• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I've played against you in fg, I was using bayo lol
Was it yesterday? It's rare to find a good Bayonetta online, so that's why I stayed in with you. I initially went online to just get some practice against human players using my ZSS (who I am trying to learn), and then when I started playing you, I was like "ooh, matchup practice!".

Anyway, how should I be playing against Bayonetta? What should I be doing? What sorts of things/signals should I be looking out for?

Last edited:

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
Was it yesterday? It's rare to find a good Bayonetta online, so that's why I stayed in with you. I initially went online to just get some practice against human players using my ZSS (who I am trying to learn), and then when I started playing you, I was like "ooh, matchup practice!".

Anyway, how should I be playing against Bayonetta? What should I be doing? What sorts of things/signals should I be looking out for?
Yep it was yesterday. About how to play against bayonetta, I'm not good at giving advice, what I was doing was just shield pressuring with bair and shooting some projectiles to make you attack me, then find an opening and start combos. You must be very careful when you do aerials on a bayonetta's shield, because her upb oos is f4 and a great combo starter

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Yep it was yesterday. About how to play against bayonetta, I'm not good at giving advice, what I was doing was just shield pressuring with bair and shooting some projectiles to make you attack me, then find an opening and start combos. You must be very careful when you do aerials on a bayonetta's shield, because her upb oos is f4 and a great combo starter
Right. So in reality, Bayonetta is looking for an opening on my behalf, waiting for me to commit to an unsafe aerial for her to make a move... or at least that's one thing.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Witch Twist oos is technically 8 frames (jump-canceled) or 11 frames (shield drop; there's really no reason to do it, though)

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Witch Twist oos is technically 8 frames (jump-canceled) or 11 frames (shield drop; it is 7 frames to drop shield, right?)
WT is 4 frames and you need to jumpcancel the shield so you only need 1 frame for that. Shield dropping takes 7 frames. Being its an up-b, theres no need for that.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I was under the impression that jump squat was taken into account. I guess I should have checked that before I posted, but w/e

I guess that would mean Witch Twist is frame 5 oos, then?

Last edited:

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
I was under the impression that jump squat was taken into account. I guess I should have checked that before I posted, but w/e

I guess that would mean Witch Twist is frame 5 oos, then?
Yep it's f5 oos, I wasn't thinking about the 1f needed to jump oos

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Apparently, you can cancel the jumpsquat on the same frame, so you actually can have a f4 Witch Twist oos

Learning is fun

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Hello Everyone. I am a Bayonetta main and I came back onto this thread with a couple of questions. First off. I have a friend I play with and he plays Pac-Man and he was wondering what is the best DI Methods against Bayonetta. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Also, I was wondering what do you guys think Bayonetta's Worst Match-ups are? I personally think it's characters with a good grab game and a really solid projectile game to keep her out. Are there a list of Bayonetta's worst matchups on here?

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Has anyone here actually tested how to optimally DI Bayo's combos?

Personally, I'd try to DI up and away, but I don't know if that's the best way or not.

As for her worst MUs, I'd say characters with really good neutral games are threats to her, as her neutral is kinda lacking (it suffices, though). I could also see her struggling with rushdown characters, but idk for sure about that.

I don't think a good grab game would be that big of a problem because anything that's not guaranteed will get escaped by Bat Within.

Idk if projectiles are really a big deal for her because she has multiple burst movement options that can help close the gap between her and her opponent. When she gets close enough, she can even Witch Time the projectiles and have it affect the opponent (but it's unlikely anyone would use a projectile when she's that close. It's worth mentioning, though).

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I have only tried once since nobody ELSE seems to play her here, but DI down seemed to work.
Man, I wish I could lab her out a lot more.
:196:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Has anyone here actually tested how to optimally DI Bayo's combos?

Personally, I'd try to DI up and away, but I don't know if that's the best way or not.

As for her worst MUs, I'd say characters with really good neutral games are threats to her, as her neutral is kinda lacking (it suffices, though). I could also see her struggling with rushdown characters, but idk for sure about that.

I don't think a good grab game would be that big of a problem because anything that's not guaranteed will get escaped by Bat Within.

Idk if projectiles are really a big deal for her because she has multiple burst movement options that can help close the gap between her and her opponent. When she gets close enough, she can even Witch Time the projectiles and have it affect the opponent (but it's unlikely anyone would use a projectile when she's that close. It's worth mentioning, though).
she hasnt really a big problem against rush-down in my opinion. she can easy play hard to catch and jump around and punish them when they whiff something and WT on an predictable attack

against projectile users she might have harder time with. I do struggle little of Robin, Link and Samus sometime due their excellent projetilce game.

Pancracio17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pancracio17
rushdowns would be a hell of a lot harder for me without witch time and witch twist OoS, these moves save her here. against projectile users you play patiently until you find an opening and pressure with BA, heel slide goes under tons of projectiles like link's bow so use that too.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
played on a online tourny with Solo Bayonetta!

my registration did get glitched up so I couldnt join in the start, so I had to jump in into one that already DQ on Loser Bracket. but I carried all the way to Quarter Losers, lost only to another Bayonetta!

I am proud over myself 'D'

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I had known she was tall, but I didn't know she was THAT tall.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just beat Devil May Cry 1 for the first time. I can definitely see similarities between it and Kamiya's other games, like Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta, and it feels like a lot of the content/story was left over from when it was a Resident Evil game. (Dante can comment on just about anything, including books on the area's agriculture, which seems out of place in an action game; the island explodes for no apparent reason; the final boss comes back as a blob monster for one last stand...)

It was fun, though tough (and the camera did not help matters). I was planning on 100% completing Bayonetta 1 for the Wii U at some point (as well as beating Bayonetta 2 on its hardest difficulty, since that's all that I have left for it), but I think I'll go through the DMC games first to see how the genre evolved.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Just beat Devil May Cry 1 for the first time. I can definitely see similarities between it and Kamiya's other games, like Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta, and it feels like a lot of the content/story was left over from when it was a Resident Evil game. (Dante can comment on just about anything, including books on the area's agriculture, which seems out of place in an action game; the island explodes for no apparent reason; the final boss comes back as a blob monster for one last stand...)

It was fun, though tough (and the camera did not help matters). I was planning on 100% completing Bayonetta 1 for the Wii U at some point (as well as beating Bayonetta 2 on its hardest difficulty, since that's all that I have left for it), but I think I'll go through the DMC games first to see how the genre evolved.
you can skip DMC2 since you played 1. You're probably not gonna like it as it gets repetitive. They added some good features that they put in 3 but the engine is very different. DMC4SE I can pass you a link if your PC is good enough. Ignore DmC lol

Edit: I have a link for DMC3SE on PC too. PM me if you want it lol

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I'm having trouble with Bayonettas Z2D on Fox. I tried the heavy version, mid version and the light version and it seemed like I can never trap him with first hit of fair or he escapes out of my normal witch twist. Anything?

I had known she was tall, but I didn't know she was THAT tall.
I like Dante, he's a badass on Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but Bayonetta must win. Send our girl some energy.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
you can skip DMC2 since you played 1. You're probably not gonna like it as it gets repetitive. They added some good features that they put in 3 but the engine is very different. DMC4SE I can pass you a link if your PC is good enough. Ignore DmC lol

Edit: I have a link for DMC3SE on PC too. PM me if you want it lol
I doubt my PC would be good enough (it has a lot of trouble running games that are a few years old, like Saint's Row 3); besides, I have the HD Collection (which includes the special edition of 3), and I got DMC4 for the Xbox 360 for about $7.

I figured I should probably ignore DmC: Devil May Cry - from what I can see, they took a lot of the fun out of the series, turning the cocky and silly Dante into an edgy try-hard. It's like going from the Sonic games to Shadow the Hedgehog, except in this case, they're outright replacing Sonic with Shadow and mocking the people who liked Sonic to begin with.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I doubt my PC would be good enough (it has a lot of trouble running games that are a few years old, like Saint's Row 3); besides, I have the HD Collection (which includes the special edition of 3), and I got DMC4 for the Xbox 360 for about $7.

I figured I should probably ignore DmC: Devil May Cry - from what I can see, they took a lot of the fun out of the series, turning the cocky and silly Dante into an edgy try-hard. It's like going from the Sonic games to Shadow the Hedgehog, except in this case, they're outright replacing Sonic with Shadow and mocking the people who liked Sonic to begin with.
DMC4SE is really good with all the additions. Sorry your PC cant run it :< Maybe grab it later on PS4.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
DMC2? That one game in the franchise that doesn't exist?

Smooth Criminal
Is it really that bad? My first impression is that the swordplay is a lot less useful this time around (Stinger, in particular, saw a massive downgrade), the removal of buying new moves is an odd choice, and the enemies seem to be much easier to deal with (DMC1 was really hard at the beginning, but it got more manageable once I got moves like Stinger and Air Raid - here, the enemies stand still and let you hit them without putting up much of a fight), but it doesn't seem that horrible.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Is it really that bad? My first impression is that the swordplay is a lot less useful this time around (Stinger, in particular, saw a massive downgrade), the removal of buying new moves is an odd choice, and the enemies seem to be much easier to deal with (DMC1 was really hard at the beginning, but it got more manageable once I got moves like Stinger and Air Raid - here, the enemies stand still and let you hit them without putting up much of a fight), but it doesn't seem that horrible.
DMC2 would have only been acceptable if it was the first in the series. DMC1 set such a high standard that DMC2 was just lacking in fastpaced gameplay. It was just guns mostly lol

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Ok so a new patch came out tonight... Lets just hope there arent too many nerfs all they need to do is adjust WT and that it.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
They ninja'd a patch in...
Fresh Witch Time buffed to 5 seconds for maximum taunt potential? :^)

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I hadn't been home when I posted that, so hadn't been able to actually download the update and play Bayo for myself.

I don't think the dair thing is that big of a deal, since you can still survive if you short hop offstage and then dair.

Bayonetta nerfs were inevitable, but I'm glad that they're not that significant.

OllieWG♪

Smash Master
NNID
OliverT1D3
I hadn't been home when I posted that, so hadn't been able to actually download the update and play Bayo for myself.

I don't think the dair thing is that big of a deal, since you can still survive if you short hop offstage and then dair.

Bayonetta nerfs were inevitable, but I'm glad that they're not that significant.
The only thing I thought that was required to be nerfed is the lag on Witch Time, the duration shouldn't have been touched.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I think it was warranted.

Her counter is legit stupid, and now you can't spam it as often. You can still use a smash attack or start a combo or whatever.

I thought she'd get nerfed way harder than this (think Diddy's nerfs in 1.0.8 and the subsequent balance patches or Rosalina in 1.0.4).

Top Bottom