• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Killager

Smash Rookie
Bayonetta's already my second most used character in Smash 4 according to the game stats... Then again I've hardly used anyone other than Ness lol. I've easily clocked in 30+ hours since her addition. I guess I'm obsessed but man, I'm still so happy she's in this game.

But yeah, her down tilt is so useful and the hitbox for it feels like it reaches behind her if the opponent is close enough I noticed. Might be just me not registering what's happening properly though.

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what witch time would do to his fsmash...
Slow down the projectile? Honestly not beats slowing down Shiek's vanish or Pikachu quick attack. Some really wonky stuff to watch unfold in slow motion.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I wonder what witch time would do to his fsmash...
Prolly has the regular effects if you Witch Time close enough (the splash effect of WT's aura affects those in proximity to Bayo; works this way on all projectiles and their respective owners).

If done far away, however, the projectile will either phase through her harmlessly or trigger Bat Within, depending on the timing.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
did you know that bosses like master hand and all the core forms also affects WT? :'D

a great way to use WT is on Gyros when Villagers tries to approach you with it! (either riding on it or running/jumping with it)

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I like Bayonetta, I think she has a very cool moveset and plays cool. Not my favorite type of character, but still cool. BUT! Something seriously needs to be done with her Down Air. I was playing as Ganon, and we were "kinda" close to the ledge, and her Down Air killed me on-stage at like 98%! Like, what? She also flies really fast downwards, BUT it cancels, so using it off-stage when someone is below you is almost a guaranteed hit, AND you can recover easily.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm loving her moves and Witch Time is incredible move.

Also those off-stage shenanigans

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
I like Bayonetta, I think she has a very cool moveset and plays cool. Not my favorite type of character, but still cool. BUT! Something seriously needs to be done with her Down Air. I was playing as Ganon, and we were "kinda" close to the ledge, and her Down Air killed me on-stage at like 98%! Like, what? She also flies really fast downwards, BUT it cancels, so using it off-stage when someone is below you is almost a guaranteed hit, AND you can recover easily.
Idk man, I like having a Dair that's actually a potent kill tool, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I love her side throw, as it's in reference to Virtua Fighter.

The more SEGA the better! :4sonic::4bayonetta2:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
ANDY SEMADA, IT'S YOU!!!!!!! I never thought I'd see you again after you left YouTube. How's it been, buddy? (p.s. This is knucklesSilver7).

In all seriousness, though, since I main Sonic, a character who plays offensively and uses tons of mixups in neutral, I was able to adapt to Bayo surprisingly well since that's what she does naturally for her combo starters. I was able to go from 0-55% after one bnb.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I wish we got a white Bayo 1 palette inspired by
the outfit Jeanne wears during the last fight against her. This is what I mean (sorry, couldn't find an actual picture of it from the game):
I'm honestly kinda disappointed by the Bayo 1 palettes. The colors are a little bland. I would kill for a purple (or the aforementioned white) Bayo 1 palette tbh. I'm also really liking the gold Bayo 2 palette. I think Bayo might be the only character I use different palettes for, depending on the version. The Bayo 1 palettes look awful on the 3DS, as does the silver Bayo 2 palette.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Hello ladies~. I've converted! I really like this character a lot and while she's a "secondary", she'll probably get more practice than all of the other characters I play (considering Mario, Doc, and yes, Cloud) don't really take a lot of practice if any.

This should be a lot of fun, I'm seeing great potential~.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I'm honestly kinda disappointed by the Bayo 1 palettes. The colors are a little bland. I would kill for a purple (or the aforementioned white) Bayo 1 palette tbh. I'm also really liking the gold Bayo 2 palette. I think Bayo might be the only character I use different palettes for, depending on the version. The Bayo 1 palettes look awful on the 3DS, as does the silver Bayo 2 palette.
I actually heavily prefer the Bayo 1 colour swaps over the Bayo 2 ones, the Jeanne colour pallete looks awful imo and the White one is so hard to see a difference in. Red classic Bayo is amazing though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I love her side throw, as it's in reference to Virtua Fighter.

The more SEGA the better! :4sonic::4bayonetta2:
There's something oddly satisfying about finishing a match with Fthrow for Bayonetta to yell 'JYUUNEN HAYAN DAYO!'
Decided to finally try Bayonetta 1. Jesus christ this is hard ****! Bayonetta is soooo frail compared to 2. Got myself Bat Within too. I only need to know 2 things: When parrying with the Link costume, does it work against all bosses? It worked just fine against Jeanne in situations Witch Time wouldn't trigger. And how do I switch weapons? For some reason I can't find the option to make custom weapon sets

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I finally made the decision to switch to :4bayonetta2:. She is too fun to play.

So i am new here...

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I actually heavily prefer the Bayo 1 colour swaps over the Bayo 2 ones, the Jeanne colour pallete looks awful imo and the White one is so hard to see a difference in. Red classic Bayo is amazing though.
The Bayo 1 palette swaps do look great on the Wii U, but they're like vomit-inducing on the 3DS lol. My opinion on the Bayo 1 palettes is green>blue>"red" (it's really pink/salmon/whatever).

I love the silver Bayo 2 palette. It's subtle, but I think it looks fantastic. I didn't like the gold Bayo 2 palette at first, but it has grown on me. Jeanne is my least favorite of the 3 Bayo 2 palettes, but it still looks good. The white Wicked Weaves look really nice.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I really love bayonetta the more I play her but I notice more her flaws. bad "neutral" and bad approach as she is a "combo varianted" and "Bait and Punish" type of character! its like ZSS and Ganondorf had a baby and it turned out to be the best!
Hello ladies~. I've converted! I really like this character a lot and while she's a "secondary", she'll probably get more practice than all of the other characters I play (considering Mario, Doc, and yes, Cloud) don't really take a lot of practice if any.

This should be a lot of fun, I'm seeing great potential~.
it took you long enought! we need more people :D

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The Bayo 1 palette swaps do look great on the Wii U, but they're like vomit-inducing on the 3DS lol. My opinion on the Bayo 1 palettes is green>blue>"red" (it's really pink/salmon/whatever).

I love the silver Bayo 2 palette. It's subtle, but I think it looks fantastic. I didn't like the gold Bayo 2 palette at first, but it has grown on me. Jeanne is my least favorite of the 3 Bayo 2 palettes, but it still looks good. The white Wicked Weaves look really nice.
It's not bad on the 3DS imo. It's just a little, thin. XD.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's something oddly satisfying about finishing a match with Fthrow for Bayonetta to yell 'JYUUNEN HAYAN DAYO!'
Decided to finally try Bayonetta 1. Jesus christ this is hard ****! Bayonetta is soooo frail compared to 2. Got myself Bat Within too. I only need to know 2 things: When parrying with the Link costume, does it work against all bosses? It worked just fine against Jeanne in situations Witch Time wouldn't trigger. And how do I switch weapons? For some reason I can't find the option to make custom weapon sets
I accidentally pressed select. Found em :D Is it me or are the sword weapons in Bayo the best? I remember the bow fron 2 being meh, the whip was fun but impractical, the shotguns are too slow and Durga's too slow too. Unless the second set is quicker. The swords make me feel invincible

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
I don't really understand why people say her neutral's bad. I'm finding it to be different, but I don't see how it's bad.

Fair walls are actually a thing, you can complete an entire fair in a short hop, and although she has landing lag, it's only 14 frames. That's completely fine and a lot of other characters would kill to have a poke like that. Fair is great as a confirm into lots of things, landed or just the fair chain itself. Having a wall of hitboxes like that is great defensively and could stuff run-ins from the air.

Bayonetta's nair is incredibly good, providing coverage on both sides and having only 10 frames of landing lag. The hitbox comes out frame 9, which is fine for what it does. It confirms into stuff at low percents, it gives her a great way to land if you use the bullet arts version and it doubles as a short hop laser at mid range.

If an opponent wants to jump around from afar, Bullet Climax can give you a free 14% if charged, although this move isn't amazing, it certainly is a lot better than a lot of other projectiles. Also being able to shield cancel this move keeps you mobile.

Dtilt has an amazing hitbox, larger than Sheik's ftilt and easily the best combo confirm in the game.

Utilt is a good anti-air, not great, but it's pretty good, combos as well.

Although ftilt is slow, it's absolutely massive when you do all 3 hits. On top of this it does 15% if all of it confirms.

Jab is slow, but it's not useless, once again, it deals 16% and is something to check spot dodges with.

Her grab data is fine and her pummel does 3% so grabs are just threatening enough that she doesn't lose to shield.

Bair is absolutely nuts for stuffing jump ins, no dead zones so you can cross up with it and sour spot for 10% unlike ZSS's bair which has a dead spot past her thigh.

Witch Twist is actually one of the best oos options in the game, jump cancel Witch Twist is frame 5 out-of-shield and combos. Means she doesn't have to rely on shield grab as her out of shield option.

Dair is a mixup tool that can be deadly if placed well, although it's not great it's certainly threatening.

ABK and D.ABK are absolutely stupid good. Both dive kicks coming out at a lightning frame 7 and D.ABK being safe on shield means that she has the best burst options in the air by far.

And on top of that she has the threat of Witch Time. Literally broken at frame 5 with complete body invincibility.

At least in my opinion, this character is absolutely mental.

Edit: figure it's worth pointing out that her ground movement is fine and her air accelearation is good as well.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
It's not bad on the 3DS imo. It's just a little, thin. XD.
The model itself isn't that bad. However, there's some really weird shading on the leg closest to the foreground. The leg is always super dark for whatever reason, and it looks awful. The leg is the most egregious offender, but the entire side of her closest to the foreground is super dark. I just double checked the game, and the super dark half also applies to the Bayo 2 model. I mean, it's amazing that's she even in the game at all, but the shading is soooo bad.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The model itself isn't that bad. However, there's some really weird shading on the leg closest to the foreground. The leg is always super dark for whatever reason, and it looks awful. The leg is the most egregious offender, but the entire side of her closest to the foreground is super dark. I just double checked the game, and the super dark half also applies to the Bayo 2 model. I mean, it's amazing that's she even in the game at all, but the shading is soooo bad.
The leg is meant to be like that. It's always similar in official art for both games.

The details for Bayonetta are hands down the best.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I accidentally pressed select. Found em :D Is it me or are the sword weapons in Bayo the best? I remember the bow fron 2 being meh, the whip was fun but impractical, the shotguns are too slow and Durga's too slow too. Unless the second set is quicker. The swords make me feel invincible
Well, there is the the fact Shuraba does allow you to hit angels on fire without burning yourself, so there's that.

Don't see where you're coming from with Onyx Roses though, they're just as fast as Scarborough Fair in attacking and only slightly slower in firing, plus their shots almost always flinch. Their only real downsides are low damage at range and not being able to squeeze out as much damage from holding which is important in limited punch/kick challenges.

Durga I don't know if you have set to fire which is indeed slower, but packs a huge punch. If you switch to lightning with circle+X or A that should also be almost be as quick as pistols.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I don't really understand why people say her neutral's bad. I'm finding it to be different, but I don't see how it's bad.

Fair walls are actually a thing, you can complete an entire fair in a short hop, and although she has landing lag, it's only 14 frames. That's completely fine and a lot of other characters would kill to have a poke like that. Fair is great as a confirm into lots of things, landed or just the fair chain itself. Having a wall of hitboxes like that is great defensively and could stuff run-ins from the air.

Bayonetta's nair is incredibly good, providing coverage on both sides and having only 10 frames of landing lag. The hitbox comes out frame 9, which is fine for what it does. It confirms into stuff at low percents, it gives her a great way to land if you use the bullet arts version and it doubles as a short hop laser at mid range.

If an opponent wants to jump around from afar, Bullet Climax can give you a free 14% if charged, although this move isn't amazing, it certainly is a lot better than a lot of other projectiles. Also being able to shield cancel this move keeps you mobile.

Dtilt has an amazing hitbox, larger than Sheik's ftilt and easily the best combo confirm in the game.

Utilt is a good anti-air, not great, but it's pretty good, combos as well.

Although ftilt is slow, it's absolutely massive when you do all 3 hits. On top of this it does 15% if all of it confirms.

Jab is slow, but it's not useless, once again, it deals 16% and is something to check spot dodges with.

Her grab data is fine and her pummel does 3% so grabs are just threatening enough that she doesn't lose to shield.

Bair is absolutely nuts for stuffing jump ins, no dead zones so you can cross up with it and sour spot for 10% unlike ZSS's bair which has a dead spot past her thigh.

Witch Twist is actually one of the best oos options in the game, jump cancel Witch Twist is frame 5 out-of-shield and combos. Means she doesn't have to rely on shield grab as her out of shield option.

Dair is a mixup tool that can be deadly if placed well, although it's not great it's certainly threatening.

ABK and D.ABK are absolutely stupid good. Both dive kicks coming out at a lightning frame 7 and D.ABK being safe on shield means that she has the best burst options in the air by far.

And on top of that she has the threat of Witch Time. Literally broken at frame 5 with complete body invincibility.

At least in my opinion, this character is absolutely mental.

Edit: figure it's worth pointing out that her ground movement is fine and her air accelearation is good as well.
thats true but many of her moves do have indeed "slow" start up (NAir, BAir) and FAir might be good but I found landing the first hit hard in the neutral and approach.
and its nothing that I say its "bad" as its already pretty good, but the problem is that there is characters that has better.
I tend to be better with her as a punisher as I can get my stuff better done when they approach me instead for I approaching them.

sadly, I have a huge struggle with Samus, Link and Toon Link due their projectiles. Villagers and DHD is actually much better than those 3

Astra Waifucon

Smash Cadet
thats true but many of her moves do have indeed "slow" start up (NAir, BAir) and FAir might be good but I found landing the first hit hard in the neutral and approach.
and its nothing that I say its "bad" as its already pretty good, but the problem is that there is characters that has better.
I tend to be better with her as a punisher as I can get my stuff better done when they approach me instead for I approaching them.

sadly, I have a huge struggle with Samus, Link and Toon Link due their projectiles. Villagers and DHD is actually much better than those 3
I feel like this characters will have trouble dealing with d.ABK but I'll have to test further.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever

Honestly, I feel like saying that Bayo has slow startup on some of her moves is like saying that the knife that I've strapped on a nuclear rocket isn't really sharp.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Hello all, So I never liked Sm4sh much before, and Was not really attracted to the game either, but then bayo came, I tried her, and I got bewitched by how she plays. Needless to say im psyched to play this character more and it has atracted me to sm4sh.

Top Bottom