• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Skrah

Smash Ace
I'm no Sonic fan, but I'd thought that you'd want an opinion from a guy who's played at least 3 sonic games and isn't part of the fanbase, I think?

To me, Guns and Sonic don't mix. Bad move by Sega. Same thing for Werewolves. I played some daytime phases and some nighttime phases and honestly I hated the nightime, just because it kept me from playing daytime.

SA2 was the first sonic game I played, followed by DX, then a retro one I can't remember. And seriously, SA2 was the ****. I didn't bother that there were a million glitches and bugs, because the game was so fun. I liked practically all the "modes", except for the searching.

And about Sega not having enough money.. I don't think that's an excuse. They just made a beautiful SRPG (Valkyria Chronicles), so why can't they make a really good Sonic game? Most of the 3D games are okay, but we need to see a Sonic game that really shines.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Cream haters... suck it.

Cream, herself, as a character.... sucks... but Cream with Cheese, rocks.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic got stale lolwut?

I liked all the games I had that were about Sonic, indeed.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
He was, I mean think of some of the games that were out before SA1.

Sonic Spinball
Sonic Drift
Sonic Labrynth
Tails Sky Patrol
Sonic Blast
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Jam (just a re release of sonic 1-3 plus sonic and knuckles)
Sonic R

That's not even all of them

Trust me, they had to have been struggling for new ideas.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I don't think sonic can recover.
Aren't we all about pessimism now, Mr. Burrito (Look at your name and take out the M)?

On a side note. E-102 Gamma is also a favorite Sonic character of mine. Mainly cause he is the only official robot Sonic Character with a tragic story. I even have his theme song on Itunes.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
To me, there were 3 points in the history of Sonic's games.

The 2-D era :
Genesis awsomeness

The Adventure era:

Sonic Adventure1 my jaw fell to the floor when I first played it. Go play the Windy valley zone again and then then watch him go straight down a skyscraper in the city level. win.

Shadow was an awsome character and at the time, completly changed everything in the Sonic world. It got a noticeable bit darker after this point at least for the duration of SA2. And added some grit and maturity to Sonic games from that point on.
Rouge fits right in with the cast imo.

This came out on dreamcast first btw. I have both versionsXD But back when the game was still newer people loved Shadow as a character. It wasn't until his controversial return in SH and then his own very very lame idea of a game that changed how people thought of him.

Sonic Heroes: teams was kinda neat. Metal Sonic makes his return. Shadow's line before he fights Sonic. win.

Finally
The 4kids/New Sonic
At this point Sega had moved to 3rd party and with Sonic X making a debut on fox box they decide to use that cast for the games too. Even though they all fail epicly at acting.

All right, I can cringe at the character's new voices as long as I can get to what's most important and have fun: the game play. But some how at the exact same time, Sonic games started to really go down hill.

Starting with Shadow's game where the Ultimate Life form was made to use vehicles even though he's almost or as fast as the Blue Blur himself. And guns.....wut Guns?! seriously....why? He can shoot energy blasts out of his hands! What happend to that superior than thou attitude from SH and SA2?! He's above using such "primitive objects."

And then Sonic 06, that was just a programming disaster. It was like all the glitches that might happen in SA and SA2,but alll the time instead of once in a while. I don't own that game. I just played it for awhile at walmart and got a through a few levels. Shadow using vehicles again. And why is he with GUN again? Don't they want him locked down due to the ARK incident 50 years ago? Or do they not care now?

Sonic Riders was a really good game,though Sonic looked like a total wuss in it. The SA2 Sonic wouldn't have put up with being talkeded crap to like that by that stupid bird lol (I blame Griffeth for this) They could have just skipped the whole story and kept it mario kart simple as far as that goes.

Unlike Mbreeto, I see the point of Sonic's decline as the inclusion of Jason Griffeth and the 4chankids cast and the removal of Ryan Drummond and the SA cast.

Can't talk unleashed and rings because I'm out of time lol

Rings was ok,but was limited because of the wii hardware(controls) Unleashed Day>night Sega did it pretty close to right in that game.

All the handheld games are great aside from Genesis which is a port gone all wrong. I have every one aside from rivals which I play at my friend's against him when I see him.(he haz 2 psps lol)

But between SH and about Shadow's game/06 Not only the games but Sonic as a character is different. Sonic has lost alot of the "attitude" that he had from previous games. His personality seems to be that of a different character with Jason griffeth then Ryan Drummond. Might just be the insane fanboi in me not liking the voice of my hero changing thoughXD but I think he really changed in character after Heroes. =/

(I typed this quickly, forgive my grammar XD)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
So of all those games you named off, which one of those game where successful in terms of turning over a profit?

Which ones stick out more in your mind?

Ones that stick out in my mind are generally ones that were the most innovated and unique of the Sonic series.

I think that Shadow the Hedgehog's game was really not like the Sonic series. It just doesnt make alot of sense to see someone from Sonic carrying a weapon like that.

I think, for Sega, the heart of their problem is getting a good solid story. If they want to fix the franchise, they need to go back to square one and make up a back story for Sonic, thats compelling. Where did Sonic come from? Where did Tails come from? Why is Dr. Eggman/Robotnik the way they are?

MBreeto

Smash Ace
So of all those games you named off, which one of those game where successful in terms of turning over a profit?

Ones that stick out in my mind are generally ones that were the most innovated and unique of the Sonic series.
It doesn't matter if they made profit, they were still made. It's like mario making all of those third party games, but his were more successful. I'm just saying that buy the time of the newer console generation, Sonic was looking for a fresh start, and it got it, at the expense of the series

Lupito

Smash Rookie
IDK about Sonic. In m opinion, Sega are trying to make his story all serious. I honostly sonic is ok, but as far as the games, i prefer the old classic sonic than the one now. I mean I'll give the new games of him a try. But it can't beat the classics. I mean Shadow The Hegdehog sucked. Never did like it. But some of the sonic games are like just too confusing to me. Like I said, i prefer the old games.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC

I think that Shadow the Hedgehog's game was really not like the Sonic series. It just doesnt make alot of sense to see someone from Sonic carrying a weapon like that.

I think, for Sega, the heart of their problem is getting a good solid story. If they want to fix the franchise, they need to go back to square one and make up a back story for Sonic, thats compelling. Where did Sonic come from? Where did Tails come from? Why is Dr. Eggman/Robotnik the way they are?
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 sold the most of all Sonic games... a whooping 6 million. If Sega wants to make money, they should make more Sonic 2. And seriously, other than the Sonic Adventure games, when it comes to Sonic, the less descriptive the storyline, the better the game. At least that's what I think.

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
By the way...

E-102 Gamma > E-123 Omega

Mmmhm.

There are 30+ Sonic characters currently. I do agree that some of them need to go..but a lot of them have brought creative things to the series.

EDIT: You actually sigged that, MarKO X? I love that quote as well.
EDIT 2: I'm stupid...it's E123 Omega, not 102

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
[color="#1f1f1"]Sonic,Tails,Knuckles,Eggman,Amy,Metal Sonic, Scratch,Grounder,Sally Acorn, Boomer, Antoine De Colette, Charmy, Vector, Espio, Knack/Fang , Tikal, Pacaccamach, Shade, evil emperor Echidna guy I forget the name of, Rouge, Shadow, E-102 Gamma, E-123 Omega, Big and Froggy, Silver, Blaze, Chaos, Maria, Gerald Robotnik, Black Doom, Mr President, blue and yellow eyed GUN general from Shadow the hedgehog I forgot the name of, Iblis, Mephilies, Elise, Cream and Cheese, The three bird people from Riders. All Sonic characters that have been in the games I can think of off the top of my head lol.
[/color]
Shawnik militia FTW[color="#1f1f1"] Except for Big,who's literally retarted[/color]

:093:

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Only 30?

I could've sworn Sonic & Pals could make their own army.
LOL!

Let's see if I can get them together...
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Dr. Eggman / Robotnik
Amy
Metal Sonic (and all other versions such as Silver or Mecha Sonic...)
Metal Knuckles
Tails Doll
Shadow
Ray the Flying Squirrel
Mighty the Armadillo
Vector
Charmy
Espio
Tikal
E-102 Gamma
E-123 Omega
Eggman Nega
Cream
Big
Silver
Blaze
Marin
Cheese
Chaos
Tikal
Rouge
Shade
Elise
Chip
Jet
Wave
Storm
Emerl
Gemerl
Nack/Fang
Black Doom
GUN Commander
Mephiles
Maria
Gerald Robotnik

And I'm not even counting the "villain of the day"-monsters :psycho:

Edit: Super Sonic beat me to it, but he included characters from the comics, so I dunno...

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I think, though, I am one of the very few people who want Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper back... remember that guy? Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic the Fighters. Darn. He would be so bad*ss.
Mighty the Armadillo was so much cooler :p.

What about the likes of ZERO and E-101 BETA, did you forget about them, or are they just not useful/ important enough? XD

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Blasphemy! Nack was not just a sprite-swap of Sonic.:p
The only things Nack had going for him were his guns and his hat.
Mighty had the fact he was an armadillo, a member of Chaotix, and an armadillo XD.

And don't get me started on Bean and Bark- I don't understand why they are so classic that people want them back.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
The only things Nack had going for him were his guns and his hat.
Mighty had the fact he was an armadillo, a member of Chaotix, and an armadillo XD.

And don't get me started on Bean and Bark- I don't understand why they are so classic that people want them back.
Nack:

- A weasel-wolf hybrid. Two of the coolest animals ever fused into one.
- As stated before, not a sprite-swap of Sonic
- One of the few villians who stayed a villian at the end of his game instead of becoming friends with Sonic
- Had a pretty nifty and original character design. The hat, the fang, he only had four fingers due to the freaking Yakuza...
- A decently dark personality for a Sonic game in a time before Shadow. Nack was a greedy, womanizing a-hole and I loved him for it.

Bean and Bark, though, I agree that I don't really see why they're so awesome. I wouldn't mind a cameo appearance, but someone else will have to list out their merits.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I can see Shadow the Hedgehog being one of the down points of the game series, and from then, there hasn't been much of an improvement. I enjoyed Sonic's parts of the 06 game, and I like Silver, but yeah, Shadow is much cooler than they are making him. -.-

However, the speedy parts of Sonic Unleashed were done very well. They just need to get back to basics. People aren't going to mind if Knuckles and Tails and all those weirdly named random animals don't move as fast as Sonic (they can still have their other abilities to access short-cuts to try to keep up with the Hedgehog), but raising acrross the planet while smashing robots, in trial and error situations, with speed that actually sucks you into the game is the way Sonic was ment to be, and except for the fighting scenes (which I actually semi-enjoyed), Unleashed is a step back in the right dirrection for the Blue Blur.

Btw, if they gave Sonic the strength, speed, and even a fraction of the abilities he has had in other games, he'd be the most broken character in the entire SSB universe. And despite everyone knocking him, I think Tails should be with Sonic. It's weird to see Sonic without Tails. He just needs a better voice actor. Tails and Knuckles should both be in the next SSB, with a truer Sonic. Hopefully they will generate enough results if a good Sonic game gets released again, one that uses the speed of Unleashed well. Hopefully, the Medevil-Sonic-Spinoff Story isn't going to suck, or Sonic might have to run back to Mobius and never return....

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Unleashed is a step back in the right dirrection for the Blue Blur.
It's not a step back, Unleashed's 2D sections are nothing like the classic games,and I doubt you were referring to the 3D/ Werehog sections.

Unleashed is just a step in the right direction

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 sold the most of all Sonic games... a whooping 6 million. If Sega wants to make money, they should make more Sonic 2. And seriously, other than the Sonic Adventure games, when it comes to Sonic, the less descriptive the storyline, the better the game. At least that's what I think.
That formulaic ideology of lesser story = better game, doesnt fly anymore...

Its about what the consumer, you, want. Ok, realistically on a much grander scale, it what the vast majority of the fans of Sonic want.

While i can appericate the idea of more Sonic the Hedgehog 2, people would just be bored and offended by the idea of something recycled or "rehashed" into a newer and more different game. People, espeically me, do not like rehashed ideas.

But

You know what would fly? If they launched all of those titles again for the Nintendo DS -- in their original/barely modified form. Its an extremely popular thing developers are doing now days. Kirby Super Star Ultra is an updated version to the SNES Kirby Super Star a very well known and GOOD game. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4, all brought back to life on the Nintendo DS. These games are selling even in this bad economic times. They sell because people want the same game, some updates to it, on a different system.

It doesn't matter if they made profit, they were still made. It's like mario making all of those third party games, but his were more successful. I'm just saying that buy the time of the newer console generation, Sonic was looking for a fresh start, and it got it, at the expense of the series
That hurts to read that..quite abit...all that time and effort a studio put into it. Sega is just making some bad judgment calls for where they should go...

Let me ask you this;

Can you blame them?

MBreeto

Smash Ace
That hurts to read that..quite abit...all that time and effort a studio put into it. Sega is just making some bad judgment calls for where they should go...

Let me ask you this;

Can you blame them?
Of course not. I can't blame them because if i were in their position, I wouldn't give a **** about the fans and just go for the money.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I just read the article on Kotaku in which one of Sonic Unleashed creator's says that the Werehog will be back.

Get out the party hats people, we are going to have some fun.

[/tumbleweed]

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Tenki should be the head of Sonic Team, I mean, he DID invent Brawl Sonic.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I just read the article on Kotaku in which one of Sonic Unleashed creator's says that the Werehog will be back.

Get out the party hats people, we are going to have some fun.

[/tumbleweed]
*drops head*
Seriously? Like, they really think the Werehog is a good idea and are going to bring it back? WTF :urg:

Geist

Smash Master
The weredog was a terrible idea on par with Sonic's growing collection of friends and his bestiality with multiple human females. And sonic with a sword.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
*drops head*
Seriously? Like, they really think the Werehog is a good idea and are going to bring it back? WTF :urg:
The article makes it seem as if people wanted it back.

I wouldn't care if Sega killed the Sonic franchise now- every game in recent memory has about 40% gameplay as Sonic, and the remaining 60% as other characters. Sega seem to be opposed to you playing as Sonic.

I know that you played as other characters in the original games, but they were optional, and played through the exact same levels as Sonic, save a few.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Tenki should be the head of Sonic Team, I mean, he DID invent Brawl Sonic.
He's also out to teach people how to destroy what he created. :3

Tenki for prez!

Also I will be a sad panda if I have to go through more 10 minute nighttime levels with a werehog.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Sega Master System?

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's not a step back, Unleashed's 2D sections are nothing like the classic games,and I doubt you were referring to the 3D/ Werehog sections.

Unleashed is just a step in the right direction
That depends.

The wii version played more like the handheld (and it makes sense, since their levels were designed by the same group that made the handheld versions), while the 360/PS3 levels were designed by Sonic Team.

I consider the Wii and 360 versions totally different games.

There's actual platforming in the 360 version.

also, for the lulz:
yeah, I'm gonna make a Sonic game one day.

One step in the right direction.

jk.

Though, if anyone's played Sonic megamix, it honestly feels better than some of the games they've churned out recently.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I would buy that game 3 days after release day- it looks that good :laugh:.

I've never played the XBOX 360 or PS3 versions of it, but from what I've seen of it it looks similar to Sonic Adventure. Sonic games need to be less linear.

Top Bottom