• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Speed just confirmed that the smash letters she put out are for characters she expects to get into smash.
I think I can consider her a Shantae supporter.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The full list BTW is Bandanna Dee, Isaac, K. Rool, Wolf and Shantae.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Good grief.... The amount of negative comments on that news report relating to Shantae kinda annoys and disgusts me. What do you guys think? I know it's their opinion, but most of them just don't seem well thought out.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
This is honestly why I wish they didn't go out of their way to put Shantae on the spot like this. I still dislike the bias assumption that "Indie" means not happening, it's flawed logic at this point in time just to segregate characters that so happens to not be as big as Nindy or something BS excuse to harp on a character's "chances", knowing full well you don't really know who's going to get chosen because Nintendo and Sakurai especially will decide who they really want.

I didn't want this to happen for Shantae specifically for this reason, but really, I didn't want her presence to just be forced onto the main page just because of what the maker of Shantae said, just because her representation atm isn't going to seen positively because of bias viewpoints, and might as well, hurt her chances even more now.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
This is honestly why I wish they didn't go out of their way to put Shantae on the spot like this. I still dislike the bias assumption that "Indie" means not happening, it's flawed logic at this point in time just to segregate characters that so happens to not be as big as Nindy or something BS excuse to harp on a character's "chances", knowing full well you don't really know who's going to get chosen because Nintendo and Sakurai especially will decide who they really want.

I didn't want this to happen for Shantae specifically for this reason, but really, I didn't want her presence to just be forced onto the main page just because of what the maker of Shantae said, just because her representation atm isn't going to seen positively because of bias viewpoints, and might as well, hurt her chances even more now.
Something tells me we should convince the guy who made the article to take it down.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

To be fair, a lot of characters that later became playable went through stuff like this. The Rosalina and Pac-Man hate was real before they were confirmed.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
To be fair, a lot of characters that later became playable went through stuff like this. The Rosalina and Pac-Man hate was real before they were confirmed.
I mean, I suppose you have a point, but in this case among those cases, Shantae does not deserve to have people say should not be in Smash over a news post.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
People hating on shantae haven't even played the games but yet are fine with shovel knight which has only had one game on a nintendo console lol. I hope she gets in i will drop wii fit trainer lol.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I'm a K.Rool and Banjo supporter, but I'm perfectly fine with Shantae in Smash. She would fit right in. (Plus, a Shantae amiibo would be great)!

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Oh now i realize what Speed was doing now. I was busy in real life lately guys. Sorry for not being around and giving this thread enough love.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Why are poses so difficult...
Risky Boots, Rottytops, is there going to be a Dingy Trousers somewhere in this game?

I like how the hat hover thing is relegated to the shoulder button, reminds me of inFamous.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Might as well leave this here, but the creator himself, Matt, had retweeted the news story, so he does know about Smashboards and maybe even this very support thread. To me, that's a good thing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As much as I like Shantae if she is the 5th 3rd party character then that means she'll have beaten Rayman, Banjo Kazooie, Solid Snake and Shovel Knight for the position.

Only way that makes sense is if Way Forward was the easiest to work with (and seeing how much of a self-destructive maniac Konami has become that may not be too much of a stretch).

Anyone know who's the most popular 3rd party choice in Japan (besides Snake)? Rayman, Shovel Knight and BK are pretty western oriented characters.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice

People hating on shantae haven't even played the games but yet are fine with shovel knight which has only had one game on a nintendo console lol. I hope she gets in i will drop wii fit trainer lol.
That's the thing that annoys me. They bash on Shantae, someone who had a LONG history and relationship with Nintendo for 13 years, and has supporters in Japan, including Ken Sugimori and Gamefreak, yet they want Shovel Knight, who has only been around for a year, BARELY has a history with Nintendo, and is not well known in Japan YET. Or at least not as well known as Shantae.

It really shows that they're scared. Scared that Shovel Knight might not make it in because of, again, Shantae's history with Nintendo.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
As much as I like Shantae if she is the 5th 3rd party character then that means she'll have beaten Rayman, Banjo Kazooie, Solid Snake and Shovel Knight for the position.

Only way that makes sense is if Way Forward was the easiest to work with (and seeing how much of a self-destructive maniac Konami has become that may not be too much of a stretch).

Anyone know who's the most popular 3rd party choice in Japan (besides Snake)? Rayman, Shovel Knight and BK are pretty western oriented characters.
From what I've read, it looks like that Banjo-Kazooie is the most wanted TP Newcomer, but he is fairly behind Snake...

I'm out some days, and I found out this whole story about the tweet and "see you in Smash".
I'm not sure about it, but just the fact that she was pulled among other Nintendo characters in that ways make me already happy! I hope that it turns out to be real!
Shantae and Snake are the only TP that I really want to see added!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Personally i don't think Snake is coming back due to what is going on at Konami. Plus i think there is a chance we could get more then one third party in the ballot. Two or three max.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
I have an image to show, but I have to create a URL for it in order to show the image. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux , have you met Barracuda Joe yet?

Quite possibly the funniest scene I've ever encountered in vidya.
I need a memory refresh
I have an image to show, but I have to create a URL for it in order to show the image. Any suggestions?
Click on image with the right mouse key. Copy Image/Copy Image URL. Paste. If you copied the URL, use the Image feature next to the smiley

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well. Damn.

The stuff I'm seeing in that Shantae teaser thread is as vile as the stuff I've seen in the Ridley thread back in the day...Geezus...

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Good grief.... The amount of negative comments on that news report relating to Shantae kinda annoys and disgusts me. What do you guys think? I know it's their opinion, but most of them just don't seem well thought out.
What report was this? Can I have a link, please?

Well. Damn.

The stuff I'm seeing in that Shantae teaser thread is as vile as the stuff I've seen in the Ridley thread back in the day...Geezus...
This too, please. I want to see if all the naysayers are bringing anything new/relevant to the table, or if they're still just following that dumb "Indie? Piss off." mentality.

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping the smash ballot puts more than one character in people will be salty no matter who wins. I really want shantae in i feel she is iconic enough and just the things her universe offers to smash would be awesome. For conquest they could have a pirates vs ninja event shantae and toonlink vs shiek and greninja.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
http://smashboards.com/threads/shantae-smash-teaser.403228

If you think "too sexy" as an argument as the general synopsis, than there you go...that and "indie in = bad".
So, nothing new then, and I'm assuming @ Yellowlord Yellowlord meant the same article. Thanks, now I can spare myself the loss of brain cells.

"Too sexy" is not an argument. Shantae's general outfit actually shows less skin than Zero Suit Samus' alternate outfits, she's no more raunchy than Palutena's freaking pole dance, and let's not get started on Shulk's beach shorts. There are more suggestive things in the game already (and all of these were ragged on pretty hard, but still kept). Besides, Shantae's outfit is traditional genie/dancer garb to the point where I'm pretty sure it's even been in a few children's shows. "HOLY @#$% THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1!" does not apply here, and shame on anyone who thinks so.

Honestly, I'm starting to doubt that "indie" is even a valid argument anymore - mind you it was never an acceptable argument, but people at least had some kind of point in that she was obscure. The thing is though, that obscurity has been massively stomped flat if that physical ad space beside Nintendo's IPs is any indicator. I'd be comfortable calling Shantae a geniune third-party at this point, and I'd be happy to see someone that isn't a devout supporter share that viewpoint.

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
So, nothing new then, and I'm assuming @ Yellowlord Yellowlord meant the same article. Thanks, now I can spare myself the loss of brain cells.

"Too sexy" is not an argument. Shantae's general outfit actually shows less skin than Zero Suit Samus' alternate outfits, she's no more raunchy than Palutena's freaking pole dance, and let's not get started on Shulk's beach shorts. There are more suggestive things in the game already (and all of these were ragged on pretty hard, but still kept). Besides, Shantae's outfit is traditional genie/dancer garb to the point where I'm pretty sure it's even been in a few children's shows. "HOLY @#$% THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1!" does not apply here, and shame on anyone who thinks so.

Honestly, I'm starting to doubt that "indie" is even a valid argument anymore - mind you it was never an acceptable argument, but people at least had some kind of point in that she was obscure. The thing is though, that obscurity has been massively stomped flat if that physical ad space beside Nintendo's IPs is any indicator. I'd be comfortable calling Shantae a geniune third-party at this point, and I'd be happy to see someone that isn't a devout supporter share that viewpoint.
Azure Warrior made a good point:

She's in the game. No one complained about the outfit before.

Besides ALL of Shantae's games have been rated E - E10+. Guess what's also E10+? What a coincidence! Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U! The argument is dumb.

Last edited:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
So I recently got into Shantae (Bought the first game and will buy Pirate's Curse after beating the first one). I wouldn't mind seeing her in smash but I doubt she has a chance at all. Nope it isn't because of "lol indie character" or whatever. It's because of what Sakurai said in one of the directs with characters no longer being able to change midmatch which screwed over transformation moves. Her main powers involves transformations via genie magic to my knowledge. Maybe transform as part of a move?? I doubt that would happen or would work well.

If she makes it in in the end, I see them borrowing heavily from Pirate's Curse with a mix of any secondary magic/moves from the previous Shantae games. Her belly dances or any dances at all would probably end up being a taunt imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom