• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Megamang

Smash Lord
It is unfortunate that the DLC characters, more so the 3rd party DLC, have more depth. Usually in the form of having more possible inputs or tactics. But there are a good number of them, and their addition is cool for players who want that depth. And the other characters can hang, hell the best character is packaged with the original game. Its not like we have a tier of DLC above all else.

If all the DLC was trailer trash tier, we'd have people complaining that we got hype for no reason, Nintendo can't make a character, etc etc etc.

I think Nairo raged and put change on the ground? Or somehow otherwise originated the meme? Either way, top players are often opposed to change since they are at the top as things are. Zero liked prepatch Diddy, and Nairo said the shieldstun changes felt unnecessary. But both of those patches have been objectively amazing for the game, to the point where I think we owe the health of the current meta to those things. Its just human nature.

Ignore stream monsters, if Bayo was free they'd be spouting some other dumb meme.

That little arrow that minimizes twitch chat is the best button on the whole interface, in every game I watch. Its not worth the stress, and you can't ever get in on the fast moving conversation, and even if you do you aren't gonna convince da memesters. Don't stress about it or think about it. If bayo gets crazy, we can cross that bridge when we get there. But as it is, we need crazy to compete with shiek and ZSS.

Last edited:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
People also generally do very well with new characters because nobody has experience against them and it takes a while to adjust. It's nothing new, it happens in all games.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
People also generally do very well with new characters because nobody has experience against them and it takes a while to adjust. It's nothing new, it happens in all games.
Also some people tend to actually lab them and practice right after buying them like they did not with any other character after the game's release.
:196:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Bayonetta is too much fun to hate.
Yeah, it's not like dying to corrins stupid fsmash or counter. Witch time is at least different and kinda funny. You get to see how creative people can be with their WT setups and punishes. I've never been angry when I gotten witch timed or died to it.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it's not like dying to corrins stupid fsmash or counter. Witch time is at least different and kinda funny. You get to see how creative people can be with their WT setups and punishes. I've never been angry when I gotten witch timed or died to it.
Plus, you get to witness yourself die, being able to reevaluate every single one of your life decisions.

That's hilarious... right?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I remember Salem taunted and Usmashed right before WT finished. Gold.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
who else is excited for the upcoming Bayonetta Death Battle?

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I will ever dislike about Witch Time is that if a move clanks with wicked weaves, you can just do it again and kill them anyways. Feels so bad to die to that and even feels really bad whenever I'm bayonetta myself and pull that off.

OllieWG♪

Smash Master
NNID
OliverT1D3
Bayonetta is too much fun to hate.
This.
I've heard from legitimately all of my friends and even my crew mates that Bayonetta is broken and annoying to fight.

Can't be more OP or annoying than sheik....
In all seriousness Bayonetta is fun. the only ones not fun to fight is the FG Bayo's.
HEEL SLIDE HEEL SLIDE!

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
I been getting a lot of Bayo hate locally. It sucks because I was a Samus main until I dropped her and before Bayo came out I was in main limbo. Now that I play a character I really enjoy and am interested in, I catch so much flak.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Let people hate. You keep on doing what makes you happy and disregard their comments. It's your life and they can't control what you do.

And Bayonetta is stupid. I'm a Bayo main and even I acknowledge it. A frame 1 escape option and a counter that kills at 0% off of a jab are astoundingly stupid design choices, and even then, that's disregarding everything else in her kit.

Last edited:

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
Let people hate. You keep on doing what makes you happy and disregard their comments. It's your life and they can't control what you do.

And Bayonetta is stupid. I'm a Bayo main and even I acknowledge it. A frame 1 escape option and a counter that kills at 0% off of a jab are astoundingly stupid design choices, and even then, that's disregarding everything else in her kit.
Well those two things do compensate greatly for her slow frame date, bad dodges, and poor mobility (ABK aside).

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
her mobility isn't even bad; it's basically average (except for walk speed, which is a bit worse than average. also, her air acceleration is tied for 7th best)

her frame data isn't even that bad; all of her relevant moves are her fastest ones, minus a few outliers like dair and bair (frame 4 witch twist; frame 7 utilt, dtilt, fair, abk; frame 8 down abk; frame 9 jab, uair, nair, etc).

her rolls are bad, but bat within more than makes up for it. mix-ups are rendered obsolete against bayonetta because bat within airdodge is frame 1

i love this character to death, but a lot of the aspects of her design leave me scratching my head. i feel essentially the same way about cloud (except for the whole "loving him" thing; cloud is literal trash).

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
her mobility isn't even bad; it's basically average (except for walk speed, which is a bit worse than average. also, her air acceleration is tied for 7th best)

her frame data isn't even that bad; all of her relevant moves are her fastest ones, minus a few outliers like dair and bair (frame 4 witch twist; frame 7 utilt, dtilt, fair, abk; frame 8 down abk; frame 9 jab, uair, nair, etc).

her rolls are bad, but bat within more than makes up for it. mix-ups are rendered obsolete against bayonetta because bat within airdodge is frame 1

i love this character to death, but a lot of the aspects of her design leave me scratching my head. i feel essentially the same way about cloud (except for the whole "loving him" thing; cloud is literal trash).
Disregarding witch twist, when you don't have a single other move that's under 7 frames that's kinda bad. (though it does stop Bayonetta from becoming brawl MK 2.0, which is good)

I would ask why you be like that to Cloud but honestly I rather this not derail this conversation into something possibly ugly. So I'll just leave you with your opinion.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Watching 9B was kinda interesting. Lots of walking.

But also very little use of jab, or even Dive Kick. Interesting for sure, but I definitely play her very different.

But I'll use walk more since that looked like a nice patient way to move around.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
But honestly I dont even see high lvl matches where a jab gets witch timed and and results in a death at 0. More often then not the Bayo player is looking to counter something else l, namely aerials and telegraphed moves. It can be baited and her combos can be broken by DI.

Bat within is clutch but can def put you in a bad position at times. Eveything that I see people complain about are things that are susceptible to counter play. Just look at grand finals at KTAR between Salem and Marrs.

Whats worse is that my opponents were complaining even before I got good with her, and I STILL dont have consistent optimal combos with her.

I think shes def really strong, but honestly shouldnt she be? People would be salty if they paid for dlc and it turned out those characters were mid tier at best.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
oh yeah, i forgot that lucas, roy, and mewtwo don't exist

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Having a Brawl MK background, I don't really mind the Bayonetta hate, but truth is, if people hates you you are probably doing something right (like using a GOOD character).

9B's style is weird, I don't seem to learn anything from watching him except maybe that I must optimize my combo game. Also he is clearly influenced from playing Ryu (which I think is his best character).

Megamang

Smash Lord
What combo was he using exactly? I know i can copy it, but I'm missing one thing: Someone said he was b-reversing one of the B moves? I try and repeat what he did, but my opponent ends up at a different place... so, which move was he B reversing? ABK B-reverse could be moving him back, or B-reversing Witch Twist could be causing different knockback.. its hard to lab this out without knowing which one to do, since I don't often know if I successfully B-reversed Witch Twist.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Ok, I need some advice, and I don't know where else to turn to.

I am really struggling against Bayonetta. I am overall decent with her too, but put me against her, and no matter who I play as, or how I play, I cannot seem to find a way to compete with her.

I cannot approach her. I cannot safely hit her without being punished. She manages to air dodge out of anything and everything I do.

What can I physically do to compete with Bayonetta? I've tried looking at my own play. I've tried playing safe. I've tried playing aggressive. I've tried almost anything and it's come to a point now where my enjoyment and enthusiasm of the game is going down because any tournament I go to, there's Bayonetta, and I just cannot find a way to get around her.

Bayonetta players, what should I be doing? What should I not be doing? What should I be looking out for? How should I play against her? I'd very much appreciate some input.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I forgot to mention i won a tourney on Sunday. Bayo vs sheik I am quite comfortable due to my OoS options.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I'll post them here in a minute.

Its really just knowing when you WT OoS and maximizing from it. Have to eyeball when to stop your combo cause you cant go any further with it. Alot of bayos overextend and gets themselves killed lol

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Don't mind the scruffiness. I'm getting bribed lol

So 2 wins for me for the past few weeks....would be 3 but random tourney at magfest didnt allow DLC cause casuals lol

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
You should mention which character you're using, to start.
Well, I play any of the 6 in the top line of my signature. (which is :rosalina:,:4marth:,:4mario:,:4zss:,:4bayonetta:,:4samus:)

That said, I use Marth and Rosalina FAR more than anyone else, and generally who I go to in a tournament situation, so in reality, those two. I have wondered how good Mario is against Bayonetta though, with him being relatively nimble/hard to punish.

Last edited:

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
Well, I play any of the 6 in the top line of my signature. (which is :rosalina:,:4marth:,:4mario:,:4zss:,:4bayonetta:,:4samus:)

That said, I use Marth and Rosalina FAR more than anyone else, and generally who I go to in a tournament situation, so in reality, those two. I have wondered how good Mario is against Bayonetta though, with him being relatively nimble/hard to punish.
I've played against you in fg, I was using bayo lol

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
awesome matches NinjaLink! but I want to give some kind of critism despite you won:

- You were really good at being safe and not going for super combos that can failure and put you in disadvantes, but I thought you were little too safe. (but as long it works, its fine)
- at higher % on sheik, WT -> DJ FAir1 -> ABK should work better than FAir1 -> WT especially on Mixup. ABK could give you an Free WT -> UAir/FAirs which would be much better for killing because you are higher up
- you approached sometimes with Heel Slide when it was unsafe. was pretty sure you predicted something you could punish but still.

but you still really great 'D'

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
awesome matches NinjaLink! but I want to give some kind of critism despite you won:

- You were really good at being safe and not going for super combos that can failure and put you in disadvantes, but I thought you were little too safe. (but as long it works, its fine)
- at higher % on sheik, WT -> DJ FAir1 -> ABK should work better than FAir1 -> WT especially on Mixup. ABK could give you an Free WT -> UAir/FAirs which would be much better for killing because you are higher up
- you approached sometimes with Heel Slide when it was unsafe. was pretty sure you predicted something you could punish but still.

but you still really great 'D'
You're right about the fair1 to abk. Just something I forgot about lol
As for heel slide, I was checking to see how he would punish it. I normally dont use it much being I know it could be punished. Only time i use it is when i knock someone too far and i catch the landing with it or to catch someone on the ledge.
I appreciate the critique!

Top Bottom