• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~// The Hawaii Thread \\~ V2.0

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
Umm...Just got a call from Jeremy from pnt, he said that they are moving the tourney to the blaisdell, and that it's no longer on the 28th, but on the 27th and 29th. Preliminaries then tournament. Looks like I won't be going to this one. Damm. I requested off for the 28th, I can't put in more requests for friday and sunday. Sigh, you guys have fun. I will be looking forward to this friday's tourney at the dorms though.

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
well that 27th and 29th that means me and nick cant go either... we requested the 28th off too like dex and we cant get anymore day offs this month unless we find someone to replace us which is unlikely

FireFly

Smash Lord
wow, frank, nick, and dex cant make it to the next tourney? 3 out of the top four cant make it. that maximizes the chances of sho or terence placing high.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
f*ck guys this means that I may not be able to make it either. I do have something called church. I'm sure you've heard of it. lolz But yeah worse yet I have praise leading that day too. I'll talk to the leader and see if I can get out of it since I am only a singer and no longer a keyboard. Thank goodness for that. But yeah I'm gonna try to get out of it since lots of people will be rideless without me. But yeah that and I wanna go. I've been bending my schedule pretty bad to make it. I want that first place!!!

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
27 and 29th? So I take it that I'm the only one from Kapolei playing on the 27 seeing as Tom doesn't need to play. I'll check with Ian if he wants to play, if not I might have to ask David for a ride.

I'm thinking about using either Luigi, Ice Climbers or Pikachu for that tournament. That way I won't feel bad losing to Tom :p

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
yes jose like i said me and nick work the 27th and 29th we specifically asked for 28th and like we cant take the day off no more unless we find someone to take our place.... but i still needs saturday off cause i gots something to do

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
wow 27 and 29 seem like pretty bad dates. but i am still available both days. since it is at blaisdell i guess i can ride the bus. bobby no worries just in case you ccan't attend.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Gotcha HK. I'll most likely just say I can't participate this month. Won't be so bad since I've done like the past several and we haven't even started rehearsing yet. The leader's a great guy and he understands how swamped I am anyways. If anybody is bringing their diamond or Pearl (ftw) then we battle on that day.

Talked to Merc. Said he may come Friday. Depends on his new job. He'll talk to me tomorrowz. I'm gonna play at the dorms after this class cause this whole day was total garbage.

Oh yeah Jose. When will you be on Aim? I wanted to check on some things for T.o.W. this Friday and ask some questions.

FireFly

Smash Lord
look at this email i got from jeremy!

Hello,

Please read below about information on the upcoming tournament at the Neil Blaisdell Center Food and New Product Show.

There will be a lot of TV and Radio Coverage. Don't be surprised if your are asked to be interviewed. We have up the prizes so please sign up early. We may put a cap to the tournament due to the size of it. We have signups from Mililani, Kapolei, Ewa, Downtown area, and UH Manoa...looks to be fun..

I am also looking for volunteers. Let me know if you are interested..

* Prizes are subjected to change based on signup*

Smash Brothers Tournament is being moved to the Blaisdell

Friday 27th – prelim starts at 6:00pm

Sunday 29th – Championship

$10 entrée fee

1st – PSP, and prizes (up to 60% of entrée…possibly up to $500 store credit)

2nd - $100 Store credit and prizes

3rd - $50 Store credit and prizes

*Rules - Best of 3 single elimination, 4 stock. - 1 vs 1

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
In that case I'll show up being a nobody because I wanna stay outta the lime light. Kinda sucks that a lot of players won't show up, you guys deserve to be recognized.

Ask away anything you want Bobby. Send via PM or post away. I kinda wanna make fliers to put up around campus. Just for old times sake. Seeing the smash scene blowing up makes me really really happy.

Old Livewire flier from back in the day. Back when Japanese DI and wavedashing first entered our lives :D

FireFly

Smash Lord
nice old school flyer

btw jose what is this non-sense about you telling everyone that i am NOT from Kapolei?!!??

II CoNtRoL II

Smash Rookie
yeah, best H2 players are in Kapolei. they won the zone tourney and livewire tourney. There is a Halo 2 tourney this Sunday at playntrade. 4v4 and FFA. my friends are going and im going to support them like they did with me for smash

so where exactly do i go once i get to UH?

edit: felix is coming, hes here right now
Kind of awkward, since I won the last BIG 2v2 tourney here, it was a landslide kinda thing. I never see Hawai'i people on Live, so w/e. There were like 5 Kapolei players there, but none of them could do BR tricks. Anyways, Scott might be able to give me a ride this Friday, but only if he gets his hands on a car. So, I look forward to getting owned (if I get there).

FireFly

Smash Lord
oh you were the one that one the $1400 2v2 tourney on saturday? 3rd place were from kapolei, from livewire to be specific

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
Man, that tournament sounds like it's gonna be big!
Jeremy should've mentioned this from the start, but it's probably not his fault.
He did originally plan for it to be at pnt. Man, I really wanted to go.

FireFly

Smash Lord
frankie is gonna try switch out his day off, give it a try dex!

advertisements on the tv/radio with an interview from one of us probably.

this tourney is going to be EPIC

II CoNtRoL II

Smash Rookie
No, compared to the Z0NE tourney 2 years back, $1400 isn't much. It was in Aiea around Dec. 16th, 2005 I think. I just checked up on the PNT rules, and they don't play MLG Gametypes, the only type that takes skill. Starting Map Def. On Middy is like spawning with 300% in Smash. The ONLY gametypes I play are MLG FFA ('07 rules) and MLG 1v1 (Warlock rules). You can tell the gametypes are screwed up if someone who can' use a BR gets named national champ. If I can go to the Smashfest this Friday, see if you can bring some of your friends with you, so I can talk Halo. If not, that's cool too. Looking forward to the fest (hopefully), and see if your friends remember the Z0NE tournament.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Dude, this is like extreme...I'm getting those orgasms just thinking about it.

No not really, maybe. But man, if I can go on TV for smash, that would be pretty awsome.

Bobby, if by chance, you can't make it, I'll bus it or something. I'm not missing out on this one no matter what. I hope everyone can make it somehow. Btw, did you sign us up already or no?

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
Tom, there's no point, I can't switch one day to two. Seeing as I have to go through preliminaries then the tournament, I would need two days off. I've also done a lot of other off requests too, so I don't want to push it. Looks like I'm just going to have to miss this one. Just mention me if you guys get interviewed. Lol, that would be funny.

I'll just hope and pray that my schedule next week ends up with me having friday, saturday, and sunday off!!!
Like that's gonna happen.

FireFly

Smash Lord
i thought it was dean and mongito that took the 2v2 tourney at the zone....it was crazy good, me and gimpyfish was there >.>

i doubt my friends will come all the way to UH, but theres some hope. yeah, i agree with you on the mlg rules and everything, maybe we can talk a little halo at the smashfest? i cant wait till fri

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
None of the Kapolei Smash players save Tom play H2. I think I have Travis' # if you guys ever want to play with him however.

You guys need TVs this friday then? All I need is a way to transport them to and back. Should I bring a case of V8 for added fun?

Darkmusician

Smash Master
None of the Kapolei Smash players save Tom play H2. I think I have Travis' # if you guys ever want to play with him however.

You guys need TVs this friday then? All I need is a way to transport them to and back. Should I bring a case of V8 for added fun?
Yeah Jose. A tv or two would be a huge help. A couple systems from peoples would be nice too. Ummm... lemme see. Maybe if I drop off my two TVs before friday, I can bring yours. Do you have class on Friday Jose and do you drive? I could pick you up since I get up before sunrise anyways. But yeah, I could bring you, the TVs and whatever else you need. Lemme know what you like do cause I'm pretty flexible on Fridays. V8 I have never had. But I've heard things.

Man this whole tournament for play n trade is getting bigger and bigger. Those prizes are sweet. I am so taking one of them. I'd even settle for top 5 with all the potential media exposure. Does anyone know WHAT TIME the championships start on Sunday? I really need to know like now kine. Thanks. I am so gonna $ kick my way into the smash media community.

You guys can print out my flyer and put around school. I just came back from the dorms and there are lots of posters for this week. I'm so glad todays work is done with. >_>

Ping_Ping

Smash Ace
**** ok situation is getting messy but me a nick are gonna try to switch our days off.....

as for today me and nick are gonna go play n trade in the afternoon to seriously find out wat is going on and how big this thing really is

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
Keep it short and sweet for this friday. Unless a bunch of players know whats going on with the smash scene they'll be turned off from entering. The metagame of Hawaii isn't that high yet so we dont need to use most of the tournament rules.

Basics:

-Tournament stages and put on random unless both players agree on a stage, loser picks next (Don't need to use Dave's stupid rule)
-Allow people to switch characters between matches (Assuming a majority don't know which characters to counterpick with. It'll be a trust system, all the better players should not counterpick)
-Seeding you'll prolly want, and match players by skill (This lets less skilled players get a round or two of enjoyment before playing any of the heavy hitters)
-4stock, best out of three matches

deadleather

Smash Apprentice
Ok, i missed out on a lot, wat's this about tv? Frickin' shoyo tryin' to get on tv >_>. Dammit dex, WHY!!!!! lol, ****, $500 prize?!, sounds like jose is gonna be $500 richer. Dang, sounds fun, 0130 fo sho.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
**** ok situation is getting messy but me a nick are gonna try to switch our days off.....

as for today me and nick are gonna go play n trade in the afternoon to seriously find out wat is going on and how big this thing really is
Sounds good Frankie. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Jose. Nvm bout what I suggested. lolz Glen said he'll be willing to bring any tvs or equipment in his truck. So hopefully that'll work out good.

After my classes are done, I'll talk with dave and make a final tournament agenda with the rules for friday. I have it in my head so it should be pretty easy.

I will also call back Merc and find out what he plans to do about not only this week but the week after. Having him at the tournaments will do good things for the competition.

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys I'll give my schedule switching a shot, although I do have to lie a bit.
Since I did a lot of requesting off already I requested the 28th off because I had an "all day school workshop" to go to, since they know that school is more of a priority, it would be easier to get that day off.
So here's my switch story:
My teacher decided to switch the workshop day to the 27th and the 29th because he will be busy with other things on the 28th. The 27th will have a short portion of the workshop from 4pm to 8pm and on the 29th, the larger portion of the workshop will be from 10am to7pm. All the students agreed that these times will work for them.

So guys, how does that sound. Note: those times shown should cover any possible shift that may interfere with the tourney.
I hope this works.
My only fear is that my boss asks me for some kind of confirmation from my teacher.
But that's not likely.

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
If he asks, print out an Email with your professor's name and "email" with your explanation.

What time does it start this friday? Theres a guest speaker coming to UH (Roy Disney, partner in crime with Walt Disney) and I seriously want to go to it. Hopefully I'll be able to do both but I'll do the smash feast instead.

FireFly

Smash Lord
BLAISEDELL TOURNEY DATE CHANGED!

Super Smash Tournament
Prelims - Friday starting at 7:00 (this is for pre registered) all others, it starts at 5:00
late sign ups - must be registered an hour before start of prelims.
Walk up entree's may be allowed to enter depending on size of tournament.
* be sure to sign up early*
Saturday - Championship Starts at 10:00
Prelims - single elimination (Top 3 move onto Championship rounds)
Championship - double elimination

Darkmusician

Smash Master
What do you mean by top 3 move on to the championship round. How many people will be in the championsip round altogether? I'm gonna go down today and find out what they be talkin about. After I play some rounds with merc merc merc.

Shoyo I'll sign up for you too. Pay me back on friday please.

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
what do you mean prelims start at 7 for pre-registered and 5 for others?
and what??? how is the championship round supposed to work?

Hmmm friday and saturday? that makes my switch slightly easier. I'll just alter my story a little.
Please guys, post as much new info as possible. This tourney is getting kinda confusing.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Omg, thanks so much Bobby! =)
I'll be sure to pay you back.

From the last tourny, the top three(nick, frankie, tom) are already in for sunday, and don't need to play in pre. For the different pools, the top three there will move up to sunday. I wonder how many pools there are.

Sorry for the horrible explanation. I have to leave for work in about 2 mins.

Top Bottom