• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~// The Hawaii Thread \\~ V2.0

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
ok i just got off the phone with jeremy

yes the date is change back to the 28th for the championships but 27th again is pre elimination. prizes you kno and the sign ups and all that

for friday sign ups starts at 5:00 and ends at 6:00 and hopefully tourny starts at 7:00 if theres a huge turn out there gonna try and start the tourny at 6 so ppl be there before 5. since me nick and tom dont have to go thru pre elims me and nick are gonna watch the pre elims and im probly gonna help them out during the tourny

sat starts at 10 with me tom nick and the winners of the pre eliminations... if i remember correctly it will be 12 ppl in all but me nick and tom are gonna be split into diff pools and challenge the winners of the pre elims so if jose goes one of us gets him lol hope not me >.<

indie_dave

Smash Ace
Keep it short and sweet for this friday. Unless a bunch of players know whats going on with the smash scene they'll be turned off from entering. The metagame of Hawaii isn't that high yet so we dont need to use most of the tournament rules.

Basics:

-Tournament stages and put on random unless both players agree on a stage, loser picks next (Don't need to use Dave's stupid rule)
-Allow people to switch characters between matches (Assuming a majority don't know which characters to counterpick with. It'll be a trust system, all the better players should not counterpick)
-Seeding you'll prolly want, and match players by skill (This lets less skilled players get a round or two of enjoyment before playing any of the heavy hitters)
-4stock, best out of three matches
sounds good sounds good

Fuzzylittlbunny

Smash Journeyman
What's this about a tournament on the 28th? Is there a website with details? If I don't work that day, I wouldn't mind going... even if I'll probably lose in the first round.

Oshiro

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I can go to this friday or the tournament =;(

Stupid band and orchestra

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
4th place!!! Damm it!!!

At least I know I won't be facing tom, nick, or frankie. Still gotta worry about some other guys though.

So, what are the preliminaries going to determine? Top nine move on or something?

Oh fuzzy, you can't play on the 28th unless you play on the 27th.
That's the prelims.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I believe they said at 7, but they want to start by 6 since there will probably be lots of people. I'm gonna guess in the hundreds.

Just had some gooood practice with Merc today. Man I feel so pumped! After it was all said and done, he had a total of 109 kills and I had 110. INTENSE!!! I am so ready to play on friday.

Oh and btw. Expect Merc to be there on Friday of this week AND the Blaisdell. In the words of Merc, "y'gonna get rocked!" lolz

Didn't go to playntrade today cause I was so worn out after playing. I think I read somewhere that I can sign up at Hawaiian Brians and Netwerx lounge. Is this true? Those are like uber close to where I go school so I think I'll do it there. Haven't been to Netwerx since FF XI. And yeah I'll put down for Shoyo and Terence and Matt. Hurry up and come to me my Tax Returns!!! $_$

FireFly

Smash Lord
eyy daniel! my friend today was talking to me about Jump. he was saying how he was vs'ing this guy named fuzzylittlebunny and how good he was...he plays smash too and is pretty decent with fox (l-cancel, waveshine etc) and he'll probably come to the tourney on 27th

imma be at prelims watching on friday. and frankie, what exactly is the volunteering? setup? interview?

Trepidation

Smash Cadet
Wow so everything sounds good for the tourney.

where do we sign up again?

Hmm we waipahu guys will be practicing like crazy for it ^-^

I'm thinking of just dropping my marth and using my falco at the tourney lol.

After all falco is my main ^-^

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
volunteering meaning im helping out during the tourny, like wat the workers did on the first tourny

friday schedual:
signs up start at 5
ends at 6
tourny starts 7
if big turn out tourny starts 6

SO BE AT BLAISDELL BY 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes bobby its true..... you can sign up but not pay
and no fair daniel lives rite next to blaisdell lol

Fuzzylittlbunny

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... what's his name on gamefaqs? Because my name is Sefirosu in Katakana for Jump, so I had to have talked to him to set up games before-hand. Anyway, you can tell him thanks for the compliment.

Although I do recall a few people on gamefaqs saying that they also live in Hawaii...

FireFly

Smash Lord
my friend was on gamefaqs on school and telling me while he was looking at topics. i forgot what his username was o_x

i am so PUMPED for friday and next friday. too bad we cant wear our JGC shirts, representaz

Darkmusician

Smash Master
$ POT LUCK PLAN!!! $

Okay guys. For this week Friday, how bout we do a potluck?

This is something similar to what we do in Marching Band. lolz

Say if you'll be bringing either a

Main dish (usually something with meat) eg: chicken, beef

Carbs eg: Rice, Noodles, pastas, sushi, mac salad

Desserts eg: cookies, pie, donuts

Misc dish eg: Fruits, salad,

It is possible to bring stuff via the bus. I have done so many times. And I'm talking huge platters kine. lolz So no johns. ^_^

Hopefully we can have a balanced potluck. Just bring enough to feed about half of the group. Don't have to bring enough for every single JGC member. So about feeds 10-12 or so should be good.

So please post if you like the idea and would like to bring something. If majority of us can bring stuff that would be uber. It's either this or I cook for all youz guyz. lolz

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Thanks for the info Frankie. Imma meet you guys on saturday shoots!

Bobby, thanks again for the sign up. Life saver. For the food, I don't think I'm capable of making anything like Terence, and my parents are rather busy, so yeah. My bad. If it's after the tourny and I manage to win with some sort of luck, I'd definitely bring like sushi or something with gold and diamond bits. =D

Long time no see or hear Daniel. Just wondering, do you know a user danexadas or something on gamefaqs or jump? He's also from Hawaii, and he's friggin good at JUS from what I hear, so if you see him, kick his arse. kthnx

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
o ya im making another montage for this tourny so look sharp guys.... no montage on uh tourny tho cause im coming straight from work

Fuzzylittlbunny

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know Danexedas. I won 12 out of 21 games against him =) Actually it should've been 12 out of 20, but I let him win one when he said he wanted to show me a flashy combo. So, I played the role of the pin cushion that game.

Do you know him personally?

Q Klilx

Smash Cadet
* Prizes are subjected to change based on signup*

Smash Brothers Tournament is being moved to the Blaisdell

Friday 27th – prelim starts at 6:00pm

Sunday 29th – Championship

$10 entrée fee

1st – PSP, and prizes (up to 60% of entrée…possibly up to $500 store credit)

2nd - $100 Store credit and prizes

3rd - $50 Store credit and prizes

*Rules - Best of 3 single elimination, 4 stock. - 1 vs 1
All right, is this the current and accurate information? If it is I think I can make it. Now I just need a couple other bits of info since this thread is bloated.

- Are there times confirmed for the Sunday portion?

- Where do I sign up and when can I go to these places?

If there's anything else I should know then please tell me. I plan to compete.

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
info has been change:

instead of the championship being on sunday it will be on saturday. you ahve to make it through pre elims to make it to saturday

pre elim sign ups start at 5 and ends at 6 in the afternoon tourny starts 7 but there gonna try to start it asap after the sign ups.
still 10 doller entry fee single elimination

friday: be here by 5
8 minutes 4 stock no items all characters
random set stage:
final destination
battle field
yoshi's story
fountain of dream
kirby 64
pokemon stadium

saturday: be here by 10
for double elimination:
first match you treat as a normal match they choose characters random stage
for the second match winner chooses character first then the loser (for counter bot etc) then the loser gets to choose the stage he/she wants

prizes are still the same

kapolei side: 808 impressions
mililani side: play n trade
town side: hawaiian brians and somewhere else i forgot
pearl city side: the computer gaming store thingy at pearl kai shopping center
you can sign up at these places but for paying to get in is only at play n trade

contacts:
play n trade : 623 9800

besides that if u guys got your emails and stuff and about interviews jeremny said theres gonna be like khon and 98.5 and kssk and all that fun stuff

anymore questions about play n trade ill try to answer the best i can

Q Klilx

Smash Cadet
Can you by any chance estimate how long the Saturday portion will last? I cannot judge my skill, but should I make it past the first half I'll need to get off work. If I work, I'd have to leave by 3-3:30 PM. Would the Saturday portion take 5 hours? :p

If so I'll go ahead and see what I can do to get out of work.

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
friday it mite take awhile i say 11ish the latest

as for saturday i think at most its gonna be 12 players if i remember correctly the 3 winners of the last play n trade tourny will be split into different pools to face off the winners of friday so maybe at most 2 -3 hours

i myself have to leave early on saturday

and im the person who took 2nd on the last tourny btw ^^ firefly took first

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
hmmm..all that media presence is getting me nervous.
I don't like cameras!!!

Wait!!!!
****!!!
If there's gonna be like news cameras, and if they show it on tv, what if my bosses see me, they'll know I wasn't at no stinkin school workshop!!!
OH MY GOD!!!

Oh yeah, and stop braggin about your damm top placings in the last tourney.
Just shut up!!! =(

YAY LOOK AT ME I TOOK 4TH!!! LIKE 4TH MATTERS!
Arg NICK!!! Should've played you on the laggy tv!!! <----John

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Hmmm. Well ait. Looks like the majority of the people would rather not bring food and just be fed. For Dex, Arvin and whomever else is planning on bringing food, great. That'll help feed. For everyone else that will just be eating and not bringing, $5.00 is good. If you not eating altogether, then no need pay. ( but i better not catch you eating anything! :p)

Waipahu!!! I need to know by Thursday NOON if you will be coming. I don't mean just one or two people. I'm talking like Chad, Gene, Ed, Bryan, Rob and the whole crew. Reason being I need to know if you'll be eating and playing in the tourney. Thanks.

Thanks Jose. If any other problems come up lemme know. I'll talk to Glen as well to confirm.

Thanks for all the feedback Frankie. I plan on winning the Prelims btw. I wanna make sure I get to the Championships.

Tourney rules to follow later today.

Q Klilx

Smash Cadet
Ping_Ping said:
friday it mite take awhile i say 11ish the latest

as for saturday i think at most its gonna be 12 players if i remember correctly the 3 winners of the last play n trade tourny will be split into different pools to face off the winners of friday so maybe at most 2 -3 hours

i myself have to leave early on saturday
Ah, in that case I probably don't need to get out of work.

Ping_Ping said:
and im the person who took 2nd on the last tourny btw ^^ firefly took first
I placed 3rd in a previous tournament. No idea which tournament you're talking about but maybe you can figure mine out by knowing it was at the Blaisdell. Unless the winners of that tournament post here you're probably not going to figure out who I am.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Yes Glen yes. Could you bring his TVs in your truck for friday please? I appreciate it.

Also I think Jose said he'll contact you but I guess you could contact him first. Either way. Lemme know how that goes.

I need some people to bring systems too. We're gonna use more Tvs hence more Systems will be needed. I seriously hope we have enough outlets to use everything.

Dave, once I get to work and eat lunch, I'll IM you to discuss the final layout and schdule for Friday.

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
I placed 3rd in a previous tournament. No idea which tournament you're talking about but maybe you can figure mine out by knowing it was at the Blaisdell. Unless the winners of that tournament post here you're probably not going to figure out who I am.
wow you guys are the ones that placed 3rd with the tourny "the zone" held? the one with teams with stock characters? you probly saw my friends they took first and 2nd on that tourny but that was super long time ago

well the tourny im talking about was the first smash play n trade held so ya

new stuff:
jeremy is gonna have 6 tvs on tourny day if you guys can help out with tvs and cubes let me know asap so we can move the tourny along faster ill start tv and cube sign ups here.

also kawaii kon ask jeremy if they can help hold a tourny on sat nite ill start sign ups here on who wants to go, jeremy asked me personally to round up the boys and help out no entry basic smash and win idk the prizes or rules yet and again sign up starts here kawaii kon we get in for free as "jeremy's boys" if i remember him saying that lol

TV

CUBE
1. Frank

KAWAII KON
1. Frank (Maybe)
2. Nick (Maybe)

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
more new news lol ****
KHON will be coming on friday 27th so be ready dexter lol
ummm if you guys sign up on the different venues put down your time so jeremy can put you into that bracket

theres gonna be 5 different brackets and his taking the top 2 on each bracket to move to the championship so 13 in all

best of 3 on both days

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
alright so now we have 3 tournaments. i will kind of go through them one by one.

FRIDAY UH TOURNEY
bobby, when should we be there at UH? friday we have no school. but in the morning scott and I are helping with a "profestional development conference" (the school found us because we are known for playing smash @@, they wanna know why we gamers are addicted to games and how can we make school "addicting" just like games.) from 9am to 2pm. I am thinking to go to UH by myself to save you a trip. about food, 5 dollars is no problem. and i hope to get a ride with you back home, because you know, i am the guy who's passed out everytime after a fest.

PNT TOURNEY
frankie, i wanted to know how many people are going to advance to finals? is it top 3 or top 4 of prelim?
Bobby, since you are going, is it possible to get a ride from you going and back?

Kawaii Kon Tourney
i would think about going since we could enter for free. but are they playing ffa tho. that'd cut down my interest.

discuss.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
frankie you are fast. posted again before me.

to the 5 brackets. i am so excited. because it maximize the chances of me going to finals. yay you all know i suck that's why.

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
most likely it would be random but i remember him telling me if you have an excuse or something he will put you on the desired time bracket say if you ahve work and such and youll be arriving late youll get a later bracket etc. idk really if its gonna be 5 brackets im saying 4 but jeremy is saying 5 idk depends on how much ppl come to play

as for the kawaii kon thing jeremy just got a call from them today so ya im kinda in charge of that thing im gonna talk to jeremy about it more later but i think he was saying teams? lol i kno most of you guys dont like that tho lol

indie_dave

Smash Ace
RE: UH Dorms tournament:

@Terence: we officially start at 8pm, officially end at 11pm.

@ Bobby: [if you're talking about lehua tourney] brackets WILL be seeded by location and hopefully also by skill. i will need help in plugging in the relative skill levels, so a .tio file with that info would be GREATLY appreciated

@ whoever's coming THIS FRIDAY TO UH DORMS:
come by early for friendlies and/or if you wanna help setup systems, cook food, chill, whatever. i should be available from 6pm at the latest. call my room at 956.9066 to sign into the building.

***THIS WOULD REALLY REALLY HELP ME AND SAVE YOU TIME TOO:
can everybody please call me/leave a message at 956.9066 or PM me with your first and last name, a contact number, what time you're expecting to show/leave? Also, if you have any guests/friends that you're bringing/coming with and their information too? we do need to plug in everybody's names into brackets as well, so tags/handles etc also necessary. THANKS!!

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
Frank, you know I'll be all over Kawaiikon. Its about time I show up to one of those!

Q_klikx, if you were from the old Zone held tournament then I remember you. I was the Samus player, Racer X was Fox. Show up to this one, the Hawaii player base has gotten a lot better than it was two years ago.

Top Bottom