• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hall of Fame - Squirtle Video Thread

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I just like going WarioWare or Green Hill Zone if I ever stray from the starters. Rumble Falls isn't legal around here, so I have no idea how it is with Squirtle, but I can see the advantages it might have for him.

cmart

Smash Lord
Runble Falls?
Low ceiling for waterfall/upsmash kills, close sidelines for gimps/downthrow, a lot of space to run around in. It's pretty much turtle heaven.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Runble Falls?
Low ceiling for waterfall/upsmash kills, close sidelines for gimps/downthrow, a lot of space to run around in. It's pretty much turtle heaven.
the dip in the stage leaves for really fast Side-B tech chasing. And I've gotten all the aquajet jump points down now.

QraQ

Smash Ace
On another note, I'm not sure if I found something with squirtle but has anyone ever perfect jump cancel out of shellshift, canceling the shell animation altogether. It sends the entire length of Pokemon Stadium and you can do long sliding fsmash (much like DACUS except not). I'll post a vid of me soon training it. I was just checking if anyone else is aware of this huge mobility tool.

Mind the crap inbetween. I start doing the usmashes around 1:35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUv009IUq70&feature=c4-overview&list=UUi28uMtRxJSnRnaDiheZKAQ

Zwarm

Smash Hero
On another note, I'm not sure if I found something with squirtle but has anyone ever perfect jump cancel out of shellshift, canceling the shell animation altogether. It sends the entire length of Pokemon Stadium and you can do long sliding fsmash (much like DACUS except not). I'll post a vid of me soon training it. I was just checking if anyone else is aware of this huge mobility tool.

Mind the crap inbetween. I start doing the usmashes around 1:35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUv009IUq70&feature=c4-overview&list=UUi28uMtRxJSnRnaDiheZKAQ
Yeah, the up smash was in Brawl, and I've been using it as long as I've played Squirtle in both games.

Fun fact, in some cases of DI or whatever, ftilt to up smash is a true combo when using the reverse shellshift upsmash. It's the most satisfying thing to do, I swear.

And the fsmash, you can do the attack either way and still retain the momentum. I haven't found a solid use for the reverse (like attacking behind the way you shellshift) besides slidey mindgames, but the forward fsmash is super useful to catch people off guard, as it makes the attack cover that much more ground. I don't know if my explanations make any sense, so let me know if I need to make a video or something, or like explain something more.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I believe it's then a true hydroplane. Brawl videos are still really useful for all the Brawl characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqoeTQV0ss

Have you attempted the 2 SH Bair WLs in a row yet?
I've attempted it, it's freaking hard.

I have to use tap jump or claw to do stuff like that.

Also Reflex referred to it as a reverse hydroplane which imo is more descriptive.

Fun fact, in some cases of DI or whatever, ftilt to up smash is a true combo when using the reverse shellshift upsmash. It's the most satisfying thing to do, I swear.
Reverse ftilt can lead into fair kills

QraQ

Smash Ace
I've just tapped into this AT (which I call Shell Tech on my own -.-) for the nastiest off-edge guards. How is noone else freaking out about this mechanic? lol

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Are you talking about reverse/true hydroplane or something else? The only other thing I thing I noticed was a lot of shellslinging but since it looked like you were mostly just messing around with those I didn't pay very close attention. Can you mark where in the video you do this "shell tech"?

QraQ

Smash Ace
Maybe it's that. It's just the longest jump you can do out of shellshift.
1:46-1:49 is the kind of off edge potential I'm finding with it. Although, I've been getting out there faster and farther lately.
It's becoming obvious that I didn't figure this out but what I'm wondering is why I don't see it much to at all in the squirtle videos I've watched.
It's seems like such an integral tool.

Also, I've been finding the shell stall in shell shift to be such a good mind game and approach tool.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Yea, that's just shellsling, its always been there, it just got a big buff in 2.6. I use it a lot, sadly not every match I ever play gets uploaded.

Still, I am certain that I use it in those videos I posted recently. Are you not watching my videos QraQ? I watch yours :cry:.

QraQ

Smash Ace
I guess I don't really recall them. Or, at the time, I prolly didn't even recognize the tech.

Where are your vids Burnsy? I cant find them on the first page.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
They're on page 2. Looks like the thread hasn't been updated with them. Not surprised, they're very recent.

QraQ

Smash Ace
They're on page 2. Looks like the thread hasn't been updated with them. Not surprised, they're very recent.
Watched and am impressed. Although, I didn't see much of "shellslinging" nor it's offstage edge-guard capabilities. You mostly stuck to water gun and bubble for edge guarding. Not to say that isn't a strong tactic, I just feel like the potential of shellslinging leaves a very viable option for edge-guarding.

On another note, a sweet change up I've been doing lately is the shellstall from shellshifting ( initiating no further control stick input after the initial quick turn input). It allows me to shield pressure and hold placement behind their shield.
Does anyone else use this tactic?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I haven't tried using it specifically like that, but I do see some of the potential it has in that sort of mixup, I'll have to try your idea.

Relevant to shell stall mixups, its also interesting to note that you have about half a second to re-start the ending portion of your shellshift after stopping in shellstall. This minor quirk may actually have some pretty interesting mixup applications. If you look at his shellshift as his own sort of dashdance tech, this is basically giving him the ability to mixup the length/specific execution of that dashdance for improved mind games.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Going off what QraQ does with the shell stall, if on the ground and using withdraw, you can turn around at the last second, and even if you hit their shield, you end up floating right above them, which is great for shield pressure or baiting reactions out of people.

Also I use shell slinging literally all the time, but there are very few videos of me out there, and I don't like using it in the spacies or sword MU's, which is like all the videos there are of me.

It's kinda sad, there's more footage of my secondary Mewtwo out there than there is of my Squirtle.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Also I use shell slinging literally all the time, but there are very few videos of me out there, and I don't like using it in the spacies or sword MU's, which is like all the videos there are of me.
Ima have to try that mixup sometime.

Can you explain how it's bad in the spacies MU?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Because when your're getting them offstage, you are never at a distance where it's useful to use the extended jump unless they are already far enough off the stage to live in the first place. It might be useful against Wolf, but I've never found a use for it against Fox or Falco, personally.

QraQ

Smash Ace
I feel like it catches Fox and Falco well out of their Up-B. I don't test it vs Falco's side-B but it's fairly easy to read Fox's sideB. It also provides a good setup for already viable edge-guard options (bubble/water gun).
Wolf is pretty easily caught out of his recoveries. The sweet spot setup to Over-B is pretty obvious imo.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I mean yeah, it would catch them well out of their up B's, but Squirtle is generally (hopefully) gimping them at low percents, and the distance you are from them usually doesn't give you a chance to use the shell sling, and would be much better off just jumping off normally to hit them with bair or bubble.

QraQ

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV1pHe4LjhU

sorry about the random *** music the sound was bad whenever we started to review it so i figured instead of watching dead silence for half an hr i'd at least have something play in the background

Can I get someone to critique this
Hey Tripp,
I watched 2 matches and have some things I saw:
You overshoot moves often, this may be a lack of understanding opposing characters weight. I find Samus to be a hard matchup for Squirtle considering the strength of her CC and ability to take midair with projectiles.
The best way I've found to approach Samus is either 1) do a low ground approach with crouch walk attack and/or 2) shell-slinging over projectiles (right outside the range of her dsmash usually).

I notice that your mind games consist mainly of doing shell-shift as a sort of "dash dance". Now, shell-shift is an obvious "bread and butter" tool of Squirtle, but I think as the Squirtle game is evolving and becoming much more apparent, this form of DD allows for large opening if used for an approach outside of shell-slinging. I do a combined mixups of DD, WD and MW in my Squirtle movement game which allows for a dominant form of spacing. It seems as though this kind of movement comes out more in the 2nd and 3rd match but is inconsistent mostly.

I see that you use smash moves often, but are having a hard time hitting them. I personally think Squirtle's smash moves are very limited in their uses. Usmash is the only one I use frequent and it's because it's the best one to shell-shift them into for a kill (I call it whirlpooling =]). Dsmash is pretty good with it's "pull" feature and multiple hitboxes, but I find it's poor range and priority as it's major downfall. In most situations, downtilt and crouch walk attack, CWA, are better options for their combo potential and cooldown. Now Fsmash is a trick beast. Doing the sliding fsmash out of shell-shift is satisfying, but is hardly practical in a combo sense and too complicated as a kill move. Reposition your opponent with shell-shifts into a usmash usually feels like a better option to me.

Recap:
1) Work on understanding the weight of your opponent for placement of moves and overall positioning.
2) Practice shell-sling approach.
3) Work on movement/mixups in neutral game
4) Choose your smashes wisely.

I hope this helps. Your Squirtle looks tight.

Last edited:

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Recap:
1) Work on understanding the weight of your opponent for placement of moves and overall positioning.
2) Practice shell-sling approach.
3) Work on movement/mixups in neutral game
4) Choose your smashes wisely.

I hope this helps. Your Squirtle looks tight.
Yea Samus is weird with her weight... its like floaty to mid range and i wasn't really sure what to do with it. thank you though I'll practice what you told me about.. I really appreciate the critique and the compliment... I practice with him all the time

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I see that you use smash moves often, but are having a hard time hitting them. I personally think Squirtle's smash moves are very limited in their uses.
I strongly disagree with you on dsmash, its range is very respectable and it is cable of comboing into itself as well as whichever aerial will net him the most benefit (percentage/character/positioning dependant), grab (on non-floaties), and eventually into fair or uair kills. Its medium armor and multihits lasting until the end of the move also make it difficult to punish.

Fsmash can be pretty safe on shield due to how much pushback he achieves, esepcially if you are moving backwards while you are using it. There's no shame in using it to try to poke at an enemy sparingly; the medium armor protects you pretty well up until high percents.

Guess it's been a while since I posted some of my videos

Vs K9 (MK, Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eCIOL_kN6I January

Vs SS (Olimar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shtvFLbtb_E February

Vs Nazo (Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7SIQFFiGYE January

Goofing off (pre-3.0):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKUOShdw98

I think I've got one more I wanna share from the Feb tournament, still not sure what channel it was uploaded to.

Last edited:

QraQ

Smash Ace
I strongly disagree with you on dsmash, its range is very respectable and it is cable of comboing into itself as well as whichever aerial will net him the most benefit (percentage/character/positioning dependant), grab (on non-floaties), and eventually into fair or uair kills. Its medium armor and multihits lasting until the end of the move also make it difficult to punish.

Fsmash can be pretty safe on shield due to how much pushback he achieves, esepcially if you are moving backwards while you are using it. There's no shame in using it to try to poke at an enemy sparingly; the medium armor protects you pretty well up until high percents.
I feel like dsmash goes against the mobility and tricky aspect of Squirtle. It does have good combo potential at low to high % but it's hardly a good substitute to either crouch walk attack or dtilt for setup strength. Also, it really is not that strong in the sense of fighting another move, and because it keeps you immobile, missing it just means your opponent has the understood choice in a set of stronger moves. Disjointed hitboxes destroy dsmash use as well. I stated fsmash has it's uses, only for the fact that it can be implemented into his mobility game. Fsmash being safe to use on shield is a good point that I don't utilize enough.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
@ Burnsy Burnsy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eCIOL_kN6I#t=1001
Was the side-b turning before/after u hit him intentional? Was that making use of the new quick turn around mechanic they added, though I think when that happens he's suppose to turn yellow? You pry confused the heck out of him with that but if you woulda went straight he'd pry be offstage which coulda been better idk.

Why didn't he want to go MK vs Squirtle? And beyond that, I'm not sure why he'd pick Smashville since that's one of the stages I'd consider taking Falco myself

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
He just wanted to do well with Falco, he said during the tournament that he was inspired by a Falco. I think he's aware that the MU is much better for MK.

I think that wasn't intentional, but I can't really remember haha. Remind me how the quick turnaround works? Is it where you turn and then a split second later press jump?

@ QraQ QraQ
I dunno man. I find that in a lot of cases dsmash is a go to move for reads, punisher, combo starter, anti-cc, and tech chases means that frequent usage is pretty rewarding. I think crawl tilt and dtilt are great grounded options as well, but I can't act as if they do all the same things dsmash does. They're different tools.

I don't understand how it goes against the tricky aspect of Squirtle, the way it works into his shellshift combos and tech chases.

Last edited:

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
@ QraQ QraQ Yea I'd have to say Burnsy is correct here. One difference in attack is that Dsmash does cover both front and back and depending on the DI of course it tends to lean towards it popping my opponent right above me which makes for a great mix up for stuff like up tilt chains and even up air combo games. down tilt does the same a lot too in the manor of the pop up but it does send them forwards more along with it only covers the front half of the attack making it better for attacks such as Fair... at least in my experiences... However they do create great set ups for both. I think both together do work well for mix ups on how to pop your opponent up for the situation your after. Honestly the more i play the samus player that i played in my video the more i see that its better to Dtilt where as a FF I usually catch them in the Dsmash and combo feed myself into happiness. Along with it does true combo itself into Usmash so there is that option too for future kill moves.

Now if mobility is an issue there is always SS Dsmash where you slide your Dsmash... this is actually one of my preferred methods of dealing with spacies because one it trips them up seeing this a lot of times... and two there is enough armor on this and disjoint in the hit box that it covers a lot more options in my opinion. So basically just because one move seems kinda iffy don't just remove it from your arsenal or else your playing at a handy cap

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Tripp, what is your method for performing SS dsmash? I find it terribly inconsistent the way I do it, to the point that I gave up trying to get it down.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
enter Shell Shuffle Hit at the bar between 45 and directly down on the C Stick and just kept practicing it until it became muscle memory

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
also it is depends on whenever your coming out of your shell i've noticed... if you do it too soon it won't work... if you do it later it works better.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt

I was pretty critical of JewChainz earlier squirtle showings, but I have to say this latest S@X was impressive he is actually moving around the way a squirtle player should, and his up-throw combos have really upped my own game. Also the commentator drops a lot of squirtle tips, like the DI trap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom