• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Food Disscusion

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So my brother recently marinated some chicken in tandoori powder, curry powder, turmeric and olive oil and it was really good, so I decided to use the same mixture to marinate some fish (basa fillet) I baked and it was still amazing. And then I even tried using it to fry some zucchini and kale and that turned out great as well (the kale came out nice and crispy too, it was awesome).

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with tandoori but man, I'm gonna put this **** on everything.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think the tastiest dessert I've ever made was something that I made for a graphic design class that asked us to try something we're bad at/new at and document the results. I chose baking since, well, it's pretty rare for me to come out with something unburned (sometimes the dish, usually my hand).

What I improvised up was banana bread stuffed with Nutella and covered with a white raisin rum sauce.
Unh. I want to eat more of that right now.

I made banana brownies yesterday but forgot to take pics. =X

Or those. I'd eat those too. Right now.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Pretty sure it was less about its great taste and more about the SATISFACTION of successfully doing it.
My first (successful) pastry also tasted godlike for me.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yeah dude. Knowing you have the knowledge and ability to make something that's awesome definitely feels rad; especially with food.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

sauteed mushrooms and Shrimp over long grain and wild rice.
[/URL][/IMG]

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Made some spinach and mushroom quiche (I too am a big fan of mushrooms)

Doesn't look too good in the photo but that's just my ****ty camera. It looked much better in person and it was delicious

Attachments

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Looks better than most other pics in here tbh [minus the super-professional ones by TM].

:059:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Made some spinach and mushroom quiche (I too am a big fan of mushrooms)

Doesn't look too good in the photo but that's just my ****ty camera. It looked much better in person and it was delicious
It looks like a slice of pie. I have to say though that a combination of spinach and mushrooms sound so god tier!
Looks better than most other pics in here tbh [minus the super-professional ones by TM].
Hey, I think my pics are pretty good. D:

(You are right about TM's pics though).

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I have to say though that a combination of spinach and mushrooms sound so god tier!
Yeah I like it quite a bit. In fact, fairly often (I think I did this less than a week ago) I'll just sauté spinach and mushrooms in butter, and then sprinkle some black pepper on and eat that as my whole meal (usually dinner). It's really good

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
In fact, fairly often (I think I did this less than a week ago) I'll just sauté spinach and mushrooms in butter, and then sprinkle some black pepper on and eat that as my whole meal (usually dinner). It's really good
And you just gave me something to try out the first chance I get. Thanks.

To show you my gratitude, I affectionately shower you with this:
http://youtu.be/m9FRSghXhDM

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Well sorry my phone went through the wash and my camera is all ruining. Sheesh

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Mex style mac n cheese 2.0 with new ingredients

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So I'm always hearing that the pizza in NYC is really good, and after SKTAR 2 we had an 8 hour layover in NYC so we decided to get pizza for lunch while sightseeing. Went to a place called Sbarro.

Spinach & mushroom pizza, and pepperoni pizza. It was really good, infinitely better than any pizza I've ever had in Toronto.

Attachments

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
There are rumours about NY's and Chicago's pizzas being the best, I heard one that it's because the water filters they have, so water has better quality there than in other parts of the world... or something like that...

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
What's Dubai's take on pizza like? I know New York has a bit of a old world style by the slice thing going and Chicago has their deep dish gimmick so I'd like to know what Dubai's style is since that's one of the more random places I'd expect to have a pizza claim to fame.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'll be honest... most of the time when I want tasty pizza, I just go to Domino's...

So I'm always hearing that the pizza in NYC is really good, and after SKTAR 2 we had an 8 hour layover in NYC so we decided to get pizza for lunch while sightseeing. Went to a place called Sbarro.

Spinach & mushroom pizza, and pepperoni pizza. It was really good, infinitely better than any pizza I've ever had in Toronto.
Hmm. Sbarro is a pretty big nation-wide pizza chain, and I never really liked their pizza... I keep giving it another try and ending up disappointed. But I guess I've never had pizza in Toronto, so it's hard for me to compare. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

Sometime it'd be fun to go to a Pizza Festival and do a side-by-side comparison with authentic Italian pizza to New York to Chicago and so on.

Sure, I'm horribly lactose intolerant, but... well... we all gotta make some sacrifices for tasty food.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I guess Dubai Pizza has the same background as NY Pizza - italian immigrants who preserved the original way of making quality pizza. Sadly, in europe this has gotten rather rare ever since we got flooded by US junkfood corporations. But the italians that live in the USA or in UAE have managed to keep the "good" way of making pizza popular and successful. I'm sure the one's in Dubai are earning some damn good money too.

Edit: I never actually had NY Pizza though so it's all hearsay. I personally prefer the "traditional" italian pizza with thin, crispy dough and rich topping over the american style pizza with soft, fluffy dough.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Oh, well if Sbarro was a nation-wide chain then it was probably not the greatest NY pizza out there. But I loved it and we don't have Sbarro in Canada (or at least, not in Toronto) so that probably says something about how bad our pizza is XD

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
New Yorkers are very opinionated and passionate about their pizza. Sbarro places locations at tourist trap areas. They actually have over 1,000 locations worldwide. Though they are New York style, it just doesn't compare to the real thing. You're much better off finding a random local mom-and-pop location and you'll enjoy yourself.

People are intimidate at making their own doughs, but I highly recommend this article: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html
The Sicilian dough recipe is really easy and the leftovers reheat well even in the microwave.

For the lazy pizza, French bread pizza is awesome and ridiculously easy. French bread + jarred tomato sauce + shredded cheese + whatever you want, oven or toaster oven. Done.

I was trying to figure out how to use up some kale, so I sautéed it with bacon and gnocchi:

I made a sauce by melting some gorgonzola and pasta water, but it was too salty. I should have just stuck with the parmigiano.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Pasta is always a good choice.

Speaking of good choices, I was at this pizza place a couple weeks ago (some local joint) and they happen to serve pizza AND pasta (unheard of!). Well I got to thinking "Let's order something bizarre", so I called for two vegetarian pizza slices without mushrooms and elbow pasta with pulled chicken and Mariana sauce. I took the toppings off of one pizza and mixed it into the pasta, then ate that plain pizza. After finishing the pasta, I finished off that other piece of pizza.

My conclusion? One satisfied customer. I wish I had taken a picture.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm making steak and mushroom stir fry. I'm sauteing the mushrooms in butter/ garlic sauce and adding them with broccoli and other vegetables along with steak over long grain and wild rice

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Stuffed some mushroom caps with scrambled eggs for breakfast. Was good, but probably would have been better if I had butter and sauteed only one side of the mushroom caps.

Sauteed the mushroom stalks as well

Attachments

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Broccoli is very low in calories. Mustard's fairly low in calories too. Oh and if you make coffee/tea/anything with table sugar at home, use stevia instead. It has a lower calorie/gram value and you also use way less since it's apparently 300x sweeter than sucrose. I myself use it in tea, I'm not sure about the figure 300 as it definitely seems like I'm using a higher volume of stevia than 1/300th of the table sugar I'd normally use, but it's still significantly sweeter than sugar and I definitely use a lot less stevia than I would sugar.

I knew about those 3 already and don't have much else, but now I'm actually just typing in random foods into google in the form "______ calories" (eg "chicken calories") and google occasionally returns a calories/100g value in the same way it returns definitions and mathematical solutions. It seems other greens (eg spinach and kale) are also fairly low in calories.

But yeah I'd say broccoli is the most filling out of those.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
I knew about broccoli, and I think celery is also healthy. Quick question: I know stevia comes from the stevia leaf, but how organic is it really? I worry about artificial sweeteners.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well the brand I use is called 'now' and it's certified organic, and the only thing listed in the ingredients is 'Organic stevia extract powder (leaf)'. Problem is, this brand's logo has a canadian maple leaf (like our flag) on it so I don't know if you'll be able to find it.

With just a quick google search I found a brand called 'pyure' that supposedly prides themselves on making tasty organic stevia-related/stevia-sweetened things, and they sell pure stevia extract. You could probably just go with that, or just go with something else you find on google.

I don't know too much about stevia to be honest but I'm fairly certain it's a natural sweetener, not an artificial one. If anything plain table sugar would strike me as a more artificial sweetener.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Every time I try to research the effects of artificial sugars on the human body, the negative effects are always inconclusive. I haven' found any hard evidence to support that they are unhealthy for you.

But then I think, "Well, it is artificial and cannot be broken down." Sure it helps in that it keeps the sweet taste without the calories, but I'm wary about the long-term use of such additives. I don't know what to do.

In other news, I am hungry. It is currently 1:36 p.m. I ate last at 10:30 a.m. I have eaten 110 calories of the 500 calories I have allotted myself. Water keeps the beast inside at bay, but I cannot help but wonder if he will soon break out of his cage. Only time will tell. Tune in next time for the adventures of StealthyGunnar in "Let's Lose Weight: First World Problems Edition (I have food but won't eat it)"!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Every time I try to research the effects of artificial sugars on the human body, the negative effects are always inconclusive. I haven' found any hard evidence to support that they are unhealthy for you.

But then I think, "Well, it is artificial and cannot be broken down." Sure it helps in that it keeps the sweet taste without the calories, but I'm wary about the long-term use of such additives. I don't know what to do.

In other news, I am hungry. It is currently 1:36 p.m. I ate last at 10:30 a.m. I have eaten 110 calories of the 500 calories I have allotted myself. Water keeps the beast inside at bay, but I cannot help but wonder if he will soon break out of his cage. Only time will tell. Tune in next time for the adventures of StealthyGunnar in "Let's Lose Weight: First World Problems Edition (I have food but won't eat it)"!

I feel like the most helpful thing to do is to not get drinks that have a lot of sugar or artificial sugar, just try to get something that naturally tastes good with lower amounts of sweetener (various green/white tea products or coconut water if that's what you're into, for instance).

For a healthier dessert, I like to go for something where a small amount goes a long way, like a piece of dark chocolate. It's nice because it generally will already be segmented out, so you can force yourself to only grab one or two segments and then put it away.

I rather dislike the taste of most fake sweeteners, but even so... I also err on the side of caution as far as drinking too much of it. Go natural, just go less.

On a related but "eh" note, my girlfriend and I are gonna go on a juicey-soupy liquid diet in a week or two after we move to our new place.

I'm not sure how excited I am about it. Probably not very?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Every time you look for effects of eating whatever it will most likely result on it being bad for human body. Just don't.

Most vegetables are low in calories, and I use to eat LOTS of fruits like melon, watermelon, cucumber, papaya, jicama, orange, and most of all, apples. I don't remember if honey is low or high on calories, but I use to use honey for salads as well.

Now, if you keep the servings small, you will be needing to eat more often (like, 6 times a day), but you'll keep the diet and most importantly, your energy without really feeling the starvation.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Legumes have a very benefitial ratio of satuation, nutrients and dietary fiber. You should replace bread with heavily refined flour with them.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Every time you look for effects of eating whatever it will most likely result on it being bad for human body. Just don't.

Most vegetables are low in calories, and I use to eat LOTS of fruits like melon, watermelon, cucumber, papaya, jicama, orange, and most of all, apples. I don't remember if honey is low or high on calories, but I use to use honey for salads as well.

Now, if you keep the servings small, you will be needing to eat more often (like, 6 times a day), but you'll keep the diet and most importantly, your energy without really feeling the starvation.
I love the majority of fruit (bananas, blueberries, and cantaloupe are my favorties) and some vegetables (beans, carrots, peas).

And my normal diet consists of 5-6 small meals a day. But since I stopped exercising, I needed to get rid of calories some other way. So I'm trying out this new "fasting diet." Eat normally for 4 days, and eat 500 calories on the 5th day. I'll let you know how it works.

Top Bottom