• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Maybe I’m the future.

My, that was it for DQ? Two games we already know about? That’s kind of sad.
Show’s not over yet so there may still be hope.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It was only announced for the PS4 though. Maybe it'll get announced for the Switch tomorrow?
The Switch version was announced a while back and is releasing in July.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Glad dragon quest builders 2 was featured a good amount.

Down time with Avengers right now ;p

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It was only announced for the PS4 though. Maybe it'll get announced for the Switch tomorrow?
It's already out on Switch and PS4 in Japan, and it was announced for the west at the last Nintendo Direct.

I've got the Switch version preordered, so it'd better exist.

...oops, slowpoke again.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Would anybody like to play it with me when it comes out? It probably wouldn't be very fun playing alone

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I was hoping for a brand new Dragon Quest game to be announced, or like a compilation of ports of older games, but I guess not, oh well.

That said, the Builders showcase reminded me that, while I haven't played any DQ spin-offs yet, when I do get to playing the spin-offs I'm definitely playing the Builders games first. As someone who fell off of Minecraft because I'm not the creative type, "Minecraft with goals and a gorgeous cel-shaded art style with beautifully realized DQ monsters" sounds like a winner for me.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Would anybody like to play it with me when it comes out? It probably wouldn't be very fun playing alone
Sure thing. You (as well as anyone else here) are free to add me on Switch. My code is: SW-2215-0173-2152

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Squares E3 press con was the only one i actually enjoyed

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Sure thing. You (as well as anyone else here) are free to add me on Switch. My code is: SW-2215-0173-2152
Okay thanks :) I'll do that. The last thing I want is to be playing DQ Builder 2 and...building by myself. Sorry, I haven't played the first one so I don't know much about it, besides what I saw today

My Switch FC is 3044-7219-1427 if anyone wants to add me

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't that interested in a lot of what they showed, but I wasn't really bored. For being a million hours long it went by pretty quickly, and bookending it with the Big Deal Games was wise. Very glad they kept the dumb corporate speeches to a minimum.

Good enough / 10

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Not the Smash reveal?
I mean, eh?
Erdrick is the only reveal that would net a reaction from me. Im really hoping he's revealed, but I do have to agree with people on the fact revealing a popular Japanese character at a Western event seems weird. Unless we get a double reveal with Banjo.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean, eh?
Erdrick is the only reveal that would net a reaction from me. Im really hoping he's revealed, but I do have to agree with people on the fact revealing a popular Japanese character at a Western event seems weird. Unless we get a double reveal with Banjo.
Yeah, I get what you mean. If it's not Erdrick, I won't really be all that excited either. Just kinda like, "okay"

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Anyone else feeling underwhelmed with this year's E3 so far. I personally enjoyed some of it but I'm pretty neutral with the rest of it.

D

Deleted member

Anyone else feeling underwhelmed with this year's E3 so far. I personally enjoyed some of it but I'm pretty neutral with the rest of it.
I thought Microsoft and Square were good. And to be fair those are the only two I’ve actually watched. Though I haven’t heard good things about Bethesda and Ubisoft this year and I don’t really know any information about the others. Of course, the main event of E3 for me is tomorrow morning ;)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah most of the games haven't interested me. But that's probably because most of the games I play are very niche and don't make enough money to afford to show at E3

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I usually don’t pay much attention to anything other than Nintendo.

This is the only year where I bat an eye for Xbox conference for Battletoads alone. And while I appreciate the fact that it’s back to cartoony designs, I have to admit it looks animation looks a little choppy and cheap.
Still, I liked it.

Over at Bethesda all I really wanted to see was Doom which did not disappoint. And a little Wolfenstein.

Ubisoft I never watch.

And Square Enix... well... too little Dragon Quest so I was disappointed. I would have liked to see the Seiken Densetsu trilogy there at least.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So I was just thinking... since SquareEnix showed off a trailer for DQXIS during their E3, do you think that means Nintendo won't talk about it since SquareEnix already did?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So I was just thinking... since SquareEnix showed off a trailer for DQXIS during their E3, do you think that means Nintendo won't talk about it since SquareEnix already did?
I feel they will. Nintendo will probably reveal the release date.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm thinking there's still a chance for the Mana collection on the switch, but i did think we'd see it today. So long as it does come i can be patient for it, but it'd be nice to show :p

I was hoping for a brand new Dragon Quest game to be announced, or like a compilation of ports of older games, but I guess not, oh well.

That said, the Builders showcase reminded me that, while I haven't played any DQ spin-offs yet, when I do get to playing the spin-offs I'm definitely playing the Builders games first. As someone who fell off of Minecraft because I'm not the creative type, "Minecraft with goals and a gorgeous cel-shaded art style with beautifully realized DQ monsters" sounds like a winner for me.

I still think this is good, because the DQ collection would be best to show at the nintendo presentation anyway. At least, that's a hope I have for it.
I think everything rides on nintendo. And it's still possible to get a double reveal too. And it's definitely not impossible to 'just' get erdrick too. hard to tell what's going to happen.

I just think it's pretty open, and i'm very curious to see what they're going to go with. There's a small part of me that's a bit anxious, but i think it'll be fine and i'll be able to enjoy well enough in any case ;p

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I still think the ball's more in Nintendo's court than SE's on that. The XI S trailer today didn't show anything new, and I think some news in June was promised at the last Japanese stream, so yeah, I expect to see it in the Direct tomorrow. Builders 2, maybe not.

It's silly to speculate on the eve of the big day, I guess, but whatever. Here's a half-baked stage idea:

Basically just Kalos Pokemon League, at least in theme. The very final boss area from DQIII, with Zoma slouching on his throne in the background, watching the match. He summons bad guys from across the series to manipulate the stage in a themed way, along with with some regular monsters who hang out with them in the background to give a little sampler of monster designs. I feel like that's appropriate for him, since in DQIII he makes you go through three bosses in a row before he'll fight you himself.

Bishop Ladja (DQV): Appears with flamethrowers, drackies and firespirits. Sets platforms on fire with his notorious kafrizzle.

Gracos (DQVI): Appears with seaslimes, mermen and khalamari kids. Summons a flood from the bottom of the stage.

Dhoulmagus (DQVIII): Appears with chimaeras, wailin' weeds and dragonthorns. Grabs platforms with thorny vines and moves them around.

Ragin' Contagion (DQIX): Appears with bubble slimes, walking corpses and funghouls. Summons a cloud of poison to cover part of the stage.

Gyldygga (DQXI): Appears with gyldenbritches, gyldenauts and goodybags. Drops piles of treasure on the stage, and maybe gives out the gold powerup from Golden Plains.

...of course you could use basically anybody, but I tried to think of a good cross-section of major bosses and mid-range losers. I've always had a soft spot for Ragin' Contagion, but he probably wouldn't actually show up. Gyldygga either, since she's sort of a spoiler, but her GOOOOLD theme is unique and fun.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Look on the bright-side
SE is actually marketing Dragon Quest in the west now (at-least more commonly), this is good.
There will probably be a bit more on Builders 2 and XI-S during Nintendos E3, im still hoping our boy gets his time to shine

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Look on the bright-side
SE is actually marketing Dragon Quest in the west now (at-least more commonly), this is good.
There will probably be a bit more on Builders 2 and XI-S during Nintendos E3, im still hoping our boy gets his time to shine
I know they said they wanted to market it more in the west, but did they used to not show off any Dragon Quest at E3? Is that their way of marketing it more in the west now?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I know they said they wanted to market it more in the west, but did they used to not show off any Dragon Quest at E3? Is that their way of marketing it more in the west now?
Square Enix only started doing their own show last year, and DQ sure as heck wasn't showing up on Sony or Microsoft's stages. We didn't even get most of the 3DS games, so it wasn't in many Nintendo Directs either. The bare minimum is a huge step up, sad as that sounds.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Welp, gonna wake up early tomorrow to go to my favorite local diner for my favorite breakfast to eat while watching the Nintendo Direct.

I'm afraid I need to confess something: I keep telling myself that Erdrick, or any DQ character, is not confirmed, and to remember to keep my expectations in check...but excitement for this Direct has been welling up within me for months. Even though I know there's a chance that there won't be any DQ content in the Direct, or any DQ characters for Smash, I can't stop this feeling that something good for DQ is gonna happen tomorrow.

I'm doing the best I can to suppress my excitement, I don't want to get burned like the poor Grinch believers did, but I'm just so darn antsy right now. If my excitement gets out of control and I get disappointed should no DQ character in Smash or general DQ content in the Direct happen, I know I'll only have myself to blame. In that case, I'll make sure to get over my disappointment before posting here, because we all need to be positive regarding a DQ character's chances and I don't want to go against that.

Gonna check Smashboards a little before the Direct but after that I'm gone till it ends.

So yeah I'm excited I'm gonna sleep but I might not who knows aaaaaa

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Look on the bright-side
People actually cheered too. And I thought the west didn't have any DQ fans :3

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Square Enix only started doing their own show last year, and DQ sure as heck wasn't showing up on Sony or Microsoft's stages. We didn't even get most of the 3DS games, so it wasn't in many Nintendo Directs either. The bare minimum is a huge step up, sad as that sounds.
I definitely remember SE having their own E3 conferences prior to last year.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The west didn't get most of the 3DS Dragon Quest games?

D

Deleted member

Feeling excited for tomorrow(although I wont be able to watch it due to my job :b), hopefully we will get exciting DQ related reveals which seems quite likely given that DQXI S has a stream later on the month.

If I'm being honest, I need to make a confession about something silly that I though before and gave me hope for an Erdrick reveal back during the speculation:
Even if it sounds kinda prideful and totally reaching, back when the Grinch hoax was on, one of my reasons to not believe on it apart from the whole shadiness of it was that I believed that a character was missing from the picture (you know who I'm talking about ;b). And this character was in the center of the mural invoking the lightning.

While this sounds really silly, it's one of my beliefs that in the mural there is going to be someone invoking the lightning at the end and I hope that its Erdrick.

So no matter what happens tomorrow or if Erdrick or any other protagonist or slime comes, I'm glad of belonging to this fanbase and let's hope that whatever happens good things come to the DQ fanbase.

D

Deleted member

The west didn't get most of the 3DS Dragon Quest games?
We missed out on DQM Joker 3, remakes of DQM 1 & 2, Rocket Slime 3, and Eshop ports of DQ1-3. Most of them have fan translations though.
Also the 3DS version of DQXI, but XIS has all of its content leaving it more or less obsolete anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I definitely remember SE having their own E3 conferences prior to last year.
Huh. I thought last year was the first time. Did they skip a few years, or am I just crazy?

We missed out on DQM Joker 3, remakes of DQM 1 & 2, Rocket Slime 3, and Eshop ports of DQ1-3. Most of them have fan translations though.
Also the 3DS version of DQXI, but XIS has all of its content leaving it more or less obsolete anyways.
Also Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, and I think a streaming version of DQX? Can't really blame them for those. Still really bitter about Monsters, though.

And DQVII was three years late, basically just an apology release. That whole generation was a huge bungle, and I think the series would be in much better shape these days if SE and Nintendo hadn't abandoned it for so long.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is depressing to think about.
All of these amazing games flying under the radar because they’re not released here.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I knew it was gonna be meh with the other companies cuz there getting ready to show off consoles and stuff they gotta hide the goods hopefully Nintendo delivers

D

Deleted member

Sparse announcements that I like, I'm kinda surprised that most of the things I've liked the most were the guests (Keanu and the Tango Gameworks Lady) than most of the games. I feel that most of the games are not surprising due to knowing them already or being a bit underwhelming.

It says a lot that my favorite conference so far is SE.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Sparse announcements that I like, I'm kinda surprised that most of the things I've liked the most were the guests (Keanu and the Tango Gameworks Lady) than most of the games. I feel that most of the games are not surprising due to knowing them already or being a bit underwhelming.

It says a lot that my favorite conference so far is SE.
I think Avengers was the most underwhelming to me.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Welp. Couldn't sleep that well last night, but I expected as much.

I'm not sure why, but Nintendo Directs always give me genuine nerves. I feel this way even if it's for a game I'm not particularly excited about, but still interested, like Pokemon SWSH. This time, this Direct is gonna deliver what I've been anticipating for months: the next character, so I'm extra nervous.

So much so that I woke up three hours early to go to the bathroom. I'm feeling better now after some breathing exercises, but I'm not sure if imagining the best case or worst case scenario would calm me down more (and by worst case, I mean least interesting).

An absolute dream scenario for me is Erdrick being announced alongside Ninten as a Ness echo (Famicom boyz) and Fighters Pass 3. And a Mother trilogy port wouldn't hurt.

How do y'all feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom