• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

Esca

Smash Champion
Basically if your descending and your momentum is right, quarter circle left down b.

Lol sounds confusing but it's basically mirror shielding then pushing the opposite direction your facing almost instantly.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
one thing i dont understand and has been driving me mad for ages is cancelling. how do i cancle things? can everything be cancled?
Canceling= ending the move before the complete move's duration.

Sakurai took of L canceling and added auto canceling to a lot of moves. Not every move.

Samus's and Falco can cancel the animation of their projectiles if they change the timing of their attack to landing.

Pit has a lot of landing lag on his aerials if the hit box is out. 2 known moves that pit can cancel is:

Wing of Icurus- Sliding off a platform or stage before he jumps in the air. Or When pit is does a wing dash, which no landing lag if done perfectly. All dair's in the game autocancel before the hitbox is out, its weird, but it helps for the wingdash.

Glide attack- While gliding, if you attack during or at the same time as you land, the hitbox still hits but the move is canceled freely to do another command immediately afterward.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I got a question. When playing vs a Marth while running away for a retreating pivot arrow is 1/4 the size of FD a good distance, I see it being as a good thing to be about the range of dk's ftilt a good distance. Also is Wingdashing recommended vs Marth as it can make it harder for him to space if used correctly?

Esca

Smash Champion
Against Marth, you have to play as least flashy as possible. Focus more on connecting moves and leaving yourself less open is the key to the matchup. Another weakness Marth has is pretty bad game against grabs. Grabs throw off Marth's positioning decent well, ESPECIALLY if he's above you. If you throw a Marth UP, He can either:

A) Airdodge back down, which will result in a grab.
B) Dair you, which can be powershielded and punished tremendously, even for a kill at high %'s.
C) Jump and try to find a better place to land, in which case you can still follow under him and attempt another grab.

As far as arrow distance goes, I'd say half the stage. Marth is decently mobile and can punish an arrow that closely. I'd say the length of a battlefield platform (1 1/2 DK ftilt ranges) would suffice to being a completely safe arrow. However, I would stay further away than that if possible.

Wingdashing is sort of useful I guess, however I don't input it in my game. I think a bigger mindgame is standing still, TBQH. Wingdashing to abuse spacing issues is not recommended though. If you wingdash out of a tippered fsmash you can't punish it. Just learn to powershield really. Easier said than done, I know, but it pays off.

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
Against Marth, you have to play as least flashy as possible. Focus more on connecting moves and leaving yourself less open is the key to the matchup. Another weakness Marth has is pretty bad game against grabs. Grabs throw off Marth's positioning decent well, ESPECIALLY if he's above you. If you throw a Marth UP, He can either:

A) Airdodge back down, which will result in a grab.
B) Dair you, which can be powershielded and punished tremendously, even for a kill at high %'s.
C) Jump and try to find a better place to land, in which case you can still follow under him and attempt another grab.

As far as arrow distance goes, I'd say half the stage. Marth is decently mobile and can punish an arrow that closely. I'd say the length of a battlefield platform (1 1/2 DK ftilt ranges) would suffice to being a completely safe arrow. However, I would stay further away than that if possible.

Wingdashing is sort of useful I guess, however I don't input it in my game. I think a bigger mindgame is standing still, TBQH. Wingdashing to abuse spacing issues is not recommended though. If you wingdash out of a tippered fsmash you can't punish it. Just learn to powershield really. Easier said than done, I know, but it pays off.
he hit it on the head with a hammer :]

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Is there a list of the characters that pit can chain throw with fthrow?
Uhhh i could make a list but most of them can be f throw to f-smash.

Snake, Falco, Solo Climber at 0%, Marth (only on Yoshi's or any stage with a slope), D3, G&W(fthrow f-smash works better), Pit, Rob, Dk, Fox, Wolf, Charizard, Bowser, Ike (he could jab you around 20%), Link and Ganon. I'm pretty sure this is the correct list if any1 should be taken out or added feel free to.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Uhhh i could make a list but most of them can be f throw to f-smash.

Snake, Falco, Solo Climber at 0%, Marth (only on Yoshi's or any stage with a slope), D3, G&W(fthrow f-smash works better), Pit, Rob, Dk, Fox, Wolf, Charizard, Bowser, Ike (he could jab you around 20%), Link and Ganon. I'm pretty sure this is the correct list if any1 should be taken out or added feel free to.
Thanks, and those could be either F-throw chains or F thor to fmash? also, dash attack?

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Majority of them can be fthrow chain grab, But it's better to get an insured 30% from f-throw , f-smash. Than risking a Missed grabbed thus getting punished, as for dash attack I wouldn't use unless your near the edge as people can still hit you while falling down at lower percents.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
You can fast fall at any point after the peak of your jump, as long as you're not performing an action that effects your momentum in such a way as to override the fastfall.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
earlier it was mentioned that up throw is great against marth. i tried it myself and it is BROKEN. i was wondering if pit has something like that on all characters? except mk of course

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
Two questions: How many people here use Angelic Step as part of their play style? How Bout wingdashing?

Ive started to incorperate Angelic Step at least out of spot dodging, still working on it out of other attacks. I like it thus far, but Im curious if/how other people tend to use it.

Same with wing dashing, which I find much more iffy and matchup specific.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Two questions: How many people here use Angelic Step as part of their play style? How Bout wingdashing?

Ive started to incorperate Angelic Step at least out of spot dodging, still working on it out of other attacks. I like it thus far, but Im curious if/how other people tend to use it.

Same with wing dashing, which I find much more iffy and matchup specific.
i dont use angelic step.

i do use wingdashing for a surprise punish. like projectiles and recovering onto the stage ect. its also good for retreating.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
Yeah I feel wingdashing is best for retreating or against some projectiles... Angelic step is sexy though. You should try it for spacing the good ol' Fsmash.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I never angel step. I only wingdash to taunt, or sometimes to approach Oli if I think he's going to Fsmash or Dsmash, since the wind effect removes the hitboxes from those moves.

Esca

Smash Champion
earlier it was mentioned that up throw is great against marth. i tried it myself and it is BROKEN. i was wondering if pit has something like that on all characters? except mk of course
Right? LOL he can't do anything! It's decent against Snake as well Guero, so try it out next time. Just be weary for his back air.

Two questions: How many people here use Angelic Step as part of their play style?
Angelic step is actually amazing if you can incorporate it/space with it right, I just never do for some reason. :(

Why do you say Lucario is good with Pit?
Pit is a character that strives most on the ledge. Lucario benefits from lost stocks and his partner keeping them. If a Pit is good enough at staying away/annoying the opposition, then it's a very tough team to beat.

I only wingdash to taunt.
This.

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
I don't use angelic step, too much input and I fail at it. Simple as that, only a mind game tool but it takes too long. That's how it is for me, I can do it.. just I don't find time in doing that during a match. Spacing is much more appropriate or spamming arrows. Just something flashy imo, like arrow looping more than one arrow. (tho that looks cooler <3)

I use wing dash more than angelic step, I don't use it enough though. It isn't JUST for a taunt imo.

Jump from ledge > Wing Dash. You are on the stage with little lag (at least for me)

Wingdash on a banana (on the ground) = "taunt" + spacing(little bit) + grab of diddy item.

IMO I think we should Wing Dash more than most do. If we do it right it can stop most things, it cancels out projectiles right? If we get the timing right it pushes away opponents as well messing up their spacing, i find it harder for it to work on someone like marth (ground game) but for other chars like diddy and falco I think it works better.

Rule to go by from what I noticed is NEVER approach snake unless it's a kill. The length of his arm is the same as our weapon -.-; and grenades hurt.. grabs/neutral A/ Arrow spam is the way to go. You don't want to get locked into a grab with snake.. arrow spam is the way to go.. (good arrow spam)

(whoops went off topic there) and if anyone hasnt noticed Arrow>motor slide get snake on a huge as stage or an aerial stage. :p Pit works best in large stages

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
Question: Out of these stages (except Rainbrow Cruise that's a players first ban choice when i fight with him -.-) which would be a recommended pit stage. I'd choose DK place if it was allowed though.. lol!

Delfino Plaza
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1 (Melee Version)
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Rule to go by from what I noticed is NEVER approach snake unless it's a kill. The length of his arm is the same as our weapon -.-; and grenades hurt.. grabs/neutral A/ Arrow spam is the way to go.
Nair? that has little range... i think it does. is that strictley for arial combos? alsoi never know what to do when snake has me cornered on the edge of the stage. i can always be gay on the ledge but are there other options?

Top Bottom