• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

Esca

Smash Champion
Guys, I don't know how to back air. I just realized I never use it because I don't know the correct spacing.

What are the most often situation you guys use bair? Also, are there any tricks with sweetspot bair? Like what platforms can you safely cancel a falling bair on? Are there any low % follow-ups y'all typically use?

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Sour spot bair has more uses than fishing for a sweet spot really. Only times I actually specifically go for a sweet spot are when I air release wario or when I read an airdodge.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Guys, I don't know how to back air. I just realized I never use it because I don't know the correct spacing.

What are the most often situation you guys use bair? Also, are there any tricks with sweetspot bair? Like what platforms can you safely cancel a falling bair on? Are there any low % follow-ups y'all typically use?
Only your typical strings for me. I've done d-throw to utilt to stutter step backwards charge fsmash wait for AD. Good low%mix up on characters that can't be chaingrabbed like zss, diddy, and pika. Then there's the dair to footstool combos :awesome: And chaingrabs. Then theres nair to utilt to utilt to either regrab or uair. Dair usually combos into itself at low %. Same with fair.

I find myself landing bairs when i read a jump or fake them out. It's a super good move when used like that. Also when they are on the platform bair shield pokes SUUUUPER EAASY. Jump towards them, then wait, then jump again and bair and it will poke quite often. Wing stall can help with the shield part. Cuz usually if i come down with Wing lunge fairs enough i can wingstall instead...wait it out for a sec and then ff bair and it works quite nicely. Also if you read a run up spotdodge or grab when your near the edge you can run off sh bair them.

Vex does the shieldpoke bair in here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBSLt90xmSA

Also, this one reason i now LOVE lylat and frigate. The slants make a SH bair come out towards the feet which is sooooo godlike.

One thing i like to do is after i knock someone up immediately up-air 3 times.
The fourth time just bait the obvious action and bair. Usually by 3 times you've conditioned them to expect the pattern of uair after the KB.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
What I said is mindgames and fishing for a kill. Sour Spot bair leads into more things at lower percents, also it leads to more things if it's stale at 35%-55%. Bair is hard to land correctly, sadly it's our best killing move in terms of knockback, and the fact that it's an aerial. If Pit's F-smash had that same knockback I wouldn't even stale it.

Edit: Uair to Bair, is ment for killing. Not to rack up damage. Sorry if I didn't make that clear I kinda skimmed on what esca said and read, "Whats a good way to land a Bair"

You have to Whiff to Uair too.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
easy way to land it is if people are following you, run off the edge and jump back and bair them. out of dthrow. the easiest way to land it at higher percents is either DI behind them when they hit you with a low knockback move and buffer it or when you fall through/get knocked off a platform. oh yeah and to punish recovery moves like falco's and fox's and also to punish laggy moves.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
by the ****ing way, how do you keep a good position with pit spacing wise? because the way im trying just isn't working. i guess either playing marth corrupted me or i just don't get the concept at all but isn't spacing when you always try to hit with the tip of your attack to keep the opponent away from you? or is that seriously just for marth and i don't know how to space with my own main nor get the concept at all?

seriously im tired of being known for good arrow control and failing everywhere else. i wanna be known for being good at EVERYTHING with pit, and everyone i play who beats me tells me "you need to learn how to space and zone better, and how to mix it up. BUT YOU HAVE AMAZING ARROW CONTROL"

**** my arrow control. i don't care near as much about that as if people would specifically tell me my player flaws, and if spacing and zoning are those problems as well as mixing it up (which i honestly don't know how to do, i tend to think "it worked then, it will work now because it is the correct option for this action" yet i know im just gonna get read and hit. it's weird, like i said i know they will do something differant to get my reaction, but i don't know what to do differantly in a lot of situations because i don't get to play a wii more than once every few weeks).

pluss, im officially pissed off now and ranting aimlessly at failing against leaf because i don't ****ing get the pikachu MU and even though i did better against players like razer and jerm than he does, i still have yet to beat him and im honestly like 2 seconds away from giving up pit because im not sure if he is the right character for me anymore. im so ****ing pissed that i can play real hard and really improve as long as i get to play at least twice a week, like at HoM2, and then if i get no practice and go play people i not only suck as a player again, i see myself sucking and don't know what to do about it even though i've passed this hurtle several times before. seriously im so close to just dropping pit for MK because im tired of not being able to keep up with how advanced pit is too play while not getting enough time to actually stay good with him whereas MK takes almost no skill to play at high level.

i mean i don't want to drop pit or anything but im just getting so worn out and frusterated at switching from playing like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4iAr6lXYWU

to playing like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8h4GLxn9M

it's the same MU, but i just ****ing fail because of my player flaws when i get too worked up or i don't get practice (inb4sameday, it's just a ****ing example). seriously so much in a terrible mood brawlwise after last night.

on the bright side, i got a new job today and am quitting target. still ragin on my horrible decrease in player skill in just 2 weeks. ****ing pissed

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
by the ****ing way, how do you keep a good position with pit spacing wise? because the way im trying just isn't working. i guess either playing marth corrupted me or i just don't get the concept at all but isn't spacing when you always try to hit with the tip of your attack to keep the opponent away from you? or is that seriously just for marth and i don't know how to space with my own main nor get the concept at all?

seriously im tired of being known for good arrow control and failing everywhere else. i wanna be known for being good at EVERYTHING with pit, and everyone i play who beats me tells me "you need to learn how to space and zone better, and how to mix it up. BUT YOU HAVE AMAZING ARROW CONTROL"

**** my arrow control. i don't care near as much about that as if people would specifically tell me my player flaws, and if spacing and zoning are those problems as well as mixing it up (which i honestly don't know how to do, i tend to think "it worked then, it will work now because it is the correct option for this action" yet i know im just gonna get read and hit. it's weird, like i said i know they will do something differant to get my reaction, but i don't know what to do differantly in a lot of situations because i don't get to play a wii more than once every few weeks).

pluss, im officially pissed off now and ranting aimlessly at failing against leaf because i don't ****ing get the pikachu MU and even though i did better against players like razer and jerm than he does, i still have yet to beat him and im honestly like 2 seconds away from giving up pit because im not sure if he is the right character for me anymore. im so ****ing pissed that i can play real hard and really improve as long as i get to play at least twice a week, like at HoM2, and then if i get no practice and go play people i not only suck as a player again, i see myself sucking and don't know what to do about it even though i've passed this hurtle several times before. seriously im so close to just dropping pit for MK because im tired of not being able to keep up with how advanced pit is too play while not getting enough time to actually stay good with him whereas MK takes almost no skill to play at high level.

i mean i don't want to drop pit or anything but im just getting so worn out and frusterated at switching from playing like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4iAr6lXYWU

to playing like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8h4GLxn9M

it's the same MU, but i just ****ing fail because of my player flaws when i get too worked up or i don't get practice (inb4sameday, it's just a ****ing example). seriously so much in a terrible mood brawlwise after last night.

on the bright side, i got a new job today and am quitting target. still ragin on my horrible decrease in player skill in just 2 weeks. ****ing pissed
Ya i seem to have this trouble with pit as well. Not the pika thing. Or the wanting to drop him thing. And i already use mk :). Just the spacing thing.

When i get my newest vids i really want Luckay, pitzr, and esca to tell me my player flaws and pit flaws. Granted im surprised im even getting better at this game since i only play once every 1-2 weeks sometimes with wifi and against players that are only of my caliber and don't get to train with the best like they do lol. sadface.jpg...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
good morning pit boards. now that i've taken luckay's advice and slept, while i was sleeping, i happened to sober up! it was amazing, first i was drunk ragin about hating about wanting to drop my favorite character in brawl who fits me better than any other character, and now im sober! the results of being sober are amazing because i once again enjoy everything about pit and hate/despise/*insertsomethingbowlrelatedhere*/loath metaknight. my spacing/zoning still sucks balls and pikachu ****s on my day player skill wise but hey, im not ragin no more. never fear, i don't have it in me to drop pit, hes just too good :roll:

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I have to transition from Spacing with Roy to spacing with Pit which is kinda hard as well. I can't really explain it. You should look at the vid of Pit's hitboxes and try spacing with that. If not, Just remember Slow jab is amazing :)

Zulo

Smash Ace
Hey Maharba, you should look at the Featured Topic on the top right about zoning/spacing in Melee. It's a different game, but the essentials are the same. The first video on that thread especially. Really helpful guide.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I love how a hitbox vid has over almost 2000 views and we're almost non-existent haha. Awesome vid.

Ftilt2gud

Glari lolzy

Dair was interesting cuz that delay b4 the final part comes out.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
So I'm finally back to playing after a long absence due to finances. In addition to now being scrubby as all hell, it seems that I missed some things while I was gone.

Namely, our matchup with Olimar being even. I apparently missed some revelation. Couldn't find anything big in the Oli matchup thread, though... what'd I miss?

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Olimar.. It so ugh. I need to figure it out. Like I understand what I have to do but I can't apply it in the situation where they need to be applied.

Esca

Smash Champion
I have zori/skypirate practice.

Against Olimar, seriously spam the **** out of upb. It is the sole factor to help you win that MU.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
What does woi do in that mu? Does is break grabs or throw off the pikmin or something because I play logic and he pretty much wins effortlessly.
It throws pikmin away if he Side-Bs or Fsmashes, and removes the hitbox if he Upsmashes or Dsmashes. Can still jab/grab though.

Esca, are we talking about Wingdashing or just doing it off the ground -> Aerial? I tried incorperating Wingdashing into my Oli strategy for a while but ended up just getting grabbed all the time so I stopped. Though that was quite a while ago.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
lol.... indeed.

ugh.... are numbers are so meh tbh. the only spike in pit success is in march, aka whobo3 *looks at esca*

is anyone else just straight up unable to see past their opponent as a character with options and thus be unable to read them? idk why but like against everyone it's like im always picking what should be the best option in the given situation (whether it's there stage position or move choice) but they all say it makes me predictable. so what does that imply i shouldn't always go for the most logical option at the time or what's the deal? i got the spacing thing down (i think) but it just doesn't matter against metaknight or texas top players (doesn't matter if gnes is using marth or fox or diddy apparently, i can tell that im just free anymore).

so blargh meh :urg:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
lol.... indeed.

ugh.... are numbers are so meh tbh. the only spike in pit success is in march, aka whobo3 *looks at esca*

is anyone else just straight up unable to see past their opponent as a character with options and thus be unable to read them? idk why but like against everyone it's like im always picking what should be the best option in the given situation (whether it's there stage position or move choice) but they all say it makes me predictable. so what does that imply i shouldn't always go for the most logical option at the time or what's the deal? i got the spacing thing down (i think) but it just doesn't matter against metaknight or texas top players (doesn't matter if gnes is using marth or fox or diddy apparently, i can tell that im just free anymore).

so blargh meh :urg:
There's no such thing as a "best option" in X scenario. It comes down to outsmarting your opponent. In many situations, I'm sure there are at least 2-3 different options/ways you can go about things. You have to mix it up and not be "typical" with Pit. That's some advice that Tearbear gave me--he said not to be "typical" with Pit because he is a pretty basic character-moveset wise. Also, the top players are a lot smarter than you atm, so you should be asking advice on what you can do better and how you can get smarter/improve.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
is anyone else just straight up unable to see past their opponent as a character with options and thus be unable to read them?
that would be me. i cant read people ever :(
the only time i ever get a punish in, it's because they either used a move with way too much lag that i randomly didnt get hit by, or i just threw a move out and they walked into it.

Esca

Smash Champion
What does woi do in that mu? Does is break grabs or throw off the pikmin or something because I play logic and he pretty much wins effortlessly.
Yeah, the wind pushes them away, moves the usmash away, etc.

Upb stall is beast because it baits a usmash every time.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I took Logic to game 3 last time me and him played. :/ It's not that bad luckay you gotta play gay.

Oh btw.. http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12804085&postcount=621 I lol'd at my name
I never said it was that bad, saying its not even anymore. You clearly didn't win that set you were talking about from idk forever ago so not really a good argument. It's not like I'm getting 3 stocked by him, olimar just seems like he can control the area of the stage he is in and it's hard to get in.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
olimar is a demon from darkest depths of hell created by by the devil and spongebob and sent into this plane to destroy all things good while looking and being ****ed up and gay.

Top Bottom