• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I'm just meganium up at this point.
Well that conglooms that conversation... I mean wat.

So about that sceptile...

Ummm...

I don't know how good of a chance he has of making it into the final roster of Smash Bros at this point, but if they ever work on new characters for DLC, he'd probably be one of the more likely ones. I mean, why would they give Greninja water katanas if they knew it directly screws over a unique niche that we know this pokemon ACTUALLY has as a signature?

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Well that conglooms that conversation... I mean wat.

So about that sceptile...

Ummm...

I don't know how good of a chance he has of making it into the final roster of Smash Bros at this point, but if they ever work on new characters for DLC, he'd probably be one of the more likely ones. I mean, why would they give Greninja water katanas if they knew it directly screws over a unique niche that we know this pokemon ACTUALLY has as a signature?
I dony thinks the katanas affect much. I would assume sceptile would use the leaves growing out of his arms rather than holding physical blades. Dual Blading Samurai Velociraptor seems different enough from Ninja Frog. The katanas give Greninja something visually to slash with considering he doesn't have claws but learns and uses attacks like Night Slash. Is it only his up smash that he has the katanas?

Very different physically and visually, just Water Katana and Leaf Blade sound similar.

Edit: i doubt we'll get dlc characters, I feel his chances are basically he's on the line of either last added or most considered not to make it

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I dony thinks the katanas affect much. I would assume sceptile would use the leaves growing out of his arms rather than holding physical blades. Dual Blading Samurai Velociraptor seems different enough from Ninja Frog. The katanas give Greninja something visually to slash with considering he doesn't have claws but learns and uses attacks like Night Slash. Is it only his up smash that he has the katanas?

Very different physically and visually, just Water Katana and Leaf Blade sound similar.

Edit: i doubt we'll get dlc characters, I feel his chances are basically he's on the line of either last added or most considered not to make it
So the distinction between holding it and having it on his arms makes it completely different? They're still basically just elemental variations of the same concept. Either way, at the very least I'm pretty sure Greninja uses it for one of his other smashes as well as one of his aerials. Could be wrong though.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
So the distinction between holding it and having it on his arms makes it completely different? They're still basically just elemental variations of the same concept. Either way, at the very least I'm pretty sure Greninja uses it for one of his other smashes as well as one of his aerials. Could be wrong though.
I mean blades are blades I guess. Do Pit, Marth, Ike, Greninja, Link, Kirby, Meta Knight, Toon Link, Roy, and Snakes knife seem to similar? I think arm blades are a lot different than the rest. It's just a popular weapon. It is kind of unsettling for Sceptile's case that Greninja has katanas, but I think they'll look and behave entirely differently. And I still would see Mewtwo getting Psycho Cut as a projectile attack; the game has so many blades that a character that only punches is super unique haha

Edit: greninja uses one katana for a forward smash/tilt, one for a forward air, and two for his up smash. So he only dual blades for one move.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
When it comes to smash, we know who the Serperior choice is. Whips pls. Plus a fighter with no legs? Interesting.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
But actually 'Water Katanna' doesn't exist in pokemon while 'Leaf Blade' is real. And yeah, it'd work totally different.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
But actually 'Water Katanna' doesn't exist in pokemon while 'Leaf Blade' is real. And yeah, it'd work totally different.
I am aware of that, but that's why they shouldn't have given greninja water katanas at all if sceptile was going to be in the game!

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I am aware of that, but that's why they shouldn't have given greninja water katanas at all if sceptile was going to be in the game!
They could make it work very differently. The two characters and their attacks are very different visually too. Also, don't entirely put it out of the realm of possibility that Sceptile is a Greninja clone/semi-clone used to buff up the roster and promote the remakes. There is always a clone newcomer for that very reason, and we haven't seen one yet. In that case, the odd addition of the water katanas actually strengthens Sceptiles chances, as if they went out of their way to make Greninja functionally similar to Sceptile who they had planned but not necessarily enough time to fully build ground-up.

Edit: This might actually mean Greninja is a Sceptile clone, not the other way around

Last edited:

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this has been discussed as a counterpoint (btw I am heavily on the pro-Sceptile camp, just trying to be logical), but as much as I think Sakurai could've been approached around the start of their development, if SSB4 is only promoting X/Y then just two starters, Charizard & Greninja make sense. In X/Y you get a Kalos starter at the beginning (with the most popular being Froakie) and then after the first gym you get a Kanto starter (Charmander being the obviously most popular), so even though it would leave the type triangle unfinished, Charizard/Greninja by themselves makes perfect sense for X/Y promotion.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Don't know if this has been discussed as a counterpoint (btw I am heavily on the pro-Sceptile camp, just trying to be logical), but as much as I think Sakurai could've been approached around the start of their development, if SSB4 is only promoting X/Y then just two starters, Charizard & Greninja make sense. In X/Y you get a Kalos starter at the beginning (with the most popular being Froakie) and then after the first gym you get a Kanto starter (Charmander being the obviously most popular), so even though it would leave the type triangle unfinished, Charizard/Greninja by themselves makes perfect sense for X/Y promotion.
I does make perfect sense, and someone mentioned that Pikachu, Greninja, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff are ALL available in X/Y and all of them could promote X/Y; Pikachu is Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja as you said, Lucario being a large part of the story, Mewtwo being a postgame gem, Jigglypuff usering in Fairy type... It lines up perfectly, and to me that seems wasteful to focus all on X/Y especially when they won't even be the newest installments to the franchise by the time Smash Wii U is out. So yeah it makes perfect sense, but almost seems biased in a way.

SketchFox7

Smash Journeyman
I does make perfect sense, and someone mentioned that Pikachu, Greninja, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff are ALL available in X/Y and all of them could promote X/Y; Pikachu is Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja as you said, Lucario being a large part of the story, Mewtwo being a postgame gem, Jigglypuff usering in Fairy type... It lines up perfectly, and to me that seems wasteful to focus all on X/Y especially when they won't even be the newest installments to the franchise by the time Smash Wii U is out. So yeah it makes perfect sense, but almost seems biased in a way.
I agree, but really all amounts to GameFreak/Pokemon Company's want of OR/AS representation in SSB4, the games were just announced and while they have likely been in development for just as long a Smash, Sakurai probably didn't know about them himself. Now if GF/PC took the initiative to go to Sakurai and be like "Yo dude, Hoenn confirmed, Sceptile please?" then yes, otherwise to Sakurai X/Y is the most recent and would deserve the most representation in SSB4.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I agree, but really all amounts to GameFreak/Pokemon Company's want of OR/AS representation in SSB4, the games were just announced and while they have likely been in development for just as long a Smash, Sakurai probably didn't know about them himself. Now if GF/PC took the initiative to go to Sakurai and be like "Yo dude, Hoenn confirmed, Sceptile please?" then yes, otherwise to Sakurai X/Y is the most recent and would deserve the most representation in SSB4.
I'm assuming OR/AS were developed alongside or at least started during the developement of X/Y as they will likely be compatible with one another much like R/S/E and FR/LG and the generation that HG/SS were a part of. So it's a good possibilty Sakurai could have been aware of OR/AS when he was informed of X/Y. Which, unless it Greninja was a late addition, he's known for awhile. What will he do about it? Who knows.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming OR/AS were developed alongside or at least started during the developement of X/Y as they will likely be compatible with one another much like R/S/E and FR/LG and the generation that HG/SS were a part of. So it's a good possibilty Sakurai could have been aware of OR/AS when he was informed of X/Y. Which, unless it Greninja was a late addition, he's known for awhile. What will he do about it? Who knows.
Yeah the games are, without question, going to be built around the same engine/script. A huge chunk of the graphics and animation will simply be imported. All they really needed to do was add Hoenn specific buildings and trainers, the underwater scenery, a few megas (Latias and Latios already being present in X/Y's coding, no?) And a couple little things here and there like the contests. They only really had to make a quarter of a game all things considered. The plot and world layout and battles are already designed in RSE. This is basically self-evident by virtue of how little time there is between X/Y and OR/AS releases.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Yeah the games are, without question, going to be built around the same engine/script. A huge chunk of the graphics and animation will simply be imported. All they really needed to do was add Hoenn specific buildings and trainers, the underwater scenery, a few megas (Latias and Latios already being present in X/Y's coding, no?) And a couple little things here and there like the contests. They only really had to make a quarter of a game all things considered. The plot and world layout and battles are already designed in RSE. This is basically self-evident by virtue of how little time there is between X/Y and OR/AS releases.
In hindsight, the data for mega Lati@s and the lack of its use in X/Y pretty much has to have to do with OR/AS and confirms that connections were planned, just need to see if they wanted to use all of their promotional space in Smash on X/Y, a game that has been on the market for a substantial ammount of time, or give a little bit to their up coming titles that are set to launch right between the Smash 4 release dates. It seems dumb not to take advantage of it.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the list of supporters please! Treecko was my first Pokemon, so having Sceptile in this game would be amazing. I don't think it is particularly likely though, seeing as the best case in favor of Sceptile is having a Grass type to finish the trio, yet Greninja was probably one of, if not the last character added to the roster in full. The pattern wouldn't have appeared until late in development. Still, stranger things have happened.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
This makes sense and all, but I wish it could've been Swampert. I am very fond of him. Personally, I wish Ivysaur came back instead of Charizard. This would allow Blaziken to be the likely one. Sceptile is the lamest of the 3 IMO

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
This makes sense and all, but I wish it could've been Swampert. I am very fond of him. Personally, I wish Ivysaur came back instead of Charizard. This would allow Blaziken to be the likely one. Sceptile is the lamest of the 3 IMO
Blaziken, cool as it may be, is way too overrated in my book, not to mention it would take a lot of will power to not make him work like Captain Falcon. Swampert is my favorite, and Sceptile may be the lamest, the lamest of the coolest generation of starters. I like underdogs, and I want Grass starter choosing trainers to not be excluded.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Blaziken, cool as it may be, is way too overrated in my book, not to mention it would take a lot of will power to not make him work like Captain Falcon. Swampert is my favorite, and Sceptile may be the lamest, the lamest of the coolest generation of starters. I like underdogs, and I want Grass starter choosing trainers to not be excluded.
I don't really want the Grass starter to be excluded either. That's why I wanted Ivysaur, since Greninja takes up a spot.

All in all, I want Ivysaur, Greninja and Blaziken for the 3 "starters". Paired with Pikachu and Lucario, that's really all the Pokecharacters that I want.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I don't really want the Grass starter to be excluded either. That's why I wanted Ivysaur, since Greninja takes up a spot.

All in all, I want Ivysaur, Greninja and Blaziken for the 3 "starters". Paired with Pikachu and Lucario, that's really all the Pokecharacters that I want.
Fairly voiced opinion. I thought Ivy was the best of the 3. That being said, Sceptile seems like the fair choice for grass type given the game's current condition.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I havea theory: If Sceptile's design were used as the fire starter (fire gecko) and Blaziken were the grass starter (jungle kickboxing chicken), Blaziken would be considered the lamest starter of all time and Sceptile the coolest. Type bias, in a word.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I havea theory: If Sceptile's design were used as the fire starter (fire gecko) and Blaziken were the grass starter (jungle kickboxing chicken), Blaziken would be considered the lamest starter of all time and Sceptile the coolest. Type bias, in a word.
An oxmoron, really. Fire is the coolest.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
It took something as ugly as Delphox for the fire starter to finally be the least popular.

And is it just me or is Typhlosion inexplicibly underrated? Way cooler than Blaziken, i mean it's a volcanic, menacing-as-f*** bear-wolf looking thing. How did karate chicken eclipse this mofo?

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Although I like Groyvle's design more, count me as a supporter. I wouldn't mind having this guy in smash.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Who do you thinks more likely to get into smash Sceptile or Mewtwo
It's very tough actually; most would say Mewtwo hands down, and I would agree with most of their reasoning. But I could also see Greninja and Lucario being Pokemon that won priority over Mewtwo, Lucario in Brawl, Lucario for Mega representation in X/Y, Greninja as the X/Y rep, all of which Mewtwo could have covered. Sceptile has more promotional value at this point and would complete the trio of starter types, which I think is nearly a necessity to the Pokemon franchise after we had Pokemon Trainer, whose purpose was to better represent who you actually play as in Pokemon games. Then, both Sceptile and Mewtwo could potentially both have a charge ball special move, Energy Ball and Shadow Ball, which would be dull seeing that we already have Aura Sphere and Water Shuriken. So if Mewtwo does strike back, I would hope he gets some new moves that better represent his Psychic powers, I could see Psycho Cut working as a different, slash based projectile move. Yet my moveset for Sceptile is pretty unique from the other Pokemon. Then there's the argument about Greninja's Katanas vs Sceptiles Leaf Blades. Take that as you will. Bottom line, I think Mewtwo wins in the sake of popularity, deservingness, and people pleasing, but Sceptile is a more logical and diverse choice that is better for promoting the new games, plus the franchise could use an underdog. So my gut tells me Mewtwo wins out, but my brain and heart say Sceptile. To be honest, I'd prefer we get both and respectfully retire Jigglypuff. We have Sonic, Kirby, and likely Pacman that all have some similarities and moveset potential, granted none of them can use Rest offensively. So common consensus seems to put Mewtwo and Jigglypuff as anymore Pokemon reps we'll see in Smash 4. I predict sad grass starter trainers being unrepresented.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
I would say that sceptile is 100 % the third likeliest poke 4 smash right after mewtwo and puffs, witch isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I'm not biased against types at all. I'm saying that based purely on design, Sceptile is the lamest. Heck, I liked Ivysaur the most out of the original 3 starters. I think Swampert is the coolest of these 3, actually, but since Greninja is in, and I kind of like him now, this is the way I'd prefer it: Ivysaur, Blaziken and Greninja.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not biased against types at all. I'm saying that based purely on design, Sceptile is the lamest. Heck, I liked Ivysaur the most out of the original 3 starters. I think Swampert is the coolest of these 3, actually, but since Greninja is in, and I kind of like him now, this is the way I'd prefer it: Ivysaur, Blaziken and Greninja.
What does this help, though? if they are going to add in a random middle evolution-family, what is the point of even having the trio? Ivysaur was not even popular before smash.

It took something as ugly as Delphox for the fire starter to finally be the least popular.

And is it just me or is Typhlosion inexplicibly underrated? Way cooler than Blaziken, i mean it's a volcanic, menacing-as-f*** bear-wolf looking thing. How did karate chicken eclipse this mofo?
I agree; Typhlosion is the best fire design. Ironically, I'd afterwards rate it gens (for fire): 2, 4 (only cool fire fighting, sorry.. look at them), 6 (witches are awesome),
and then the ones I do not even like, which all look rather week
5, 1, 3
Blaziken and Charizard at the bottom of this this. Charizards proportions are just terrible and make him seem unstable, Blaziken has no redeeming qualities in my book, other than using feet to kick, his design is bland and tasteless.

This remarks on them as fighters and appearance of strength as well.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
What does this help, though? if they are going to add in a random middle evolution-family, what is the point of even having the trio? Ivysaur was not even popular before smash.
I'm sorry but your question makes no sense lol. What does what help? What is it supposed to help? What do you mean?

I want the trio for the same reason some people want Waluigi. To make the roster feel complete.

It's just my personal preference, and that's why I want Ivysaur.

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
I highly doubt it, only because 3 fully-evolved starters would be over-representation of a certain aspect of Pokémon which, while they are all definitely popular Pokémon, in reality don't hold any weight over other popular Pokémon such as... Electivire, for example. Besides, if Sceptile or Greninja were normal Pokémon as opposed to starters, I can guarantee you that they would not be as popular as they are now. I was OK with the 3 starter Pokémon in Brawl because they were all a part of one character slot, Pokémon Trainer, and they were all different stages of starters. Because of this, I would be more behind Grovyle (final smash could be the Time Gears, something which Sceptile cannot do, while Sceptile can't really do anything Grovyle also can't do) than Sceptile, but overall I would much rather a different Hoenn Pokémon such as (if you know me from my earlier years) Plusle and Minun!

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I highly doubt it, only because 3 fully-evolved starters would be over-representation of a certain aspect of Pokémon which, while they are all definitely popular Pokémon, in reality don't hold any weight over other popular Pokémon such as... Electivire, for example. Besides, if Sceptile or Greninja were normal Pokémon as opposed to starters, I can guarantee you that they would not be as popular as they are now. I was OK with the 3 starter Pokémon in Brawl because they were all a part of one character slot, Pokémon Trainer, and they were all different stages of starters. Because of this, I would be more behind Grovyle (final smash could be the Time Gears, something which Sceptile cannot do, while Sceptile can't really do anything Grovyle also can't do) than Sceptile, but overall I would much rather a different Hoenn Pokémon such as (if you know me from my earlier years) Plusle and Minun!
I don't think we should see any overlap of typing in Pokemon reps. We have Electric, Steel, Fighting, Fire, Flying, Dark, Water, and then Normal/Fairy, Psychic, and Grass (and poison if Ivy were to come back) within question at this point.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we should see any overlap of typing in Pokemon reps. We have Electric, Steel, Fighting, Fire, Flying, Dark, Water, and then Normal/Fairy, Psychic, and Grass (and poison if Ivy were to come back) within question at this point.
Either puffs, mewtwo or a grass type is confirmed 4 smash.
But if Sceptile mega is Dragon or Dark or flying, there will be type overlaping. If he is in smash,

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There is absolutely no reality in Ivysaur coming back if Squirtle does not... that is absurd.

Top Bottom