• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Well, because you have read what people post to actually moderate. Unless you're on like some sort of extended mod break or something. A mod break is a thing now by the way, as of one sentence ago.
A mod break has always been a thing. I took one back in the latter half of 2011.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
You seem pretty intent on making Ganondorf out to be more evil than he really is.
Is it even possible to get more evil than him? Let's list his crimes.

• Lying
  • Theft
  • Murder
  • Attempting to abduct a princess
  • Abduction of a princess
  • Invasion of a peaceful kindgom
  • Conquest of said peaceful kingdom
  • Leveling a castle, numerous charges. And I'm guessing he didn't evacuate people.
  • Desecration
  • Destruction of sacred realms and locations
  • Premeditated freezing of a peaceful society
  • Possession of noble and royal officials
  • Depending on wherever redeads come from, necromancy for villanous purposes
  • Assault
  • Resurrection of evil creatures and threatening to use them to maintain control over a population
  • Attempted genocide
  • Attempted forced starvation of a docile sentient species until submission
  • Placing curses and hexes on unwilling creatures
  • Cruelty to animals
  • Willful destruction of natural environments
  • Kidnapping in general
  • Grand larceny
And if you want to count Hyrule Warriors
  • Mental and emotional manipulation
  • More possession
  • Complete destruction of a sovereign kingdom, rendering it uninhabitable and unuseable for economic purposes
But I can say there seems to be no evidence towards sexual abuse, so there is that.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor

• Lying
  • Theft
  • Murder
  • Leveling a castle, numerous charges. And I'm guessing he didn't evacuate people.
  • Desecration
  • Assault
  • Resurrection of evil creatures and threatening to use them to maintain control over a population
  • Attempted genocide
  • Cruelty to animals
  • Kidnapping in general
  • Grand larceny
  • More possession
  • Complete destruction of a sovereign kingdom, rendering it uninhabitable and unuseable for economic purposes
But I can say there seems to be no evidence towards sexual abuse, so there is that.
Don't forget assaulting multiple officers of the peace!
GBH, Battery, Crimes against the law of nature via immortality...

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Don't forget assaulting multiple officers of the peace!
GBH, Battery, Crimes against the law of nature via immortality...
On all but that last one I am willing to agree on. However, immortality in zelda seems to a common thing for powerful beings and technically Link and Zelda's spirits are functionally eternal.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I think you're confusing efficiency and economy of conquest with compassion. Malevolent fervor and well-developed executive skills aren't mutually exclusive, after all.

Though, your point is well-taken, considering that shortly after this line

Ganondorf quickly states "Haha, just kidding. Come on guys just let me rule Hyrule, I don't wanna hurt anybody"
Lines like that didn't happen in Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker. They really don't fit in with the way he speaks in those games, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks Ganondorf was kind of shoehorned into Twilight Princess. Either way, sometimes people just say things to mess with whoever they're speaking to.

• Lying
  • Theft
  • Murder
  • Desecration
  • Assault
  • Attempted genocide
  • Cruelty to animals
  • Kidnapping in general
  • Grand larceny
  • More possession
People aren't evil because of their actions, it's because of their reasons for taking them. Ganondorf did those things to fulfill his goals. Ridley on the other hand is much more evil because he does those kinds of things for pleasure. Sure, Ganondorf is a pretty terrible person for being okay with harming others, and yes he'll enjoy it when he does it, but this is a person who can laugh at his own death. He's not that evil.

Just for fun though, I'll pick apart some of the points on that list:

Lying- Oooh, so evil~
Destruction of sacred realms and locations- "Sacred" is subjective.
Necromany for villainous purposes- Since necromancy isn't evil on its own, you're literally just saying he's being villainous. Which is obvious.
Cruelty to animals- As opposed to... cruelty to plants? "Cruelty" is kind of vague anyway. See the above point on villainy.
Murder, invasion of a peacful kingdom, assault, willful destruction of natural environments- Animals do these things all the time with no malevolent intentions. Humans too, for the last one.

I haven't seen the story of Hyrule Warriors yet and I don't know who wrote it, so I don't know if I'd count that.

There's also no evidence for torture. Because as I said, Ganondorf generally only does what he thinks is required to achieve his goals. Otherwise, he'd be causing way more suffering than what we've seen. So far, the only time he may have canonically gone farther than that is in Wind Waker's backstory, which was probably out of rage. Even in the classics, the random townsfolk were left alone.

tl;dr: Ganondorf is fairly evil, but he's far from a complete monster.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Lines like that didn't happen in Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker. They really don't fit in with the way he speaks in those games, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks Ganondorf was kind of shoehorned into Twilight Princess. Either way, sometimes people just say things to mess with whoever they're speaking to.

People aren't evil because of their actions, it's because of their reasons for taking them. Ganondorf did those things to fulfill his goals. Ridley on the other hand is much more evil because he does those kinds of things for pleasure. Sure, Ganondorf is a pretty terrible person for being okay with harming others, and yes he'll enjoy it when he does it, but this is a person who can laugh at his own death. He's not that evil.

Just for fun though, I'll pick apart some of the points on that list:

Lying- Oooh, so evil~
Destruction of sacred realms and locations- "Sacred" is subjective.
Necromany for villainous purposes- Since necromancy isn't evil on its own, you're literally just saying he's being villainous. Which is obvious.
Cruelty to animals- As opposed to... cruelty to plants? "Cruelty" is kind of vague anyway. See the above point on villainy.
Murder, invasion of a peacful kingdom, assault, willful destruction of natural environments- Animals do these things all the time with no malevolent intentions. Humans too, for the last one.

I haven't seen the story of Hyrule Warriors yet and I don't know who wrote it, so I don't know if I'd count that.

There's also no evidence for torture. Because as I said, Ganondorf generally only does what he thinks is required to achieve his goals. Otherwise, he'd be causing way more suffering than what we've seen. So far, the only time he may have canonically gone farther than that is in Wind Waker's backstory, which was probably out of rage. Even in the classics, the random townsfolk were left alone.

tl;dr: Ganondorf is fairly evil, but he's far from a complete monster.
Ummm.... Hate to say it. But because he recognizes that what he does is wrong and does it anyway makes him more evil than Ridley. Ridley is just basically an animal. Also Ganondorf tries to kill gods all the time. There is nothing more evil than that, I am sorry. Killing a person < Killing sacred gods

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah, it really has. Years even!

Gonna be fun rocking ganon in a game where he isn't awful. I'm interested to see how he pans out. Don't think he'll be high/top tier, but good enough to compete at least

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Ummm.... Hate to say it. But because he recognizes that what he does is wrong and does it anyway makes him more evil than Ridley. Ridley is just basically an animal. Also Ganondorf tries to kill gods all the time. There is nothing more evil than that, I am sorry. Killing a person < Killing sacred gods
Gonna step in on this one, but Ridley is actually fully sentient and very intelligent. He's just genocidal and vicious.

Ganondorf is proud, wrothful, greedy, ambitious, selfish, and cruel. Also genocidal and vicious. So... yeah... pretty evil.

Let's please not try to put the king of evil in leather pants.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
That depends on what kind of Biker outfit he would have.
Hwoarang-esque biker Ganon? No plz
Paul-esque biker Ganon? Sign me the **** up

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Doesn't he actually wear leather in Ocarina of Time? I always got a slight biker feel from him because of that. Only swap the bike out for a horse.

I don't think Ganondorf views the Golden Godesses as sacred. Considering what they did to their beloved Hyrule, I don't see why he would. A god is just a person with immense power; they can be evil too. With how popular Kid Icarus has gotten, I'd expect people to understand that. Killing a god is no different than killing a human or animal.
Ridley is just basically an animal.
What Ryuutakeshi said. But let's not start an argument about that.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Doesn't he actually wear leather in Ocarina of Time? I always got a slight biker feel from him because of that. Only swap the bike out for a horse.

I don't think Ganondorf views the Golden Godesses as sacred. Considering what they did to their beloved Hyrule, I don't see why he would. A god is just a person with immense power; they can be evil too. With how popular Kid Icarus has gotten, I'd expect people to understand that. Killing a god is no different than killing a human or animal.

What Ryuutakeshi said. But let's not start an argument about that.
Well technically, Ganondorf himself is a god, being a reincarnation of demise. But, look at the facts. The gods work much differently in Zelda than in KIU. Instead of each god being relatively equal, Zelda works on a very hierarchal level.
The three creation goddesses(din, farore, and nayru)
Then we have the servants of evil and good. Demise(therefore Ganondorf) wants to destroy what the goddesses made. Hylia(Later to be incarnated as Zelda) .
Then we have the sages.
Then the light spirits
The great fairies
The fairies
But here is something that could decide everything. Demise is really in charge of Ganondorf don't you think? Whenever Ganondorf turns into Ganon he has no control over himself. So we have both a cold and calculating villain, and a really powerful (almost) mindless beast. That is a lot more evil than Ridley could ever be.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Well technically, Ganondorf himself is a god, being a reincarnation of demise. But, look at the facts. The gods work much differently in Zelda than in KIU. Instead of each god being relatively equal, Zelda works on a very hierarchal level.
The three creation goddesses(din, farore, and nayru)
Then we have the servants of evil and good. Demise(therefore Ganondorf) wants to destroy what the goddesses made. Hylia(Later to be incarnated as Zelda) .
Then we have the sages.
Then the light spirits
The great fairies
The fairies
But here is something that could decide everything. Demise is really in charge of Ganondorf don't you think? Whenever Ganondorf turns into Ganon he has no control over himself. So we have both a cold and calculating villain, and a really powerful (almost) mindless beast. That is a lot more evil than Ridley could ever be.
Ridley also isn't a conqueror. He's just a ravager.

Exalted

Smash Lord
So with the imminent return of havoc and destruction that Ganondorf will bring forth in the new Smash games, I figured it's time I return to my birthplace: the Ganon boards.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I think Kamiko is afraid to accept the power and kingly sovereignty of Ganon.

Also, my friend Erika left the mark of Ganon at the tournament venue This weekend. I have no idea why she dated it 9/14 though.

Last edited:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Esteemed Gerudo warriors. My brothers in blood.

It has begun.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Well technically, Ganondorf himself is a god, being a reincarnation of demise.
Ganondorf is NOT a reincarnation of Demise. He exists because of Demise. That's it.

Demise(therefore Ganondorf) wants to destroy what the goddesses made.
Ganondorf doesn't want to destroy it, he wants to own it.

Then we have the sages.
Then the light spirits
The great fairies
The fairies
The light spirits are arguable, but I wouldn't call the other three gods of any sort.

But here is something that could decide everything. Demise is really in charge of Ganondorf don't you think?
Not really.

Whenever Ganondorf turns into Ganon he has no control over himself.
We don't know this for certain, that's just a popular theory.

So we have both a cold and calculating villain, and a really powerful (almost) mindless beast.
The only time Ganon was shown to be any degree of mindless was in the combined Oracle ending, and that was explained in-game.

That is a lot more evil than Ridley could ever be.
I don't see how that has anything to do with being evil.

I think Kamiko is afraid to accept the power and kingly sovereignty of Ganon.
I think you're all afraid to accept that Ganondorf isn't the generic villain you all want him to be.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
We have a name for people like you, Kamiko.

I'd tell you what it is, but you'd probably want to argue about that, too.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganondorf is NOT a reincarnation of Demise. He exists because of Demise. That's it.
Ganondorf would still exist even without Demise, it was Demise's hatred for the Gods which incarnated his spirit within Ganondorf.

We have a name for people like you, Kamiko.
Those damn Links.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Ganondorf would still exist even without Demise,
You're right, I didn't word that properly. Ganondorf plays the role he does because of Demise. There we go.

it was Demise's hatred for the Gods which incarnated his spirit within Ganondorf.
There's no indication that Ganondorf contains Demise's spirit.

Witty and original. No way any one of these billions of people who live on this Planet are like you.
Nope.
Say what you want, but I've been looking for people with personalities close to mine, and I'm just not finding any.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
You're right, I didn't word that properly. Ganondorf plays the role he does because of Demise. There we go.

There's no indication that Ganondorf contains Demise's spirit.

Say what you want, but I've been looking for people with personalities close to mine, and I'm just not finding any.
The worst judge of a persons personality is themselves.

Just saiyan.

Top Bottom