• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Honestly, it literally KILLS me inside that I didn't contribute more money to HGH. I hate the fact that I can't vote, play the demo, or get a Shantae t-shirt. I'll forever kick myself for not giving more.

Perhaps it was because I didn't have a lot of money at the time... I don't remember.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I just wanna preface my response by saying that one of the nice things about this thread is being able to have lively and civil discussions with reasonable people, so thank you for giving me that pleasure lol.

I should clarify the point I'm making. I am not arguing that a 2D fighter for indies couldn't work, or even that it couldn't work well. Rather I am making the case that the style of movement and combat in a platform fighter is much better suited to faithfully representing platforming characters, and is thus a better fit for an indie crossover fighting game.

The Mega Man example you brought up is a good illustration of this point. I'd say they did a pretty good job portraying Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom. In fact it's hard for me to imagine them doing much better than that in a 2D fighter.

So let's compare.

Here is Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom (all timestamped for you and ready to go):

Now here is Mega Man in Smash Bros (I would have used the super hype Mega Man matches from MLG last night but they aren't uploaded anywhere I could find yet):

Now compare those with some random gameplay from Mega Man 2:

If Mega Man looks more authentic in Smash Bros, that goes double for actually controlling him. When you play Mega Man in Smash you really feel like you are playing Mega Man from the original games. Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom is neat, but it's not the same. The fundamental reason for the difference is that Smash Bros provides an engine where Mega Man can move and attack platforming style just like he does in his original games, whereas Marvel vs. Capcom does not.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea, and an indie crossover 2D fighter could be really cool. For the reasons above though I really think platform fighter is the way to go.

Oh and another important reason I didn't talk about before: we are in desperate need of more great platform fighters. There are already tons of great traditional 2D fighters, but as far as platform fighters go it's basically just the Smash Bros series and probably Rivals of Aether when it comes out. That's crazy. Platform fighter is such a great genre, and yet it's so under-explored. Seeing a big, innovative, indie crossover game in that style would almost be even more exciting for me than Shantae appearing in Smash.

I guess ultimately it comes down to personal preference, and I have no contention with you if you just happen to like the idea of a 2D fighter better. But those are my reasons for being all on board for a platform fighter instead.

EDIT: fixed the timestamps

EDIT: fixed the timestamps again (for real this time)
Yeah, the real difference here in this surprisingly tame argument (probably a first on a Smash-Related page) between us is perference. :T

I just feel that it would be a more fitting approach, as most indie devs have shown that they are interested in putting a modern spin on old concepts, as shown by Shovel Knight and the recent "Spritual Succesor" games that have been popping up recently, so tackling an Arcade experience seems like a nice idea. The elaborate movesets that fighting games usually require can truly show what the characters are truly capable of.

And... I'm kindof getting sick of recent big-name fighting games usually feeling slower, heavier, and somewhat more clunky with the whole "full 3D" thing... There needs to more games like Skullgirls or Guilty Gear, that really bring back the look and feel of a fighting generation long-gone, fantastic 2D art, immserive enviornments, without all of the obscurity of those games driving people away from playing it.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Here's the winning Rottytops outfit! Honestly, she looks great! I knew we could count on the fans to pick the best outfit.

can't wait for the r34 of it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Awesome that's one I hope would win, time to draw it~

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
So does anyone else try to imagine what the other characters sound like if they had a voice? We already know Shantae and Risky's voice actor's but I think it's sort of fun to think who voice the rest of the cast.

The only clear one I have right now is for Rottytops, I imaged Kristi Kang for her voice. I specifically know her as Levy McGarden from Fairy Tail. Here's a sample of her voice:

Note: Honestly I really struggled to find her voice in English. She's the girl with the blue hair talking between 7:50 to about 8:20 or so.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Yeah, the real difference here in this surprisingly tame argument (probably a first on a Smash-Related page) between us is perference. :T

I just feel that it would be a more fitting approach, as most indie devs have shown that they are interested in putting a modern spin on old concepts, as shown by Shovel Knight and the recent "Spritual Succesor" games that have been popping up recently, so tackling an Arcade experience seems like a nice idea. The elaborate movesets that fighting games usually require can truly show what the characters are truly capable of.

And... I'm kindof getting sick of recent big-name fighting games usually feeling slower, heavier, and somewhat more clunky with the whole "full 3D" thing... There needs to more games like Skullgirls or Guilty Gear, that really bring back the look and feel of a fighting generation long-gone, fantastic 2D art, immserive enviornments, without all of the obscurity of those games driving people away from playing it.
Yeah at this point it mostly boils down to which style of game makes you say, "oh man I really wanna play that!" And of course there's no right or wrong there.

I do want to comment on what you said in your last paragraph though. I'm not sure if I totally agree that people are being driven away from fighting games because they are becoming slower, heavier, and clunkier. Setting aside the question of whether or not they really are, 2D fighting games have always had a high entry to barrier, because of the complexity of the attacks and multi-input moves and combos. It takes a lot of practice for someone with no fighting game experience to get good enough to really enjoy it properly. That goes equally for fast-paced 2D fighters like Skull Girls. Platforming games are very intuitive and approachable in comparison. Platform fighters like Smash Bros end up somewhere in the middle due to the way they combine elements of each. Also I don't think this is what you were trying to say, but platform fighters are definitely not slow, heavy, or clunky by their nature.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I like the Shantae images they used in the new enemy reveal. Super cute as usual.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Annoying star-shaped enemies with large eyes in the middle of them, that damage you and slow you down.

Sounds familiar...
image.jpg
has war flashbacks

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Annoying star-shaped enemies with large eyes in the middle of them, that damage you and slow you down.

Sounds familiar...View attachment 78974has war flashbacks
God I hated those badniks...but not as much as the mantis one with the boomerang like hooks >.>

And god Shantae keeps gettin' cuter seriously why would ANYONE hate her she's too cute to hate...then again THIS IS the internet there will be haters

Mighty Minotaur

Smash Cadet
Oh dear...
This isn't Shantae related, but I felt like I wanted to vent (Because my brother never listens to me vent anyway.)
I just heard that if Indivisible doesn't get fully funded, then there will be no more Lab Zero Games. Which means no more Skullgirls.
I haven't played Skullgirls yet, mainly due to the fear of my Steam friends judging me because of its insane levels of hyper-sexuality, but I really like the look and concept of it. I was considering jumping on the Skullgirls bandwagon a couple days ago, when I found out that Lab Zero isn't going to be updating it anymore. This really upset me, because probably my biggest gripe besides what I said above is the really small character roster. No more updates, no new characters. ;_;
They did say that they might make a second game, but that technically won't happen unless Indivisble gets funded.
Guys, I'm scared. ;_______;
(Because it's been 14 days of the 30 day campaign, and Indivisble is only 23% funded!)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

"Muh gurl, this lamp is what all true genies strive for..."

"I just wonder what Risky's up to!"

This is still my favorite thing to come out of Matt Bozon's twitter.

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
So does anyone else try to imagine what the other characters sound like if they had a voice? We already know Shantae and Risky's voice actor's but I think it's sort of fun to think who voice the rest of the cast.

The only clear one I have right now is for Rottytops, I imaged Kristi Kang for her voice. I specifically know her as Levy McGarden from Fairy Tail. Here's a sample of her voice:

Note: Honestly I really struggled to find her voice in English. She's the girl with the blue hair talking between 7:50 to about 8:20 or so.
Huh, I kind of like it. just add a more mischievous tone and it can make a good Rotty.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Huh, I kind of like it. just add a more mischievous tone and it can make a good Rotty.
Yeah, exactly. Kristi's voice has got this sexy mature aspect I really like to it. I think it would fit Rotty really well.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I think she'd fit as well, personally for Rottytops, I went with Lauren Landa, something along the lines of her Kyoto voice:
and ironically, I think something similar to her Squigly voice could work for her human form

Anyway, here's my full list so far:
Risky Boots: Laura Post, Erin Fitzgerald or Karen Strassman (I dunno if I'd really keep Cristina as Risky since she only provided the laugh, but I dunno)
Rottytops: Lauren Landa
Sky: Carrie Keranen, Caitlin Glass or Julie Ann Taylor
Bolo: Lucien Dodge
Mimic: Charles Martinet
Mayor Scuttlebutt: having trouble finding someone fitting, maybe Kaiji Tang or David Vincent?
Abner Cadaver: Christopher Corey Smith or Kyle Hebert
Poe: Casey Robertson or Sean Schemmel
Barracuda Joe: Josh Tomar
Squid Baron: Scott Whyte
Ammo Baron: Patrick Seitz

Others:
Hypno Baron: Liam O' Brien
Twitch/Vinegar: Stephanie Komure
Techno Baron: Edwyn Tiong
Brandon/Bran-Son: Martin Billany
Sky's mother: Erika Harlacher
Sky's father: Kirk Thornton
Hexer: Alan Oppenheimer
Pirate Master: Jamieson Price or Patrick Seitz
If anyone has any advice for these, please let me know

Last edited:

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet

I feel the person who voiced patty in soul eater would work well as rottytops also

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQi1UyEXs4M

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
I think she'd fit as well, personally for Rottytops, I went with Lauren Landa, something along the lines of her Kyoto voice:
and ironically, I think something similar to her Squigly voice could work for her human form

Anyway, here's my full list so far:
Risky Boots: Laura Post, Erin Fitzgerald or Karen Strassman (I dunno if I'd really keep Cristina as Risky since she only provided the laugh, but I dunno)
Rottytops: Lauren Landa
Sky: Carrie Keranen, Caitlin Glass or Julie Ann Taylor
Bolo: Lucien Dodge
Mimic: Charles Martinet
Mayor Scuttlebutt: having trouble finding someone fitting, maybe Kaiji Tang or David Vincent?
Abner Cadaver: Christopher Corey Smith or Kyle Hebert
Poe: Casey Robertson or Sean Schemmel
Barracuda Joe: Josh Tomar
Squid Baron: Scott Whyte
Ammo Baron: Patrick Seitz

Others:
Hypno Baron: Liam O' Brien
Twitch/Vinegar: Stephanie Komure
Techno Baron: Edwyn Tiong
Brandon/Bran-Son: Martin Billany
Sky's mother: Erika Harlacher
Sky's father: Kirk Thornton
Hexer: Alan Oppenheimer
Pirate Master: Jamieson Price or Patrick Seitz
If anyone has any advice for these, please let me know
I'd still perfectly A-Ok prefer Cristina Vee still be voicing over Risky Boots position, even though we've all know she's obviously voicing our Half-Genie girl: Shantae in SMASH BROS 4 3DS/WII U versions in time! Really!
shantae_forever_by_theorderofnightmare-d8l4qt8.png
10675712_1541256432790510_1852556101587403760_n Cristina Vee.jpg
218px-Tpc_artwork_gn3 Risky Boots Shantae.jpg
P.S: #ShantaeForSmash & RiskyBootsForSmash, Y'ALL-GOOD L-U-C-K, THO!

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I'd still perfectly A-Ok prefer Cristina Vee still be voicing over Risky Boots position, even though we've all know she's obviously voicing our Half-Genie girl: Shantae in SMASH BROS 4 3DS/WII U versions in time! Really!View attachment 79114 View attachment 79113 View attachment 79115 P.S: #ShantaeForSmash & RiskyBootsForSmash, Y'ALL-GOOD L-U-C-K, THO!
Cool she voiced Sailor Mars didn't know that and is that actually how she looks ? Cuz damn she's pretty~

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
From a Japanese artist on twitter who's name I keep forgetting.

He's also done some Legend of Valkyrie stuff, I'll tell you that.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'd still perfectly A-Ok prefer Cristina Vee still be voicing over Risky Boots position, even though we've all know she's obviously voicing our Half-Genie girl: Shantae in SMASH BROS 4 3DS/WII U versions in time! Really!View attachment 79114 View attachment 79113 View attachment 79115 P.S: #ShantaeForSmash & RiskyBootsForSmash, Y'ALL-GOOD L-U-C-K, THO!
Sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the first part of your sentence, and personally I'd prefer if someone else took over Risky Boots, I love Vee as Shantae and while I've heard her use a deeper voice, I just don't know about the range and emotion she can get out of that voice, especially when all I heard of her Risky is that laugh, it's possible she can pull it off, but I'm just not sure if she'd be the right fit

0:16 is the only voice I've heard from her so far that would be fitting

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Off topic, but Jake "Virt" Kaufman just tweeted a video of someone playing the main theme to Shovel Knight and Strike the Earth/Plains of Passage on an accordian.
It's wonderful.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Half-Genie Hero is coming out this winter.
  • Shantae Half-Genie Hero from WayForward: Experience Shantae’s first HD big-screen Wii U adventure! In Shantae Half-Genie Hero, players explore action-packed worlds, conquer diabolical bosses and belly dance to transform Shantae into powerful new forms. Shantae Half-Genie Hero launches in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U this winter.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
"Shovel Knight only appeared in one game. Even then, it didn't do very well in the eyes of the general public, so his chances of being in Smash are low."

Sounds familiar. :popo:

"Even though Shantae is an ongoing series, her chances are low, since the popularity is based on it's obscurity and cult following, and has only really achieved it recently because of Smash, more specifically the ballot."

Huh...:4ness::4lucas:

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
"Shovel Knight only appeared in one game. Even then, it didn't do very well in the eyes of the general public, so his chances of being in Smash are low."

"Even though Shantae is an ongoing series, her chances are low, since the popularity is based on it's obscurity and cult following, and has only really achieved it recently because of Smash, more specifically the ballot."

You're comparing First Party to Third Party it is really not a fair comparison at all. If you want to compare Shantae to other franchises in sales at least compare how well she is to other third parties. She's still third party meaning not at all owned by Nintendo. 1st and 2nd Party Nintendo owned characters doesn't matter how they are in sales. It they are owned whole-hardheartedly by Nintendo, have an interesting for a move set, and have some kind of popularity going for them then they'll get into Smash at some point. With third parties it is completely different ball game in terms of how they get picked.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

The analogies aren't perfect, but what analogy is?

Ice Climbers was chosen because it's retro and nobody expected them. Shovel Knight is in the public consciousness, and isn't actually a retro dead series.
Earthbound didn't get a cult following recently because of Smash / the ballot.
And what PrettyIvyPearls22 PrettyIvyPearls22 said.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the first part of your sentence, and personally I'd prefer if someone else took over Risky Boots, I love Vee as Shantae and while I've heard her use a deeper voice, I just don't know about the range and emotion she can get out of that voice, especially when all I heard of her Risky is that laugh, I'll bet she can pull it off, but I'm just not sure if she'd be the right fit

0:16 is the only voice I've heard from her so far that would be fitting
True, but what I'm saying is dat I feel for Cristina Vee can still do a better job technique to work it out with voicing Risky Boots, somehow and takes time to pull it off perfectly, ok! You know what, I'm saying, Wademan94 Wademan94 !

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So if Shantae gets in does anyone think she'll have a Japanese voice for the Japanese dub?

Top Bottom