• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hall of Fame - Squirtle Video Thread

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt

chrome12345

Smash Cadet
I use it for:
1) Mid-air combo extension on stages like pokemon stadium 1/2 where you can force them to land on platform and position yourself below.
2) Ground combo extension on missed tech or tech chase.
3) Aerial manipulation alternative to DI and side-B.

Occasionally:
1) Long charge far off edge guard. Usually in a wavelength formation above their approach angle.
2) Lowered on-stage edge guard to horizontal approaches.
Water gun should be used as an edge guard when characters are off stage horizontally or low horizontally. The hit box almost always leads to forward air, so you should jump off towards them and use short water gun to forward air. this is really easy to hit against DK, Charizard (If he hasn't recovered high), Falcon, Ganondorf, Marth, roy and plenty of others. Even full squirt gun can be effective like this.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
So I was playing for like 8 hours at the weekly last night

http://www.twitch.tv/daftatt/b/540146821

1:18:51 (for a few matches)
1:27:47

I have a lot of matches up there, my tag in game is Daft@. Varying degrees of kicking butt, sometimes not (Capt. Falcon wrecks squirtle).

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Last night I managed to get a few games on stream, and they're already starting to get posted to Youtube so I'm gonna post them here.

Please tell me why I am bad and how to not be bad.

(Also please excuse the terrible stream, we weren't even planning on streaming this but some guy just happened to bring his setup so we did.)

Loser's semi's (also my favorite set of the night) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYVDqOpU8kc vs Yoshi

Winner's something games one and two (no sound) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtYgmqa95Y and game 3 (now featuring sound!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF3aaBqsfS8 vs Yoshi

Winner's something (Also I apparently completely forgot how to fight against Fox -_- ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx_QgycXp3Y vs G&W/Fox

Loser's Finals (Disclaimer: This whole set is really silly) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnazG1a1_no vs Mario

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Last night I managed to get a few games on stream, and they're already starting to get posted to Youtube so I'm gonna post them here.

(Also please excuse the terrible stream, we weren't even planning on streaming this but some guy just happened to bring his setup so we did.)

Loser's semi's (also my favorite set of the night) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYVDqOpU8kc vs Yoshi

Winner's something games one and two (no sound) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtYgmqa95Y and game 3 (now featuring sound!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF3aaBqsfS8 vs Yoshi

Winner's something (Also I apparently completely forgot how to fight against Fox -_- ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx_QgycXp3Y vs G&W/Fox

Loser's Finals (Disclaimer: This whole set is really silly) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnazG1a1_no vs Mario
Not bad at all! I'm impressed, it's very refreshing to see a squirtle have that level of fluid movement. Against yoshi I suggest up-throw up-tilt up-air combos, since his high weight they work really well for racking up a ton of damage.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Thanks man! I'll definitely give that a try. Any criticisms? (Other than "don't SD"? lol)

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Thanks man! I'll definitely give that a try. Any criticisms? (Other than "don't SD"? lol)
Lol, don't SD is a fundamental mantra of all squirtle players. I would love to see some more watergun at the end of yoshi's jump (or as an approach), as well as some more grab combos (up throw/f-trow leads to so many combos)

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I feel like I do all my actually good/creative stuff in friendlies.

I get tourney jitters suuuuuuuuuuper bad. Also playing against that Yoshi was super nerve wracking for me, because he 2-0'd me pretty hard the last time we played in bracket.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I feel like I do all my actually good/creative stuff in friendlies.

I get tourney jitters suuuuuuuuuuper bad. Also playing against that Yoshi was super nerve wracking for me, because he 2-0'd me pretty hard the last time we played in bracket.
I know exactly how you feel, squirtle's execution bar is super tough to overcome when you are at all nervous, besides people not really playing technically proficient squirtles in the past, I think it's the main thing keeping him from strong tournament results.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I've gotten wins on players way better than I am just because they think Squirtle is trash lol.

But yeah if I start getting too jittery I try and go outside for a smoke. When I'm nervous I just devolve into SIDE B SIDE B SIDE B SIDE B ahh **** I sd'd.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I've gotten wins on players way better than I am just because they think Squirtle is trash lol.

But yeah if I start getting too jittery I try and go outside for a smoke. When I'm nervous I just devolve into SIDE B SIDE B SIDE B SIDE B ahh **** I sd'd.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's universal, when I'm getting psyched out I just won't leave withdraw. I guess I should start smoking to be better at squirtle.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's universal, when I'm getting psyched out I just won't leave withdraw. I guess I should start smoking to be better at squirtle.
Squirtle smokes at least a pack a day. Have you heard his voice?

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPYE5QawZ-o&list=PLgurwoAJwJ6RpHoN0jCGQHmXp4nSJhRC6&index=19

only went squirtle for this one match since I hate the yoshi- m2 mu, but I'd like some feedback still.

Disregard my awful, awful sd in the first match :(

@ Burnsy Burnsy @ Zwarm Zwarm @ D Daftatt and whoever else has advice.

M2 has a long tail
Well first off, the M2 matchup for every character is all about predicting his teleports and throwing out hitboxes there.

Squirtle's dair (which you were using) is a great way to camp a space if M2 tries to TP in. Also forward hydroplane upsmash if he TPs away. What I really find useful against M2 though is watergun, as a squirtle you can be campy with it against M2 and angle it above you or whatnot, M2 is a fairly big target in the air and I find they often will TP into watergun then..

BAD ADVICE: You can waterfall onstage! They never see it coming and M2 can get K0d by it! (if they can SDI forget about it though)

Or, for safer techniques, Up-air can poke at M2 in the air well since squirtle's tail will be invincible and M2 has no ways of covering below him quickly (his dair has a large startup). I find that on a stage like battlefield I often kill M2 off the top with up-air. In match 2 you were about to do this but you were out of position and got hit by his shadow claw.

He likes to Short hop crossover you, you could catch him coming above you with up-tilt.

A big thing that would be useful is up-throw, like I said M2's options to cover below him are limited (certainly more than in front or above), so up-throw into whatever (up-air, dair, nair... WATERFALL!!!) would connect more than f-throw.

When you are at lower to mid percentages you can also break through his stupid up-tilt up-air tail wall with an armored nair

D-smash, being that it's a long lasting hitbox is pretty good against M2 on the ground, and it sends him up into a vulnerable position where you could up-air some more.

Finally there is your movement, squirtle is a fairly bait-punish kind of guy, so you always want to be moving around to draw the opponent out of position, brawl movement (standing without moving) is not super useful if that M2 were to start grabbing a bit more accurately. Shell shift a neutral position would definitely make M2's approaches harder, and try going for longer wavedashes.

... Waterfall kills are manly

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
armored nair going through up tilt/air is good to know, I was definitely just trying to weave the whole match.

and I was trying to call out teleports, but I wasn't confident enough with my trigger and got punished for it.

I never even considered camping m2 with water gun to be a legit option.

Thanks for the advice, M2 is a tough match, but squirtle is a champ.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Vs. Yungbloog
I go Ike game 1 and switch over the other 2 games. Id love tips as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmTflOscCOk&index=4&list=PLFXOgPi6_N5QJ6KFImzwR6lZndAK90IbP
4:51 - nice DI mixup on the f-throw up-throw, you d-tilt after the u-throw, I suggest up-tilt since you could chain that for some early match damage, then as they DI/SDI to either side you can regrab. It's a great damage stacker on fast fallers.

5:08 - There is a way to hydroplane the D-smash out of shellshift across the stage, it's called hydropivot-dsmash. Normal D-smash out of SS is incredibly punishable, especially by a falcon. Falcon is one of squirtle's harder matchups specifically because of his ability to punish and combo with Dair, or in this case, knee. Usually you can get away with whiffs in other MUs, but against a falcon a D-smash whiff is too risky.

5:12 - To escape the ledge you W/draw away, normally pretty safe, but in this specific matchup falcon's runspeed is actually greater than withdraw's speed. Limiting your use of the move in this matchup is important.

// You have a really nice hydro-grab punish game, be careful of your opponent spot-dodging as you come out of shell-shift

5:36 - squirtle has pretty good edgeguards on falcon, here you used bubble, a better option would have been nair, even though the falcon went high and this was probably surprising, starting a nair then fast falling it can cover effectively the entire recovery option for falcon's up-B. the "Fast Fall Shell Wall"

5:46 - lol, he taunted, many people fail to realize how for back squirtle can recover from

//D-smash to short hop Dair is an excellent punish as they come out of shield, this is definitely something that's going in my bag of tricks

6:07 - once again, even though falcon's up-b grab box can be intimidating, running off the ledge into a nair on top of him should send him out an an unrecoverable angle. Bubble, while perhaps a safe edgeguard, is most often ineffective, nair on the otherhand has armor and is safer than many would assume, while also being able to send at a low angle (like bubble) with more knockback

//You get a lot of reward from poking with d-tilt, be wary of making this a habit as crouch canceling can really punish this. I suggest an immediate first jab following d-tilt, even if they CC jab1 can save you with a clank or even throw off their CC allowing for a grab. Obviously falcon's d-tlit is a little slow for a CC option, so in this matchup I think it's pretty safe for squirtle to d-tilt poke.

//While you dair often as your aerial coverage move, not only can an opponent DI/SDI out of it very quickly, but against a fast faller such as captain falcon, up-air chains could stack on a ton of damage if you were to use that instead, or perhaps even as a followup to Dair.

6:55 - while this may just have been tournament nerves, tech chasing using withdraw is usually a bad option and should be avoided

9:20 (second match) - great to see you punish a getup attack with hydro-grab. This is an incredible option, and is perhaps the most potent use of hydrograbbing.

9:28 - Fthrow to Fair. Adding this to my bag of tricks

12:04 - Shades taunt to up-smash kill. Very stylish.

All in all you're shell-shift neutral game is excellent, there are some fast faller specific combos you could do and many of your combo starters are susceptible to CC. I would suggest practicing shell-slinging into aerials as I don't think you ever did it in your matches, a very potent offensive option for squirtle as you play decidedly defensive, so that is likely your greatest course of improvement (check out the advanced techniques thread if you don't know how to shell-sling).

Last edited:

SparkingZero

Smash Apprentice
4:51 - nice DI mixup on the f-throw up-throw, you d-tilt after the u-throw, I suggest up-tilt since you could chain that for some early match damage, then as they DI/SDI to either side you can regrab. It's a great damage stacker on fast fallers.

5:08 - There is a way to hydroplane the D-smash out of shellshift across the stage, it's called hydropivot-dsmash. Normal D-smash out of SS is incredibly punishable, especially by a falcon. Falcon is one of squirtle's harder matchups specifically because of his ability to punish and combo with Dair, or in this case, knee. Usually you can get away with whiffs in other MUs, but against a falcon a D-smash whiff is too risky.

5:12 - To escape the ledge you W/draw away, normally pretty safe, but in this specific matchup falcon's runspeed is actually greater than withdraw's speed. Limiting your use of the move in this matchup is important.

// You have a really nice hydro-grab punish game, be careful of your opponent spot-dodging as you come out of shell-shift

5:36 - squirtle has pretty good edgeguards on falcon, here you used bubble, a better option would have been nair, even though the falcon went high and this was probably surprising, starting a nair then fast falling it can cover effectively the entire recovery option for falcon's up-B. the "Fast Fall Shell Wall"

5:46 - lol, he taunted, many people fail to realize how for back squirtle can recover from

//D-smash to short hop Dair is an excellent punish as they come out of shield, this is definitely something that's going in my bag of tricks

6:07 - once again, even though falcon's up-b grab box can be intimidating, running off the ledge into a nair on top of him should send him out an an unrecoverable angle. Bubble, while perhaps a safe edgeguard, is most often ineffective, nair on the otherhand has armor and is safer than many would assume, while also being able to send at a low angle (like bubble) with more knockback

//You get a lot of reward from poking with d-tilt, be wary of making this a habit as crouch canceling can really punish this. I suggest an immediate first jab following d-tilt, even if they CC jab1 can save you with a clank or even throw off their CC allowing for a grab. Obviously falcon's d-tlit is a little slow for a CC option, so in this matchup I think it's pretty safe for squirtle to d-tilt poke.

//While you dair often as your aerial coverage move, not only can an opponent DI/SDI out of it very quickly, but against a fast faller such as captain falcon, up-air chains could stack on a ton of damage if you were to use that instead, or perhaps even as a followup to Dair.

6:55 - while this may just have been tournament nerves, tech chasing using withdraw is usually a bad option and should be avoided

9:20 (second match) - great to see you punish a getup attack with hydro-grab. This is an incredible option, and is perhaps the most potent use of hydrograbbing.

9:28 - Fthrow to Fair. Adding this to my bag of tricks

12:04 - Shades taunt to up-smash kill. Very stylish.

All in all you're shell-shift neutral game is excellent, there are some fast faller specific combos you could do and many of your combo starters are susceptible to CC. I would suggest practicing shell-slinging into aerials as I don't think you ever did it in your matches, a very potent offensive option for squirtle as you play decidedly defensive, so that is likely your greatest course of improvement (check out the advanced techniques thread if you don't know how to shell-sling).

@ D Daftatt Yeah I know how to use just about all of Squirt's Hydro Smashes, they just weren't being timed right lol. I know how to shell sling as well, Im just starting to in put it into combo starters. Are shell sling airs very punishable? I would love to have another approach option

QraQ

Smash Ace
@ D Daftatt Yeah I know how to use just about all of Squirt's Hydro Smashes, they just weren't being timed right lol. I know how to shell sling as well, Im just starting to in put it into combo starters. Are shell sling airs very punishable? I would love to have another approach option
Shellsling nair is prolly his best option out of it with the guard frames, not to mention it's tech chase potential is huge. SS dair is great for poke --->pivot/JC grab. Bair has the farthest reach of his aerials out of SS. SS uair is fantastic for combo extension across stage and approaching platforms.

SS Watergun is the best one shellsling extension Squirtle can make. Can clear most stage from startup to opposite ledge.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
What a coincidence, I was working on dair>grabs last night. I think if you time it perfect you should be able to grab them after shffling it before the hard hit, but if you can get the hard hit to pop them up for a grab then that's obviously safer.

QraQ

Smash Ace

I love your movement and consistent approach use of shellsling. You're very fast and fluid with your midair extensions.

Only comment I could have is diversifying your close range game. Most times in the front of their shield you would do a full jab combo. I feel this usually only works for people who 1) are dumb enough to break shield too quick after first/second jab and 2) fishing for a shield poke which also is based on the opponent messing up their shield tilts. I find a single or double jab into dtilt or crouch walk attack is effective for consistent shield pressure, positioning and grab setups.

Your matches against Fox needed some patience. It seemed like you were trying to to drive-by's a lot to set up openings so Fox just waited out your movement. A consistent approach option I use for Fox is baiting with shellshift and faking into shellsling aerials for setups. Also the inside game I mentioned earlier is effective.

QraQ

Smash Ace
What a coincidence, I was working on dair>grabs last night. I think if you time it perfect you should be able to grab them after shffling it before the hard hit, but if you can get the hard hit to pop them up for a grab then that's obviously safer.
Agreed full-hardy! I think dair is one Squirtle's best pressure and combos tools tbh. Any dair hit on most shield can be followed up with a grab for stationary and a pivot grab for rolls out of shield. Squirtles pivot grab is ridiculous for tech chase and roll reads @_@

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I'm not so sure how safe that is on shield actually, my intuitive guess is that its probably pretty unsafe, but I could be wrong about that. I need some data to confirm.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
http://www.twitch.tv/m/597711
BTW, I am drunk in the vid. I play a lot throughout the record, a ton of movement and spacing. I definitely get better as the video goes on since I wasn't warmed up at the start

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
http://www.twitch.tv/m/597711
BTW, I am drunk in the vid. I play a lot throughout the record, a ton of movement and spacing. I definitely get better as the video goes on since I wasn't warmed up at the start
You should tell your Yoshi friend to incorporate Yoshi's pivot grab into his game more, it's one of his best answers against squirtle shenanigans.

As for your squirtle, the first thing that immediately popped in my head about your play is that you should use more wd OoS. There were times that you shielded expecting the projectile, and then when it didn't come, you would just drop your shield rather than wd in and close the space. At 9:28 for example, you shield twice and then just drop it twice when it seems that you could have shielded the first time, and then immediately have gotten in on him with a wd in OoS.

Your neutral game is nice. I'll have to watch more

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
You should tell your Yoshi friend to incorporate Yoshi's pivot grab into his game more, it's one of his best answers against squirtle shenanigans.

As for your squirtle, the first thing that immediately popped in my head about your play is that you should use more wd OoS. There were times that you shielded expecting the projectile, and then when it didn't come, you would just drop your shield rather than wd in and close the space. At 9:28 for example, you shield twice and then just drop it twice when it seems that you could have shielded the first time, and then immediately have gotten in on him with a wd in OoS.

Yeah, my sheilding was off for sure, thanks for the compliment :) I work very hard on my neutral and movement

didds

Smash Lord
Yeah, my sheilding was off for sure, thanks for the compliment :) I work very hard on my neutral and movement
Were you more of a solo player for a bit before you got into the competitive scene cause I've been working on the same issues. My neutral and offensive game are solid, but I've really struggled to alter my DI and OoS game (bad cpu habits).

Once you get your Shield game down you'll be a force to fear. I only saw shield drop, shield grab, and rolls out of you so far so once you get that improved people will prolly rarely touch you. Even if I'm no where near my opponent while shielding, I'll still try to wd OoS just for the practice and habit of it. I also didn't see many aerials OoS, but I think that was more of a you were never in range thing.

edit: side b platform cancels are great mixup for recovery and not too tricky to get the spacing on.

As for neutral game, sometimes a random waveland in to grab or dsmash (or whatever really, I like to throw ftilts if the percent is high enough) can catch opponents off guard. Almost Luigi-esque.

After grabbing ledge, drop > DJ > waveland onto stage can (I think) be perfectly safe and hard to see coming, his waveland length gives you plenty of space and it's pretty easy to just roll out of it, grab, or throw out an attack. Waveland to roll is a hell of a lot safer than roll from ledge :/

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman

I don't play Yoshi :(

moneyman

Smash Rookie
This is a thing, I'm not 100% happy with it, but here you guys go

Feel free to criticize or give pointers, I'm in charge of the stream, so I can do a part 2 whenever I want haha

Zwarm, I just wanted to say your video is fantastic. I've watched it probably about 4 or 5 times and spent the good portion of the day practicing all of the different techniques in the video. I wish there was a little more time to discuss MUs but I realize there was a time constraint. Again thank you so much for the video, it has and will continue to serve as a great resource for anybody who wants to play this character.

Top Bottom