• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Every time I see that Shovel Knight is placing gaps ahead of Shantae, it makes it that much harder for me to want to buy his game. Smash Ballot is destroying me...
The more I see Shantae the more I want to buy her games Pirates Curse & 1/2 Genie Hero in the future.

Shovel K? nah. Dunno why but his game just doesn't appeal to me in any way. Too retro inspired maybe.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Every time I see that Shovel Knight is placing gaps ahead of Shantae, it makes it that much harder for me to want to buy his game. Smash Ballot is destroying me...
(I haven't done it yet but I know Shovel Knight is painfully easy to torrent with it being under 400 megs)

I've played it on the PS4 and it really feels a lot like Mega Man. I personally would like it a lot more if it decided to have it's own art style and presentation, rather than be another 8-bit indie game. The gameplay and music are solid as they are.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
(I haven't done it yet but I know Shovel Knight is painfully easy to torrent with it being under 400 megs)

I've played it on the PS4 and it really feels a lot like Mega Man. I personally would like it a lot more if it decided to have it's own art style and presentation, rather than be another 8-bit indie game.
I agree SK would be better if had it's own flair and style like Shantae I tried it out it feels too much like Mega Man and Cave Story to me

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Support Shantae for Smash.

Please... Do it for Samus.
image.jpg

There has to be someone to show Samus that she's loved.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Oh, please, everyone knows the most depressing thing about Metroid and anniversery celebrations is how they're celebrating with Federation Force.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone's mentioned it before but I'm really liking the new contrast of 2D Shantae vs the 3D background. It just feels so natural to me.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
http://strawpoll.me/5813790

Mr. Etika posted the top ten list to vote. Go vote for Shantae.
NOW he says something about the straw poll. I was expect him to say something about it the day the ballot ended, but oh well.

But honestly, while I just casted my vote for Shantae on the poll, I feel voting for one of the top 10 characters is pointless now. The ballot is over, so why keep doing this? Whether this gives us an idea or not, the votes could most likely be different compared to the ballot votes itself, especially after Shovel Knight was shot down for months before the Amiibo made everybody go nuts, again (the freakin' Amiibo that made people create "leaks" and "rumors" to no end).

So even of Shantae doesn't place 1st, or even 2nd or 3rd, it doesn't tell us anything. Which is why I'm just gonna wait for Sakurai to step up and say something about it, instead of thinking about Etika's straw poll.

alexsather

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4227-3415-2654
User was warned for this post
Meh, I don't think that shantae should be in smash. i know someones gonna be like "OMGZZZZ YOU R NOT VOTIN FUR SHANTEA? UR STUPIDZ"

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I don't think that shantae should be in smash. i know someones gonna be like "OMGZZZZ YOU R NOT VOTIN FUR SHANTEA? UR STUPIDZ"
Na, it's your opinion. Not everyone has to vote for the same character. Besides, we don't argue with people just because they're not voting for Shantae. We just let them vote who they want to vote for, and call it a day.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
It amazes me that people think Shovel Knight has this much of a chance. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind him and would be as hyped as the next guy if any indie at all got into Smash, but at this point people have stopped rationalizing Shovel Knight's inclusion and just let his amiibo cram stars into their eyes. It's getting really annoying.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Indiecade is going on right now.
&

In case you guys want to take on a Super Mario Maker level made by Matt Bozon GO FOR IT!!

Last edited:

VisionEyes

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! ^^ I might be late to the party but I want to show my support for Shantae! so I made this:

#shantae4smash

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It amazes me that people think Shovel Knight has this much of a chance. I wouldn't mind him and would be as hyped as the next guy if any indie at all got into Smash, but at this point people have stopped rationalizing Shovel Knight's inclusion and just let his amiibo cram stars into their eyes. It's getting really annoying.
My comment was made in relation to the whole Shantae vs Shovel Knight argument brewing around the ballot. Not who I think stands a chance of "winning". Which btw, "people" need to realize the ballot isn't just some popularity contest and that it is more of a suggestion box. We've no idea what to expect. So don't shove that nonsense about what characters do and do not seem likely in people's faces.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Shantae, out of all indies, always gets the absolute shortest end of the stick, and it isn't fair, especially for the character who is arguably the first Indie icon.

Along with struggling to even get the original game made and released between 1994 and 2002, it took Shantae 13 years to get to the popularity status she currently has.

Five Nights at Freddy's exceeded that status within several months and got a movie deal with freaking Warner Brothers, based on games that take about 2 hours to make.

Mighty No. 9 near completely screwed over Half-Genie Hero a day after it's kickstarter opened.

Nintendo is treating Shovel Knight, a game that came out a year ago, better than any indie that actually has a strong bond with Nintendo (this includes CommanderVideo and Quote)

It's unfair.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Shantae, out of all indies, always gets the absolute shortest end of the stick, and it isn't fair, especially for the character who is arguably the first Indie icon.

Along with struggling to even get the original game made and released between 1994 and 2002, it took Shantae 13 years to get to the popularity status she currently has.

Five Nights at Freddy's exceeded that status within several months and got a movie deal with freaking Warner Brothers, based on games that take about 2 hours to make.

Mighty No. 9 near completely screwed over Half-Genie Hero a day after it's kickstarter opened.

Nintendo is treating Shovel Knight, a game that came out a year ago, better than any indie that actually has a strong bond with Nintendo (this includes CommanderVideo and Quote)

It's unfair.
Maybe Ninty would add Shantae because they feel sad for her. Then it won't be unfair. :p

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

It's unfair.
Don't worry Ricky. It just speaks for those people's salt for not having a physical copy of the first game, nor being able to beat it if they ever did magically acquire it through other means.

Jokes aside, Shantae will one day be recognized for how great of a series it really is. Smash Ballot and Half-Genine Hero are both proof of that.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
This scene kind of reminds me of Shantae's situation with people judging her. Just replace Wonder woman with Shantae.
Thanks for that. I had a good laugh and understood what message it's getting across. (Maybe we should show this to the detractors?)

Shantae, as a character, is like a blend of Diana/Wonder Woman and Doreen/Squirrel Girl to me. She's powerful and stands up for others, refusing to take any nonsense, but at the same time, she's also very fun and sweet.

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
This has been buzzing in my head for a while: I wonder how Shantae's popularity in the long run would be if the first game was released during the GBC's lifecycle instead of at the end.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
This has been buzzing in my head for a while: I wonder how Shantae's popularity in the long run would be if the first game was released during the GBC's lifecycle instead of at the end.
The game's obscurity and rarity was also based on the amount produced/shipped.

Capcom actually hid a good amount of Shantae cartridges in shipments of Resident Evil Gaiden.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Hey, do you want some art of indie characters depicted if they were younger?

No?

You're getting some anyway.

Young Shantae & Friends (+ Risky Boots) from Skull-Toaster on Tumblr
image.jpg

image.jpg

Young Sheild & Shovel Knight from wunderschisse on Rebloggy
image.jpg
I'm getting an insane amount of "Up" vibes from this.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Personally I prefer the Pirate's Curse version more, but this is still a pretty kickass remix, I wouldn't mind hearing both versions for her stage in Smash if she gets in
-Driving-

-Turns bass up-

-Turns song on-

evil laugh

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
It amazes me that people think Shovel Knight has this much of a chance. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind him and would be as hyped as the next guy if any indie at all got into Smash, but at this point people have stopped rationalizing Shovel Knight's inclusion and just let his amiibo cram stars into their eyes. It's getting really annoying.
People are so obsessed with Shovel Knight they can't see that the only thing Shovel Knight has going for him... is their obsession.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
hey that's what got Shulk in
I'm sorry what? Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazing game, but I'm pretty sure Shulk didn't have as many supporters before he was announced for Smash as Shovel Knight does now, nor were any of us Xenoblade fans as blindly obsessive over him as most SK fans are over him, shall I go on?

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Personally I prefer the Pirate's Curse version more, but this is still a pretty kickass remix, I wouldn't mind hearing both versions for her stage in Smash if she gets in
I'm really diggin this. This is so far my second favorite version of this track next to Burning Town Forever

Edit: And here's the remix for Scuttle Town if anyone is interested
Dem beats tho! I like it

Last edited:
Top Bottom