• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nevermind the fact that K Hedgehog bumped an old topic
Not lets not never mind that. Actually lets expound upon this. Ever notice how many times a super old and dead thread gets bumped by a "n00b" ? I use quotes cause I suspect these so-called new users are actually duplicate accounts of seasoned users, perhaps even participants in the original discussion, wanting to bring it back up.

Hey, Zen called shenanigans, and I've not forgotten nor have I resolved what it was he could have been referring to, but -I- have been suspecting this sort of activity for quite some time. Anytime I see a poster with less than 10 posts come into a heated argument, for instance, addressing folks or the issue as if they even know them, or have a true stake in it, and then leave, never to post again. Ever. Yeah, fishy to say the least.

Admins have a way to track duplicate users, I assume. The global rules clearly frowns upon it.

Eh, prolly just me being my normal paranoid self. Carry on, SWF.

finalark

SNORLAX
^Sound's like someone's been playing Detective.

Seriously, talk about bumping a thread. You could have just made a new thread or posted in the light house if you wanted to talk about it.

K Hedgehog

Smash Rookie
I made that post because I just wanted the fanboy's too know that the voice actors don't matter in video games. Also, Sucumbio I've never read this thread before & I'm not an alternate account to anybody. Finally, It doesn't matter that I revived this thread.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
All I can say about the voice acting part is, WHO ****ING CARES!? Voice acting is not what makes a game, it's the gameplay. If voice acting is what judged a game, then games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shenmue, & most arcade games would've been sentenced to death. If Drummond was the one who voice acted in Sonic 06 It would've still sucked because the gameplay was horrible. Also, in my opinion, both Ryan Drummond & Jason Griffith aren't that good in the first place. Graphics & voice-acting aren't what makes a video game, it's the gameplay & only gameplay so everyone please stop *****ing about the voice actors.
I didn't really talk about the glitches, frame rate issues, clipping, and overall lack of polish because it was already mentioned by other members.

If I'm forced to sit through a cutscene, either because I can't skip it or it's relevent to getting through the game it doesn't have to make my ears bleed also I personally like stories in games if they have them and having it told so badly (imo) irkes me .__.;

Drummond may not have been the best VO ever. But he matches my mental image of Sonic's and his personality way better than Griffeth ever has. I'd gladly take Jaleel White though if Sonic really does get a retro make over in Needlemouse if they could somehow get him on board. lol

Oh..and wow this thread is old..and yes it does matter I believe necro posting or whatver it's called is looked down upon by the Global Rules

EDIT: For some reason...I feel like I've said this exact same thing before already <.<;

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Sonic Unleashed, to me, is the best sonic game since SA2. It had much potential. Too bad the game gets criticized a lot....

Heartstring

Smash Legend
all they needed to do was remove the insane amount of errors in the programming, i didn't appreciate the holes in the floors which randomly appears and a)gets you stuck till you turn it off or b)makes you die.
remove that, and they got a good game

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Very nice read, glad it was bumped up. I agree with pretty much... well, all of it.

Instead of offering my insight into the whole topic at hand, I figure I'll go through all of the Sonic games and sort of give them an ultra-mini review, as I know my view on them tend to be a lot different than most. All ratings out of 5. I'm not including the Master System games because I don't feel like it.

Sonic - 4.0 - The second Sonic game I've played. Awkward going back to not having a spindash, and the action being a tad slow - but this set the precedence for everything. Everything was just done so right for Sega's first attempt.

Sonic 2 - 4.5 - Sequels should expand, and that is exactly what this did. New character, new technique, better graphics, everything. This was also the first Sonic game I've played.

Sonic 3 - 3.5 - The level design was definitely better, but it didn't cater to speed quite as well. The ending was a little lackluster, and the whole package just didn't feel as good as Sonic 2.

Sonic and Knuckles - 4.0 - The best new character ever, fresh level design but keeping graphics nice and bright like Sonic 2. Expands a lot on the story yet not overcomplicating this simple platform with it.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles - 5.0 - It's just a lock-on, but it deserves it's own spot. The best hands down imo. It takes everything perfect from S3 and S3&K, and makes it even better. That lackluster ending from S3? lol that was only have of the adventure! Full save system, three different characters (first time Tails had his own kind of path going on really) with unique lines of play, and more.

Sonic 3D Blast - 3.5 - Very fun game with a new concept. The Saturn version is vastly better than the Genesis one.

Sonic Adv - 4.0 - Quality title making the jump to 3D. Going back and playing it later, it keeps a lot of elements from the 2D games and is the one 3D title that feels the closest to them. The Adventure field is nice, but gets kind of stale. Quality new characters.

Sonic Adv 2 - 4.5 - The best 3D Sonic title. Good that the field was taken out. Idk, everything about this game is so good, it's one of the best Sonic titles imo.

Sonic Heroes - 3.5 - There was a significant drop from Adv 2 to this, but this title still introduced a very cool mechanic that like no other game had ever done before. The ending was awesome. Started the unfortunate trend of levels being WAY too long.

Sonic and the Secret Rings - 3.0 - The game really just doesn't control that well which takes away a lot and docks some pointage, but besides that it's a quality game. It's very fun and the ending with Darkspine Sonic is one of my favorite endings yet.

Sonic The Hedgehog - 2.5 - People claim it's the worst Sonic game, but I disagree. There is still some fun to be found in this title. It's the worst of it's time, but come on - it's not that awful. The side missions are absolutely atrocious, but they can be avoided. Blaze on Emerald Coast (or whatever the beach level is) is legitimately fun. The levels in this game are beyond long, to where it's painful.

Sonic and the Black Knight - _ - I haven't played enough of this game yet to rate it. It's fun, but incredibly shallow. Doesn't feel like a serious game.

Sonic Unleashed - 1.5 - This is imo the worst title yet. I have only played the Wii version, so my score is based on that. It's seriously really bad. The day levels are practically uncontrolable, nothing makes sense, enemies are pointless, etc. It's practically holding right and pressing a button when the icon comes on screen. The same title could be made for the NES with a black screen where you have to hold right and press a button when it's shown on screen. The night levels are not a Sonic game.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Epic Post.
I agree with Chibo. He doesnt hate Sonic 06 and doesnt afraid of anything. Sonic 06 did have its fair share of glitches, and the storyline was ok just want to toss out, making Sonic die? Really? :( I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Sonic Unleashed for the Wii? Uh, I had the PS3 version, so thats prolly why i disagree with his 1.5 for Sonic Unleashed. The night stages were fun. :mad: *hides

btw, the future of Sonic the Hedgehog has already been announced. heh, im getting it without hesitation and no questions asked.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
When I first played the night stages, I actually didn't think they were that bad. Then the stage went on forever and ever. And then more road blocks happened where you have to beat enemies to continue. And then the next night level started, and it was the same thing ALL OVER AGAIN.

At least it's playable though. I really wanna get my hands on a PS360 version since I heard it's a lot better.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I have no idea why so many people can't figure out how to get through the barrels. I never had one. Sure, it took me like one or two minutes to figure it out. You can't move it by going left or right, you can't move it by jumping... So... I try down and then up. It works. Magic. o_o
**** you, I was only like, four, five or six, and wanted to stop the red fat man.

=====

It was a nice blog though. I'm far to lazy to actually write up my full opinion.
Though I'm tired of all the anti-Sonic fans and what not.

And I love all of the characters they've added over the years. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have Blaze.
Plus, so many characters means more jokes to laugh at.

Sonic Shorts is probably one of the funniest flash series I've seen. Hearing Mighty mutter, "**** Sega" at a bar, drunk, with Ray and Bean was hilarious.

@Chibo:

SU on the Wii was meh, but playable. PS3/360 versions are GOD in comparison.

And you liked Secret Rings too? Glad I wasn't the only one. Darkspine literally punching him out was really awesome to look at.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I dont honestly see why the OP or anyone else is just now figuring this out. Why do you honestly think smash was created for? Its a way to get the money and milk the series. Theres a fine line between milking for the sake making money and having bad games always made for it.

No More Heroes Series comes to mind as one of those games thats deserve hype. Clover also makes good games[they work for Capcom fyi] aka Okami, Veiwtful Joe. You really arent going to find any more amazing games for the Wii and i believe someone on AiB made a wonderful blog about the motion sensor technology is what are making developers scared to risk making anything on the wii.

Although I must tip my hat to people at Valve and the smaller studios they own for making wonderful games like; Left 4 Dead, Half-Life 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. All of which were fantastic games. Theres also the Bioware people that just released Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2. Both which are very good games.

So if your looking for a good game at the moment. It really isnt going to be on the Wii. In the aforementioned games above are all PC games. But it shouldnt matter what it plays on, as long as the game is entertaining and is professionally sound.

As for sonic well....the first gen Sonic team is long gone. So, i dont have much hope for him left. 2-D sonic is a step in the right direction. But it'll take a group of people that actually love and adore sonic to be able to take his games from ****ty to amazing

And lol, thats just not likely if the director and higher ups honestly think their games for sonic are good. [NO THEY ARENT]
---------------------------------------------

@chibo; no way man. Sonic 2006 was a horrible game
Code:
Loading Times
Video	Loading	Length	%Load
01	02:44	17:18	15.80
02	04:28	25:33	17.48
03	03:14	23:21	13.85
04	04:27	27:15	16.33
05	04:34	18:37	24.53
06	05:33	36:08	15.36
07	02:20	21:32	10.84
08	01:28	28:33	05.14
09	02:06	19:20	10.86
10	08:18	41:45	19.88
11	03:48	26:52	14.14
12	01:51	17:46	10.41
13	02:08	14:41	14.53
14	09:36	30:17	31.70
15	04:47	42:24	11.28
16	05:19	36:10	14.70
17	00:52	23:40	03.66
18	02:36	30:14	08.60
19	02:31	32:29	07.75
20	02:41	21:02	12.76
21	01:10	19:24	06.01
22	01:50	18:55	09.69
23	01:58	22:02	08.93
24	05:18	35:16	15.03
25	01:05	25:11	04.30
26	02:55	22:55	12.73
27	02:18	29:21	07.84
28	00:54	13:01	06.91
29	02:15	21:00	10.71
30	01:08	33:49	03.35
31	02:21	16:28	14.27
32	03:13	23:46	13.53
33	00:35	13:40	04.27
34	01:31	30:59	04.90
35	02:59	28:53	10.33
36	02:33	28:45	08.87
37	01:26	27:48	05.16
38	06:42	23:51	28.09
39	00:53	29:19	03.01
40	00:52	22:47	03.80
41	02:12	26:27	08.32
42	01:51	19:23	09.54
43	06:43	33:41	19.94
44	04:30	29:19	15.35
45	05:28	33:02	16.55
46	03:31	24:36	14.30
47	00:59	27:57	03.52
Total	2:24:31	20:16:32	11.88
source; http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Sonic2006/

The controls, game physics, and the story was horrible on abysmal levels and loads times that'd make you think your game froze as if to say your an idiot for playing this game

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I know what the load times are like. I made the video on load times! (not kidding, on my old YouTube account b4 it was deleted I had a vid displaying how awful the load times were at one part in the game for one of the side quests where it was like 95% load and 5% play. It even got the front page on digg and what not.). That's why I mentioned how the side quests were awful in my part on it, but also mentioned how they were thankfully avoidable. The load times for the rest of the required game still sucks but is at least bearable. Load times alone don't make it the worst game yet. If a game loads instantly but is absolutely awful, it would be much worse.

fun level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmMt9_s-RKA

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
wtf you actually recorded all the load points in the game? lol

I doubt it with all the physics issues and control issues it had...ugh...im glad i watched that LP instead of playing it. Those poor kids were going mad towards the end of that game...

Its like playing a bad Metal Gear game.

Oh wait sorry we have MGS4 for that

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I need a ps3 so I can play some of these games I missed...like the better unleashed.. .___.;

Unleashed wii daytime wasn't quite that bad. It was like a 3-D Sonic Rush. I don't like the fact you Can't walk or slow down even if you want to in the daytime. Really just the control in general are too sloppy and unprecise.

The speed you get used to. I did anyway. Making it into couple seconds bursts instead of as long as you have meter really irked me though, and the fact that sometimes you didn't actually go any faster, it just put in the fish eye thing and blur effects, so you just lost meter and didn't actualy gain anything.

I like the side step and drift mechanic but why can't the rest of his movements be the same as in Sonic Adventure or Heroes?. That eggman land I'm telling ya..it was made to be played with SA controls. It took me forever to time where I was supposed to be placed in each segment..if only because of how "dull" the controls were..

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well because people are whining about the new trailer for stupid, cosmetic reasons (Ex: Sonic's eyes are still green) I can safely say that the fans are the reason for Sonic's mediocrity as much as SEGA is.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Money is all that matters to all game companies.

Besides, there is a big enough new generation of the Adventure fans for Sega not to need to make a classic style game. The thing is, what makes classic Sonics so amazing is nostalgia. I bought all the 3D ones on VC, and I loved all the memories it brought back when I went through the Green Hill Zone.

To be honest, if a new Sonic came out that was practically identical to the old ones, I'd probably say "Meh, nothing special." I think it would need to contain that "feeling", that Nintendo is so good at keeping when their games have made transitions.

I think you know what I mean by keeping the feeling in the transition.

e.g. Metroid > MP

2D Zelda > OoT

etc.
funny you should say that because they are making a sonic game just like the originals. :laugh:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, once again, i can safely say that the newer games wouldn't be so bad if it wasnt for certain things. for example, in sonic '06 the loading times were GIANT, i mean, you would have abotu half a mniute loading time for 2 sentences of 'speech' then another half minute loading, also the adition of a damsel in distress is a bad idea for this, elise=horrible, whiny furry. it works for mario games, but as with everything, they jsut do it...right, no-ones knows how though...well, i dont anyway.
the werehog gimmick? it could have been a good idea, but it looks far too shallow.
waht they need to do is to do what makes their old games so good...nostalgia. where is the good metal sonic? (yes i know hes in mario and sonic and the winter olympic games) what about mighty? slight redesign to make him look a little less like sonic, and suddenly people are gonna buy it cause 'ZOMG you gots mighty teh armadillo in there !!!one'
my personal opinion anyway

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
what about mighty?
As much as I really like Mighty I don't think there's really any point of him coming back, seeing as he was only in two games years ago, and the games weren't really that popular at the time, due to one being an arcade game, and one being for the Sega CD lol.

But I don't get why everyone wants Bean, Bark, and Mighty to appear in a game to make it instantly better. The only things that are letting Sonic games down, except for glitches, are the levels that don't involve running, and the fact that they seem to be fixated on making them pointlessly fast.

Top Bottom