• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've been thrown off the deep end by an aquatic Pikmin.

I want Shantae in Smash. I haven't played any of her games, but still.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know what the game's about, which version I should get, or whether I should spend what little I have on it.

I kind of feel like making Shantae my next project...
Shantae 1: Risky Boots steals the Steam machine, get it back. 5 bucks 3DS
Risky's Revenge: Risky plots to destroy all magic, stop her. 15 bucks 3DS, DSi, PC
Pirate Curse: Pirate Master will destroy the world, stop him! 15 bucks, 3DS Wii U

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I don't know what the game's about, which version I should get, or whether I should spend what little I have on it.

I kind of feel like making Shantae my next project...
The first Shantae was on the Nintendo Gameboy Color, which is really rare to find, unless you get it on the eShop I believe for the 3DS at this point, or just use a emulator. Same can go for Risky's revenge for the 3DS, but it's much easier to get since it's more recent, and it is a good sequel to the first one. As said above, Pirates curse comes next, and it's the latest installment, and it's one of the best so far. There is a fourth game, Half Genie Hero, that's still in development.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Risky's Revenge: Risky plots to destroy all magic, stop her. 15 bucks 3DS, DSi, PC
Pirate Curse: Pirate Master will destroy the world, stop him! 15 bucks, 3DS Wii U
I mostly meant gameplay-wise. Specifically Pirate's Curse and whether to go console or handheld.

Still iffy on that price, I got Cave Story for 10 bucks and didn't feel it was worth that at all.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Shantae plays like a Metriodvania game, with a few elements like Zelda in there as well. It's a 2D sidescroller adventure game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mostly meant gameplay-wise. Specifically Pirate's Curse and whether to go console or handheld.

Still iffy on that price, I got Cave Story for 10 bucks and didn't feel it was worth that at all.
I enjoyed PiCu most, control felt less stiff, Shantae 1 isn't as good, in PiCu, you get Risky's gear as powerups, meaning insyead of transforming to animals, you press a button to dash with the boots, glide or use a scimitar as a pogo attack. Very Metroidy

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well I guess I'm sold.

There's still the question of big screen vs portability. Why can't it be cross buy.
I only have the Wii U version, but Risky's Revenge had a better use of the bottom screen which would be the same, if you want to use an item, you hit it on the touchscreen,if you don't use your tv when playing then this is annoying, and even then you have to lose all focus of the TV. 3DS version lets you focus on both screens and has portability

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Pirate's Curse is also on Steam.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Hey guys: Do you think Matt Bozon was foreshadowing Shantae being in Smash in his tweet? Honestly, this is coming from the creator of Shantae, so I feel as though he is indeed foreshadowing her being in the game. I could very well be wrong, but its a theory.
#ShantaeForSmash
I honestly think it's him being confident, not so much as foreshadowing. Still, though, this stuff only helps her chances.

Quite recently; it was on April 23.

Genie got back:

Genie got bath:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Wow, there's been quite a bit of new supporters in this past week huh? It's always good to see more people interested in wanting Shantae as a fighter.

As for the tweet, I think it's safe to assume Matt was just kidding (or being confident) about her being in Smash. Not only does it seem a bit early for that (unless it was an E3 announcement), but he'd probably be under some kind of embargo and wouldn't be able to talk about it. That or she's a trophy.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
They're... alright, but the big problem is that unneeded change in pitch. The tempo changes are fine (for the most part), but it's the pitch that doesn't work.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
They're... alright, but the big problem is that unneeded change in pitch. The tempo changes are fine (for the most part), but it's the pitch that doesn't work.
You know, I've re-listened to those again and again... and I've decided to change them back to their original pitch (except for the first one, whose pitch was unchanged already, and the fourth one, whose lower pitch really helps to soothe the high-pitched bleeps).

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
Game Accurate Smash Moveset for Shantae:
I have to say, that's a pretty good movesets. A few changes that I would personally make, and there probably won't be custom moves, just like for mewtwo, but that's overall a great representation of what she could do in smash.

CFood

Smash Cadet
Wow, there's been quite a bit of new supporters in this past week huh? It's always good to see more people interested in wanting Shantae as a fighter.

As for the tweet, I think it's safe to assume Matt was just kidding (or being confident) about her being in Smash. Not only does it seem a bit early for that (unless it was an E3 announcement), but he'd probably be under some kind of embargo and wouldn't be able to talk about it. That or she's a trophy.
Well I've been a supporter since before I came back here, just ask Raheem, he knows how much I support it!

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, can you add me to the supporter list too please @ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 ? I might have not addressed this when coming on the forums.
Same here.
I don't believe I ever brought that up when I first joined, but I would be honored if you could add me to the supporter list.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Jab: Hair whip, similair to Ganondorf's jab
Ftilt: Kicks swiftly
Utilt: Sonic's Utilt
Dtilt: Arm sweep
Dash Attack: Shoulder tackle
Usmash: Jumps upwards and twirls
Fsmash: Kick from PiCu
Dsmash: Swings hips left and right
Nair: Aerial version of Jab
Fair: Swings head for a powerful hair swing
Bair: Kicks quickly
Uair: A swift upwards kick
Dair: Slams head downwards, long range because of hair, but only the head is a meteor smash
Pummel: Slaps foe
Fthrow: Wario's Fthrow, but sexier
Bthrow: Grabs foe with hair and spins them backwards
Uthrow: Does an uppercut
Dthrow: Trips foe and kicks them
B: Fireball, shoots a fireball not unlike Lucas's PK Fire
Side B: Risky's Boots, charges forward with the Scimitar, essentially Ike's Close Combat custom
Up B: Changes into a harpy to fly around for a while, can be hit to revert back to human form
Down B: Pike Ball, a pike ball hovers around Shantae for a bit, Shantae can only use Up B and grab when using this however
Final Smash: Uses the magic lamp to regain Genie powers to grow her hair, a giant swing of hair with ridiculous range
Taunt1: Dances in multiple poses
Taunt2: Jumps up saying "Ret 2 Go!"
Taunt3: Grabs Scimitar and spins it, accidentaly lets go and drops it with a shocked expression

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Jab: Hair whip, similair to Ganondorf's jab
Ftilt: Kicks swiftly
Utilt: Sonic's Utilt
Dtilt: Arm sweep
Dash Attack: Shoulder tackle
Usmash: Jumps upwards and twirls
Fsmash: Kick from PiCu
Dsmash: Swings hips left and right
Nair: Aerial version of Jab
Fair: Swings head for a powerful hair swing
Bair: Kicks quickly
Uair: A swift upwards kick
Dair: Slams head downwards, long range because of hair, but only the head is a meteor smash
Pummel: Slaps foe
Fthrow: Wario's Fthrow, but sexier
Bthrow: Grabs foe with hair and spins them backwards
Uthrow: Does an uppercut
Dthrow: Trips foe and kicks them
B: Fireball, shoots a fireball not unlike Lucas's PK Fire
Side B: Risky's Boots, charges forward with the Scimitar, essentially Ike's Close Combat custom
Up B: Changes into a harpy to fly around for a while, can be hit to revert back to human form
Down B: Pike Ball, a pike ball hovers around Shantae for a bit, Shantae can only use Up B and grab when using this however
Final Smash: Uses the magic lamp to regain Genie powers to grow her hair, a giant swing of hair with ridiculous range
Taunt1: Dances in multiple poses
Taunt2: Jumps up saying "Ret 2 Go!"
Taunt3: Grabs Scimitar and spins it, accidentaly lets go and drops it with a shocked expression
Oh hell yeah. More hip attacks are always welcome.
And if I can add some customs...

B 2: Shoots Risky's pistol. Kinda like Falco's lasers, but quicker and does less damage than the Fireball.
B 3: Summons a thunder cloud. Tricky to hit, but can meteor and give some shieldstun.
Side-B 2: Turns into a monkey and charges straight forward, even in air. Can now latch onto walls, and her hitbox is smaller for the duration of the move.
Side-B 3: Turns into an elephant and charges forward a bit. In air, can be cancelled to slam herself down to the ground.
Up-B 2: Summons a bit of wind and uses Risky's hat to fly upward. Kinda like G&W's Parachute, only with a windbox that can push the foe into the attack.
Up-B 3: Shoots RIsky's Pistol downwards twice. Like Elwind.
Down-B 2: Super Pike Ball: More pike balls so it's easier to hit, but a bit more starting lag.
Down-B 3: Bubble Shield: No damage, reflects projectiles, stays around less than the others.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Can I just say that I REALLY hope that if Shantae is in Smash, she should use this model?
(Or at least, something EXTREMELY close that also translate well into Smash like this model?)

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Can I just say that I REALLY hope that if Shantae is in Smash, she should use this model?
(Or at least, something EXTREMELY close that also translate well into Smash like this model?)
Yeah, I would say something like this, only a tad curvier and with an updated face. This model honestly looks like it could be in Brawl.

Speaking of which, wouldn't Shantae be cool as hell in Project M?

Top Bottom