• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ The Hat-Rack ~ Kirby Ability Thread [#2-3 - Mach Tornado & Grenades]

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
***Disclaimer: Sorry if you think this is nubby. Some of us play Brawl for FUN***

I got Kirby's Power Paintbrush and fell in love with the little ball of fun again, so I decided I'd take him back up. I'm actually **** with him on wifi and not too bad offline either so I can see myself using him as often as I use PT.

Anyway, what I considered my "thing" with Kirby (Besides B'airing the **** out of everyone) was using my opponent's B-Move against them. 'Nading Snakes, Tornado'n MetaKnights and Lasering Falco goes down well.

I seen this sig which inspired me to make this thread. It was lulzy.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/thoman32/kirbyfalcoes6.jpg

The point here is we're going to compare Kirby's stolen power to the original power and decide if it's worth stealing the power or just keeping swallow. There's nothing worse than getting ***** by your own move, right?

Factors to think about;
~ Kirby's Speed vs Their Speed.
~ Kirby's Air Speed vs Their Speed.
~ Kirby has 5 jumps, most people don't.
~ Kirby's other moves interacting with the power
~ Misc. Points

Remember to keep this clean, stealing Powers isn't the most amazing tourney play Strategy but remember that this is a video game which means it should be fun.

This time round we're talking about the two highest ranked characters.

GOGOGOGOGO!

Pink murder

Smash Ace

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Wouldn't hurt to do another I guess? The other one kinda...poofed. This one looks more organized anyway.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
If you're cool with that I'll put the commitment in to make this thread great.

I can't digress how much I dig killing Ike with Eruption as he recovers.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Haha, that clip was amazing.
Best Kirby I've seen :G

I agree that it's harder to hit with Falcon Punch without da Hitstun but most people don't know about the leap Kirby does when doing an Aerial Punch. His turnaround has some weird weaving going on too.

Mindgames son.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Imo, this ability is pretty useless. Huge startup (duhh), and with falcons speed your pretty much never going to hit him. The matchup is so **** that kirby doesnt even need it.

Also, i think we should do 2+ abilities at once. It wouldn't be too hard to keep track of it, plus it gets things done faster so hopefully it wont die like most other threads here. ;_;

EDIT: why not just make this Kirby Hat discussion in general? Doubles is much more fertile ground in terms of power stealing application.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, good ideas you got there man. I'm keen for that.

Can I apply all this tomorrow? It's 1:41 AM here in Britain and I'm sleeping soon.

In doubles with a Falcon Partner, he can grab them while you Pawnch them. Win.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Don't have much to say about the ability, but the (thread) name is win.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so now what?

Does anyone reckon that some actual good comes out of this other than looking totally cool?

I think due to the little hover, it's good on stages with platforms.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I think it's a pretty useless power. In any serious match, I have to resist the urge to take it and spam it like I have never spammed before because of how awesome it is never even think of taking it. It's a pretty useless power.

A word of advice: Start with S and A Tier characters and work your way down.

Good thread:).

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Okay after Falcon we'll do MetaKnight and Snake to spark more interest.

Good idea.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Expanding on my previous post, Falcon Punch is pretty much useless at all times, except for if you are a 2v1 situation and a falcon is either you opponent or your teammate, in which case you can have you teammate grab the opponent and Punch them, but even then you are better off charging a smash or something.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure the Punch is a bit stronger than Kirby's Smashes.

And cooler looking. Remember when it comes to Falcon, looking cool is essential.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure the Punch is a bit stronger than Kirby's Smashes.

And cooler looking. Remember when it comes to Falcon, looking cool is essential.
Definetly agree with this post, especially the last part. I have read through other kirby ability posts, but more info on top tier neutral specials wouldn't be bad.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Ah, so we're doing it again? Cool!

I agree with everyone else on the Falcon Punch. It really is kind of useless, and Inhale can benefit us so much more in this match-up. But that's not to say that it isn't fun as hell :p
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I think that's all there is to it.

In conclusion;

Falcon Punch is lulzy, but it's really not that good.
It's best to stick to inhale.
Mindgames with the little hop on wacky CP stages.
Good for doubles with Falcon Partner.

Do we have anything else left to say?

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
I think Falcon Punch should only be used for the lolz, so that kind of negates the Mindgame aspect. I also don't see how it would benefit you to use it in a doubles match because even though you can FP while your teammate is grabbing; it's highly situational. Not to mention that it would be much better to keep Inhale open.
☠

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
falcon punch is pretty good for edgeguarding

but not against characters like falcon who has a grab recovery (up-b has ******** priority at the end because he grabs you)

that said in doubles it can be used to get early kills, if you have a D3 partner d-throw paunch

and in terms of edgeguarding just jump high and fall with the punch, it'll force people to either fall under kirby, or use a horizantal recovery to go under kirby.

it's best applied when opponenets are off-screen or near there

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
When you hop and Falcon punch, Kirby floats upward. He doesn't fall fast like Falcon.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
falcon punch is pretty good for edgeguarding

but not against characters like falcon who has a grab recovery (up-b has ******** priority at the end because he grabs you)

that said in doubles it can be used to get early kills, if you have a D3 partner d-throw paunch

and in terms of edgeguarding just jump high and fall with the punch, it'll force people to either fall under kirby, or use a horizantal recovery to go under kirby.

it's best applied when opponenets are off-screen or near there
☠
Fixed. :p

I'll explain why I feel this way.

Sure FP is pretty good for edgeguarding... if you completely disregard all of his other edgeguarding options. Copying falcons punch and using it only for edgeguarding seems kind of pointless...

Using FP at the edge of the screen also seems like a pointless risk to take. If your opponent is already near the boundaries than a simple Bair or even a Fair would suffice.

The D3 idea could work, but if you weigh the pros and cons of having FP in the first place then it still wouldn't be a good idea.

You are supposed to defend your beliefs right? Or is this just an opinion thread?
☠

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Defend your beliefs for great justice.

k, Changing up to Tornado and 'nades.

GOGOGOGO.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Tornado and 'nades? I think we should go a little slower, but maybe that's because I'm lazy

Anyway, as far as the nades go, YES! Kirby can camp even better than Snake can if he has nades. Just be weary of the fact that snake can hit you out of swallow.

As for tornado, it's really up to you. Kirby's tornado has less priority than MK's. But it can be used as a surprise move, since a(n) M.K generally wont expect it.

Why do I feel like we're just scratching over the same stuff...
☠

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There's really no reason not to take Snake's ability. Inhale just fails as a defensive move here with Snake's grenades and horribly disjointed attacks. <<;

Is there a list of moves that go through Kirby's Tornado somewhere?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Well, he does seem a bit more mobile when recovering with Tornado.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Nado is incredibly difficult to get but gives you a very safe recovery option. Maybe try to inhale after an 0% fthrow and you get a safe recovery option for the rest of that stock. A lot of MK's moves go through it though :urg:

Nade's are awesome. One of the easier abilities to get and I feel this ability actually tips the scale slightly in our favor. Really the only reason Snake is such a hard match is because he kills so early and we always have trouble sealing the deal. We rack up damage pretty marginally, but with grenades we can outcamp him and force a sloppy approach. Remember that you can almost always shieldgrab ftilt out of the second hit so if you can force that it make it easy to rack up damage. I would have to advise against trying to get tricky with the grenades though because you may just end up hurting yourself. I stick to aircamping with grenades.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
☠
I always thought nado was useless for recovering since most of MK's moves go right through it.

But I'll take your -and Kewkky's- word for it.
☠

Its moreso good because its so quick. Most players won't be ready for Kirby to move so fast and the nado probably moves ~3x his normal horizontal movement speed (crude approximation with no testing).

And do me a favor...name's Jio, just call me Jio.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But I'll take your -and Kewkky's- word for it.
... I said something? o_O

Snake's nades is a real difficult decision for me. I used them once, loved them, but I still prefer the option of using my inhale to gimp him from his cypher from offstage. If you're not familiar with the matchup or have problems in it, by all means take the grenade (if you manage to get an inhale off, and careful because he can pelt you with his grenades and remove your ability).

If you're extremely experienced and trust your MU experience to prevail in the match, then my suggestion is for you to keep your inhale so you can inhale him out of his cypher (if you inhale him just right, his cypher knocks you out of your inhale animation and Snake falls to his doom... And, if you manage to inhale him and he breaks out, he doesn't get his cypher back).

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

Snake's nades is a real difficult decision for me. I used them once, loved them, but I still prefer the option of using my inhale to gimp him from his cypher from offstage. If you're not familiar with the matchup or have problems in it, by all means take the grenade (if you manage to get an inhale off, and careful because he can pelt you with his grenades and remove your ability).

If you're extremely experienced and trust your MU experience to prevail in the match, then my suggestion is for you to keep your inhale so you can inhale him out of his cypher (if you inhale him just right, his cypher knocks you out of your inhale animation and Snake falls to his doom... And, if you manage to inhale him and he breaks out, he doesn't get his cypher back).
As far as the cypher thing goes, I feel it is much more useful to take the nades. Snake has the vertical resistance to DI straight up and not die 99% of the time to a horizontal move. So he then momentum cancels and is very high in the air. He then cyphers before you can even get up that high and b-reversal, grenades so that when you think you chased him properly he goes in the other direction. If you try to read the b reversal nade then he doesn't do it and you're still going the wrong way. Its true that the Kirby nade campability doesn't compare to the likes of ROB or Pikachu, but its still a very useful power that shouldn't be overlooked.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Well, personally i (prefer the air) like using Meta Knight's mach tornado as a combo finisher, so whenever he is about to resume offense, I can tornado him a bit, an use it as a method of getting away also, which helps because Kirby's fast tilts make it hard for a projectile-less character like MK to approach without using the neutral or side-b, which can be swallowed/rock'd/f-smashed/final cuttered

HYES

Pink murder

Smash Ace
In Miami... sweating my *** off &gt;.&gt;

☠
I think I'm going crazy... I could have sworn that you said something about nado on page two... x_X

Anyway, I agree with jio on the Nade thing. I find it much better to use the nades than to use Inhale. If you save Inhale, the only way you'd use it would be to try and Gimp him. Nade's can benefit you in many more ways than Inhale would.

☠

Top Bottom