• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Greatest Games Ever Made

unii

Smash Cadet
ok this is easy

1.smash 64 smash melee smash brawl

2.zelda: ocarina of time

3.halo

4. counterstrike

5.super mario

6.mario kart

7. and personally one of my favorites wave racer 64

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Mario 64,Ocarina of time,Doom/Quake,Sonic the Hedgehog,Street fighter,FF7,Resident Evil/Silent hill all did massive things for their respective genres.I havn't played a game before or after that is as scary as silent hill 2.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Wii Sports, tennis in particular, could prove to be one of the "greatest" games by the judging standards, if motion sensing becomes the norm for gaming in the next generation Wii Sports will be remembered as the game that truely kick-started it, which would be quite an accolade. Bringing gaming into the mainstream in the way it has also wins it points. Plus its good fun.:)
Sorry if it's been mentioned already.

Kilvas

Smash Rookie
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt for the NES.

Without it, we'd all be doing something else with our spare time. Like, I don't know, reading or something.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, the Donkey Kong arcade game/Tetris is what revived gaming from its slump. The NES didn't do nothing for that.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
FF7 is my favourite game of all, but I think OoT definitely beats it, along with everything else.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Thief: The Dark Project.

Now before you start *****ing about some "criterias", "criterion" or whatever, keep in mind this game was a revolution for the sneaking genre, and is totally awesome. If you haven't played it *and* its two sequels, you're missing out. Thank you.

Plus, I heard a Montréal studio is preparing itself to revive the friggin series! That means Thief 4! That means more sneaking and plundering! MORE SNEAKING AND PLUNDERING! *Drools*

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh my God.

I can't believe that the original Metroid hasn't been mentioned in this topic. Prime has, but not the original.

It probably wouldn't qualify as the greatest game ever made, but I feel it deserves to be mentioned anyways, for one main reason; it was the first game to have a female protagonist. Now, it's commonplace to see a female protagonist, but when Metroid came out it was a big thing. Now obviously, if Metroid hadn't done it, someone would've come along eventually with a female protagonist. Still, had Metroid not brought it in so early, it's possible that games like Tomb Raider wouldn't have happened until years after they did.

So yeah...not the greatest, but definitely up there. Plus, it spawned the Metroid series, which has gone very far.

I really wanted to say Super Metroid, but I think that's just my opinion speaking there...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There is no one correct answer to 'best game ever.' It's really a matter of opinion, but my vote goes to Super Metroid.
Erm...you probably should've read the first post.

But I agree, Super Metroid is probably one of my favorite games.

Sonic on the Rocks

Smash Lord
WAAAAUUUGGGHHH! So many choices. Ummm...

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I guess. I think its really good.

- It sold 6 MILLION copies just 6 months after release. 6 MILLION!!! IN 1992!!!
- Made Sega catch up with Nintendo in the Great Console War (dun dun DUN!)
- Has been re-relased on the Xbox 360's Live Arcade and the Wii's Virtual Console
- Introduced Super Sonic and the all-important Spin-Dash to the Sonic series
- Quote from GameSpot: "Time may have eroded Sega's prominince, but it hasn't done much to diminish how sweet Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is."

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
WAAAAUUUGGGHHH! So many choices. Ummm...

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I guess. I think its really good.

- It sold 6 MILLION copies just 6 months after release. 6 MILLION!!! IN 1992!!!
- Made Sega catch up with Nintendo in the Great Console War (dun dun DUN!)
- Has been re-relased on the Xbox 360's Live Arcade and the Wii's Virtual Console
- Introduced Super Sonic and the all-important Spin-Dash to the Sonic series
- Quote from GameSpot: "Time may have eroded Sega's prominince, but it hasn't done much to diminish how sweet Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is."
You do bring up a good point about Sonic 2. I'm a little reluctant to choose Sonic 2 over the rest, but that's just because it was probably my least favorite of the retro Sonic games (the regular, 2D adventures, i.e. Sonics 1-3 & Knuckles). Not that I dislike it, I mean, you cannot go wrong with retro Sonic, it was just probably my least favorite for some reason.

But opinion doesn't matter here, and since you have very good arguments about this, I would have to agree. After all, Sonic is was one of the best franchises.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
It's gotta be:

SUPER MARIO 64

Region: Sorta everywhere.

Length: From the first star to the final boss should take a few days, unless you use an emulator to beat the game in 6 minutes.

Critical Acclaim:

Edge 10 of 10
Electronic Gaming Monthly 9.5 of 10
Famitsu 39 of 40
Game Informer 9.75 of 10
GameSpot 9.4 of 10
IGN 9.8 of 10
Compilations of multiple reviews
Compiler Score
Metacritic 94 of 100
Game Rankings 96%

Popularity over Time:

It basically invented the 3D platformer. Plus, it has a remake for the DS, and introduced game mechanics that set the standard for most later games.

So, we have a revolutionary game that all later games of the genre built off of. Add flawless controls, a unique storyline (even though Peach was still kidnapped), and the ability to to whatever you want, whenever you want makes me think that this is the greatest game of all time.

rockman2k1

Smash Journeyman
wtf im tired of people over glorifying tetris... go play tetris and then go play Resident Evil or something and tell me you enjoyed tetris more... sure maybe it was the best game for its time but ide like to think we have evolved a little passed that
The first flaw of this post is that Tetris is soley a puzzle game while Resident Evil is a mixture of puzzles and action.

Tetris has a right to be called one of the greatest games of all time. It set a foundation for all other puzzle games, it was and still is simple, but deep enough to keep playing, not to mention has aged extremely well, even the original without any extra features (something that would be found in say like TetrisDS).

wammy

Smash Rookie
For this I will be doing 2-3 games (btw I think OoT is the best, but you said top 100 so...ya)

This is my favorite game at the moment, and it is really amazing

Game Length - Infinite! Seriously with four instruments and new DLC every week this game never gets old

Region - Not really sure what this means, but it is (or will be soon) out in USA,
Canada, and Europe. Rock music games do NOT sell in Japan.

Critical Recognition - Received high scores across the board

Popularity Over Time - To early to tell, but with 200 DLC songs this year it should stay popular

Historical Significance - One of the first games to have vocals, guitar, and drums in one game, most DLC of any game

Cultural Impact - Pretty much the same as above

Major Award Winner - Several game the of years, and editors choice awards

Next Game

Game Length - I have played Guitar Hero 2 for at least 1000+ hours

Region - Again not popular in Japan

Critical Recognition - Received high scores across the board

Popularity Over Time - Still in the best game in the series if you play GH competitively (like me (scorehero.com FTW)) GH3 = ****ty

Historical Significance - This game along with DDR brought music games to the mainstream

Cultural Impact - Hugely popular getting media attention, TV spots

Major Award Winner - Pretty much the same as Rock Band

And

Game Length - Long, 120 stars (I think, I could be wrong)

Region - Popular everywhere plus VC

Critical Recognition - 10s all around

Popularity Over Time - Still seen as one the best games of all time

Historical Significance - Brought gaming into 3D

Cultural Impact - Made Mario even more famous

Major Award Winner - Pretty much any award a game can get

There done

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
Link: The faces of Evil is without a doubt one of the greatest games of all time

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
idk if anybody has mentioned either of these games, but they are worth a try...
Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2
They both have a lot of playing time and then there r bonus things to do when u beat the game. They honestly have the best story lines in all of gaming.
It is for the PS2, and everybody has a PS2, so a lot of people have it.
It was a huge success in Japan and america.

Darkslash

Smash Master
One of the GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME!!!!!!

Game length: 15 minutes minimum. It was a short game if you just want to get it over with but then there are multiple paths you can choose. I still play this game. ON THE ORIGINAL CARTRIDGE AND RUMBLE PACK!

Region: If the N64 is there then Star Fox 64 was there. It was one of the N64 flagship titles.

Critical recognizing;
IGN:8.7 out of 10
Edge:9/10
Allgame: 4 1/2 stars out of 5
Gamespot: 8.3 out of 10
Famitsu: 36 out of 40

Historic Significance: One of the first Nintendo made games to have extensive voice acting.
First game to use the Rumble feature which is now standard in todays gaming.
Started Star Fox Canon(Official story line)

Cultural Impact: DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!! Must i say more?

Major Award Winner: #73 in Nintendo power "Top 200 Nintendo games"

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
See post 2. If that didn't convince you then consider that it is still rated number one by many game sites even though its over 10 years old.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
See post 2. If that didn't convince you then consider that it is still rated number one by many game sites even though its over 10 years old.
Gonna have to agree here. OoT was easily my favorite Zelda game and it's reputation is still strong today even after it has been out for so long. It's passed the level of classic and has moved to demi-god.

Top Bottom