• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
As i get better with Pit I am wondering what techniques are going to help me most and if any are worth learning.

So my question is: can arrow looping be put to good use or is it just a technique that is fun to show off. I'm going to my first tournament this Saturday and wondering if it would help me any to learn how to sufficiently arrow loop before the tournament.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
A lot of what Pit has is basically flashy because they don't really work together. The best arrow looping can do right now are mindgames and some surprise damage to unsuspecting opponents.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I think i may work on my accuracy with the arrows, but arrow looping seems like an unneeded skill that is pointless to learn unless you just want to show off to your friends.

EDIT: Also.. what are the best techniques that i should be learning to prepare for my first tournament?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Hmmm, if you are planning to grab a ledge, use WoI to speed up that process when you are next to it because of its insane sweetspot range. Use arrows in the air instead of fair if they are just out of range, is about as effective. If they enjoy grabbing, spotdodging, or shielding a lot, abuse AR, Nair to Uptilt, and jab infinites on them to stop any other bad gameplay. The final thing is to know that it's your first tourney so don't expect too much out of it and always be aware of every playing style you meet so that you can learn them and how to counter them more than you could before.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
AR is the abbreviated form for Pit's glowing, spinning Side-B move known as Angel Ring. I can't get more specific than that

Little Devil

Smash Cadet
Now, my question:

My friend playes only Zelda. I played Pit since Brawl came out, which means I am able to do all of his ATs even while sleeping (^^).
I know that Zelda is someway helpless once she is in the air, as long as I am diagonally abover her (Dair) or she is diagonally above me (Uair) because she cant attack me. So, when I fight my friend I try to get him in the air to get nice damage.
The problem: Zelda is a moving fortress. Her U-Smash, U-tilt, F-Smash, F-tilt and Nayrus Love all have soo much range and priority that I have big problems approaching her from the air. Her neutral-A is too quick to allow me to grab and U-throw her. Her Dins and Nayrus shut down my camping, or at least they slow it down. I cant glide because of Dins and Uair.
He never uses D-Smash, D-tilt, and N-air (dont ask me why, I dont know). He is ****ing good at landing F/B-airs and D-air spikes.

What could I do to overhelm his Zelda? I tried a lot of things, but nothing really works -.-
Thank a lot^^

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@Little Devil: You need to get Zelda above you, and you can do that with D-tilt, D-throw or U-throw. Other moves seem much more risky due to Zelda's range.
And no, you're not supposed to glide in this matchup, sometimes waiting and punishing Zelda can be good. The Nayru's Love can be Shieldgrabbed, so wait for its hitboxes to go away, then punish.
Someone else can help u on this.

@ChokE: You arent the only one that hates this annoyin char, but I will say this now... NEVER approach with SH N-air. You'd most likely get shieldgrabbed or hit by a Usmash and usually would die from it. Spammy grabs, I see them, we generally cant approach without getting hit by one of his ranged attacks or grabs.
I personally cant explain this due to my own personal problems against them, but just try to focus on getting him off the stage, then gimp him good.
Note: Mirror Shield is better to reflect thrown Pikmin, but is it worth it when an Olimar can rush to grab you if he sees this? Tempting decisions, I know.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
We already know that Pit's downtilt spikes both foreward and with his back to the edge.

Now my question is, which works better? Does a dwntilt spike with his back to the edge work better than a regular dtilt?

Edit: When is the most appropriate time to arrow loop? Meaning do I loop the arrow intentionally from the start or do I loop the loop after the arrow misses?

rinoH

Smash Lord
use it usually if it misses and im prtty sure it is much easier to spike with pit facing the enemy

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
There really shouldn't be a question about this because no one is going to get hit by D-tilt on the ledge unless they are having a seizure or something because every player knows that it is only asking for trouble to have yourself lose the invincibility frames you get when you grab the ledge.

Little Devil

Smash Cadet
@Admiral Pit: Thanks a lot, Ill try this.

@Sync: Link has a similar Dtiltspike. The Linkboard thread is here: Klick me!
You can do the things with Pit the same way.

Now for the arrow looping: for me it depends on where your enemy is. If he is far away and/or small, looping the arrow intentionally from the start would result in missing your enemy. In this situation I woul just shoot it, and maybe loop it when it misses.
But when your opponent is far away and/or fat so you wont miss if you immediately loop the arrow, do it. If he dodges just proceed looping it, if not, youll hit him.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
@ Little Devil
Thanks for answering and providing the link. I'll be sure to read over once I get the time.

@DemonicTrilogy
I suppose I was bit vague in my question. Yes I am aware that good players will see a dtilt spike coming when they're hanging on the ledge, but suppose the opponent is either recovering or jumping back to the ledge or falls right behind you, with your back facing the edge, some players may assume that you'll be preparing a bair. Would a dtilt spike be useful if properly timed? But I suppose there are better options then the spike alone.

And thanks for the word on arrow looping and the best time to use it. I'll be sure to put what I have just read into my game.

Another quick question while I'm posting. If I were to post a video of myself playing and I want to get it critiqued, then where should I post so it won't seem as spam?

Son1x-

Smash Apprentice
Bowser, DK, Snake and few more heavier ones. I believe only Bowser(?) is true CG though, others are escapable, just harder.

Seiya7

Smash Apprentice
does anyone know how Rogue placed at CoT4? or any other pits that attended?

just curious thats all

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
If anything you can see that in the tourny results thread, or just ask him this thread is not for random question.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I have trouble on doing arrow layering (the name people persisted...). Whenever I do it, my arrows go way too high and I only can see them do loops high in really large stages... Does anyone exactly know how to time them? Also, does anyone know where the analog should be pointing when you start shoot the second and future arrows?

Riku00

Smash Ace
Ok there is this guy that just cremed my Pit with GaW, and i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Any one else he uses i can beat, just not his GaW. and i mean he cremes me, as in 2 stocks me every time. it's like his playstyle completely changes and no matter what i do, no matter how much i change up my game he always wins. And now its affecting me. i change the way i play so much since i fought him, i think i actually have gotten worse.
What am i supposed to do?

Afropony

Smash Lord
Ok there is this guy that just cremed my Pit with GaW, and i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Any one else he uses i can beat, just not his GaW. and i mean he cremes me, as in 2 stocks me every time. it's like his playstyle completely changes and no matter what i do, no matter how much i change up my game he always wins. And now its affecting me. i change the way i play so much since i fought him, i think i actually have gotten worse.
What am i supposed to do?
Try and get some videos up for us so that we can see what exactly he is doing to you.

Riku00

Smash Ace
Try and get some videos up for us so that we can see what exactly he is doing to you.
i have one replay, but i don't remember what stage it was on. I [rpbably am gonna look like i suck because of the way his GaW was intimidating me, but i'll still show Ya'll. i just need some one to help me post it. I'll see if i can get it posted on the official Pit Video critique thread.

EDIT: NVM it's not there. I must not have recorded it.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
I was talking with a ganondorf user about the uses of their uptilt, and he informed me that the wind effect in the move counted as 2 separate hitboxes, thus refreshing 2 move slots.

WoI creates a windbox upon activation.

Wingdash next to opponent = refreshing one moveslot?

madival

Smash Cadet
Where are all the big tournements in the south east? I Dont hear anything about them and I really want to test my skill in a big tournement. anyone have ideas for any more big ones. (Ps this may be wrong place for this, not sure.)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@ Karasux: A power character to make up for Pit's poor KO power. This would make Donkey Kong, Wario or Bowser a good idea, maybe D3. Well, I would have said Ike, but his recovery is a bit more on the bad side.
Or I would go Double Pit and humuliate the other opponents. Double the angels, double the fun, double the "Nice Try!" and Double the "You're not ready yet!" oh, how those sound so elegantly glorious!

Seiya7

Smash Apprentice
Where are all the big tournements in the south east? I Dont hear anything about them and I really want to test my skill in a big tournement. anyone have ideas for any more big ones. (Ps this may be wrong place for this, not sure.)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216278

this is a BIG tournament happening in April in Houston, Texas

theres like a grand added to the pot and split between the top 7 i believe cuz of a nissan contract and if they get a headcount of over like 300 guaranteed players its possible that they may get 2 grand and split it with the top 13 placers.

you should go kown and I will be reppin pit there :)

also it seems that some big name players will be attending already plus many more video game tourneys will be happenin like SF4, TvC, GGAXC, Tekken, Soul Calibur 4

blukberry

Smash Cadet

theres like a grand added to the pot and split between the top 7 i believe cuz of a nissan contract and if they get a headcount of over like 300 guaranteed players its possible that they may get 2 grand and split it with the top 13 placers.

also it seems that some big name players will be attending already plus many more video game tourneys will be happenin like SF4, TvC, GGAXC, Tekken, Soul Calibur 4
Why dont they organise a big tourny on wifi.
im not rly rich so i dont get the oppurtunity to go places just for a tourny :(
i mean if the new generation console has wifi why not use it??????

madival

Smash Cadet

yeah, but thats a 10 hour+ drive to get there. anything closer then that would be better O_o.

Top Bottom