• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The `Greatest Thread in the Universe` Meta-Thread

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I thought about learning it for a while but it's just too much of a different style for me. I kind of like that there aren't combos in Brawl; it doesn't reward you for just memorizing strings of moves (well not everyone *stare at Diddy*), it's more about playing smart. I know Melee is about playing smart too, but once you get caught in a combo it doesn't matter how smart you are

solecalibur

Smash Master
I dont play melee mostly because I had so much fun with it for the 7 or so years I played it with out knowing any ATs and it still is fun not knowing any, and I should be working on my brawl game instead of my melee if Im gonna take the time to learn/practice more things

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I thought about learning it for a while but it's just too much of a different style for me. I kind of like that there aren't combos in Brawl; it doesn't reward you for just memorizing strings of moves (well not everyone *stare at Diddy*), it's more about playing smart. I know Melee is about playing smart too, but once you get caught in a combo it doesn't matter how smart you are
So what you're saying is...by rewarding smartness with stronger punishes in Melee...Brawl is more about playing smart...I know what you're trying to get at here, but >_>. I know players who are more technically adept than I am, but perform significantly worse at tournaments simply because they don't know how to get the important initial hits that start those strings of moves in the first place. I'd argue that it's equally important how smart you are in both games. If you're less smart than your opponent in Melee, you're going to get slaughtered by your mistakes, but in Brawl, the mistakes simply pile up and the stock/% difference won't be as telling. A 1 stock/0 percent defeat in Brawl could easily be a 3 stocking in Melee.

Anyways, I've had mixed experiences with both Brawl and Melee communities regarding how pleasant they are. But the overwhelming majority of both communities I've met are legit. It's the Smash-playing Anime convention kids that irk me the hardest >_>

Zero

Smash Hero
Once you get stuck in option hell in Melee, you better make the right decision or else you lose a stock, instead of just increasing percentage.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Heh, I knew I didn't word that carefully enough ^v^ I agree that both games require a similar level of intelligence, but even intelligent people make mistakes or misjudgments. Kaleido got at more of what I meant; in Melee, even if you are an intelligent player, you can stilll get trapped in a combo and lose a stock for it. In Brawl, a player might make a mistake and get hit, but he won't lose a stock for it and , granted he doesn't make another immediate mistake (in which case the player probably isn't playing very smart) he has a chance to turn the tables. I think both scenarios require equal levels of intelligence (Melee: both players can combo, Brawl: both players can recover from mistakes) but I just prefer the second

Zero

Smash Hero
ZSS is good because she can still get people into option hell.

MK is ridiculously good because one of his options covers all of yours.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
ZSS is good because she can still get people into option hell.

MK is ridiculously good because one of his options covers all of yours.
I like the part where you were right, but I like the part where you were right again

Sole taugt me the first very well. MK teaches me the other all the time :(

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Melee is just daunting to try and get into, it has so much tech skill you need just to be a nooby, that it wouldn't be worth it for me. I love watching it though, and I know it'd be insanely fun if I could actually get to a decent level

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Nah it's not that, I can deal with constant "So I was playing METAKNIGHT" (that's what this particular group seemed to like saying), it was just their general attitude. One of the guys got SO ANGRY at losing and would make up stupid johns and just generally be a sour person to play with.

And the best guy @ Melee in Australia (who lives in my town) came along for awhile and he started fuming so bad while playing him. It was truly hillarious.
Hate to break it to you, but those people exist in Brawl, too.

Heh, I knew I didn't word that carefully enough ^v^ I agree that both games require a similar level of intelligence, but even intelligent people make mistakes or misjudgments. Kaleido got at more of what I meant; in Melee, even if you are an intelligent player, you can stilll get trapped in a combo and lose a stock for it. In Brawl, a player might make a mistake and get hit, but he won't lose a stock for it and , granted he doesn't make another immediate mistake (in which case the player probably isn't playing very smart) he has a chance to turn the tables. I think both scenarios require equal levels of intelligence (Melee: both players can combo, Brawl: both players can recover from mistakes) but I just prefer the second
You're still wrong about combos being cut and dry, though. There's only one case I can think of where memorizing one specific button combination will be a guaranteed combo, and that's Wobbling, which breaks an existing game mechanic anyway. If you tried to perform any other combo in Melee based on memorized moves, your opponent would DI or tech out almost instantly. It takes a lot of intelligence just to continue a combo in that game.

You can memorize stuff in 64, and get pretty far in terms of knowing how to combo, though. That game is broken, even if it's fun as hell.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hate to break it to you, but those people exist in Brawl, too.

You're still wrong about combos being cut and dry, though. There's only one case I can think of where memorizing one specific button combination will be a guaranteed combo, and that's Wobbling, which breaks an existing game mechanic anyway. If you tried to perform any other combo in Melee based on memorized moves, your opponent would DI or tech out almost instantly. It takes a lot of intelligence just to continue a combo in that game.

You can memorize stuff in 64, and get pretty far in terms of knowing how to combo, though. That game is broken, even if it's fun as hell.
64 = awesome times slacking at college :chuckle:

And perhaps you're right. I don't think I know enough about Melee to argue against that, so I'm not going to attempt to. I still like Brawl's philosophy better :)

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
hello all, i am but a lowly ROB main seeking to be excepted into my secondaries community. lol at the picture

Top Bottom