• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If things finally go right in my life when DQB2 releases, maybe we could all play together through the online mode.

Of course, if I can convince my parents to buy both the game and an online subscription.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
If things finally go right in my life when DQB2 releases, maybe we could all play together through the online mode.

Of course, if I can convince my parents to buy both the game and an online subscription.
That would be fun ngl! I need to play the og Builders more but I'm already preoccupied with Dragon Quest 3 atm.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

i'm no good at building games but it sounds like fun also we're getting DMC 1 on switch this summer some think that its a quick way to get the series on switch so they could get him in smash which i would believe that wish they just ported 1-3 though in a collection instead of just the one game pretty crapcom

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
i'm no good at building games but it sounds like fun also we're getting DMC 1 on switch this summer some think that its a quick way to get the series on switch so they could get him in smash which i would believe that wish they just ported 1-3 though in a collection instead of just the one game pretty crapcom
Another character I really want in Smash. I'm surprised the SMT thread has been silent about it. That or I just haven't been getting any notifications from them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Another character I really want in Smash. I'm surprised the SMT thread has been silent about it. That or I just haven't been getting any notifications from them.
The SMT thread has something to do with DMC?

On another note, I wanted to find even more japanese polls about games and they're pretty hard to find searching in english, but there's other famitsu polls, and this one is the top 100 favorite games:
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Famitsu_Japan's_100_favorite_video_games

I think it's cool to find DQ3 so high up when it's not just top rpgs, but all games. Japan really likes their rpgs tho :O :)

Edit: I decided to add two famitsu surveys near the top of the OP. That way people can easily be directed there if they dont know how popular of a game it is in japan ;)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The SMT thread has something to do with DMC?

On another note, I wanted to find even more japanese polls about games and they're pretty hard to find searching in english, but there's other famitsu polls, and this one is the top 100 favorite games:
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Famitsu_Japan's_100_favorite_video_games

I think it's cool to find DQ3 so high up when it's not just top rpgs, but all games. Japan really likes their rpgs tho :O :)

Edit: I decided to add two famitsu surveys near the top of the OP. That way people can easily be directed there if they dont know how popular of a game it is in japan ;)
Yeah Dante is considered one over there since he showed up in Nocturne. Also just seeing that list just always reminds me that Dragon Quest 3 is still important. Also:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah Dante is considered one over there since he showed up in Nocturne. Also just seeing that list just always reminds me that Dragon Quest 3 is still important. Also:

I see. I almost played Nocturne, I'm surprised I didnt know dante was in a version of it. Well, since it's just a side character that doesn't have a real story in the series, it's not that important. But it does make me wonder about Joker's gameplay. Like, did they intentionally make his gun play have dante vibes?

Also, for the famitsu survey, I'm glad to see so many DQ games in there. And that VII is so high. I think japan likes 7 more than over in the west. Im pretty curious to try the remake.

D

Deleted member

I see. I almost played Nocturne, I'm surprised I didnt know dante was in a version of it. Well, since it's just a side character that doesn't have a real story in the series, it's not that important. But it does make me wonder about Joker's gameplay. Like, did they intentionally make his gun play have dante vibes?

Also, for the famitsu survey, I'm glad to see so many DQ games in there. And that VII is so high. I think japan likes 7 more than over in the west. Im pretty curious to try the remake.
VII remake fixes a few issues like giving hints for the tablets and also improving the pacing at the start.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
DQVII is good, but it's not for everyone. It's long and slow-paced and highly episodic and you have to scour the world for progression items and it uses DQVI's vocation system and there's a maximum-intensity tsundere sassing at you the whole time. If it hits all your sweet spots there's a lot of fun to be had there, but I totally get why some people aren't into it.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
DQVII is good, but it's not for everyone. It's long and slow-paced and highly episodic and you have to scour the world for progression items and it uses DQVI's vocation system and there's a maximum-intensity tsundere sassing in your ear the whole time. If it hits all your sweet spots there's a lot of fun to be had there, but I totally get why some people aren't into it.
The class system is the best thing about it ;) 6 and 7 have the best ones because you dont need to reset any levels or anything.
I dont really get why some people arent into it, myself. I found it fun to actually explore to find what was needed. I think streamlined rpgs where you just follow directions are boring. Altho, I dont like when I have no leads at all, so the remake sounds up my boat (I've probably forgotten most of what to do anyway ;p)

Maybe japan being so much into rpgs shows that you have to like rpgs to like 7 somewhat. Just guessing, since lots of them like it.
If you look at western rpgs, it's a lot more action based, like blizzard and bethesda games. There's also less story and dialogue to go through maybe.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
if Dante gets in then I'd be happy I know a lot of SMT fans aren't really happy with jokers inclusion some wanted JackFrost (which I think would be a terrible choice same with slime) I think it would make them happy heck the memes from it would be great alone and if we could get someone from SMT and not persona the jokes would be better Dragon Quest, Devil may Cry, Shin Megami Tensai & Persona they would be killing the great Japanese franchises picks if only we could get Ryu maybe Terry Bogard Lloyd I'd be pretty happy so bonus echos for sheik and Bayo and boom

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Found some more really cool artwork:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Now Dante is a probably lock in a Fighter Pass Season 2. I'm pretty happy with this.

Edit: Oh, you guys have already talked about that today? I didn't receive a notification that was new posts today.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Now Dante is a probably lock in a Fighter Pass Season 2. I'm pretty happy with this.
Why would Dante have a chance? I think there's even interviews and stuff people use to say he wont be in.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

Edit: Oh, you guys have already talked about that today? I didn't receive a notification that was new posts today.
So I take it when a third party franchise gets a major release on the Switch, it's a confirmed lock for the Fighter Pass? Okay.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Why would Dante have a chance? I think there's even interviews and stuff people use to say he wont be in.
So I take it when a third party franchise gets a major release on the Switch, it's a confirmed lock for the Fighter Pass? Okay.
It's just 'cause the DMC series Director said that he had interes in Dante be in, but before a proper DMC title should arrive in a Nintendo Console. Was more a joke the part of him been a almost lock, I'm just happy that now he have a chance in a future season.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's just 'cause the DMC series Director said that he had interes in Dante be in, but before a proper DMC title should arrive in a Nintendo Console. Was more a joke the part of him been a almost lock, I'm just happy that now he have a chance in a future season.
That makes sense.
If there's future fighter passes then yeah dante could have a chance. I dont expect it for him, but at least the fanbase can speculate about it.

I really hope myself that there's future years of dlc too. There's lots of characters that could be fun in smash.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
That makes sense.
If there's future fighter passes then yeah dante could have a chance. I dont expect it for him, but at least the fanbase can speculate about it.

I really hope myself that there's future years of dlc too. There's lots of characters that could be fun in smash.
There's at least more two very likely Fighter Pass to the near years. Those 16 slots(10 empty for now) in the data have a enormous chance to all been used in DLCs, as with they we have a total of 100 characters.(95 Originals+5 Echo).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's at least more two very likely Fighter Pass to the near years. Those 16 slots(10 empty for now) in the data have a enormous chance to all been used in DLCs, as with they we have a total of 100 characters.(95 Originals+5 Echo).
It's not uncommon to leave open slots just in case, without plans to use them. It could be the only year we have dlc for the game.
But frankly now that we know that Smash Ultimate is already the one in the series that sold the most, I think it's also in their interest to plan more fighter passes. And, of course, I hope they do ;)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The count is sorta wrong. It’s 92.

85 “Slots” + 7 Echoes. Of course that 85 could decrease if some becomes echoes, regardless... large number, borderlining onto MUGEN levels.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Those 16 slots(10 empty for now) in the data have a enormous chance to all been used in DLCs, as with they we have a total of 100 characters.(95 Originals+5 Echo).
I'm hoping those slots are used up. I love Dante but I don't think he'll be in this pass. Probably either pass 2 or the next game. Of course if he is in the pass I'll welcome him with open arms.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
The count is sorta wrong. It’s 92.

85 “Slots” + 7 Echoes. Of course that 85 could decrease if some becomes echoes, regardless... large number, borderlining onto MUGEN levels.
Damn I got wrong the Echoes amounts and it messed my pre 16 add count. :/

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Smash 4 have an unused Mario slot?

Either way, The idea of a second Fighter's Pass isn't that strange to me. Fighting games are kind of expected to receive long term support these days, especially if they are series that have large time gaps between major releases. Plus, Furukawa stated that extending the shelf life of major releases through DLC will be a major strategy for Nintendo.

The only reason I could see DLC stopping after one pass is because Sakurai wants out. While I'm sure he loves his job, he's been developing Smash consistently since Kid Icarus Uprising finished development in 2012. Given the fact that Sakurai is kind of an auteur developer, I could see him being frustrated by working on one series for so long. After all, that was the reason he left HAL and Kirby in the first place, he was tired of developing sequels.

Then again, he also stated that he enjoyed developing Smash for's DLC because it was a much more lax process than creating a full game, so maybe he really is in it for the long haul?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Smash 4 have an unused Mario slot?

Either way, The idea of a second Fighter's Pass isn't that strange to me. Fighting games are kind of expected to receive long term support these days, especially if they are series that have large time gaps between major releases. Plus, Furukawa stated that extending the shelf life of major releases through DLC will be a major strategy for Nintendo.

The only reason I could see DLC stopping after one pass is because Sakurai wants out. While I'm sure he loves his job, he's been developing Smash consistently since Kid Icarus Uprising finished development in 2012. Given the fact that Sakurai is kind of an auteur developer, I could see him being frustrated by working on one series for so long. After all, that was the reason he left HAL and Kirby in the first place, he was tired of developing sequels.

Then again, he also stated that he enjoyed developing Smash for's DLC because it was a much more lax process than creating a full game, so maybe he really is in it for the long haul?
Where's the statement about Furukawa if you don't mind me asking, that's actually something I haven't really thought about. If that is indeed the case, more fighter passes baby.

D

Deleted member

I feel that the reason Sakurai returns everytime to Smash, is that its a one of a kind project. After all, what other videogame franchise lets you use pretty much every Nintendo franchise plus many iconic and not so iconic characters overall?

It's an enviable position in that regards (not so much in the workload).

I think that Sakurai has pretty much the freedom to do what he wants post finishing the fighter pass, I think he has a few projects he wants to do but also I can think that if he is interested he will continue working on the DLC if he wants to. While Nintendo stated that the DLC plans are probably for the long run, I don't know how viable the game would end in the long run as, the more characters added there's a lot more work to balance the game.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Many thanks my friend. Also that pfp makes me think about how I still need to finish Earthbound ROFL.

I feel that the reason Sakurai returns everytime to Smash, is that its a one of a kind project. After all, what other videogame franchise lets you use pretty much every Nintendo franchise plus many iconic and not so iconic characters overall?

It's an enviable position in that regards (not so much in the workload).

I think that Sakurai has pretty much the freedom to do what he wants post finishing the fighter pass, I think he has a few projects he wants to do but also I can think that if he is interested he will continue working on the DLC if he wants to. While Nintendo stated that the DLC plans are probably for the long run, I don't know how viable the game would end in the long run as, the more characters added there's a lot more work to balance the game.
I feel like with enough support, a game like this will last far longer then even Melee. With Smash 4, that game literally died fast. Same with Brawl.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
RE: Dante in Smash speculation

I don't think it will happen. Not everything is Smash related and this seems to be more testing the waters rather than full fledged support.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I have to assume this is going to be the whole HD collection. Nobody would ever buy DMC2 by itself if they released them all separately.

Dante's not my absolute most wanted or anything, but I like DMC and it'd be rad to have Dante and Bayo in the same roster. He seems like one of the more likely Capcom candidates, but I don't think this news makes much difference either way, no matter what anybody's said. Stuff like the DMC HD Collection that's been ported to everything tends to end up on Switch too after a while. I was surprised to learn a while ago that it hadn't been ported already.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I see the support list has finally updated...

Do you mind if you add me on there? Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mind if you add me on there? Thanks
You are always welcome!

We are also debating the idea of playing DQB2 together through the online mode this summer, if you are interested.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If there's a direct this month I'm thinking there's some decent chances for some DQ news, hopefully the 1-3 collection like some people talked about :)

You are always welcome!

We are also debating the idea of playing DQB2 together through the online mode this summer, if you are interested.
I hadn't thought about that. I wanted to go back to builders 1 first before 2 (slowly), so not sure i'll be in time for it. Well anyway i'll see later when we know more.

Do you mind if you add me on there? Thanks
Was waiting for you to mention it to add you.
grats you're lucky number 69 on it ;)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
If there's a direct this month I'm thinking there's some decent chances for some DQ news, hopefully the 1-3 collection like some people talked about :)

I hadn't thought about that. I wanted to go back to builders 1 first before 2 (slowly), so not sure i'll be in time for it. Well anyway i'll see later when we know more.

Was waiting for you to mention it to add you.
grats you're lucky number 69 on it ;)
Even if we don't get DQ news on Nintendo Direct (unlikely but what if), we got DQ day to be excited for too. It would be crazy if we get a Dragon Quest 3 remake but that's like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too unlikely atm.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even if we don't get DQ news on Nintendo Direct (unlikely but what if), we got DQ day to be excited for too. It would be crazy if we get a Dragon Quest 3 remake but that's like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too unlikely atm.
Oh yeah, i dont think a direct is guaranteed, it's just cool to think about :)
Heh, we never know, but the most im expecting is the trilogy collection. Would be nice if there'd be a bigger collection too, but I do think 'something' will show up this month one way or another, hopefully ;)

D

Deleted member

When does DQ day land?

I may try to be online here most of the time if possible to celebrate it with the people from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom