• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Food Disscusion

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't eat cup ramen lol. I have packaged ramen, and cook the ramen myself before reboiling soup + goodies.
I have ramen like that too. I don't bother using the flavor packet that's included (too much sodium and all), so I add my own spices plus one or two eggs into the boiling soup. After a lot if experimenting, I find that rosemary and crushed mint makes the flavor decent without the flavor packet. lol

So we have a good ol' pozole at home.
It's not the traditional red soup (due to the meat juices), this one is white-green, it has a lot of grounded onion, garlic and coriander, plus the pork meat and pozole corn as the main ingredients.
I'm yet to taste it (still cooking), but so far it looks and smells great.
I owe you a photo.
Given how amazing that sounds, I would so love to see a photo. :D

This thread makes me want to learn how to cook. x__x
Interestingly enough, many of the things I cook are things I never actually learned, but merely experimented with. I like to think of food as my color palette and the stove as my canvas, with the end result being a finished painting - masterpiece or otherwise. I mean, sure, actually learning to cook does help a lot, such as stirring ground meat properly, etc., but isn't necessarily required to make a potentially awesome dish. I made my start in cooking by experimenting with eggs; in my opinion, one of the most versatile foods in cooking. :3

:phone:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A fat cinnamon-raisin bagel breakfast sandwich with cream cheese, a fried egg, slice of fried ham, and slice of melty cheddar. Served with a little cup of homebrewed Starbucks coffee and vanilla creamer.

I would have taken a pic, but I eated it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've never actually tried making a homemade dip, so that's something that could be worth doing. Would cream cheese be a good ingredient to put in a homemade dip?

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I've never actually tried making a homemade dip, so that's something that could be worth doing. Would cream cheese be a good ingredient to put in a homemade dip?

My mom gets cream cheese soft and blends it with a small can of chipotles and tuna. Can't think of anything else that would resemble a dip with cream cheese.

If you wanna try making something easy from scratch make hummus; all you need is chickpeas, tahini, garlic and some spices.

EDIT: A quick Google search should give you a good recipe that appeals to what you like.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My mom gets cream cheese soft and blends it with a small can of chipotles and tuna. Can't think of anything else that would resemble a dip with cream cheese.

If you wanna try making something easy from scratch make hummus; all you need is chickpeas, tahini, garlic and some spices.

EDIT: A quick Google search should give you a good recipe that appeals to what you like.
Thanks. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I'll be sure to post a pic whenever I get around to making my own dip.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Another thing is to make experiments.
As in, seriously, if I wouldn't have experimented with it, I would never have guessed cardamom was sweet instead of spicy like pepper, even though they look very alike.

But yeah, creamcheese is good for texture and has close to no flavor.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I will have to start hoarding pumpkin spice everything soon. The season is almost over.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Plain ol' white rice, soy sauce, spicy sauce (they need some better English term for that, sounds lame) and chicken. Don't forget the veggies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently there are 5 basic flavors now, and not 4 like they taught in school.

Salty, Sweet, Bitter, Sour, and a new one called Umami.

That sounds funny, probably because it's a Japanese word. Apparently it means "Yummy" or something to that degree.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They didn't start teaching it until sometime after 2002, but that is the official term apparently

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I remember reading about that not too long ago. They recently isolated the compound which activates the umami receptors. The receptors were found a while back; probably 2002, I dunno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I remember reading about that not too long ago. They recently isolated the compound which activates the umami receptors. The receptors were found a while back; probably 2002, I dunno.
It's Glutamic acid

Edit: Glutamic acid is MSG. We have a taste bud dedicated to MSG. That is WEIRD

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Yes, umami is a thing.
afaik, there was a debate about it, which flavor it was and who would name it. Obviosuly, the oriental people won, and its main (maybe only?) representative is the monosodium glutamate, a "spice" which is well-known and very used in asia. Used probably too much.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
MSG is a naturally occurring substance. It is bountiful in seaweed, which is used often in Japanese cooking. When soldiers came back to the States back in the day, they missed the savory cooking. Turns out they were mostly missing MSG.

It's commonly sold as "meat enhancer" haha. Just read the ingredients and you'll see the only one is monosodium glutamate.

I've heard a lot of people tell me it gives them allergies, yet I've read some studies that say it doesn't have that effect and people are just suffering from a placebo effect. Who knows.

Though it's delicious in stir fries and soups, I prefer foods that use the foods rich in MSG rather than the pure chemical itself. Dashi ^_^

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I have a 25$ check for a Thai Restaurant. Any recommendations on what I should try?

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Thai iced tea!

Pad Thai is "the orange chicken of Thailand" in terms of its popularity and *******ization. But it's easy to try and can be awesome.

If it looks like a high-end place, go for the seafood or duck. Otherwise, stick with the curries or pork dishes.

Staff usually knows what's best, as long as it's not the college kid server who doesn't know much about the place in the first place.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Eggs+sausage+bacon with coffee and Naked Green Machine juice. My morning glory.

Thai iced tea!

Pad Thai is "the orange chicken of Thailand" in terms of its popularity and *******ization. But it's easy to try and can be awesome.
I never know what's in the tea, but it's definitely a staple. The Thai's use of peanut is pretty brilliant.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
I loooove Thai iced tea!

Just went cherry picking, where the cherries were huge and sweet and delicious! <3

And then stopped off on the way home to have parmesan and truffle fries, mmhmmmmm. It's like food crack!

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Fries with truffle oil.

I'm snoody with truffle oil though, since the truffle flavor is synthetic. There are some manufacturers who claim to use real truffle extract, yet I've read articles that state there's no way to extract truffle flavor into oil.

My consensus: truffle fries are generally delicious not because of truffle, but because restaurants who like to be fancy by throwing in the word 'truffle' usually are smart enough to know how to cook a mean fry.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eh, as far as I'm concerned getting large fries at Burger King and topping it with Nacho Cheese is good enough

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Cheese fries are all I ate for lunch through high school.

I stayed surprisingly thin back then, and in shape. Probably because I had 2 PE classes

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
lol, precisely yesterday I was watching a Master Chef episode when they were auditioning people, and judges (including Ramsey himself) gave really strong, bad critiques when someone used the truffle oil.

They just didn't like the idea, and even called it a bad ingredient because it wasn't natural truffle oil, plus its flavor was waaaay too obtrusive for the dish.
They even said that if they'd see the restaurant uses truffle oil, they'd leave lol

Top Bottom