• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Food Disscusion

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think the biggest thing for me with truffles (even if it is oil), is the smell, combined with the cheese just make it absolutely intoxicating. After all, all senses are involved with eating. And then chips are just awesome. You guys should try these sometime and then tell me they're not delicious c:

And while we're on the topic of truffles, my favourite way of having them ever, is melted in to cheese and spread on to bread, like I had at this dinner:

Omgaawwddd <3

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I Don't like mushrooms, so I don't imagine I'd like truffles

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I for one, love mushrooms and most edible fungi.

Now, truffles in nature are pretty rare, so I doubt about truffle products... But I would definetly give it a shot if I get a chance to.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know I like mushrooms on Pizza.

Maybe I just need to find the right recipes for mushrooms.

Though it also depends what kind of mushrooms are on the pizza as well. I had a spinach pizza with mushrooms and it was HORRIBLE.

All I know is I can't stand them raw, and because of how they taste raw I refuse to try cooked mushroom recipes. Except on pizza

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
lol, precisely yesterday I was watching a Master Chef episode when they were auditioning people, and judges (including Ramsey himself) gave really strong, bad critiques when someone used the truffle oil.

They just didn't like the idea, and even called it a bad ingredient because it wasn't natural truffle oil, plus its flavor was waaaay too obtrusive for the dish.
They even said that if they'd see the restaurant uses truffle oil, they'd leave lol
I saw that clip haha. They were just being over-dramatic for TV. If you watch Ramsay's YouTube channel, he even uses truffle oil himself in one of his clips.

Most people who have had truffle oil (including myself) don't even know what real truffles taste like :(

I had tamales yesterday too :) best part about Christmas in the southwest.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I saw that clip haha. They were just being over-dramatic for TV. If you watch Ramsay's YouTube channel, he even uses truffle oil himself in one of his clips.
Fair enough, that's how the TV world is like, I suppose.
Hell, I even doubt Ramsey really is that mean and shouts to people in his kitchen in order to humiliate them.
Most people who have had truffle oil (including myself) don't even know what real truffles taste like :(
All I have is our Chef doing her best to describe it...
Haven't tasted truffles (black or white), ever.
I had tamales yesterday too :) best part about Christmas in the southwest.
See my location? We have like 10 kinds of tamales to choose, every day of the year.
Plus, doing them isn't hard, as long as you can get husks of corn and the right Nixtamal dough.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I decided to make Sushi for the first time.

Unagi

Ika (And Masago)

Unagi and Ika (Everything Roll)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unagi, Ika, Masago, Avacado, Cucumber, Surimi

Depending on which one

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So the other day I was alone and made spaghetti with a sause with stuff I found.

First I toasted tomato and red pepper, and grounded them with garlic. Then I fried bacon and added grounded meat. After the meat was cooked, I added the tomato (here I added the salt, a smaaaaall bit of pepper, cardamom (I still have a lot), and paprika). Then vegetables carrot, peas and corn (for some reason I didn't add the jicama I had ready, though) and let it reduce.

After that, I tasted it, and it was great, but I felt it was missing something. I added a bit of vinegar, but it ruined the sauce :C

Funny enough, even though it was waaaay too sour, once combined with the spaghetti it evened up, added parmesan and it was now great.
Then, with bread it was amazing.

I'll post the photo later, my internet is acting up.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had lots of Ika left over, so I enjoyed it as sushimi.

Ika is actually my favorite sashimi

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
My dad and I made brownies from scratch with a merengue topping for New Year's but I forgot to take pics. =X

EDIT: I'm dumb, lel.

Shök

Smash Champion
Thundermistress slayed me with those pictures. Lord, help me.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Here's some food I ate at a Chinese buffet yesterday with my girlfriend and stepdaughter. I know there were orange chicken, boneless spare ribs, sushi, baked salmon with cheese, fried fish, and roast beef, amog other things. I didn't get a pic of all the food items, but here are te few I did take:

:phone:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
One thing that characterizes Chinese buffets... all the food shine.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm not sure how it is over there, but here chinese food mostly means tons of vegetables with meat and fried stuff.
It surely is a test for your stomach's capacity rather than flat-out unhealthy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Over here chinese food means TONS of sauce, covering lots of meat...with some vegies

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mmm, I love unagi! <3 Sushi and sashimi are some of my favourite things to eat as well!

I tend not to go out for Chinese, as I'm spoilt with lovely home-cooked Chinese n___n Mum roasts her own pork belly...that crackling! <3

Went out for brunch with the boy at a new cafe today, sorry dunno the tag to hide photos...:c

Bone marrow, morcilla (black pudding), egg yolk emulsion (the yellow stuff on top of the morcilla) with fennel and capers. And buttery buttery brioche. Divinity!

And then had this lemon cake, coated in soft meringue with lemon curd and salted caramel in the middle. Oh my gosssh, was amazing!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
(collapse)(/collapse)
Change the () for []

Those look certainly delicious

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I'm not sure how it is over there, but here chinese food mostly means tons of vegetables with meat and fried stuff.
It surely is a test for your stomach's capacity rather than flat-out unhealthy.
It's interesting how here in Tijuana we have a ton of Chinese restaurants (since there's a large Chinese population in my state) and the food is very heavy on vegetables and roasted meats whereas in San Diego (right across the border) Chinese food is VERY different since almost everything is like orange chicken (fried stuff w/ sweet sauce). I guess it's a cultural thing reflecting the way food is adapted to appeal to people's palate in different cultures and stuff like that.

Random note, one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had was from a Chinese restaurant in northern California, lol.

Pictures of food!
Awesome stuff!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe the vegetable difference is because the difference of economy between Mexico and the United States. Since vegetables are cheaper than meat

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'd also vote for cultural, most americans don't really eat vegetables.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Americans do eat vegetables now that pizza is a vegetable.
Maybe the vegetable difference is because the difference of economy between Mexico and the United States. Since vegetables are cheaper than meat
I doubt that since meat isn't expensive here in the north. If meats were too expensive or not profitable enough to serve then they wouldn't be offered or there would be a very disproportionate ratio of veggies to meats. At the two Chinese restaurants I frequent most the dishes have a pretty good balance of meat and veggies and the portions are large enough for two people to eat so I don't think cost is an issue.

If anything were to reflect economic factors it would be that I don't see many Chinese buffets here but there's a large number of Chinese places in San Diego. Even so, buffets generally offer cheaper fare in terms of cost and preparation (e.g. 4 types of noodles) since you have to make your profits on large volume of customers rather than set increments per order since the start-up, operation and food costs are greater. In a way the buffet inverts the model even though the goal to remain profitable is the same.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Bone marrow and morcilla is mmmmmmmmmmmm. Good ol' fat. I don't think I'll ever get a chance to visit the Normandy area of France, but if I do I'm coming to you for foodie destination suggestions.

Americans have a sense of entitlement and pride for beef and still have a belief that you need lots of it to grow big and strong. They also tend to feel jipped if they pay money for an entree and get mostly veggies. They don't treasure meat like in many other cultures — they thrive on it.
I'll stop myself from going on a rant about the major environmental impacts of the massive commercial meat industry because I'm guilty of buying and enjoying cheap meat and also enjoying rare delicacies. Nothing satisfies like a steak, and toro is divine.

Traditionally in China, the veggie:meat ratio is much higher than what's served in most Chinese-American restaurants.

Bosnian food has tons of grilled meat and sausages. I'm surprised it hasn't gained popularity in the States.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Making (Turkey) sausage and shrimp Gumbo.

Pissed store didn't have okra

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Bosnian food has tons of grilled meat and sausages. I'm surprised it hasn't gained popularity in the States.
It's probably because there aren't enough significant Bosnian immigrant communities to introduce it to the mainstream.

Also, I really think that a Brasil style meat on a sword steakhouse would be huge in the US. People like meat and swords so if you put them together you can only profit right?

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Long time no see guys! So anyways, recently I've been trying to learn how to cook several different Chinese inspired dishes. As I've spent a year and a half in China now, and have even unlocked the "Asian Girlfriend" lifetime achievement award, I've slowly been learning how it is they like to construct their dishes, and have been trying to make some stuff for myself and for my parents while on holiday back home.

One vegetable I really enjoy eating is called WaWa Cai (娃娃菜) (sometimes translated into Engrish as "baby food"). Basically, it seems to me to be like a younger version of the traditional white cabbage (bak choi) (白菜)you may be familiar with. In China, my favorite recipe containing WaWa Cai is called "Gangguo Wawa Cai" (looking something like the picture below), which contains some extra ingredients that I haven't yet built up the courage to use or find here in the USA. For me, coming from a family where every day is a concoction of my dad's newfound interest in baking, and the high fat Puerto Rican cuisine I was brought up in, this dish makes for a great refresher in knowing that you don't have to sacrifice taste in order to get health benefits.

The way I like to make it is to take a metric ****ton of chopped Chinese White Cabbage, Onions, Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Green and Red Chillis, Salt, Pepper, Oil, and Water and sort of shove it all into a wok until it cooks down to a softer, mushier texture. If you've done it right, the little water you've poured in should have prevented the vegetable from burning, and should be quite spicy and sour in flavor. The soy sauce should have darkened the color of the dish quite a bit, from a bright white to a dull yellow with traces of light brown in the juice. Depending on the amount of chillis you put in you can control the level of spice. My girlfriend is particularly fond of firebutt syndrome, so she likes to put just enough chillis to make me want to amputate my tongue. In any case, it makes for a pretty healthy and low calorie dish that you can combine with white rice if it's too hot for you.

This is what I'll be eating exclusively for the next two months in order to lose the weight I gained during the Christmas holidays. Curse you whipped cream! :mad:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Something we made for dinner some time ago. Today, we have something quick and simple:

Packaged popcorn chicken, only this time, we added a sauce made by a friend of ours. She didn't specify too much on the ingredients, but did say it has lemon and honey in it with a hint of spiciness. Trust me when I say it made processed popcorn chicken taste really good, especially when baked at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Then we made a salad to go with it. We took your everyday lettuce, and added apples, olives, grapes, and mozzarella. They meshed surprisingly well.

Here is the end result:

Embarrassingly, I don't remember what salad dressing we used. I would've used blue cheese, but we were low on condiments, so we used whatever salad dressing we could find. Eating the chicken with the salad together was great, as the sweet and spicy flavor from the sauce on the chicken with the flavor of the fruits and lettuce worked very well.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Packaged popcorn chicken, only this time, we added a sauce made by a friend of ours. She didn't specify too much on the ingredients, but did say it has lemon and honey in it with a hint of spiciness. Trust me when I say it made processed popcorn chicken taste really good, especially when baked at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Honey+Lemon is OP.
Then we made a salad to go with it. We took your everyday lettuce, and added apples, olives, grapes, and mozzarella. They meshed surprisingly well.
I'm not fan of non-melted mozzarella, but I bet it was great regardless, apple and grapes in salad are always great.

You clearly don't have any experience wielding blades.
I don't, but I at least know how to be careful.
An average person though...

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
lol it's not like they use dangerous samurai swords or anything, it's basically a long stick where they put the meat and they slice it from there.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
lol I don't expect them to be any sharper than a broom stick.
It's just that I'm still with a philosophy of "always expect people to be lazy and/or stupid".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just ate some pork cracklings.

I had just a couple, but I feel like I'm fat now.

Something about fried pork skin and fat is just delicious though.

I haven't eaten them in 10 years, and it'll be another 10 before I even think of eating them again

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I believe us Puerto Ricans call pork cracklings "chicharrones" based on the description. I'll tell you now, I will destroy those things every chance I get. Fortunately for my veins and heart, that chance is prrretty rare. lol

Just something to say to the Food Thread, my girlfriend and I are going to make a massive lasagna at some point, though not sure when. We have all the ingredients ready, including several kinds of cheeses. We also plan to put (fried) bacon in it, because A: it's bacon and B: clearly, our arteries need even more punishment. We plan on taking pics of every ingredient and process to show off here, so when the time comes to show you guys, expect a really long and detailed post (probably the most ambitious Food Thread post I'm ever going to do). :D

Top Bottom