary),
if anyone's interested (probably NomadLuminary NomadLuminary ;)):

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And here's a DQ4 puzzle:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom