• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If it isn't Claire!

How've you been?
I've been alright. Bit of a roller coaster of life issues happening, but I'm overall doing well. I've been playing Smash Wii U lately, and the online play is by and large rather great (provided the opponent's connection is good too). I've also been working on a novel, and I'm also currently on not so much a writer's block, because I know what the next chapter will be, but more procrastination, which I ought to break.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Excellent to hear! It's so hard to believe the last time we saw each other was 2011!

@Opa: GGs as always, sir. It's about that time to split for me.

Edit: I figured it was you when I ran into you, but then the Sheik came out. But then you behaved in such a way that you had some idea of how I played. Then the white Ganon came out. =P

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah definitely, I really like fighting you because I think we're both really creative with our set ups and such, it's just you apply it better lol. I tried to take fromyou as we played, I try that for everyone actually like the double kick nair stuff from A2 or the choke to fair from Z1. I think I tried to force things too much, such as aerudo ir gdabs lol. I am trying to utilize uthrow, after they exhaust their jumps it puts us in a reallygood position although I eas careful chasing you with your wixkicks. I'm trying to apply sh dairs but I need a feel for it, it is something I need to practice. I saved a lot of replays just because of how crazy they were,good fun. Also I noticed you stringing more, I thought so anyway. You di my strings too well lol.

We gotta go again sometime man, always leave feeling pumped in a good way.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Hey guys! Been itching to fight more of you. I've only fought A2Z so far (got bodied and learned some stuff) and I wanted to test my night against the rest of you. I'll be available today from 2-2:30 Central if any of you want to have a quick bout on Wii U. The rest of my week is unfortunately booked :(

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Actually, I have a quick question: Are you strictly doing Ganon dittos, or would you guys be okay if I used my Rosalina? I've been needing more practice, especially with how rusty I am, although I wouldn't mind doing Ganon dittos regardless.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Actually, I have a quick question: Are you strictly doing Ganon dittos, or would you guys be okay if I used my Rosalina? I've been needing more practice, especially with how rusty I am, although I wouldn't mind doing Ganon dittos regardless.
Wow same time post lol, you two play and I'd love to fight a Rosalina.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I've never gotten the fascination with MLP at older ages tbh.

We should play sometime though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've never gotten the fascination with MLP at older ages tbh.

We should play sometime though.
Because friendship is indeed magic~

- she says, posting in the Ganon thread.

Starting to dig around in Ganon's custom moveset to see if I can find something I like. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I still feel like I'm in the deep end without knowing how to swim.

Would anybody care to play dittos with me sometime? I'm not aiming to be a pro or anything, I just think Dorf is fun to play with and I'd be happy to have another pocket under my belt. :3

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Because friendship is indeed magic~

- she says, posting in the Ganon thread.

Starting to dig around in Ganon's custom moveset to see if I can find something I like. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I still feel like I'm in the deep end without knowing how to swim.

Would anybody care to play dittos with me sometime? I'm not aiming to be a pro or anything, I just think Dorf is fun to play with and I'd be happy to have another pocket under my belt. :3
I'm up for a few rounds if you're available now.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Gg Opana. Again, I got rekt. Never seen such a hyper Ganondorf before. How do you do it?
GGs, sorry I had to leave but I had to.

Kinda stupid but I wanted to show off when I first started learning advanced things but over time I've used these maneuvers in my serious game and it makes for a crazy dorf lol. I wish I always had this in me, when I play well known players I play it super safe. I like friendlies because Idc if I sd then lol.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
GGs, sorry I had to leave but I had to.

Kinda stupid but I wanted to show off when I first started learning advanced things but over time I've used these maneuvers in my serious game and it makes for a crazy dorf lol. I wish I always had this in me, when I play well known players I play it super safe. I like friendlies because Idc if I sd then lol.
That's awesome! Looking forward to sparring with you more in the future. Sorry I wasn't too much of a challenge. It's one of those days :p
But no johns XD

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
That's awesome! Looking forward to sparring with you more in the future. Sorry I wasn't too much of a challenge. It's one of those days :p
But no johns XD
I actually wasn't at my best either, I am very tired and kept messung up my strings lol.

Don't worry it's always fun, even when I'm losing a lot I really enjoy the creativity in set ups and the like.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I played some games with GN and Pon. They're better than me and won the majority of games against me, but the games were very fun and intense, and usually pretty close. I still have much to learn, but I was very happy to play against them and show them my skills.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I think I'd do better vs. Gungnir if I wasn't so damn intimidated by him lol.

Also ds is broken, U only for a bit.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think I'd do better vs. Gungnir if I wasn't so damn intimidated by him lol.

Also ds is broken, U only for a bit.
Personally me, I rarely feel intimidated by players, but I still get nervous in tournament settings when there's pressure to perform.

As people might have seen from the few videos I've posted of Pon, I feel like Pon especially is really good at making lethal hard reads. He has a lot of knowledge of situations where he's able to end stocks. I feel like you would actually enjoy playing against Pon quite a lot. He's both calculating, yet aggressive the way I see things. Gungnir I feel more excels at baiting and spacing as a whole, and he's also really crazy when it comes to tech skill (though to be honest, probably a lot of Ganon players from Japan have borrowed tech from him at this point).

GN's Falcon by far is one of the most precise Falcons I've played against. He perfect pivots in neutral in a way that appears almost effortless and seamless, making him really scary to space against. He also has pretty intimate knowledge of setting up 50/50s into death and edgeguarding.

Neither of these players lets me airdodge carelessly. It's like, they put you in a position where you REALLY want to airdodge, but you're dead if you do.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I am more intimidated after that lol, it's just I want to prove myself a lot and playing how I normally do can backfire hard vs. someone who can capitalize on my vulnerabilities. If I could refine how I play I'd be more confident, I miss strings and sometimes fast fall too far, plus the things that are just plain out risky I do. Pon sounds like someone I could take from, that is a lot how I try to play hut less emphasis on reads which is probably not too good. I could see his tech skill, it was really amazing and I wish I had the patience to pull otf combos like the one he did to me round 1.

SE Acid is the only Falcon I've played who knew what they were doing aside from a few fg ones although nobody on Acid's level. He likely beat me around 100 times to ky 10, not an exaggeration either, although after all this time I can finally hold my own and the games could go either way. Acid is the most aggressive player I've ever fought, he just shuts you down with a constant assault. He's one of my favorites to play though, even when getting bodied.

I felt kinda like that fighting Verm, I didn't feel safe unless I was as low as possible to avoid nairs and just the threat of the other aerials and his reads made me not want to air dodge.

Hey, you got any advice? I feel like I have a very strong ledge game and good stringing but am lacking in other key areas, plus the inconsistency issue.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The best thing about Smash Wii U/3DS online, is that lag is no longer an issue like it was in Brawl. So long as both players have a good connection, gameplay is actually pretty smooth from my experience. There have been lag moments when I play randoms though, but those are pretty uncommon.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The best thing about Smash Wii U/3DS online, is that lag is no longer an issue like it was in Brawl. So long as both players have a good connection, gameplay is actually pretty smooth from my experience. There have been lag moments when I play randoms though, but those are pretty uncommon.
Playing against @ adom4 adom4 for anyone in North America is almost guaranteed to be laggy given he effectively lives on the opposite side of the planet.

Generally though yeah. Online for this game is pretty good. I mean my games against adom, while I notice the lag, I've often had worse playing even locally in Brawl. My games against the Japanese also tend to be pretty good, which may be helped that I live in California, which is a 17 hour time zone difference, thus a lot closer to Japan than some other international zones.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Hey thanks for the twitters, gonna fight Pon tomorrow,

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I can be ready for a game soon, if anyone wants to play with me. I need all the practice I can get with my Rosalina, and frankly want to rid myself of this rustiness. I just need to take a quick shower.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
7:30pm to 5am? 7:30 may work

Also anyone heading to the next KTAR? I may have a chance to.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
From the Matchup thread, I brought it here so we don't get sidetracked:

Ganon is not as hampered by projectiles as you seem to think. Online, yeah, but not normally. Powershielding will get you a long way, along with the occasional smart roll or spot dodge. A lot of players will switch to a projectile spammer when they get scared of Ganon's kill power, and visibly have no idea what to do if you're competent with your shields. Plus nothing freaks the kids on For Glory out more than when you start marching their way and powershielding every projectile they toss at you like you're doing your best impression of Street Fighter 3's Parry system (just dropping SF references left and right in this post...)....
This is so true it's actually hilarious. You know they're on tilt when they start throwing out YOLO F-smashes and Up-smashes. I prefer the path of least resistance, though, and rather than powershield, I just double jump to fair. Surprisingly effective against the kind of players who are likely to counterpick Link or Samus. I do powershield approaches when they realize they can cover the air with projectiles too, but so far, only one person has, which is even more hilarious.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jeeesus Gungnir is crazy good, but everyone here knew that.

He schooled me pretty convincingly, and I'm pretty sure he beat me in all the games except a few where he SDed or something. His spacing and reactions are world class as far as I'm concerned. He actually deliberately uses footstool jumps on stage to space his aerials and mix up his landing, making him really tough to grab in neutral. He's also terrifyingly good at identifying playstyles and adjusting.

I didn't go down without a good fight though. I usually was pretty good about not getting gimped against him, but he made my life on the edge scary as hell between ledge trump threats and his grab game. And while my usual edgeguarding skills were useful...he probably killed me more times for trying to gimp him than I did successfully catch him offstage. Like seriously...on my last stock, he literally would save his jump not even to try recovering, but just to counter gimp me. Like...I'm just honestly surprised he even knows that is an option.

I remember him saying before that his experience playing Ganon a lot lets him predict his opponent's next move. Judging from how he plays...I definitely see where he's coming from.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Jeeesus Gungnir is crazy good, but everyone here knew that.

He schooled me pretty convincingly, and I'm pretty sure he beat me in all the games except a few where he SDed or something. His spacing and reactions are world class as far as I'm concerned. He actually deliberately uses footstool jumps on stage to space his aerials and mix up his landing, making him really tough to grab in neutral. He's also terrifyingly good at identifying playstyles and adjusting.

I didn't go down without a good fight though. I usually was pretty good about not getting gimped against him, but he made my life on the edge scary as hell between ledge trump threats and his grab game. And while my usual edgeguarding skills were useful...he probably killed me more times for trying to gimp him than I did successfully catch him offstage. Like seriously...on my last stock, he literally would save his jump not even to try recovering, but just to counter gimp me. Like...I'm just honestly surprised he even knows that is an option.

I remember him saying before that his experience playing Ganon a lot lets him predict his opponent's next move. Judging from how he plays...I definitely see where he's coming from.
I feel like Ganondorf is likewise the perfect character for someone who can make psychic reads like that. Even in his bad matchups, there's always the asterisk, "but Ganon can kill you real easy if he gets one good read..."

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Playing against @ adom4 adom4 for anyone in North America is almost guaranteed to be laggy given he effectively lives on the opposite side of the planet.

Generally though yeah. Online for this game is pretty good. I mean my games against adom, while I notice the lag, I've often had worse playing even locally in Brawl. My games against the Japanese also tend to be pretty good, which may be helped that I live in California, which is a 17 hour time zone difference, thus a lot closer to Japan than some other international zones.
I just recieved my LAN adapter, hopefully it'll make things a bit more tolerable :ganondorf:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wait. So Ganon fares bad to Sonic?
I think the matchup is really stressful because he's hard to edgeguard, and can edgeguard Ganon fairly easily unless you recover perfect or run customs. This is on top of Sonic just being lame to play against in neutral when you don't have a projectile to slow him down.

I mean...it's doable when Flame Choke reads and Ganon's usual juggles are something that he has to respect. Just the spacing you need to catch him can be obscene if he plays really safely.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Wait. So Ganon fares bad to Sonic?
Heard this said before, and it's true: Sonic defeats players, not characters. If you have good reaction times, you can nail him with Smash attacks. If you don't, he will run circles around you no matter what character you picked.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
have pretty good reaction time but still have most difficulty with Sonic. I think it is due to how I play though compared to other Ganondorfs.

Top Bottom