• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
yeaaaa look at how ACTIVE it was!! besides, it was being used by people who already know the rules we just enjoy it.
All I did was my job, and if people posting in there knew the rules they wouldn't have been posting in there. Like I said im sorry and I have put the links to the chart room in the OP of this thread, and the U guide.

If i didn't close it another mod would have. We already knew that the thread was boarder line anyway. And we have the pool room for that kind of talk.

This thread is about asking questions not kown's thread 2.0, please stop posting about it in here if you have any questions or what ever feel free to PM me. I will start handing out points for spaming this thread if more posts come up telling me to open it up again.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
I just started to 2nd Diddy kong after watching Ninja Link's Diddy beast m2k's metaknight... metaknight is the ONLY character that i have significant trouble beating, but i will not stoop as low as Snake and getting used to having a crutch that i can rely on (F-tilt)

Also, sorry CorruptFate for posting in here about it, it will not happen again!! i know you are just doing your job, and id rather have you do it then some other non-Pit main who ive never heard from before.

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
I have a couple of questions: 1. I know that when you use the WoI in the air it stops all upward momentum, but does this also work with downward momentum?
2. How do you cancel the WoI early and get that little air puff?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
To Question 1: yes and no there is a point after every spike where you can hit jump or ^8 to stop the momentum this is called Meteor Canceling. The real difference is that you can't spam jump as your falling or it wont work, if you hit jump to early then you are unable to Meteor Cancel with a jump. But you can spam ^B all you want and it will start as soon as the game will let you, I use this all the time after gettting spiked and am still able to get back. However when you use WoI with out jumping right before it makes you go down a very small amount.

To Question 2: WoI will always have a wind push no mater what you do, but I think you are talking about on the ground this is called Wingdashing, look at this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164871 you can cancel it by hitting Dair.

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
1. thanks
2. im not talking about wingdashing. i just want to know if there's a way to cancel the WoI early and if so how

Seiya7

Smash Apprentice
open my thread back up! im now dissapointed forever.
aw poor kown

so does anybody know if forward was in houston this weekend?

i heard he was and i was o so looking forward to a pit ditto :/

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
How are Pit users so good at shooting an arrow another way andmaking it come back and hit the opponent? Its like the arrow does a barrel-roll of sorts but... yeah... If you dont know what im talking about, proof is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwT33mY2ruw

Cause Sage is awesome o_o

One question really quick - what is Pit's fastest aerial for recovery wise?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
How are Pit users so good at shooting an arrow another way andmaking it come back and hit the opponent? Its like the arrow does a barrel-roll of sorts but... yeah... If you dont know what im talking about, proof is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwT33mY2ruw
Arrow looping isn't hard and it just takes small amount of practice to get the general idea down, then a bit more to put it into battle.

Cause Sage is awesome o_o

One question really quick - what is Pit's fastest aerial for recovery wise?
What do you mean recovery wise, if you are talking like R.O.B.s bair, or zap jumping with Lucas then he doesn't have one.

Glusent

Smash Journeyman
sorry for being a complete noob, but I need serious help fighting against pit. He (or MK) is my worst matchup. Now my friend (who I normally go even with) picked up pit and i have no idea how to fight him

S.D

Smash Master
Watched some vids of Sage vs Admiral, really nice matches.

I was just wondering about their use of WOI, they seemed to be using it a lot to stall in midair then drop an fair from both grounded positions and aerial. Sage often went for FH dair to WOI stall to fastfall fair etc. I haven't been keeping up with Pit's metagame at all lately but is this the this the hip new thing to be doing? And isn't it a little risky? Anyone got any info about this coz it seemed to work a lot and i wanna know whether to work it into my game more or not.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
Well for DI, I saw that Snake uses dair or uair as the aerial input, so I was wondering what was Pit's aerial to use when DI'ing back to the stage.
I've asked this question many times and never got an answer. I believe F-air will work well. A little start up lag, but almost no ending lag. We really should get some more frame data.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Why cant I up B after I get hit by something and how do you make the arrows spin around after you already curved them?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
According to a single G&W, he said the Windbox on their Uair refreshed their moves.

Does the Windbox from our Up-B refresh our moves?

Someone needs to test this.

EDIT:

Tested - it's FALSE

:mewtwo:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If im forced to camp (Depending on situation and matchup), I would.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So I guess I come here to ask questions then?

1) What grabs do most Pit players use and when?

I know f-throw chains, d-throw leads to combos, but are there any set ups that are equally efficient? I got that you can mix up DIs and sneak in b-throws in the middle of your f-throw chaingrabs just to throw off people, but aside from that, I don't know what to do with, say, u-throw other than to kill. Also, at higher percentages, what do you do with grabs? And what are common grab set ups? So far, I've only been able to really mindgame into grabs, nothing else really leads me in.

2) Who exactly can I chaingrab and to what percent? And if I can't chaingrab, what's an acceptable way of taking off that early 30 percent? I've found that if you corner people off stage and >B, they tend to DI towards you and get caught more often than not, but aside from that, I don't know what else to do.

3) What stages should I go for and why?

Is battlefield that good of a Pit stage? I seem to have problems there, I think it's the size of the stage, not the platforms. It seems limiting though U-airs **** that stage. I've found that I like smashville a lot, but that's probably the purest neutral in the game so whatever. And I don't like FD unless I need to live forever. What non-neutral counterpicks are in Pit's favor?

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
So I guess I come here to ask questions then?

1) What grabs do most Pit players use and when?

I know f-throw chains, d-throw leads to combos, but are there any set ups that are equally efficient? I got that you can mix up DIs and sneak in b-throws in the middle of your f-throw chaingrabs just to throw off people, but aside from that, I don't know what to do with, say, u-throw other than to kill. Also, at higher percentages, what do you do with grabs? And what are common grab set ups? So far, I've only been able to really mindgame into grabs, nothing else really leads me in.

2) Who exactly can I chaingrab and to what percent? And if I can't chaingrab, what's an acceptable way of taking off that early 30 percent? I've found that if you corner people off stage and >B, they tend to DI towards you and get caught more often than not, but aside from that, I don't know what else to do.

3) What stages should I go for and why?

Is battlefield that good of a Pit stage? I seem to have problems there, I think it's the size of the stage, not the platforms. It seems limiting though U-airs **** that stage. I've found that I like smashville a lot, but that's probably the purest neutral in the game so whatever. And I don't like FD unless I need to live forever. What non-neutral counterpicks are in Pit's favor?
I may not be the most qualified but ill tell you what works for me.

1) Its true, youll see the D-throw and F-throw the most often from good pit players, with F-throw being used more at low % or at the edge; however, if you want to use the other throws i guess it wouldnt hurt too bad. To land the grab in the first place, of course you know shield grab, you can run and grab to punish a ground move with crappy lag, you can approach with a SH-Nair and land behind or in front for a shield grab, edgeguard with F-throw (works well especially when enemy gets up w/ an attack, easy to follow up), or maybe a glide cancel to sliding grab. I dont actually use grabs very often, for the record, when im close enough for a grab i feel like i can do more damage with a jab combo.

Anyway, as far as the U-throw goes, its basically the same as D-throw just a lil worse... use it when your D-throw needs replenished. As for the B-throw its the worst one, but im aware that there are certain situations in which it is the most reasonable. At almost all percentages, a B-throw canbe followed by a quick arrow which is usually easy to land, and since many ppl may naturally use their 2nd jump after being thrown, this arrow can eat it up and lead to easy punishment.

2) Chain grab should work on most heavy characters up to 25-30% or so, but keep in mind that it is not a TRUE chaingrab as it can be DIed and spot dodged although it is hard for many players especially those who didnt know pit has a (sorta) chaingrab. To the extent of my knowledge, the only TRUE chaingrab is on DK up to 40% i believe which part of the reason pit hard counters him. It will also usually work on: ike, bowser, DDD, snake, link, wario up to 20-30% and most other chracters for maybe 2 grabs.

From 0% pit has alot of options to quickly get the uponent up to that 30% ur talking about. personally go straight for an infinite jab at 0%, because at this low % the knockback is so little that you can follow it up quickly with an Angel ring, D-tilt, or even grab after a step or 2. It works for me from 0%... Jab infinite->angel ring-> F-smash or d-tilt (after a wingdash if spacing is flawed). If i cant get the jab off, i like to hit the enemy with a Gl-Air from 0% as this leads to an easy FH-Bair or two. Also a SH-Nair-d-tilt is plausible.

3) BF isnt a great stage for pit so its no surprise that u have problems, but you are right, Pit's Uair ***** there. In general, it cant hurt to fight on a level that Pit can glide under. As far as non-neutral picks go, NORFAIR seems to be the generally accepted favorite here at the Pit boards. Pkmn Stadium 1 is no good, dont go there. Jungle Japes is good against characters like snake and DDD, limiting the stage control and chaingrab, respectively. Ill show you an interesting thread related to this topic: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206886

Keep it up!! Show people what Pit is made of!! We need more people to do so lol. Hope this helped.

S.D

Smash Master
You can start trying u throw when people learn to time d throw to aerial dodging. The u throw throws off their normal timing and you can get in u airs when they try to reach the ground. Keeping your opponent above you with Pit is good due to the priority of u air. Pick the yoshi stage with the pipes coz you can f throw chain throw most characters up the hill to their death with ease.

A good starter combo that will work on pretty much the whole cast is f throw>dthrow>u air>bair or f air (depending on DI)

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
So I'm new to Pit and am not sure:

Out of the AT's...what are useful and I should use...and what are some that are not useful??

Out of the AT's in the stickied guide...and if there are any others?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Dont perform Arrow looping tricks OR any of those special Pit ATs until you master the basics. They could make you lose a bit.
Once you got the basics down you may want to learn Wingdash, Standard Arrow loops (this one isnt recommended), and a Wingdash from my view.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
So I'm new to Pit and am not sure:

Out of the AT's...what are useful and I should use...and what are some that are not useful??

Out of the AT's in the stickied guide...and if there are any others?
theres not much to "learn" but make sure you remember to wing refresh

rinoH

Smash Lord
dtilt can spike though its not hard to land you cant really use it that much cuz of autosweetspotting

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The Pit D-tilt spike is applied when an opponent who isnt standing on the ground. The Hitbox is Pit's Body.

Top Bottom