• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Artsy Omni has been doing those "smashified" renditions, such as Ray's and Banjo Kazooie's, who saw their popularity boosted.

So if you truly want Shantae to get noticed or to have a chance of winning that ballot, I highly advise everyone who is on the Shantae support list to request Artsy Omni to smashify her. There are two simple ways that you can do this: either tweet him "#Smashify Shantae", or post "#Smashify Shantae" on his YouTube videos.
There actually is a "smashified" Shantae, it wasn't made by Artsy Omni though.

Shog

Smash Ace
You know I find it irritating that as a belly dancer she isn't chubby but rather looks like she used something to push her waist like that...
am I the only one?

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
There actually is a "smashified" Shantae, it wasn't made by Artsy Omni though.
Yeah, while it is a great render (it really is and I love it), we're just talking about Omni's take on it. I've seen multiple Top 5-10 videos where when the person wants a character in smash, they would say "Look at Omni's work" as a reason they should be in smash (even though that sort of isn't a valid reason.) The point I'm trying to make is a big majority of the Smash community knows Omni. Omni doing a Smashified Shantae would bring so much awareness to the series and possibly could rake in more votes.

Besides, two Smashified Shantaes are better than one.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yeah, while it is a great render (it really is and I love it), we're just talking about Omni's take on it. I've seen multiple Top 5-10 videos where when the person wants a character in smash, they would say "Look at Omni's work" as a reason they should be in smash (even though that sort of isn't a valid reason.) The point I'm trying to make is a big majority of the Smash community knows Omni. Omni doing a Smashified Shantae would bring so much awareness to the series and possibly could rake in more votes.

Besides, two Smashified Shantaes are better than one.
I guess your right, we did get two smashified Banjos after all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!!! IS IT DA???!!!!! SEND ME THE LINK PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure I can put the artist's name in without triggering the site's swear filter but here's the link. And yes, it's DeviantArt. You can find some real gems in between all the weird s**t.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Interesting video. Though the poll results in this video don't really mean anything. Well, to me at least. King K Rool? He does have a chance. But Rayman and Banjo-Kazooie? We don't know where they stand at this point. But in all honesty, to me, Rayman feels unfitting as a smash character.

And when he mentioned Roy and Ryu, it still kinda bothers me. Here's why:

Roy - While he did appear in Melee, he lost a lot of attention (and probably love) throughout the years. And we already have a Marth clone in the game. Sure Roy's B special is different, but everything else about him is the same as Marth. And it would feel off since we have a character named Roy, already.

Ryu - Nothing against him (and this is coming from someone who never played Street Fighter before), but we already have a Capcom rep. And if he was added, it would force the company to add another Sega and Namco character. But then that's more characters Nintendo decided to add. That would take away the purpose of the smash ballot. And with six 3rd party characters, Nintendo would have never said "Any video game characters are eligible" a month ago.

Maybe they were originally meant to be added, but something came up that canceled it. This happened with Mewtwo, where he was scrapped from Brawl because of less time Nintendo had. I could be wrong about this; I may have missed something.

I can't believe I went from talking about the video, to talking about Roy and Ryu xD

I don't know, the video's interesting, but I don't really care for it.

#ShantaeForSmash

Last edited:

Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonic09Hedgehog
3DS FC
4038-6177-1632

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
[...]Ryu - Nothing against him (and this is coming from someone who never played Street Fighter before), but we already have a Capcom rep. And if he was added, it would force the company to add another Sega and Namco character.[...]
Well, no. There is no "equal number of reps between third parties" rule whatsoever.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, no. There is no "equal number of reps between third parties" rule whatsoever.
If it was the case my votes would go to Tails and Dig-Dug.

coolsye

Smash Rookie
Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Here's something I've done in the Rayman thread as a request. Since it involves Shantae, I decided I should post it here since I finally got to draw Shantae again.

Hope you like it. I most likely will fully color this, but at another time.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So Shantae got fourth place in the the third-party division of a Smash Central poll? I can't confirm this...

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
So Shantae got fourth place in the the third-party division of a Smash Central poll? I can't confirm this...
Yeah you're right its over on tumblr.

Super Smash Bros. Central Fighter Ballot Poll Results!
Hey everyone Super Smash Bros. Central’s Fighter Ballot Poll has ended and the RESULTS ARE IN!! After this poll’s duration of a month, we now get an idea of who everyone is voting for on the Official Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! Don’t forget to submit your vote there as well (Link Below)

Official Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Here are your WINNERS :D

Nintendo Poll:

1. Chrom (152 votes) [9%]

2. Daisy (125 votes) [7%]

3. King K. Rool (113 votes) [7%]

4. Inkling (112 votes) [7%]

5. Waluigi (106 votes) [6%]

Third-Party Poll:

1. Banjo & Kazooie (224 votes) [16%]

2. Sora (159 votes) [11%]

3. Bayonetta (139 votes) [10%]

4. Shantae (118 votes) [8%]

5. Rayman (115 votes) [8%]

Links To Results:

Nintendo: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5525e278e4b07084151c8ef4

Third-Party: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5525ed27e4b07084151c8f05

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad they did the smart thing and put the first-party and third-party characters in separate polls. It's nice to see a large-scale ballot poll that isn't just crapping on characters that aren't Nintendo IPs.

I'm honestly surprised at how high Shantae ranked in a poll that puts both third-parties and indies together - another smart move - especially since she seems within firing distance of second place, given Sora's and Bayonetta's unlikelihood (the former because of Square/Disney no doubt being clingy, the latter because of... well, more obvious reasons). Seeing her having more votes than Shovel Knight and even Snake tells me that she does indeed have a strong and vocal fanbase, and that gives me hope.

...Though my general cynicism was quickly restored when I looked at the first-party poll and I had a facial expression somewhat resembling this:

I'm a trifle miffed.

I'm not usually one to slander people's choices, but I thought it had been established the world over by Smashfans, Emblemfans and Masahiro Sakurai himself (by way of the final game) that 1) Chrom wasn't bringing anything new to the table, and 2) he's already drafted into another character's Final Smash. I'd have expected him to be a joke vote at best, not first place in lieu of the more deserving characters like K. Rool or Isaac. People need to stop being in denial!

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I'm glad they did the smart thing and put the first-party and third-party characters in separate polls. It's nice to see a large-scale ballot poll that isn't just crapping on characters that aren't Nintendo IPs.

I'm honestly surprised at how high Shantae ranked in a poll that puts both third-parties and indies together - another smart move - especially since she seems within firing distance of second place, given Sora's and Bayonetta's unlikelihood (the former because of Square/Disney no doubt being clingy, the latter because of... well, more obvious reasons). Seeing her having more votes than Shovel Knight and even Snake tells me that she does indeed have a strong and vocal fanbase, and that gives me hope.

...Though my general cynicism was quickly restored when I looked at the first-party poll and I had a facial expression somewhat resembling this:

I'm a trifle miffed.

I'm not usually one to slander people's choices, but I thought it had been established the world over by Smashfans, Emblemfans and Masahiro Sakurai himself (by way of the final game) that 1) Chrom wasn't bringing anything new to the table, and 2) he's already drafted into another character's Final Smash. I'd have expected him to be a joke vote at best, not first place in lieu of the more deserving characters like K. Rool or Isaac. People need to stop being in denial!
Well, as long as people want him...

Hell who am I kidding. What is this, Super Smash Swords?

Then again, that is merely a poll from Smash-central.com...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So hey. I know y'all are on dat Shantae support train. But something interesting happened in the indie world recently.

.. The possibility of Meta Knight being a boss in Shovel Knight! That is pretty good news if you ask me.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So hey. I know y'all are on dat Shantae support train. But something interesting happened in the indie world recently.

.. The possibility of Meta Knight being a boss in Shovel Knight! That is pretty good news if you ask me.
Pretty neat-o!

...but with that in mind, which Nintendo boss would work best in a Shantae game?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Just fuse Ridley and Dracula together. They'll make Ridcula. Short for Ridiculous. Best boss name ever.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Yacht Club Games has been juggling ideas for a Nintendo-exclusive boss lately, so this tweet/reaction actually isn't all that surprising. It's like an understated Smash Ballot for Shovel Knight. Ironic that it's happening at the same time.

I recall at one point they were entertaining the idea of using Tingle because they like going for characters with an element of silliness - like how the Battletoads are so over the top, or Kratos being hilariously out of place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom