• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Can I just say that I REALLY hope that if Shantae is in Smash, she should use this model?
(Or at least, something EXTREMELY close that also translate well into Smash like this model?)
Honestly, I'm not too big on this model. I respect that someone took the time to make it, but something about it looks off. I think the one smashified drawing someone did is a perfect representation of how a 3D Shantae would look (even though it's not 3D).

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Honestly, I'm not too big on this model. I respect that someone took the time to make it, but something about it looks off. I think the one smashified drawing someone did is a perfect representation of how a 3D Shantae would look (even though it's not 3D).
Agreed.

This is the closes thing I wanna see as an actual 3D model, just with a few fixed facial details, imo.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I've decided I'll try my hand at a moveset too. It was made with the following in mind, so pay attention before you judge me too harshly:

-My idea was for a moveset that's truer to Shantae's roots, namely being the belly-dancing half-genie instead of using the pirate weapons.
-We've seen with Mewtwo that DLC characters likely won't get customs specials, so Shantae has no customs here.
-I tried to keep things balanced, yet unique and "realistic". i.e. her hair is long, yes, but it isn't prehensile, so grabbing things with it is a bit over the top.

Okay. Here we go.

Ground moves:
  • Jab: One punch, followed by a kick - or, if button-mashed, a flurry of kicks that finishes with a knockback kick. Basic rapidfire combo, just with one less hit before the flurry.
  • Side-Strong: A strong elbow thrust, similar to the dash attack from the first game, only without the dashing. Can be sweet-spotted for more damage and knockback.
  • Up-Strong: Flails her hair in a wide arc above her. Weak, but has a slow hitbox covers a fair amount of space around her.
  • Down-Strong: Simple leg sweep. Weak with little knockback, but has very little lag time and is ideal for starting a combo.
  • Dash Attack: The drill kick from the first game, granted by the "Sash" item. Hits multiple times, finishing with a decent-knockback hit, and covers a fair distance.
  • Side-Smash: Her hair-whip. Does more damage and knockback the closer the target is, and falls off near the ends of the hair. People keep wanting this to be her jab, but I think having it as her side smash makes more sense since it's her most iconic move.
  • Up-Smash: A jumping flip kick, like the one from the first game that the "Boots" item granted you. A unique move, Shantae jumps into the air a fair distance and do a powerful somersault kick. Great for surprising/KOing airborne enemies, but deals minor knockback to enemies caught by the jump instead, and Shantae has lots of punishable lag time while she lands.
  • Down-Smash: A 720° hair-whip-spin. Lasts a little bit and has decent horizontal knockback, but has very poor reach for anything off of the ground and has a bit of lag time for a punish.
  • Wake-Up Attack: Does a handstand and a split-kick to attack at either side of her.
  • Ledge Attack: Does an acrobatic flip that swings both feet in an arc that gets her standing again, and hitting anyone in the way.
Aerial moves:
  • Neutral-Air: A quick 360° hair-flip. Weak, but gives wide coverage from all sides.
  • Forward-Air: One kick from one leg, followed by another kick from the other leg. Not a good KO move, but does good damage.
  • Back-Air: A strong backwards-kick. Has a sweet spot for more damage and knockback.
  • Up-Air: An upwards drill kick. Once again, multi-hit with good knockback on the last hit.
  • Down-Air(1): Downwards hair-flip that can spike. Good distance, though only a hit with the head will spike.
Throws:
  • Grab: Short-range, but very quick.
  • Pummel: Drives her knee into the victim's gut. Slow, but damaging.
  • Forward-Throw: Chucks them a bit forward before twirling around and whacking the foe with her hair, like an improvised golf swing. Can hit multiple foes if they're standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Good knockback.
  • Back-Throw: Hooks a leg under the victim and does a big backflip, sending them flying backward. Good damage, but lackluster knockback (because I'm sick of all the KO-worthy back-throws in the game.)
  • Up-Throw: Chucks the opponent up into the air and does a handstand, planting both feet into their gut to send them flying sky high. Powerful damage and knockback. Can hit other foes.
  • Down-Throw: Slams the opponent to the floor, then conjures a fireball in her free hand and blasts them with it. Once again, can hit others that are too close.
Special moves:
  • Neutral-B - Transformation Dance: Everyone keeps saying all over her specials should be dances. I say she should get a pseudo-stance system similar to Shulk's. Press B to initiate the dance, then press the control stick/pad/whatever in the desired direction during the three seconds the dance takes to choose Shantae's form, which will have a unique yet very limited selection of moves to use (like no specials, lacking some other moves, etc.). A transformation will wear off after about 20 seconds, and can't be used again until 10 seconds later (you know, so people don't do nothing but spam transformations all match). Also, de-transforming in mid-air will put Shantae into freefall! Also, the dance can be interrupted!
    • Neutral-Transformation - Monkey: Smaller and faster, but also lighter and doesn't have her range. Her attacks come out fast and furiously, none of them having very good knockback but capable of racking up a damaging combo very easily. Does not have a recovery option, but can crawl (not wall-jump, crawl) on walls and grab ledges.
    • Side-Transformation - Spider: No change in general weight or size, but the spider doesn't have many attack options, either leaving a web on the ground to trap opponents with, or firing venom(2) in eight directions that are weak but come out fairly quickly to pick off evasive enemies with. Comes with a long-range webbing line to pull herself to a solid surface (similar to a tether recovery), and can also crawl on walls and ceilings, but does not have a ledge grab or ledge attack even though she can crawl up over it.
    • Up-Transformation - Harpy: Again, no change in size or weight. Terrible ground offense, but gains unlimited flight for the duration of the transformation and has decently strong aerials consisting of kicks with her talons. Be wary of when the transformation wears off when you're flying around however! Also cannot grab ledges (she doesn't need to!).
    • Down-Transformation - Elephant: Becomes considerably bigger and heavier. Does not have a second jump and only has two attacks, but they are powerful; the first is a charge-up dash that hurts and knocks back like all hell and goes through multiple enemies with super armor, the second is a "ground pound" when the attack button is pressed in the middle of a jump that also hurts and knocks back like all hell and can instantly crush shields. Beware though, the dash attack needs to be turned around to be stopped, or you'll end up dashing straight off the edge! The elephant form has no recovery whatsoever and can't even grab ledges (it doesn't have hands!), so letting her fall off the stage is curtains for Shantae!
  • Side-B - Elbow Dash: Basically the Side-Strong attack, but more faithful to the first game's version of the move granted by the "Cuff" and "Tiara" items. Hold B to charge up the dash, then rush forward, beaning the first person she come across - then press B again on contact to whack them hard with her hair. The second hit has good KO potential, but is affected by how much charge you build up. Can dash off the edge on accident like the Elephant transformation, but she can still recover and is not left in freefall in exchange for not having the super armor.
  • Up-B - Float Muffin: Shantae quickly devours a Float Muffin and shoots high into the air, going into freefall afterwards. Super armored during the recovery, but left very vulnerable afterward!
  • Down-B - Pike Ball: Spawns a Pike Ball item that does 360° rotations around Shantae. Takes a second to get it out, during which she can be interrupted. Lasts for ten seconds and whittles away at people who touch it, but doesn't stagger or knockback at all. Blocks (not reflects) general projectiles (i.e. not projectiles that can't be cancelled out, like PK Flash/Freeze and such), but not direct melee attacks.
Final Smash:
  • Mega-Hair Whip(1): Shantae calls upon her genie power to gain a full-genie's flaming hair for a moment, making it longer and sweeping it in a wide, long arc in front of her, dealing heavy damage and knockback.

(1): I credit @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen for these ideas in his earlier post, the Down-Air because I liked it, the Final Smash because I haven't a sodding clue what else it can be. (Discuss! Not that I mean any offense to T.E.R., but I'm sure we can come up with a better idea than this!)
(2) The venom shots were actually a thing in the first Shantae game, however the eight-directional bit and the spider-webbing-trap-thing were not. Save for those, I think I've kept plenty faithful to the series and the character.

...So, this is my vision of Shantae's moveset. The idea is to mix Shantae's regular moves with occasional transformations, keeping opponents guessing and frantic. Girl Shantae does everything but doesn't really excel at anything, while her other forms are geared for specific tasks but are easily dealt with out of their element. A crafty character for a crafty player.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
(1): I credit @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen for these ideas in his earlier post, the Down-Air because I liked it, the Final Smash because I haven't a sodding clue what else it can be. (Discuss! Not that I mean any offense to T.E.R., but I'm sure we can come up with a better idea than this!)
*Male pronouns* Wat.
In all seriousness, this isn't too bad other than how the 3DS can't handle transformations. The drill kick was what my Usmash was based on too, I forgot the name of it. At least I got credited!

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
sue me, I've barely been here a couple of weeks, I don't know anyone's gender on these forums D:

Also, since when can the 3DS not handle transformations? I don't remember reading that anywhere???

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
sue me, I've barely been here a couple of weeks, I don't know anyone's gender on these forums D:

Also, since when can the 3DS not handle transformations? I don't remember reading that anywhere???
You can click on someone's profile for that.
Sakurai said that was the reason Sheik and Zero suit Samus got their own spot on the roster, the 3DS was also too weak for Ice Climbers. I suggest you hit the Reply button that's at the bottom right of someone's post, it may confuse some people otherwise

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
You can click on someone's profile for that.
Sakurai said that was the reason Sheik and Zero suit Samus got their own spot on the roster, the 3DS was also too weak for Ice Climbers. I suggest you hit the Reply button that's at the bottom right of someone's post, it may confuse some people otherwise
Huh. It was my understanding that Sakurai separate Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik not because of transformation issues, but because he just wanted them to stop being two characters at the same time. The Ice Climbers thing struck me as more of the 3DS choking on multiple dynamic AIs. A simple model swap can't possibly be that resource-intensive.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Huh. It was my understanding that Sakurai separate Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik not because of transformation issues, but because he just wanted them to stop being two characters at the same time. The Ice Climbers thing struck me as more of the 3DS choking on multiple dynamic AIs. A simple model swap can't possibly be that resource-intensive.
He said that was the case in the Smash direct, but later he admitted that the 3DS was the reason

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
He said that was the case in the Smash direct, but later he admitted that the 3DS was the reason
Sakuraiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii D:

Nintendo really should've just held off until the New 3DS came out and made the 3DS version exclusive to that, like they did with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. It saddens me that the 3DS version lost content that the New 3DS' superior processing power could've enabled...

This makes me wonder how Shantae is even going to be possible then. I'm honestly kind've sour on using the pirate weapons for her moveset since her character and trademark essentially is her dancing and transformations...

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Sakuraiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii D:

Nintendo really should've just held off until the New 3DS came out and made the 3DS version exclusive to that, like they did with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. It saddens me that the 3DS version lost content that the New 3DS' superior processing power could've enabled...

This makes me wonder how Shantae is even going to be possible then. I'm honestly kind've sour on using the pirate weapons for her moveset since her character and trademark essentially is her dancing and transformations...
I think Shantae is still possible with her transformation abilities to be a moveset, it would just be similar to how kirby transforms in and out of stone kirby. It's just her moveset can't be full on transformation with a new moveset.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
I think Shantae is still possible with her transformation abilities to be a moveset, it would just be similar to how kirby transforms in and out of stone kirby. It's just her moveset can't be full on transformation with a new moveset.
i never really thought about it like that before, that makes it alot more believable, i was thinking more along the lines of the pirate gear being her moveset, but transformations being an option for attacks is always a good thing.

i've been fond of the idea of her using her Harpy form as a way to Multi-jump instead of her Up B, but that might be too much work for just a jump animation, could definately see the elephant be a Down B/A, how would she use the monkey transformation? oh the possibilities.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
A moveset I had thought up for Shantae. Tried to incorporate some stuff from the original GB Shantae since that's the only one I've played so far and some stuff from Pirate's Curse since it's the most recent.
Neutral A: Shantae whips her hair three times. Once to the side, then back, then slams her hair down on the opponent.

Forward-Tilt: Turning whip. Shantae does a quick turn and extends her hair, reaching farther than her normal A combo.

Down-Tilt: Shantae awkwardly wiggles her butt crouches down and whips her hair, like in the games.

Up-Tilt: Hair lift. Shantae raises her head causing her hair to whip back, knocking the opponent upwards.

Forward-Smash: Dash elbow. She could do this in the first game upon receiving the cuffs. Think Captain Falcon's forward smash, but if this one is charged up, Shantae will dash forward a bit.

Down-Smash: Scimitar spin. While crouching, Shantae swings around her Scimitar with both hands. Afterwards, she would drop the Scimitar and comically fall on her face (leading to a bit of landing lag as she picks herself up). This would be due to the attack being rather fast and possibly strong.

Up-Smash: Jump flip kick. The thing that the boots (I think) allowed her to do in the first game. If the initial flip kick connects, she would proceed to spin in the air for an extra hit.

Dash: Twirl. The thing that the tiara allowed her to do in the first game. Think Mega Man's dash attack.

Neutral Air: Hair roll. Shantae whips her hair forward and causes herself to do a complete roll.

Forward Air: Hair whip. Pretty much what she does in the games.

Down Air: Drill Kick. She's able to do this in the first game after getting the sash. Like all of the other drill kicks in the game, probably most comparable to Kirby's.

Back Air: Turn around whip. Shantae turns around with a powerful swing of her hair. Comparable to Sonic's back-air, I guess.

Up Air: Overhead whip. Shantae whips her hair directly above her.

Grab: Shantae extends her hair and tangles her opponent. Similar to Yoshi's grab, as it is ranged but not a tether.

Pummel: Shantae pushes her opponent with a single hand, turning the opposite direction while doing so.

Forward Throw: Quick Draw. Shantae pulls out the Flintlock Pistol and fires it point blank at her opponent.

Down Throw: Cannon Ball. Shantae jumps on a cannon and fires it directly down at her opponent, like the thing she does in Pirate's Curse. This would leave her airborne after the attack.

Back Throw: Triple Scimitar Slash. Shantae pulls out her Scimitar and wildly slashes at the opponent three times.

Up Throw: Pirate Hat Gust. Shantae pulls out the Pirate Hat and lifts it (hitting her opponent in the process), knocking them into the hair with a strong gust of wind.

Ledge Attack: Shantae sweeps the ledge with her hair.

Get-Up Attack: Shantae does a spinning kick to get herself back up.

Neutral B: Monkey Bullet. Shantae "poofs" into a monkey and dashes forward. Not a very powerful attack that's main purpose would be for mobility, it dashes farther when used in the air.

Forward B: Elephant Charge. Similar to the Monkey Bullet, Shantae transforms into an elephant and dashes forward. However, this has super armor and is much stronger, but barely goes anywhere in the air.

Down B: Spider Web. Shantae transforms into a Spider and shoots a web that stuns the opponent for a few seconds if it hits.
The web would probably travel a little less than half of Final Destination.

Up B: Harpy Flight. Shantae transforms into a Harpy and is able to perform multiple jumps. Once the jumps run out, she gets hit, or lands, the transformation ends.

Final Smash: I've got nothing for now.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
For some reason, I feel as though there will be Shantae rumors in the next week or so, or maybe in the next few months. Remember, her popularity is very much increasing, up to the point where she's probably one of the most wanted third party newcomers on the ballot. Because of this, we'll probably expect a few rumors to pop up about her possibly being in the game, kinda like the Roy and Ryu rumor. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
For some reason, I feel as though there will be Shantae rumors in the next week or so, or maybe in the next few months. Remember, her popularity is very much increasing, up to the point where she's probably one of the most wanted third party newcomers on the ballot. Because of this, we'll probably expect a few rumors to pop up about her possibly being in the game, kinda like the Roy and Ryu rumor. Thoughts on this?
Well, as for "Leaks" showing up and such, I really don't see that happening yet, at least this soon as other 3rd Party characters like Rayman and Banjo are still pretty high on the vote count with 3rd party placement in mind. She getting "Leaked" in Smash Bros are more than likely not going to be legit, as the ballot's polls aren't complete yet. maybe after the polls have ended it may be moments she's "leaked", but I don't really think it would happen right now, honestly.

And as with Roy and Ryu, it's been confirmed by multiple sources that there are files in the game's coding itself, so it's mostly legit information from the game's data itself that they are real and going to be added to Smash Bros than a "Leak" would be, like the Rayman one months back.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm having doubts he was serious on the "See you in Smash" (hope I'm wrong though).

Either that or he was playing along that Shantae was advertised literally right next to major Nintendo IPs.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Had a brief thought: For some reason, I keep thinking that King K. Rool and Shantae are going to be some of the characters picked for the ballot. It just seems to make sense to me, regarding their popularity (King K. Rool being one of the most requested characters, probably the most requested thus far, and of course Shantae being the most plausible indie rep and a popularly requested character). And yes, Wario Bros. signature got that idea going into my head again).

Anyways, sorry if I was going off-topic or anything from the tweet speculation; it is interesting to hear what people think about it and what it could mean.

#ShantaeForSmash

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Had a brief thought: For some reason, I keep thinking that King K. Rool and Shantae are going to be some of the characters picked for the ballot. It just seems to make sense to me, regarding their popularity (King K. Rool being one of the most requested characters, probably the most requested thus far, and of course Shantae being the most plausible indie rep and a popularly requested character). [...]

#ShantaeForSmash
Shantae and King K. Rool are the only 2 characters I want as DLC. It would be great if you were right.
#ShantaeForSmash

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Had a brief thought: For some reason, I keep thinking that King K. Rool and Shantae are going to be some of the characters picked for the ballot. It just seems to make sense to me, regarding their popularity (King K. Rool being one of the most requested characters, probably the most requested thus far, and of course Shantae being the most plausible indie rep and a popularly requested character). And yes, Wario Bros. signature got that idea going into my head again).

Anyways, sorry if I was going off-topic or anything from the tweet speculation; it is interesting to hear what people think about it and what it could mean.

#ShantaeForSmash
I'm not going to make too many assumptions, personally.
But so far, I would agree that the support for both K. Rool and Shantae has been amazing from everyone involved, and I for one would love to keep the hype train a-rolling well until October. (I'm sticking by my plan to take advantage of any lag in the hype for everyone else, or the ballot in general. Even if that is a bit unlikely.)

With that in mind, Mr. Bozon was most likely kidding, but hey! It's awesome to see some representation like that either way!
I would sincerely hope your feelings are correct, good sir.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
He seems to have posted this in Isaac's thread and King K Rool's thread as well. Either he's supposably "leaking" info that these characters are "in Smash", or he's playing some kind of joke...
The same goes with Bandana Waddle Dee's thread as well. Still though, I think this is just his personal opinion on who She thinks should be in Smash, if I had to be honest. She's using the invitations to mark who he wants in the game. This is just my opinion, though, so correct me if I am wrong at any point.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i''ve been thinking about it lately and for some reason i want shantae to have a kill throw and a spike that some how uses her hair.Don't know just seems cool

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
i''ve been thinking about it lately and for some reason i want shantae to have a kill throw and a spike that some how uses her hair.Don't know just seems cool
Considering how powerful her hair whips probably are, assuming her throws are done with her hair, that's not out of the question. Same goes for spikes, so long as they're not slow and have a microscopic sweetspot.

I don't even know this character...
But um, I can't deny the odds here...

That's clearly an invitation to Super Bash Sisters.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Considering how powerful her hair whips probably are, assuming her throws are done with her hair, that's not out of the question. Same goes for spikes, so long as they're not slow and have a microscopic sweetspot.

That's clearly an invitation to Super Bash Sisters.
I think Speed is just sending these invitations to show her support.

Last edited:
Top Bottom